The Great JWFan Challenge - Separating Men from Boys

BLUMENKOHL

If you've ever seen the relatively crappy yet amusing fluff of comedy movie "40 Days and 40 Nights" it's about a guy that decided to stay celibate for 40 days and 40 nights after a break up (aka no shaking hands with the governor, if you catch my drift).

Well, since I'm sure most of us need no help staying celibate, being John Williams fans, I thought of an even more terrifying challenge to undertake. 40 days and 40 nights of not listening to any pure music CD/on computer/in car/iPod/etc. Watching movies and that sort of thing is OK. If you're the composing type, you can even write your music, even play your piano. But no listening to recorded music if you can help it! (Obviously being in a mall and hearing Katy Perry is not an infraction against you).

Now you may be asking, "Why Blumenkohl, would we want to emulate a crappy movie?" John Williams has mentioned in interviews before that he maintains a degree of musical celibacy most of the time, especially when he is working. So if you can't fathom emulating a movie, fathom emulating a divine being! And there's other benefits too. For example if you write music your head will be clear and your writing will be from within than influenced by everything else. If you just love listening to music, you probably are like most of us and listen until all the music starts to blur together. This will help regain a bit of musical virginity. If you've never had the pleasure of returning to music (which most of you in this iPod age probably have not) after a while of not listening, it is a truly marvelous experience.

I'm thinking we set a start date of Tuesday January 11, 2011 to give everyone a chance to decide to join in the challenge. The 40 day mark will be Sunday February 20, 2011. Though I honestly doubt anyone us will last that long. We're going by the honor system, so check in on a relatively regular basis with your status. If you listen to music and don't report it, MediaVentures and RCP people will come by at night and chop your ears off.

The Few, The Proud, The Men and Women

Participant Days
Blumenkohl 1
Mother (Hitch) 1
Datameister [?] -
BurgaFlippinMan 1
Luke Skywalker 1
Hlao-roo 1
ETAndElliot4Ever 1
-
-

Winners:

LOSERS:

Blumenkohl - 20 Days

Boys/Girls:

John Crichton

richuk

Mark Olivarez

Wojo

Ro Sajooc

Charlie Brigden

Trent

Thor

Koray Savas

Chuck McKnight

indy4

magical_me

crocodile

Prometheus

Maglorfin

redrabbit

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tempting. I love that feeling of listening to music for the first time in a while. But 40 days? Nah, I can't do it, at least not right now. I've got a number of different music editing projects and so forth going, for starters, and those would require listening to bits and pieces of recorded music. Maybe if I get my projects done before this challenge is over, I'll join in for however many days are left...

Tempting. I love that feeling of listening to music for the first time in a while. But 40 days? Nah, I can't do it, at least not right now. I've got a number of different music editing projects and so forth going, for starters, and those would require listening to bits and pieces of recorded music. Maybe if I get my projects done before this challenge is over, I'll join in for however many days are left...

You can drop out whenever you like, or come in whenever, that's fine. Like I said I don't think anyone will make it to 40 days, but it should be good fun to see how long we can go before we see remnants of exploded brain lying around.

So no radio or anything whatsoever? In other words, I can't intentionally listen to music?

Yup, basically. Better program the radio for Talk Radio!

You can drop out whenever you like, or come in whenever, that's fine. Like I said I don't think anyone will make it to 40 days, but it should be good fun to see how long we can go before we see remnants of exploded brain lying around.

Cool. :) Well, I hope you get some serious participants. Heck, even after a week without it, music feels so fresh and exciting and new again.

I'm going to try to do this. So the rest of this evening and tomorrowI'm trying to get all the music in I possibly can. I feel like I will disappoint myself in how fast I break, thinking of all the times I'm driving home and just blasting some music is so stress-relieving.

It's like an addiction. Oh well, worth a shot though. If nothing I'll have the virgin ears experience if I last a week or so.

I'm going to try to do this. So the rest of this evening and tomorrowI'm trying to get all the music in I possibly can. I feel like I will disappoint myself in how fast I break, thinking of all the times I'm driving home and just blasting some music is so stress-relieving.

It's like an addiction. Oh well, worth a shot though. If nothing I'll have the virgin ears experience if I last a week or so.

Too bad that the prequels and POA scoring sessions will leak next week... ;)

Karol

Too bad that the prequels and POA scoring sessions will leak next week... ;)

Karol

I guess you could buy/download them, but as long as you don't listen to them...

I think I've gone for periods without music for at least that long. There were many months where I was obsessed with podcasts, and put music on hold for a while. The difference is, that was a mood I naturally fell into, whereas this would be a conscious celibacy. I love listening to music in the winter, after Christmas, and I got a bunch of CDs for Christmas that I haven't listened to yet, so that would be tough. Not sure I could do it, but I will think about it for a day.

Since I received my last Intrada order, I haven't been listening to film music that much. So since Dec. 17th I've maybe listened to film music about 3 or 4 times.

Not because I'm losing interested but been busy with doing other things. So while I take extended breaks, 40 consecutive days is a bit too much. It's nice to have some sort of music playing every now and then.

The last time I went that long without film music was when I was in basic training, went about 14 weeks without listening to a film score.

Wouldn't be too difficult for me. I've gone almost that long without music when I've been out travelling. In February, for example, I'm going to Tanzania for several weeks, and I won't be listening to any music (intentionally). Not even on the airplane, since my tinnitus can't deal with headphones in high altitudes.

But I'll probably put on some music when I get back. So it's not really an experiment I have any particular need to participate in. :)

Not possible. I listen to music at work to drown out the sounds of my loud co-workers, to create my own tranquil space so I can get stuff done.

I only have a 20-30 minute drive to and from work (longer in bad weather like we enjoy at the moment), but I still listen to either a morning show for my news blips, or my iPod to justify getting the hookup cable.

I could go 40+ days without listening to music at my home computer, though, because the TV's usually on.

If you need to drown out your co-workers you can always get a nice relaxing meditation nature sound/loop to play in the background. One of those holophonic recordings! :lol:

If you work in an elevator where there's elevator music, we won't count it against you. Same thing for any place where there's music that you can't control. (Y)

Not because I'm losing interested but been busy with doing other things. So while I take extended breaks, 40 consecutive days is a bit too much. It's nice to have some sort of music playing every now and then.

Well we can always go for who can last the longest, versus who gets to 40 days.

How about no film music for 40 days? No music at all would just be too complicated to pull off. My life is surrounded by music at every angle.

I would rather stay away from this website or not buy/acquire any new soundtracks for 40 days than go without any music for 40 days. My peace of mind is far more important to my health than some silly online challenge.

I would, but I don't really want to. Plus I'm performing music nearly every day, either in rehearsals or gigs. It'd be hard to figure out parts for covers, or creating a feel in an original without listening to music.

I would rather stay away from this website or not buy/acquire any new soundtracks for 40 days than go without any music for 40 days. My peace of mind is far more important to my health than some silly online challenge.

Wimp!

;)

On the contrary. Since I can't enjoy sex, drugs, and alcohol all day, I won't deprive myself of the other best way to get my dopamine fix on.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Music+produces+natural+high+McGill+study+finds/4084087/story.html

:thumbup:

How about no film music for 40 days? No music at all would just be too complicated to pull off. My life is surrounded by music at every angle.

Yup, I think that's a far more realistic challenge. We're surrounded by music in our culture every day, so it's impossible to avoid altogether.

But the same applies here, though. There are days, weeks, sometimes even a month, where I can't stand any film music whatsoever. I only listen to rock, pop, electronic, classical etc. Variety is the spice of life! :)

On the contrary. Since I can't enjoy sex, drugs, and alcohol all day, I won't deprive myself of the other best way to get my dopamine fix on.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Music+produces+natural+high+McGill+study+finds/4084087/story.html

:thumbup:

+1

Karol - who now knows why he doesn't need any sex ;)

if we hum music...is it a kind of 'shaking hands with the governor'?

i will try this, just for the re-discovering the scores after 40 days.

i may write a list of all the cds i feel like to listening, to make a playing list after the days.

my last score until then will be TLW, since i listened to JP yesterday.