The Cape

BLUMENKOHL

Anyone watch this show and can shed some light on the music? It sounds really interesting from the score documentary.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/206807/the-cape-the-score

Especially right at the beginning with the strings (around 21 seconds in). I haven't heard strings like that since 1980's Empire Strikes Back!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch this show and can shed some light on the music? It sounds really interesting from the score documentary.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/206807/the-cape-the-score

Especially right at the beginning with the strings (around 21 seconds in). I haven't heard strings like that since 1980's Empire Strikes Back!

CHEATER!

The music is really good from the first two episodes that I watched. I'm not really surprised considering Bear McCready(sp?) is doing it. Judging by the quality of the show, however, I don't think it will be on long enough for him to really build on any of the themes.

Bear said that he's always had this score in him and fought to make sure that he had the ability to use a big orchestra live rather than synthetic. He said he was a big fan of the Batman cartoon scores which held a great amount of gravitas and I can't recall her name, but he was a huge fan of the composers. He's recording on the same WB scoring stage she did as well so he felt a great honor to be doing that.

As for the music, he is really excited about it. He tweeted today about how the horns 'blew the roof off' of the sound stage heh.

He is, of course, a big fan of Williams Superman and is said he always felt he had this score in him and was just waiting for the oppourtunity to present itself. He won't, unfortunately and fortunately, have the diversion of dealing with the score to CAPRICA (sheds a tear) or on a few of the other shows he was working on, one of which he and most of hte production crew was fired for this season, so he will simply be able to focus a lot of effort into this score.

Not that impressed with the previews, i'm not sure I'll download it (as I don't have tv) but maybe just to hear his music. The filming and set design and lighting all looks very much like that from CAPRICA so I wonder if they're all just on that show now instead. That may be a reason to watch since it was so well done.

Bears Battlestar Blog:

The Cape Main Title Blog entry

The Cape Pilot Blog entry

The Cape - Kozmo Blog Entry

I knew from the first promo that I would never watch it. It's called... The Cape. Worst title ever.

When I first saw the title, I thought it was a show about NASA, or took place on Cape Cod.

First time I saw the preview I thought, The Shadow, The Dark Knight and wasn't there just a recently canceled show with a similar theme?

I'm enjoying THE CAPE. I first thought it was a travel programme about South Africa. I was so disappointed.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little behind on The Cape, but I just watched episode 8, and the score is fantastic! Bear really outdid himself on this one. I could definately hear the Shirley Walker influence here, but in a good way, not just blatant copying.

Wanted to like this show, especially for Bear and the obvious Batman influence but just couldn't continue after the second episode, especially since it was all but certain to only have 10 episodes before it would be canceled. I would definitely pick up a cd release though, as I really liked what I heard and enjoyed his work on Human Target and Terminator.