2011 Academy Awards Thread

Trumpeteer

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one was really sure if they would recognize Powell's awesomeness. I'm glad they did.

Also, Javier Bardem for Biutiful = (Y)

right on Koray! so happy Powell got the nom. Best damned score of the year. Well, in my opinion..

Congrats to Maurizio for correctly predicting all five score nominees!

As for the songs, I'm not shocked only four were nominated. I would have taken out the "Country Strong" song. I am not a fan of "If I Rise."

No one was really sure if they would recognize Powell's awesomeness. I'm glad they did.

right on Koray! so happy Powell got the nom. Best damned score of the year. Well, in my opinion..

What about Daybreakers? I like HTTYD (which works very well in the film), but it's too loud and obnoxious at the same time to enjoy on its own.

Karol

What about Daybreakers? I like HTTYD (which works very well in the film), but it's too loud and obnoxious at the same time.

Karol

For me the best is TRON, but out of the nominees The King's Speech is best, at least as a listening experience (haven't seen the film). I agree with Karol on HTTYD.

It's a shame there isn't a short film score category, as Giacchino's Day & Night was wonderful. I hope the film itself wins.

My thoughts:

HTTYD - Fun, melodic score, but nothing remarkable

KING'S SPEECH - Haven't heard it yet, but I'm no big fan of Desplat in general.

INCEPTION - Great choice. A given.

127 HOURS - Haven't heard it yet, but I dread the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE effect.

THE SOCIAL NETWORK - Great choice. A given.

I miss Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY and most obviously Elfman's ALICE, but I suspect both of those were dropped because of the rather lackluster films they accompanied.

So I guess that means I'm a bit divided on this. I'll have a better overview once I've seen/heard KING'S SPEECH and 127 HOURS, though.

I sincerely hope INCEPTION wins (with SOCIAL NETWORK a second)!

I've gone off the score a bit, but it's nice to see it nominated.

Although I will be firmly behind Desplat.

Same here. I have a feeling with 12 nominations, The King's Speech will be another Weinstein "upset" at the Oscars. Just like Shakespeare in Love and The Reader were. Although Desplat deserves some Oscar love, as well as Powell.

Score-wise, Inception is a joke. I can see the Academy letting Nolan win for Best Original Screenplay as well as some technical awards like Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects, but no way in hell will it win Best Picture or Best Original Score. The King's Speech or The Social Network will win those.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know most of the wins in any category from the past 5-6 years. I kind of stopped caring. And if I knew the results it was because of it being everywhere on film music sites. By posting this thread I kind of broke my own rules by checking the list of nominees.

The only thing I do know, however, is that Christopher Nolan never got a single "best director" nomination. Which is a crime. I'm not saying he should win. But a nod would have been welcome, given the overall quality of his output.

Karol

I'm overall quite pleased with everything. Considering this year's overall output was less than stellar, there aren't any films in particular that I didn't like. So in most of the categories, any one of the nominees winning won't be a disappointment, or even tragedy (i.e. Sandra Bullock and Mo'nique). I'd be happy with anyone in the score category winning, although I'd prefer Rahman not pulling a Santaolalla.

I'm overall quite pleased with everything. Considering this year's overall output was less than stellar,

Yeah that's the main problem with a majority of the nominations.

So in most of the categories, any one of the nominees winning won't be a disappointment, or even tragedy (i.e. Sandra Bullock and Mo'nique).

There may be an argument against Bullock but as annoying and unfunny as Mo'nique is, she was damn good in that film.

When the president said "Academy Award winner Mo'nique" on the live broadcast, I cringed. I haven't seen Precious, nor do I really intend to. So my personal bias is to blame on that one. I despise Bullock in everything, I can only tolerate her in Speed.

I have a feeling Colin Firth might take the leading actor award. I think Franco deserves it the most, he really impressed me.

Isn't it just a given fact that it has been poor year for films in general, and scores in particular? I long for the years when you would find Bennett, Goldsmith, North, Rota, and Williams on the same list; all masters of their craft, producing grade-A scores. I may be urinating in a hurricane, but IMO, there has definitely been a sea-change in the way that scores are marketed, how they are used in a film, and even in the way that the language of music is written (not to mention understood). Mainstream audiences seem to demand less, nowadays, and less is what they are definitely getting.

I'm quite shocked Inception wasn't nominated for Directing nor Editing. Chris Nolan must be the only director in the world with 3 Director's Guild nominations and no Oscar nods

It's pretty dumb. I don't know what he has to do at this point to get one, he's already more than earned one as far as I'm concerned.

No surprises with the score nominations. There are a few good ones there, but the best scores of the year are left out (like Tron: Legacy!). I'm more sure now that Inception will win.

Oscars :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Agreed. I could care less about award shows anymore.

Yeah, I'll probably skip the show this year.

2010 is mostly forgettable except for a few good films and a few massively overblown films (Inception, Black Swan)

I guess it's time Powell got a nod, but meh at the intense averageness if HTTYD's score. I am rooting for Inception. It's not my favorite of this year, but it's the best listed. 127 Hours kinda sucks. It's like Babel. The best piece of music that might have attracted attention to the score was previously written.

As for Monique being a tragedy dreb, only someone who hasn't seen Precious could say that. It's one if the best performances I've seen in a long time. Bullock is pretty debatable, though.

I think it's fascinating that Toy Story 3, as the third installment in an animated series, was nominated for Best Picture. I did a little research and found that there have only been a handful of sequels nominated ever:

- The Bells of St. Mary's (1945)

- The Godfather Part II (1974) - won

- The Godfather Part III (1990) - lost

- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)- lost

- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - only time a third installment has won

There are a couple other "sequels" or "remakes" that won, such as Silence of the Lambs, but you can read about it here.

It's remarkable that an animated franchise can churn out three films of such quality that one of them - and the third one, no less - can be even considered for the nomination. I don't think it has any chance of winning, but still pretty cool.

Well that's what happens when you do a dumb thing and expand the best picture field to 10.

I mean Toy Story 3 is a good film and will probably win it's much deserved best animated film award, but I wouldn't think it needed to be nominated as best film overall.

5 is enough, especially when you didn't expand the other fields for actors, directors etc etc.

I'd be supportive of If I Rise winning, only because I think it's good song that works well in the film. Not because it's necessarily better than any others.

And go James Franco for best actor! I really liked the film and his performance really was superb.

Scorewise...ummm.. Go Powell! But seriously, put back the dramatic and musical/comedy categories and reclaim the dignity you lost when you gave Santaolalla 2 oscars.

Oscars :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

At least the chat's always fun.

So HTTYD did get a nom. Good. I haven't heard it but it's gotten a pretty good reception around here.

I still don't get the 10 Best Film nominees thing.

I'm fully aware that Toy Story 3 never would have made the cut under the 5-nominee program. My point remains that it's remarkable that someone bothers to make a quality kids' movie that adults can enjoy, even when it's the second sequel.

No - first they'll make a prequel trilogy about the toys with their previous owners, including how Woody used to be evil. Also, all of the toys will frequently run into each other for no good reason. Later, they will make a TV show about what happened between when the toys left the Day Care Center but before they got to the dump. It will go on for at least two seasons.

All joking aside, the heads of Pixar have more common sense when it comes to movie making.

They do seem to have made some of the most moving, and visually beautiful films in the last decade. I guess that, because I am at a "certain age", and because its themes resonate with me, my favourite Pixar film is "The Incredibles".

I'm glad to see Shutter Island didn't dominate as some here thought it would early last year.

It was nominated ZERO TIMES.

It still baffles me that Social Network is getting that much attention for its music, and even though I shouldn't, I'll be pissed if it wins.

But what do I know? Santaolalla won twice.

And I agree with anyone who thinks HTTYD was the best of the year. Great fun and technically impressive. I still get shivers everytime I watch the "Test Drive" scene. Absolutely fantastic.

Social Network's attention is easy - the film's popular. Every one of this year's nominations are from films that have been hugely acclaimed and box office hits.

It's disappointing really. The feeling years ago that a nomination/win for a score was an indication of truly exceptional quality has gone down the pan. It's bad in that if your favourite score wins, it's for the wrong reasons.