Jurassic Park Theme slowed down by 90%

Beowulf

Uhm.....OK

Pointless? Perhaps, yes.

Interesting? I guess so - especially here.

Did I listen to the whole thing before getting bored? No.

Since I'm so fond of and familiar with this track, this is like some big long tease. But I suppose it is interesting in a sort of academic way. It sounds like so many themes used on TV programs (and some movies) to relay the great unknown of infinite space or something (some parts sound to me like equal parts Star Trek: Generations or Sunshine even). The 'Journey to the Island' fanfare definitely sounds strange slowed down to such a degree and reminds me of Vangelis' Blade Runner.

It also strikes me as something that would be played at an anti-rave or something.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you heard Williams very slow rendition of Goldsmith's ST:TMP theme?

Indeed I have and it's always puzzled me as to why he conduted [conducts?] it at such a slow pace.

But then again, maybe it's that old chestnut of us having heard the "original" version so many times that we have just gotten used to it.

It has most definitely happened so many times to me with Classical music, where the first recording I hear of a piece instantly becomes imprinted on my brain so that any other tempi sounds wrong in my head (two good examples being the first movement "march" from Shostakovich's 7th Symphony, which I heard first as quite fast, and Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune, which I first heard as being agonizingly slow - hearing either of these pieces played any other way just sounds wrong to me).

Weird.

For some reason this explains why I love the theme.

This slow stuff has always been hypnotic for me, when it's faster it's like the concentration of awesomeness per second increases more than my mind can grasp.

JW totally nailed sauropods, musically.

When I first put this on, I started laughing, but then, it suddenly became beautiful, and I found myself almost in tears. It reminds me of a Gavin Bryers piece ("Sinking of The Titanic", or "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me, Yet") that is, at once, haunting, and hypnotic. Why "JP", I wonder?

Has anyone listened to all 54 mins. and 13 sec. of it?

Don't know if I ever need to listen to that again, but I'm certainly glad you posted it, because it led to the discovery of that program, which I'm sure I'll be using in the future!

yeah now we can have the JP1 recording sped up to the speed of the TLW recording and Vice Versa

Now that I've listened to it, I can't help but wonder what Blade Runner album would sound like sped up by 90%. Maybe it's a pretty good action scoring. ;)

Karol

8:35...

:blink: :blink:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die. "

EDIT

just tried it with "Duel of the Fates"!!!!!

going to wet my pants at the choir beginning slowed down!! :eek::blink:

Wow, this has already come in handy. I was editing a piece of music that ends with a synth bell note, but my source file doesn't contain the full reverb - it cuts out. I tried artificial reverb on it, which sounded okay, but now I've just duplicated the part of the original reverb that I do have and stretched it out so it lasts half a minute. :lol: Faded it out manually (over a much shorter period, of course) and it sounds perfect.

I'm shocked people are just now realizing how fun it is to do this. Where were you guys during the 90s when CoolEditPro was all the rage?

By the way, before you stretch your entire library (someone's bound to do it), remember that if you stretch a song by 10x you will need 10x the space to store it (if it's remaining the same file type).

Sadly, I cannot partake in listening to this. DAMN YOU CHALLENGE! But I do remember, virtually any action track from Total Recall sounds very interesting stretched out.

The fun of changing music's speed isn't new to me...but this is the first time I've used a program that could slow down a piece's tempo by 1000% without affecting pitch and without creating that awful shuddering, echoing, stuttering sound. The Ultimate Slow-Downer is the closest thing to it that I've used, but even that gets a little stuttery...and it can't go to the ridiculous extremes of tempo that this program can. I've never owned Cool Edit Pro (or Audition), so I can't compare the performance, but this is most impressive, especially for freeware.

Just tried the software with various cues from Temple of Doom and....wow! Definitely puts an interesting spin on the oft-complained-about frenetic nature of some parts.

Next up on the list to try, my own personal favorite, Hook. :)

So I perused the source code, and it looks like it's doing some heavy manipulation on the sound file to smooth it out.

Anyone want to slow a song down by 5x and then speed that sound file back up by 5x to see what it sounds like? I'm betting very alien and strange.

thing is, i dont know much about music terms: percents octaves and the like

I think the main thing you want to adjust is window size, although I haven't played too much with that myself.

So I perused the source code, and it looks like it's doing some heavy manipulation on the sound file to smooth it out.

Anyone want to slow a song down by 5x and then speed that sound file back up by 5x to see what it sounds like? I'm betting very alien and strange.

Yeah, he says it breaks up the sound into chunks and smooths it out from there somehow. Heavy manipulation indeed. I had the same thought about slowing down and speeding up again...I'll try that...

EDIT: Actually, you can just listen to it with varying levels of that "window" modification at actual speed it indeed gets quite echoey and blurry.

Oh goodness, "Saving Willie" gets rather frightening.

That JP cue was torture, I could only take 4 minutes of it.

I remember when I was much much younger and flipping my LPs to the 45rpm setting. Battle in the Mutara Nebula never sounded so funny.

Indeed I have and it's always puzzled me as to why he conduted [conducts?] it at such a slow pace.

When Williams conducted the ST: TMP theme in Chicago in 2005, the tempo was perfect. The Chicago Symphony's performance was stellar.

When Williams conducted the ST: TMP theme in Chicago in 2005, the tempo was perfect. The Chicago Symphony's performance was stellar.

Would love to have heard that.

Would love to have heard that.

It wasn't too shabby, neither, When J.G. himself conducted it in 1999, for his 70th birthday concert, at The Barbican, ably assisted by the L.S.O. Top that. :cool:

I got associations to Michael Land's THE DIG, although obviously not as developped. And from 30:00, it really sounds like Vangelis. Not exciting all around, but some interesting bits here and there.

The only time I've heard Williams conduct it was on the Out Of This World CD.

Jurassic Park Theme slowed down by 90%

Very interesting. I love it. From 40:39 (LOL) it truly becomes - "Birth of a Nebula" material, that. Vangelis like, too.

And you know what the early stages of the track reminded me of?

Along with.......

Starting at 9:28, I love the 12-second build to the cymbal crash.

This is haunting. Gave me goosebumps. I listened to 30 minutes, paused it as I walked away from my computer, then listened to the rest.