What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I find the lock-on quite useful when you're confronted with half-a-dozen or so enemies. Although it can be a teensy bit frustrating when you lock on, they promptly dive behind cover ... and you instinctively shoot anyway.  

Thank you for your input on the music, appreciate it! :)

I owned multiple consoles over the years, I’m familiar with both the Xbox and Playstation controller (I’m still using my 360 controller with my PC after selling the old console), but I just cannot comprehend the concept of playing shooters with a controller :D I tried, I really tried, but I just suck at it. It added a whole other dimension of tension and terror to the Last of Us on the PS3, but where it should be the main core gameplay, like in Halo, I had to resort to the shameful thing of playing it on a lower difficulty. It’s just not precise enough. I grew up with the Keyboard & Mouse combo, I was a fairly competent semi-pro CS and COD:UO player back in high school, so I think it’s really the controller’s fault, they are far better with platform, racing, and sport games, but inferior at shooters, and strategy games of course.

I don’t necessarily agree. I think for shooters, the hardware of the controller is inferior to the Keyboard-Mouse setup without the aim assist that is implemented on almost every console shooter (The developers of Titanfall even admitted that they’ve put aim assist for controllers into the PC version, so it’s kind of an official aimbot :D).

I tried to play Titanfall on Xbone and I couldn't do it using the controller. I have no idea how to move accurately and comfortably through 3D with two sticks. And I'm okay with that. 

2 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

I don’t necessarily agree. I think for shooters, the hardware of the controller is inferior to the Keyboard-Mouse setup without the aim assist that is implemented on almost every console shooter (The developers of Titanfall even admitted that they’ve put aim assist for controllers into the PC version, so it’s kind of an official aimbot :D).

Aim assist is typically an optional setting for campaigns. I haven't played an online PvP shooter that has aim assist. There are some crazy good twitch players out there. Again, I think it boils down to what you're used to. I've played games with joysticks my whole life. My brain is wired that way. I can't use a keyboard and mouse at all. 

An interesting article about the whole controller subject.

If any of you are interested :)

The Penguin's eye looks weird in the remastered version. But that's not my main concern. This video compares it to the PC versions, and only trailers, which are often times not the final code of the game. My main concern is that after the Arkham Knight PC fiasco, I lost my trust in WB interactive. I was lucky because I got my copy of the game for Steam from a hardware promotion, but I empathize with everyone who spent their hard-earned money on it and got screwed.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Holy crap @SzPeti42 how did you make your post up there full-justified?

Are you complimenting me, or is it some kind of sarcasm? :)

I’m still learning the nuances of the language, I can get confused about sub-text sometimes.

Sorry, I just meant that in this post:

22 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

I owned multiple consoles over the years, I’m familiar with both the Xbox and Playstation controller (I’m still using my 360 controller with my PC after selling the old console), but I just cannot comprehend the concept of playing shooters with a controller :D I tried, I really tried, but I just suck at it. It added a whole other dimension of tension and terror to the Last of Us on the PS3, but where it should be the main core gameplay, like in Halo, I had to resort to the shameful thing of playing it on a lower difficulty. It’s just not precise enough. I grew up with the Keyboard & Mouse combo, I was a fairly competent semi-pro CS and COD:UO player back in high school, so I think it’s really the controller’s fault, they are far better with platform, racing, and sport games, but inferior at shooters, and strategy games of course.

The text is set to fully justified (rather than left, centered, or right justified), in other words all the words are flush on both the left and right sides with added spaces to make sure its always flush.  I see now its an option in the editing tools.  Just never seen anyone use it in a forum post before.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sorry, I just meant that in this post:

The text is set to fully justified (rather than left, centered, or right justified), in other words all the words are flush on both the left and right sides with added spaces to make sure its always flush.  I see now its an option in the editing tools.  Just never seen anyone use it in a forum post before.

Oh yes, I kind of thought that you meant that I fully justified my argument as in I provided enough evidence to support my claim or something like that :D

I tend to write my posts in Word beforehand, because it’s easier for me to spell-check it there, my browser is Hungarian by default but in Word I have a two-click method of changing between the two language’s spell-check, and it’s justified there, so when I copy it, the forum tries to copy the formatting. But as you discovered, you can do it manually by clicking the "Justify" tool.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Aim assist is typically an optional setting for campaigns. I haven't played an online PvP shooter that has aim assist. There are some crazy good twitch players out there. Again, I think it boils down to what you're used to. I've played games with joysticks my whole life. My brain is wired that way. I can't use a keyboard and mouse at all. 

You haven't played Battlefield, CoD, Titanfall or even Destiny's Crucible online before? 

I was going to suggest that someone actually just pasted from a word processor because the forum copies source formatting, but my Americo-centric bias couldn't think of a good reason to do so. A non-English language and spell check are good reasons. 

16 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

16 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

People used to K/M prefer K/M and people used to thumbsticks prefer a controller. I can adapt to either when required. A mouse will obviously always be better for things like aiming, but I still personally prefer to use a controller purely for ergonomic and comfort purposes. That, and keys for traversal have never been as good as a left thumb axis anyway. I play almost every title on PC using an Xbox 360 controller. 

PS the mobile view editing tools on this site for adjusting or deleting quotes are FUCKING SHIT. 

I learned keyboard on Wolfenstein 3D and Doom using just the cursor keys, which I also used for Duke 3D and Quake. I mapped the num pad for Descent with limited success. I started using the mouse with Half Life with normal mouse look, and I remember some game (maybe Jedi Knight) forcing me to use invert mouse look with no way to change it back. I don't think that makes sense but that's what I remember. It really wasn't until Deus Ex 1 that I fully embraced the WASD keyboard layout. Now, with inverted Y-axis and fairly high mouse sensitivity, I can't play any other way. I even beat Duke Nukem 3D on a Build port this way a few years back and it was immensely satisfying. I periodically get the urge to play through Final Doom this way, I think it's time. 

I grew up with invented Y-Axis on a joystick due to the X-Wing / TIE Fighter series (and who knows what older flight sims before that), I think I played Descent with a joystick too.

Then of course Doom, Wolfenstein, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, etc were mouse + keyboard and were amaze-balls.

When Goldeneye and Perfect Dark came to the N64 I got used to the controller just fine, but always used inverted Y-Axis.

HALO 1 on XBox similarly I did OK with controller, but kinda longed for more precise mouse control.

That's about as far as I go into modern gaming unless its Nintendo based, and none of those games are really 3D shooters (I still haven't started the Metroid Prime series).  The 3D Zeldas make great use of the controller with auto-aiming so I never feel like I need a mouse.

Inverted Y-Axis or death, I can't stand when I hop into a game someone's playing and it the other way; I can't adjust ever.

30 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

If you did time in prison and they only had old consoles on offer you would soon adapt to a pad for aiming. 

Why do prisoners have access to video games? They're prisoners! Books, gym equipment, grab ass, and puzzles, okay, but not video games. 

I forgot about the X-Wing games, but I always used a joystick instead of mouse. I also used a game pad for these, the excellent Hammerhead XFX. It works perfectly fine, possibly because the throttle is set to a specific level, allowing the freedom to use a stick for just the direction. A true FPS puts the throttle (forward and backward) on the other stick, which I can't grasp. 

I have tried to get the GOG versions of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games to see my 360 game pad but they don't "see" that as a joystick, which is unfortunate. I haven't found a work around, but I am watching a nice traditional joystick with throttle on Amazon. 

When I tried Skyrim on my friend's computer, I needed to switch to inverted Y. She learned normal. 

Haven't used a computer for gaming to any great extent since I owned my Spectrum (and when I was able to connect a joystick to that, I never looked back ... no more key-bashing for me). 

Yes, it’s absolutely a question of practice and experience, you can get effective with a controller, and personally be better with it than a mouse. I don’t question that, and I even admire the people who are genuinely good shooting with a controller. What I say is that the potential limit of “greatness” that you can achieve without the aim assist is bigger on a hardware that is more precise and customizable. Like for example, I was good playing Need For Speed 3 and 4 with a keyboard, and I was awkward when I first tried it on a controller or wheel, but the fact that the first is a discreet input system means that you will be handicapped compared to a controller with analogue throttle and steering inputs.

I recently played Rise of the Tomb Raider, it was a hybrid experience for me, I plugged in my controller for the exploring and general platforming, but went for my K&M for the shooting segments, I like to enjoy the best of both worlds :D

11 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

You haven't played Battlefield, CoD, Titanfall or even Destiny's Crucible online before? 

Well what do we define aim assist as? I think of snap aiming, but thinking now I forget that COD snugs the camera slightly as enemies cross your line of sight. It's only ever caused death in firefights. 

I finished Uncharted 4.

Spoiler

The game reminded me a lot of The Last Crusade. Sam Drake is a pretty good analogue to Henry Jones Sr. and the story crafts a fairly definitive ending by focusing on Nate's childhood and wrapping it back around to family, the major theme. The hunt for Avery's treasure consumes all those who search for it, past and present, just as the hunt for the grail leaves its seekers broken. The moral is basically the same: the real treasure is family. With Indy it's the rekindling of his relationship with his father; with Nate it's his brother, his wife, Sully, and, ultimately, his daughter. It's a big achievement by Naughty Dog, and commendable that they managed it without killing any of our characters. 

At this point in the game you're searching the paintings for hidden symbols so I wasn't exactly looking at it as a whole lol. Though there is the line "I have no idea who the guy with the monkey sigil is."

That's me done. And with Uncharted 4 us gamers are reminded once again why we don't really miss Indiana Jones movies anymore. 

I3kEB7I.jpg

0Nc9kmJ.jpg

The Uncharted games look great and have fun (though heavily guided) set-pieces but I wouldn't rank them anywhere near the first 3 Indiana Jones movies.  I rank them closer to the likes of the National Treasure series and the first two Mummy films.  Fun and action-packed, but relatively forgettable.

I can't think of another action/adventure treasure hunting game series as good. Lara Croft is longer running but has had a checkered past. I do think it is the game equivalent of the Indy trilogy in the sense that it is the peak of its particular genre. 

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Uncharted games look great and have fun (though heavily guided) set-pieces but I wouldn't rank them anywhere near the first 3 Indiana Jones movies.  I rank them closer to the likes of the National Treasure series and the first two Mummy films.  Fun and action-packed, but relatively forgettable.

Uncharted > Indiana Jones

6 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

That's me done. And with Uncharted 4 us gamers are reminded once again why we don't really miss Indiana Jones movies anymore. 

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Talk about completely over thinking my post :blink:

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Indiana Jones 1-3 > The Mummy (1999) > Uncharted = National Treasure  

You're really serious about this aren't you. Hahahahaha! 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, king mark said:

so none of you pussies are playing Dark Souls 3?

How different is it compared to Bloodborne?

I've finally started Ratchet & Clank. It's been a long time since the last one I played (the brilliant A Crack In Time), and it's scratching that itch for Insomniac's classic gameplay. Makes me want to go back and actually finish Sunset Overdrive on the Xbox One, which is severely underrated.

On 5/26/2016 at 8:03 PM, Lonnegan said:
23 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I'm too hopelessly in love with Overwatch to have time for anything else. 

I'm holding off on it.  I feel like Team Fortress 2 already has everything I'd want from Overwatch plus more... And for free.

(I fucking hate this new quoting system)

I played Team Fortress 2 back in the day. The only thing they honestly have in common is a cartoony art style. Overwatch is also a MUCH faster game. 

On 2016. 06. 04. at 5:45 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Hmm, it looks like Gone Home is available for free on PS plus.  Heard really good things about it.

It's a short (around 3 hours), sweet “walking simulator”. It doesn’t have cut-scenes, barely has any voice-over, the narrative is basically you discovering a house, finding clues, notes, and it’s up to you to piece everything together. It’s like a video game equivalent of an indie short movie.