Sound the Bells

fommes

On the main page!

San Francisco Symphony member Jonathan Ring reports on a new release by The Bay Brass on the Harmonia Mundi label.

The disc features premiere recordings of American works for brass and percussion, including 3 works by John Williams never before recorded:

* SOUND THE BELLS! (Original Version for Brass and Percussion) - Previously Unreleased

Composed o­n 1993 Memorial Day for brass and percussion, as a wedding gift to the Japanese princess Masako. Premiered during the Japanese tour o­n June 10, 1993 by the Boston Pops conducted by Williams. After returning from the tour, Williams wrote a new arrangement for large orchestra (available o­n American Journey), that was premiered shortly after.

* FANFARE FOR A FESTIVE OCCASION- Previously Unreleased

Composed in 1980 for the Boston Civic Orchestra, it was premiered by this ensemble under the baton of Max Hobart o­n November 14, 1980.

* ALOFT... TO THE ROYAL MASTHEAD! (FANFARE FOR PRINCE PHILIP)- Previously Unreleased

Composed in 1992 for the visit of Prince Philip to Boston, at the request of Boston Symphony patron Frances Fahnstock. Premiered on July 13, 1992 by the Boston Pops conducted by Williams.

Also represented are works by Bruce Broughton, Michael Tilson Thomas, Morten Lauridsen, Kevin Puts and Scott Hiltzik.

The disc is a hybrid SACD and features 5.1 Surround Sound - it also plays on regular CD players.

Release date is March 8, 2011.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! This release has been a long time coming. I remember reading about the recording sessions 2 or 3 years ago.

I has assumed the project had been shelved. Happy to be wrong.

Awesome! While I feel that most of JW's film scores will be eventually released, I don't know if the same demand exists for his concert works, so it's great to get more of these out there. I've never heard any of these (except the full orchestra version of "Sound the Bells") so I'm excited. If it's not too expensive, then I'll definitely be getting this.

We kinda have a good recording of Fanfare for a Festive Occasion already from CSO .Too bad Celebration Fanfare isn't on there

Can't wait to hear Fanfare for Prince Philip

We kinda have a good recording of Fanfare for a Festive Occasion already from CSO .Too bad Celebration Fanfare isn't on there

Can't wait to hear Fanfare for Prince Philip

well, we do have the Celebration Fanfare too in very good quality.. don't we?

Cool! Except the Philipp piece, these have all been released before, though, in one shape or another.

I'd love to see someone include Celebration Fanfare, Fanfare for Michael Dukakis and the Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds in a proper recording.

this is great!!!

oh wait:

hybrid SACD

how do you make MP3's from that?

You do the same way as with a regular CD. The CD and SACD programs exist in diferent layers, so your CD player will only read the CD-A layer.

Are the Bay Brass any good?

They are.