What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

On 3/1/2016 at 6:08 PM, Mr. Big said:

No Man's Sky certainly looks ambitious but it has the potential to be really, really boring.  

So do a lot of games that hit the market. Like any sandbox game, this one will depend largely on what you bring with you in terms of imagination.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:44 PM, Koray Savas said:

This game has been delayed for so long who knows what state it's in. At E3 they said they would announcing the date "soon." It's been 8 months since then.

It'll be released in June. They've been making adjustments for new platforms and tweaking the matrix before the final rendering.

I’ve finally finished the new Tomb Raider. I think this was a step in the right direction. Of course it’s not gonna be like the TRs of old, that’s impossible now. I grew up with those games, maybe a bit differently, because I was a child who couldn’t speak English at the time, so I don’t remember anything from the story, or why I did what I did as Lara, so it was frustrating at times, but I loved it nevertheless. My favourite is the second one with Venice, but maybe the fourth one was the best of the original formula objectively. Maybe I should play the old games now as an adult excluding nostalgia goggles as much as possible to get a better view of all of the games.

I love the modern game’s more Uncharted-like cinematic style, even if it’s really the same basic story with a basic MacGuffin, but with enough high-velocity set-pieces that really sold me the adrenalin rush of the situation. And I see that they’ve tried to present a back-story with some of the collectibles, so the now popular COLLECT EVERY USELESS STUFF open world formula at least had some point. They even had some side-quests.

Fast travel is an interesting topic. For me, the Witcher 3 was the first game that managed to make me use it less, because I was immersed in the universe so much, I wanted to be in that world as much as possible. And the landscape was so well executed that even the “empty” spaces were good enough for me to gallop through. But I think they are necessary with these types of huge worlds. It’s still a game, and there will be moments where the immersion will be broken, and Fast travel can be a huge life-saver. The whole weight system for example. In the real world, it’s physically impossible to carry more than 5 swords with you, but what if in a game you have 10, and with the 11th you go over your weight limit? You automatically question the logic behind it, and then you don’t really mind fast travelling to sell them quickly before it breaks your immersion too much. At least that’s how it works for me most of the time. And then you can head-canon anything you want :D

I agree that the challenge Tombs should have been mandatory, but at least I think it’s a huge step in the right direction that they included some, and for me most of them were entertaining. I remember some frustratingly hard puzzles from the old games, and I can accept that it’s not gonna be like that anymore. And the Tombs got great reception, so I think they will build upon it more in the next game(s).

I hated the gunplay of the old games, and loved the simple, but effective system here. I went full stealth-commando, maxed out the bow, and found it rewarding.

And yeah, technically it was stunning all the way through, I absolutely loved nearly all of the environments, even the mandatory “soviet base in snow” levels :D

That’s my impression of the game. I loved some aspects of it more than the old ones (cinematography, gunplay, and naturally the overall graphics), but It was far, far from perfect, and I think it never can be like the old ones again (at least with this budget, I don’t think there would be enough general interest in a really hardCore old-school Tomb Raider game. I would buy it :D ).

Your sword analogy is why I prefer the encumbrance system of Skyrim and Fallout 3 over, say, Morrowind. In the newer games, you can't fast travel but you can still move; hit the tilde, aim for your destination, and read a book, as long as you're left alone. In Morrowind, you could only use Recall or a spell/scroll or modded ring to move once overencumbered. That punishes you for trying to clear a dungeon in one go, which you can do in the newer games if you have the time.

But it is still immersion breaking if you're at your carry weight and can't fast travel, but if you eat that 0.1 unit apple, now you can run again. Or if you are carrying ten swords but can still tiptoe behind and silently stab a cat guard. Fast travel isn't a Star Trek transporter. Just a really useful to lessen the boredom. 

My favorite fast travel loophole is still in Old Olney in Fallout 3. 

9 hours ago, Uni said:

It'll be released in June. They've been making adjustments for new platforms and tweaking the matrix before the final rendering.

June has always been the target, but that isn't an actual date. They said they'd announce it soon over 8 months ago. Just taking the recent Uncharted 4 as an example, however, actual dates don't mean anything in the game industry for some reason. I understand the complexities of game development, but imagine if this happened in the film industry. There would be an uproar. Don't understand why it's so hard to know when you'll be done with something.

A lot of publishers need to learn from Bethesda's example last year. Announcing Fallout 4 and releasing it a few months later, on time, no delays.

Anyway...

Far Cry Primal

Really enjoying this one. The concept is cool and despite the clunky melee combat, the execution is just as cool. They really pushed a lot of detail and intricacies into the environment that sell the stone age. Small stuff like kids tossing rocks into the river in your village, a woman pooping in a bush, enemy tribes getting it on in their huts at night, etc. all give it this hilarious/ridiculous vibe that Far Cry is known for. The map is huge for what the story is, but I'm really enjoying doing all the hunting and gathering that takes the gameplay spotlight. Getting chased by a stampede of mammoths after mounting one of the babies, only to get hurled down a cliff into a field of woolly rhinos that instantly kill me has a great sense of satisfaction to it.

No Man's Sky is up for pre-order at Steam and GOG, but $60 is a lot to commit to such an ambitious project without a hands-on demo or any reviews. I'll wait, especially since it can only go down in price between now and June; the pre-order perk of a better ship isn't worth the gamble. 

The point of the game--what makes it fun in the first place--is the idea of upgrading through the process of playing. Getting an upgrade up front kinda defeats the purpose.

Right. I haven't pre-ordered a game since the craptastic Star Trek Legacy. I'm not starting now. 

Wait, I did pre-order Starsector and Kerbal Space Program, which were fully playable. 

On 2/29/2016 at 4:53 PM, loert423 said:

By the way, if anybody wants to see what a procedurally-generated universe looks like, I heartily recommend SpaceEngine. It's essentially a piece of software which lets you fly around a huge universe, filled with billions of procedurally-generated galaxies, each filled with billions of star systems, many of which contain procedurally-generated planets. The guy who created it is a physicist and has tried to make the world as scientifically accurate as possible. It's not really a game since it doesn't feature any gameplay, but still it's fun to fly around in (and stunning to look at). I like to use SpaceEngine when I'm listening to a podcast or piece of music for example. And, what's more, it's free to download!

So . . . based on your recommendation, I had to try this out. I've been fooling around with it for a few days, and . . . I'm completely blown away. Granted, it's really just a model of the universe, but even so it's mind-blowing in its size, proportions, and attention to detail.

I had plenty of fun just zipping around the far regions of the universe. And then I found the mods, and really started geeking out. Here are a few actual screenshots of recent activity:

The Enterprise-E in orbit around Earth:

scr00004.thumb.jpg.1bc4ccf35b857521e06aa

The Enterprise NX-1 doin' the Voyager thing:

scr00005.thumb.jpg.5734a43aaba7873d8562d

The Enterprise-D leaving Vulcan:

scr00006.thumb.jpg.24a943b5ed31784d72b06

Deep Space Nine near the Bajoran wormhole:

scr00002.thumb.jpg.3a4b30e404a5cb7e7bbf9

And finally, the Millenium Falcon headed for another desert planet (in a galaxy far, far away):

scr00007.thumb.jpg.cf1b867a9fb9737ec6e65

Good times. As a straight 3-D "map," it's brilliant (very reminiscent of the stellar cartography room in Star Trek: Generations). I've already wasted hours on it, and I've hardly scratched the surface. It's a good precursor to No Man's Sky, which should step things up with the advent of mining, resources, upgrading, and combat. And it'll pass the time pretty well until June 24th--the (current) official release date for NMS.

There's a good and quite informative hands on with No Man's Sky here:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/03/you-can-do-much-more-than-fly-around-in-no-mans-sky

Looks amazing, but I won't be preordering. I'll buy it when or a little after it comes out, the bonuses don't interest me. 

If players are allowed to name planets and geographic features, and the game makes trillions of them, whose job will it be to police the naughty names and ex-girlfriend phone numbers that inevitably get used? Hopefully the cost and niche of the game deter fuckwits. 

Will there be PVP servers, or will only the NPC aboriginals and pirates be able to kill you? 

I hope your spaceship(s) and belongings can be safely locked up when you (unfortunately have to) log out of the game and go back to the real world.

Although it's said to be a shared world, the dev has stated the likelihood of crossing paths with other players is slim, mainly due to the size of the universe (and probably by design). I hope in time though they build a greater sense of active player population into the space (both PvP and PvE), just because I like that sort of thing, and well just because it'd be an awful waste. 

One of the developers said that they aren't interested in traditional online multiplayer and want it to be more like what thatgamecompany did with Journey, in that they want you to be aware if you're sharing a space with another player but you can't directly interact with them. 

In the same interview he was asked slyly how VR will work in the game and he just gave a smile and said he thinks it'd be a great game for VR. I hope the rumors are true. 

5 hours ago, Woj said:

I hope your spaceship(s) and belongings can be safely locked up when you (unfortunately have to) log out of the game and go back to the real world.

My understanding is that you have an "account" that keeps track of your currency. Your ship won't be vulnerable when you're not logged in, but (obviously) it will be when you are. If your ship is destroyed, it's gone for good--as well as whatever was stored in its cargo hold. You can be set back, but only when you're playing.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Although it's said to be a shared world, the dev has stated the likelihood of crossing paths with other players is slim, mainly due to the size of the universe (and probably by design). I hope in time though they build a greater sense of active player population into the space (both PvP and PvE), just because I like that sort of thing, and well just because it'd be an awful waste. 

The key to that is going to be whatever wikis spring up in conjunction with the game. I think certain traveling "corridors," trade routes, etc. will be established over time; players will share the details on the wikis, giving system coordinates that will allow others to find them. The designers aren't focusing on the multiplayer aspect, but players will. I imagine that may well become part of the game's self-styled objectives: searching for other explorers along the way. (Of course, if there's no means of communicating directly with them, I don't know what benefit achieving that will be, but I think people will still try it.)

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

In the same interview he was asked slyly how VR will work in the game and he just gave a smile and said he thinks it'd be a great game for VR. I hope the rumors are true.

That's one of the reasons for the delays. They've been gearing up for VR compatibility.

2 hours ago, Uni said:

My understanding is that you have an "account" that keeps track of your currency. Your ship won't be vulnerable when you're not logged in, but (obviously) it will be when you are. If your ship is destroyed, it's gone for good--as well as whatever was stored in its cargo hold. You can be set back, but only when you're playing.

The key to that is going to be whatever wikis spring up in conjunction with the game. I think certain traveling "corridors," trade routes, etc. will be established over time; players will share the details on the wikis, giving system coordinates that will allow others to find them. The designers aren't focusing on the multiplayer aspect, but players will. I imagine that may well become part of the game's self-styled objectives: searching for other explorers along the way. (Of course, if there's no means of communicating directly with them, I don't know what benefit achieving that will be, but I think people will still try it.)

That's one of the reasons for the delays. They've been gearing up for VR compatibility.

You work for Hello Games or something?

Nope. Far more pathetic. Been watching all the videos and interviews I could get my hands on for a month now. . . .

Too dogs? Too whole dogs? And another too makes five. Wow.

That's just awful. I'm throwing away my PlayStation. No, wait--I'm going to bury it. Give both those too dogs some peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up Far Cry Primal last night. A much breezier open world game, only took me 27 hours to 100% as opposed to 40 for Far Cry 4.

After having really enjoyed both of these I kinda want to boot up the PS3 and play the HD remaster of the first and 3. 

Did you ever play Blood Dragon? 

Level 12 in The Division (my pals have nearly all hit the 30 cap already) and it's Destiny's flavour of moreishness all over again. Scratches exactly the same itch, although I'm unsure at the moment if it'll have the same compulsive longevity as that game has. Visually, it's brilliant. 

I haven't. 4 my was first foray into the franchise, although I do have 2 as an old PS+ freebie. Played that for about 15 minutes before giving up on the frame rate. I have Blood Dragon as another freebie so I might just start with that.

I only played The Division for a couple hours or so but I'm not a fan of the shooting mechanics. But it might just be the crappy weapons you start out with. I'm waiting for my old Destiny crew to jump on board because all my other friends are already 30 as well. 

On 15/03/2016 at 4:46 PM, Koray Savas said:

it might just be the crappy weapons you start out with.

It is. I had the same reservations during the beta, but I suspected it'd be just like Destiny early on in the way all the starting weapons have terrible recoil and tiny magazines. Once you get to level 10ish the slightly better drops start coming and by the time you hit 25+ they're obviously bound to be beasts. It's got that great "I must find the perfect gun" feel going on which only RNG can provide. 

The sniper rifles in particular stand out to me in The Division. They're incredibly satisfying to use. 

RE: your Destiny mates. The robust  and seamless matchmaking means one can happily play alone, as I have. My group left me behind early on and I've being playing catch up. Eventually we'll all be within playable levels. 

Yeah, I'll definitely give it more time, it just doesn't have the same allure that Destiny had, for me. Right now I'm more tempted by Mad Max.

PSVR pre-orders start on March 22 at 7AM PST. Oddly enough only the $499 bundle is being sold and not the $399 base model. I already own the camera and Move controllers. Not sure whether to secure a pre-order or wait.

It's probably going to sell out but I don't mind waiting till later to pick VR up. I have the useless for now camera and I'm thinking I'll pick up the Move controllers cheaply pre-owned before the price inflates again. 

Any opinions on 'how old is too old' to still be gaming? There was a discussion on a radio show I was listening to yesterday morning, and the general consensus seemed to be that there's something a bit sad about people who are still doing it past the age of 38 or so (unless it's with their kids).

I turn 45 on Good Friday, and am still happily gaming ... 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Any opinions on 'how old is too old' to still be gaming? There was a discussion on a radio show I was listening to yesterday morning, and the general consensus seemed to be that there's something a bit sad about people who are still doing it past the age of 38 or so (unless it's with their kids).

I turn 45 on Good Friday, and am still happily gaming ... 

No, I do not agree with the amusing but staunchly single minded ignorance of Emily Dean on the Frank Skinner breakfast show, who has otherwise expressed a keen interest in handbags and celebrity chinwagging. 

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

They're right.  After 38, people should only be into more grown-up matters like collecting stamps and buying a coffin.