How has this forum changed your perspective?

As much as we pride ourselves on individuality and sticking to your guns even if it's unpopular, we are ultimately social animals, and at some point or another our brains will give in to some pressure somewhere.

How has your adventure on JWFan helped you listen to your music differently?

As a specific example I can say that I was never fond of E.T. the score, but over the years of reading (and eventually posting) on these forums and discussing it, I find that I have a significantly greater appreciation for score, and I think part of is the high praises people (like Joey) sing for it. I still think it's a bit of an ordinary score, but a very good one. But it definitely beats my original thoughts on it: irritating fluff.

I've also found myself slightly less fond of James Horner. Where before I used to consider him part of the trio of modern greats (John, Jerry, and James) I've moved him back quite a bit. I still consider him one of my favorite composers, but it is much harder to put him on a very high pedestal when he is so often ridiculed for his copycatting.

So while I wouldn't say you folks have changed my tastes, I will say you help me approach music with a different perspective. (Y)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started posting here I thought Hans Zimmer was brilliant. I don't anymore, mostly due to the rubbish music he's put out over the last decade, but I'd be lying if I said this board hasn't played a part in my growing dislike of what he represents.

Of course, the man is still completely welcome to surprise me with another great score, which would completely undo the social engineering I've encountered here.

JWFan IS influential to me, but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

I wouldn't credit this forum, but my musical perspective has changed quite a bit from when I first started.

It comes from understanding music more as I get older. When i was younger I would indulge in fantasies while listening to the music, flying the Millenium Falcon through an asteroid field, hunting a Great White shark, taking the Enterprise out of drydock, fighting the Cyclops etc etc.

As I reached my teens and got out on my own I began to look at, and listen to, the music as I would any other style. I began to separate it from the medium it was written for.

But we're getting off topic.

If anything this forum has shown me there is no accounting for taste. ;)

I didn't realize that some JWFan members could be so closed minded when it comes to the film music world. It's one thing to hold Williams as your favorite but to proclaim him as the only capable composer out there and that no one else has composed anything as good or better is another.

Sometimes it's easy to look past the faults of others.

When I first started posting here I thought Hans Zimmer was brilliant. I don't anymore, mostly due to the rubbish music he's put out over the last decade, but I'd be lying if I said this board hasn't played a part in my growing dislike of what he represents.

Of course, the man is still completely welcome to surprise me with another great score, which would completely undo the social engineering I've encountered here.

JWFan IS influential to me, but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

I went through the Zimmer stage before this message board. However I credit my dislike to the growing maturation I had / have as a person.

If anything FSM has more of an influence on my musical tastes because of the variety of subjects discussed there.

This. My first real Zimmer score was the first Pirates, and because I'd never heard anything like it before, I figured it was a cool, new sound for this modern twist on a pirate flick. I loved it. JWfan helped me realize that Zimmer has very significant shortcomings. Nowadays, most of the Zimmer material that I do like is firmly classified in the "guilty pleasure" category.

Another huge thing JWfan did for me was to expose me to the world of fan edits. All the business with ROTS around the time that I joined inspired me to try my own edit, and that ended up being my first of many such projects. It remains a fun hobby of mine to this day. And not only did I realize that we could create our own complete soundtracks, but I learned from different people's approaches and philosophies in making those edits. In the early days, I tended to favor film versions of material, even replicating microedits and tracked material and whatnot...now I'm the polar opposite of that, attempting to construct what can almost be thought of as an as-intended isolated score, presenting the composer's original intentions as accurately as possible. That's a preference I developed after reading about others' distaste for tracked music and whatnot. (In a similar vein, I didn't really realize how terrible the TPM UE was until I joined this board.)

Finally, and most recently, JWfan exposed me to the world of score trading. Getting to study and learn from the original sheet music to countless amazing cues has been a dream come true and an incredibly educational experience. I've learned so much about composition and orchestration from poring over these scores. Truly a fantastic opportunity.

I've gone through a lot of transformations in regards to Zimmer. First, I loved him and his cronies. I mean, I wanted the first PotC score to win an Oscar. After entering this board, I decided that Zimmer was okay, and his cronies were okay. Currently, I believe that Zimmer is capable of frequently creating very enjoyable scores, but not so much for his cronies. I love his style and the diversity he can show, but I hate the impact he's had on the rest of the film scoring world.

Oh, and I liked polls a lot more than I currently do when I joined the board. I remember being frusterated that FSM only updated polls every few months, as that was the only reason I really visited their website. That has changed.

I also went from being a listener of JW music to a collector - I want to own everything JW at some point in my life, whether it's good or bad music. I've also become much more familiar with other composers, due often to recommendations and such.

I wouldn't say that I've become a collector, exactly, but this place has definitely increased my appreciation for Williams' lesser scores, and for scores whose films I haven't seen.

Oh, and JWfan also opened my eyes to La-La Land, Intrada, and FSM. I still rely on their respective threads for news about the latest releases, something I'm VERY grateful for.

A few years ago I only listened to John Williams' music and a bit from other composers (Zimmer, Shore);

nowadays I listen to more composers such as Giacchino, Goldsmith, Horner, James Newton Howard or Silvestri.

Thanks to this forum I can say that I know more music.

Has this place changed the way I listen? Not in the slightest, but I arrived here in my upper 20's, after receiving a degree in music, so my listening skills were pretty set in stone. My opinions haven't fluctuated one iota either. When I arrived here I thought Williams and Goldsmith were the masters, Horner the brilliant but dirty thief, Giacchino the phenomenal up-and-comer, and Zimmer the unfortunately over-popular rock star of film music. Also Tyler Bates the sack of crap.

What has changed me is finding a place to trade manuscript scores and getting the opportunity to study the works of the greats first hand. There is simply nothing like it and its something I would have never thought possible until I stumbled upon this place.

This forum opened my eye in regards to Hans Zimmer and mediaventures. Before i thought that he is very original and one of the absolute best but now... Well i now see his shortcomings and somehow i feel that he is in steady decline since Gladiator.

But his two best efforts still are amazing -> Gladiator and The Lion King

The Lion King by the way is his only soundtrack that stands on par with John Williams, so at least once Zimmer nailed it (but to be fair he had help, Elton John, etc..)

and thanks to this forum i recently bought my first Goldsmith score and greatly enjoyed it (Star trek V Limited Edition)

It's definitely made scores a larger part of my life as I can properly discuss, and sometimes argue about, a very niche genre of music. I spend an unhealthy amount of time on here :P

But it hasn't changed the composers I'm into - I never was into Williams much outside his main themes.

I rooted out an mp3 CD I made in January, 2003 that has my entire music collection at the time. The balance of styles/composers really hasn't changed much.

jan28_2003.jpg