Favorite blockbuster of 2010

Jeff

42 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite top-grossing film of 2010?

• Toy Story 3
    • Alice in Wonderland
    • Iron Man 2
    • Eclipse
    • Inception
    • Deathly Hallows Part I
    • Despicable Me
    • Shrek Forever After
    • How to Train Your Dragon
    • Tangled
    • The Karate Kid
    • Clash of the Titans
    • Grown Ups
    • Tron Legacy
    • Megamind
    • The Last Airbender
    • Shutter Island
    • Little Fockers
    • The Other Guys
    • Salt

[publicist asked us about our favorites of 2010 but I thought this particular question deserved more attention]

I love going to the movies. I've seen 17 of the 20 listed above in theaters, plus several others. My favorite was Deathly Hallows, followed by Inception by a hair. Here is my complete ranking:

1) Deathly Hallows Part I

2) Inception

3) Tangled

4) Despicable Me

5) Toy Story 3

6) Salt

7) The Last Airbender

8) How to Train Your Dragon

9) The Karate Kid

10) Shutter Island

11) Tron Legacy

12) The Other Guys

13) Megamind

14) Alice in Wonderland

15) Iron Man 2

16) Eclipse

17) Grown Ups

I didn't see these:

-) Shrek Forever After

-) Clash of the Titans

-) Little Fockers

What were your favorites?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that this list is from the Box Office Mojo list of Top 20 grossing films in the last 365 days as of January 13, in order of current gross (for most of the movies on the list, that's the final gross as well).

I'm finally going to see Inception later this month during a movie day at work. I have a feeling I'm going to fall into the "overrated" crowd on it, but I still want to check it out.

It's nowhere near Blade Runner or 2001. Or something like that.

Not is it the best in Nolan's repertoire.

It's better than any other blockbuster this year, in a sense it is the exact opposite of most of the stuff on the list above. Both from the perspective of script and visuals. Which doesn't mean it's an instant classic.

A fun heist flick with s-f being used as a McGuffin. More of a Mission: Impossible or Bond-like than The Matrix. With ridiculously over-cluttered script. Which entertains certain people and puts off others.

Hope this helps.

Karol

1. Deathly Hallows...loved it to the point of seeing it 5 times.

2. Kick-Ass

3. Inception

4. Iron Man 2

5. To Story 3

6. Jackass 3D

7. Alice In Wonderland

I feel like I'm forgetting something....meh.

My favorites from the year

1. Inception
  2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader*
  3. Tron Legacy
  4. Prince of Persia*
  5. Deathly Hallows Part I
  6. Toy Story 3
  7. How to Train Your Dragon
  8. Shutter Island
  9. Alice in Wonderland
  10. Iron Man 2
  11. The Last Airbender

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty great movie year.

*not all blockbusters

Of that list, I've only seen Inception and Toy Story 3.

I think Toy Story 3 was the one more perfectly executed, and I loved it. The first one is one of my favourite films of all time and it just gets me.

BUT, because it's a second sequel, it didn't do what Inception did to me. That is the one that surprised me and captured my imagination. It totally surpassed my expectations. Among other things, I think it's because that it plays with ideas I like a lot (happens to me sometimes with films). For me, it was the best movie-going experience since WALL-E.

Not is it the best in Nolan's repertoire.

I got the feeling that Nolan would hit the nail and surpass himself with something like this again. I'd like the guy to direct something like Asimov's The End of Eternity or stuff like that.

I'm curious where Nolan is heading after Batman 3 aanyway.

HTTYD was what Inceptoy story was for Chaac, "I think" HTTYD "was...perfectly executed, and I loved it."

AND

HTTYD "is the one that surprised me and captured my imagination. It totally surpassed my expectations."

Inception was a like a corpse sitting in the sun, ready to burst.

It's overrated over thought and empty.

Where is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World on this list?

it was not a blockbuster. I don't believe it ever got to 100 million let alone the 200 million necessary to be listed as a blockbuster, as several of the films on here are simply not blockbusters to begin with.

I think the term "blockbuster" has been redefined, at least in this century (and probably in the 90s). Whilst blockbuster used to refer to the money it made, now it's more a generic term for any event movie that usually is FX heavy and aimed at the widest possible demographic. Which is the problem with Scott Pilgrim, as much as I love it, it was destined to fail because it was aimed at a pretty narrow demographic.

I was going to say THE ROAD (which was also my favourite film, period, from last year), but see that it wasn't listed above. So maybe it doesn't qualify as a 'blockbuster'?

So then it's easy - INCEPTION! Incidentally my second favourite film from last year.

Here's my Top 20 for 2010:

http://montages.no/2010/12/thor-joachims-topp-20-2010/

I think Scott Pilgrim should have made the Top 20. It was my 3rd-favorite film of the year. It's one that I will likely go back to for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

My rank of what I've seen:

Shutter Island

Inception

How To Train Your Dragon

The Last Airbender

Toy Story 3

The Karate Kid

Shrek Forever After

Alice In Wonderland

Iron Man 2

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

The Last Airbender ranks higher than Toy Story 3 for you???

I'd be more appalled by his putting Shutter Island first, what an overrated film, it's funny that he put the two most BS films of 2010 on the top.

My rank of what I've seen:

Shutter Island

Inception

How To Train Your Dragon

The Last Airbender

Toy Story 3

The Karate Kid

Shrek Forever After

Alice In Wonderland

Iron Man 2

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

The Last Airbender ranks higher than Toy Story 3 for you???

I actually enjoyed parts of it, unlike all people.

Does Jaws count? I saw it in 2010?

it's certainly better than every film on Koray's list there.

Inception, Deathly Hallows, Tron and Toy Story 3 were my favorites.

Didn't see Dawn Treader as I didn't see the other 2 films. I guess I should catch up.

Inception. As incredibly moving and funny as Toy Story 3 is, there was something invigorating and tangible about Inception that made it stand out among its 2010 blockbuster brethren.

Inception by a mile and a half (though, admittedly, I haven't seen many of the films on the list).

I'm finally going to see Inception later this month during a movie day at work. I have a feeling I'm going to fall into the "overrated" crowd on it. . . .

You won't.

- Uni

I'm finally going to see Inception later this month during a movie day at work. I have a feeling I'm going to fall into the "overrated" crowd on it. . . .

You won't.

- Uni

Actually I did.

You won't.

- Uni

Actually I did.

That's why you see movies when they come out, so you aren't swayed by word of mouth. I purposefully didn't look into anything about Inception. It's actually something I just tend to do in general. When the first trailer hit, I was like "Holy shit that looks really good." And when I saw it on opening weekend, I was floored. It made me car about the characters in a way that movies hadn't done in awhile.

I can't imagine what I would think about it had I heard it was the greatest film of all time and finally got around to it 7 months later.