2011 Academy Awards Thread

Trumpeteer

The list will be revealed in about 16 hours. Here's what I think will be named in the music categories:

Original Score

127 Hours

Inception

The King's Speech

The Social Network

Toy Story 3

Original Song

Despicable Me

I See the Light

Rise

We Belong Together

You Haven't Seen the Last of Me

UPDATE:

The actual nominees are:

Music (Original Score)

* “How to Train Your Dragon” John Powell

* “Inception” Hans Zimmer

* “The King's Speech” Alexandre Desplat

* “127 Hours” A.R. Rahman

* “The Social Network” Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Music (Original Song)

* “Coming Home” from “Country Strong” Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey

* “I See the Light” from “Tangled” Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater

* “If I Rise” from “127 Hours” Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong

* “We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

Full list here

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? You don't know what 'MV' means?

(on the chance you're being serious:) It's Hans Zimmer's studio (now called Remote Control Productions) where he employs loads of composers who basically emulate his much criticised sound. We call them 'clones' because most don't seem to develop much of a personal style in the sense that, e.g. John Powell has.

I have a feeling Inception will win, if only because it appears that it might be snubbed in the major categories (nominated, but not win). Toy Story 3, The King's Speech, and Tron: Legacy are all better scores though.

I have a feeling Inception will win, if only because it appears that it might be snubbed in the major categories (nominated, but not win). Toy Story 3, The King's Speech, and Tron: Legacy are all better scores though.

Let Me In

Neither Let Me In or How to Train Your Dragon will be nominated. And since those were probably the two scores most well received by most film score aficionados and experts this year (along with maybe Desplat's Potter), that should automatically tell you something is really wrong with the process.

Sorry, peeps, what is all this "MV" stuff?

:lol: Richard, I explained this to you, only a few months ago.

Ha, ha, so you did! It must have made quite an impression... ;)

Anyway, I looked it up, and - oh, my goodness - it reads like a soundtrack sweatshop, doesn't it? I can see Zimmer striding up and down, blurting out commands, and saying things such as: "More strings, and less guitar, Trevor; you're not in Yes, now!", or "That theme has three notes. I want two notes; two! You'll never win an Oscar with a three-note theme, Steve!". The place sounds positively awful. Processed music for a processed audience.

I don't think it's as bad as that, but I think by mentoring and encouraging young composers with such a technological and collaborative approach, he's shot himself in the foot.

Of course it's not just that, it's also the 'wall of sound' style of composing he encourages and which producers flock to them for.

45 mins to go.... I think it's a 3-score race. Inception, 127 Hours and The Social Network.

I think you're right...which would be a shame, since "The Karate Kid" is better than any of those....doubt it will get mentioned though....

What's the deal with Tron Legacy getting no nominations at all? Was it released too late? Noticed it didn't even get nominated for visual effects at the Bafta's.

I think it was probably being attached to a film that was critically savaged. Which is a shame, as it's not only a very good score but a successful crossover title as well, the kind of thing normally championed.

I sort of liked Karate Kid, but Horner's idea of a listening experience can go on a bit. Plus some moments are lifted straight from Avatar.

Pretending there's sense left in the academy, HTTYD will win, but I know it won't. Hollywood's in love with bombast, foreign names and 'sound design' scores right now.

What's the deal with Tron Legacy getting no nominations at all? Was it released too late? Noticed it didn't even get nominated for visual effects at the Bafta's.

It was released in time (providing public holidays don't get taken into account - I'm not sure) for an Oscar nom - but it was way too late for a BAFTA nom as I think those closed on December 14th...but that doesn't mean it won't get nominated for next year's ceremony.

I think it was probably being attached to a film that was critically savaged. Which is a shame, as it's not only a very good score but a successful crossover title as well, the kind of thing normally championed.

That's what I thought as well. I assumed (wrongly) that the awards would be all over it - and for once, it would have been earned. The irony is that although there have been very vocal nay-sayers regarding Tron, almost everyone I've spoken to liked or loved the film and said the music was one of the best things about it. I'm just thankful a sequel is all but guaranteed (with the trailer already shot).

* How to Train Your Dragon (Paramount) John Powell

* Inception (Warner Bros.) Hans Zimmer

* The King's Speech (The Weinstein Company) Alexandre Desplat

* 127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) A.R. Rahman

* The Social Network (Sony Pictures Releasing) Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

I'm quite shocked Inception wasn't nominated for Directing nor Editing. Chris Nolan must be the only director in the world with 3 Director's Guild nominations and no Oscar nods

* How to Train Your Dragon (Paramount) John Powell

* Inception (Warner Bros.) Hans Zimmer

* The King's Speech (The Weinstein Company) Alexandre Desplat

* 127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) A.R. Rahman

* The Social Network (Sony Pictures Releasing) Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

And the winner is..."Alexander Desplat", for "The King's Speech".

If you asked me yesterday, I would give you the same exact list.

Karol

What if we asked you tomorrow..?

Karol

I'd say (and I probably will): "We have to carry on with our passé tastes. Ah well, at least we can say it's some sort of exclusive club".

Karol

Karol

I'd say (and I probably will): "We have to carry on with our passé tastes. Ah well, at least we can say it's some sort of exclusive club".

Karol

That or "There's no point talking to me as I can't hear you over the awesomeness of Star Trek V."

Assuming it's arrived.

Karol

Karol

That or "There's no point talking to me as I can't hear you over the awesomeness of Star Trek V."

Assuming it's arrived.

Nope, but you you will certainly feel the seismic consequences when it does. Hopefully, nobody dies in the process. ;)

Karol