What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

On 2016. 08. 23. at 9:02 PM, Lonnegan said:

Another comment I noticed on the Eurogamer forums was "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle."

For cosmetics items only I don't mind them at all. Especially if the revenue helps to finance continued support for a game long after its release. Video games are more expensive to make than they have ever been before and I appreciate that publishers need to find new ways to make their investment back. There is however a very fine line between optional non intrusive microtransactions and blatant nickel and diming. I play Overwatch too, and I simply ignore the cosmetic purchases. 

Yeah, that comment sums it up well too.

I share your opinion about this that it’s not inherently a bad business practice and can be used for useful purposes not just for cash-grab, like most of the mobile games business or some really annoying pay-to-win titles, but some developers or PR teams cannot for their life communicate it well even if it’s just for small stuff. I don’t mind if Blizzard says that they want a chunk of extra money if you want to buy cosmetic stuff, but if somebody, or anybody starts explaining that “Uhm, they’re not really part of the game, you shouldn’t care if you don’t want to, we don’t care, you can grind it out yourself, etc.” that can be dishonest because their main goal IS to make money, and maybe they do need it for the constant support, so they’ve clearly put it in there and designed it as a random loot system that requires you to constantly buy boxes to get lucky or to farm in-game money (I use Overwatch as an analogy, but you can insert any game with similar features).

Unless something drastic is changed or added to No Man's Sky in the next 6 months I'll probably just skip it entirely. 

And I only have 3 main quest missions left to do in the Witcher 3! It's dragging out now at 106 hours and I'm ready to have a complete change of gameplay. I don't know how the hell KM plays these things back-to-back all year round. I need a break! 

I had 220 hours in The Witcher 3 on the highest difficulty easily :D It's a state of mind. When you're in the game, you're IN THE GAME. I barely used fast traver for example, I did not mind to travel the same ldistances from Novigrad to Crow's Perch for example, if I needed my master armorer. Maybe it's just me, I had practice since childhood :D

3 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Unless something drastic is changed or added to No Man's Sky in the next 6 months I'll probably just skip it entirely. 

And I only have 3 main quest missions left to do in the Witcher 3! It's dragging out now at 106 hours and I'm ready to have a complete change of gameplay. I don't know how the hell KM plays these things back-to-back all year round. I need a break! 

Indeed. I like to break up my big 40+ hour games with smaller titles that can be beat in a weekend. 

Right now I'm playing No Man's Sky because it's a good game to kinda mindlessly play without thinking before bed. There isn't much else right now that I'm in the mood to play until the BioShock collection releases. 

Battlefield 1

The open beta started yesterday and I played a few matches. First one was a giant one of Conquest that I did horribly in, so I tried out Rush and had a pretty great time. Here's hoping they actually created a normal party system and rolled over smaller game modes. 

I completed The Witcher 3. Phew! 

An absolute monster of a game and arguably one of the greatest hardcore RPGs ever made. Utterly stunning to look at in the right weather conditions too, it can be breathtaking. 

I managed to secure one of the better endings so I'm pretty satisfied with how it finally played out, even if I did entirely stop taking on contracts and side quests after 90 hours or so. The whole thing took me 116 hours, which means that's gonna be it for me and big games for another year or two. 

Now I have a massive craving to shoot things in the face violently for a few days. Doom it is! 

Doom is great. One of my favorites of the year. I envy your Witcher play through; I see it sitting on my shelf from time and time and have that smallest of inklings of giving it another go. My best friend just came back from a year abroad and it was the first game he asked me about. Glad others enjoy it, because I can certainly appreciate the passion CD put into that game.

I just finished Dying Light. It was fun but I felt they copy and pasted various mechanics I had seen in other games in an almost identical fashion. And for some of the key fights they remove all your weapons and inventory....which I felt was a bit cheap

I wanted to play Far Cry Primal but I think it's going to be a bit too similar, so I'll look for something else tomorrow at the library

Picross 3D Round 2 is all I've been playing since it was surprise released on 3DS yesterday.  The first Picross 3D is one of my favorite puzzle games ever made, so it's a dream come true that they're finally releasing it here in the US.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/playstation-4-pro-will-be-your-portal-to-4k-hdr-content-1328159

apparently the PS4 is already obsolete!

Sony will make a killing, since, since gormless gamers will be lining up for this, not realizing they are being fucked in the arse by a tiny but hard Japanese dick!

Not interested in 4K gaming. If it offered 1080p 60fps in games which couldn't manage it on the regular PS4 I'd definitely have upgraded, but it's not going to do that since they've already confirmed that 30fps online games will stay 30fps across the two hardware tiers for purposes of competitive parity. Those titles will just be slightly prettier on the Pro instead. Which is rubbish. So there's no reason to replace what I already have. 

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Not interested in 4K gaming. If it offered 1080p 60fps in games which couldn't manage it on the regular PS4 I'd definitely have upgraded, but it's not going to do that since they've already confirmed that 30fps online games will stay 30fps across the two hardware tiers for purposes of competitive parity. Those titles will just be slightly prettier on the Pro instead. Which is rubbish. So there's no reason to replace what I already have. 

Quoted for future reference!

What you fail to understand though Steef is that I've been following this story very closely for months and last night's announcements have been important to me for confirmation/ purchase decision purposes one way or another. My concern that 4K was to be the main focus came to fruition and that was my mind made up. 

I don't know what Sony is playing at with this, and neither does the industry, because ask any console gamer with a good 1080p display and they will tell you they currently don't give a shit about 4K gaming. 60fps is easily the most requested feature these days, not 4K.

A developer said last night though that competitive online shooters which run @30fps on the current PS4 will not run @60fps on the PS4 Pro, because Sony don't want to give some players an "unfair advantage". Which is a totally lame reason actually (PC players have been happily playing against one another for decades using whatever fps their hardware is capable of). So yeah, Sony didn't deliver on what I personally was looking for as an online gamer with their unveiling last night, so there's no point in upgrading at the moment. If however they eventually change their strategy and guidelines for developers due to failure or demand then I'll obviously be watching closely to see if my stance can be changed. 

One way they could 100% get me to upgrade is if Destiny 2 was revealed to be 60fps on PS4 Pro. I'd buy the system in a heartbeat actually. But that'll never happen, because of fucking "parity". 

Btw, how often do you replace your smartphone? 

We'll see! If I know gamers. A fair few won't be able to cope with the factbthst there's a "better" version of the console out there that they own. 

Like the sort who will buy the iPhone 7 the moment it comes out even though they have a perfectly functional 6s.

Only when the one I have starts to either be too old to function properly. I had my HTC Desire for 2,5 years before I traded it for an iPhone 4s, which I traded in two years later for a iPhone 6.

Both the HTC and the 4s were obsolete models when I got them though. Never, better, faster version were on the market. The 6 is the only time I've ever had a new model phone.

I just got a new phone last month, and hopefully it will last me 3 years!  Generally though I've been upgrading every 2.  Gets expensive.

I'm completely skint at the moment so I can't get a new phone even if I wanted to, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still using my OnePlus One this time next year. It's still the fastest smart device in our house so I can't really complain. 

I think it's a shame they removed the Optical port from the PS4 Slim, because it forces anyone who wants to hook up the console to a sound system to get the Pro.

It's funny I read tons of  comments like "optical is obsolete, get with the times". Sorry most people don't replace  their sound system every few years to get the latest HDMI inputs

Yea I'm in that same boat.  My AV receiver doesn't have any HDMI switching.  I could drop a few hundred dollars to get one that does, but there's literally nothing wrong with our current setup apart from that.  I was annoyed when my Amazon Fire Box arrived and it didn't have optical out.  Guess its a sign of the times.

My TV annoyingly doesn't  pass through any audio from its HDMI inputs to its optical output.  It's only outputs live TV from the antennae to the optical out.  So stupid!

oops

Since sending out my PS4 for repairs last year, I had forgotten to specifically switch on Dolby Digital 5.1 in the settings and was playing all my games in 2.1 PCM 48. I think the console should detect all this stuff automatically though

Anyways with my current PS4 I don't even get a Dolby 5.1 option with HDMI if I try to output the sound from my TV optical so I have to use the optical out on the PS4. Does the PS4 even support surround sound via HDMI?

Well Lords of the Fallen is free on PSN this month

Good thing because it's the only game ever where I got a defective disk and couldn't finish it a year ago

21 hours ago, king mark said:

well at least I got past the portal where my game got stuck the last time (after doing the graveyard boss)

Do the bosses stay manageable or do they get seriously tough? I've only beaten the first two.