What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Yeah my Pro needed to be sent back because it sounded like that chasm that the emperor gets thrown down at the end of ROTJ. They provided a refurbished replacement which sounded quiet for a good while but recently started to become noisier again, so now I have it set up in the adjacent room and have a 10m HDMI lead running to it.

There's no way I won't be getting the PS5 at launch though. Can't wait.

my ps4pro is quieter than the regular PS4 !

I'm still struggling with the Kingdom Hearts 3 controls and the reverse of Dodge/Attack from normal action game placement, especially when your more stressed in boss battles

Imagine if a big shooter game like Borderlands 3 placed the aim on the right trigger and shoot on the left  with no options to change it to normal. There would be a universal outcry and not people telling you to adapt and git gud

Based on y'all's recommendations, I was able to find a cheap copy of Prey, which will be my next gaming pursuit. I saw a review that likened it to System Shock, and how it's more of a horror game than a straight-up shooter, which sounds exciting.

I've just finished one of the best games I have ever played: Return of the Obra Dinn, by Lucas Pope, who had previously that also terrific Papers, Please!

Honestly, the game mechanics, the look, the atmosphere make it one of the most unique and memorable games in recent memory. It's not cutting edge nor high tech in its visuals, but conceptually it blows most games out of the water.

If you like Graphic adventures with a bit a of twist, I can recommend this enough. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:21 AM, Koray Savas said:

I like the art style, and looks similar in gameplay to Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture. I’ll give it a shot. 

Bought it today and played for a couple hours. Cool little puzzler! I just wish the core gameplay mechanics were a little clearer. 

Speaking of clear game mechanics, I've diven deep into Prey this past week. 

Holy crap, this game is _not_ what I was expecting. It's way deeper on pretty much any front, with way more versatility and freedom than I was led to believe around the time of its release. It's a true-blue science fiction game, with some very cool and promising concepts; I have to play more though before I can see if there's going to be a philosophical exploration of them, or if it's just fancy world building excuses for gameplay mechanics.

The horror element is way stronger than I thought, too...in both everyday life and especially media, we become very adept at selective attention: as I type this right now in my living room, for example, there are multitudes of objects that I have completely ignored and placed out of mind...dryer sheets, a desk, power cords, etc. With media, presenting a heightened and focused sense of reality, it's even more pronounced: if you have an urgent objective across multiple rooms for example, you're not paying attention to the furniture and the decor etc., you're focused on clearing the rooms. 

Prey's hook is simple but incredibly effective: what if the threat is all the little things you cast to the periphery of your mind? What would be a standard "flat" room in any other video game is now an intense, deliberate trawl, yourself always on edge and completely paranoid about the cornucopia of minutiae surrounding you at any given moment. You've been in this room before, but that chair, was it always there? Was it always on its side? What was that noise, did it come from that coffee mug? If you hit it, will it shatter and reveal it was what it appeared to be, and leave you vulnerable for the real threat masquerading as the cardboard box right next to it?

It's incredibly nervewracking, and I love every second of it so far.

I bought Prey day one because I loved the revamped Doom so much. I quickly realized it was not in the same boat and felt like an old PS3 game in terms of production values and mechanics. Kinda a knock-off of FEAR. I turned it off after a couple hours and never went back. 

It's a friendlier version of Dead Space. Alien Isolation is another good one at capturing the same methodical science fiction-space station-based adventure with more horror too.

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's a friendlier version of Dead Space. Alien Isolation is another good one at capturing the same methodical science fiction-space station-based adventure with more horror too.

Dead Space was fun I suppose, but the music really dragged that one down for me, and it feels very...straightforward when it comes to horror, if you know what I mean. I'm not saying Prey is leagues better in that department, but the fear and tension tends to come from a more abstract and cerebral place, from what I've experienced.

The gameplay of Prey is far more compelling for me, as well, the way the different mechanics all intertwine and enrich the others. 

As for Alien: Isolation, I loved the mood, and it's great to hear Goldsmith's contributions being acknowledged post mortem (outside of Rambo sequels and the Prometheus movies, how much do we hear his work out and about? Justin excluded). But the game got tedious for me real quick, and I stopped after a while.

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

It's a very highly regarded and well reviewed game, similar in design to System Shock and Bioshock. 

Those are the obvious games to accuse Prey of aping, I'm not quite sure how it comes off as a F.E.A.R. knockoff.

Yeah, I've heard similar complaints about how tedious Isolation can get, I love it more for its atmosphere and world; it definitely felt like it was part of the Alien world.

Anybody here playing THE OUTER WORLDS?

Sounds like an interesting game, made by some of the people who worked on KOTOR

I plan to play it , but this is the type of game you wait for the bugs to be fixed

Finished Devil May Cry 5. I like that you could re-map the controls like you want in the game settings. That's almost essential for an action game like this. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV would have GREATLY benefited from such a feature.

For the rest It seems the game was  made to be played several times because you don't have access to all the features in first playthrough. Also you play as 3 diffterent characters in  the course of the game .That's way too many combos and button presses to  memorize, so you end up not mastering any one of them .

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Anybody here playing THE OUTER WORLDS?

Sounds like an interesting game, made by some of the people who worked on KOTOR

I'm waiting for it to be released on Steam. I have no shortage of games. What I lack is free time. 

This is a good story. 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/31/20941823/outer-worlds-free-obsidian-fallout-2-epic-games-store-exclusive

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Will play Shadow of the Colossus now

I wish that would have come to the PC. 

There's a remake of sorts called Praey for the Gods but I'm on the fence about buying an incomplete game. 

Can BattleFront 2 be considered as a “First Person Shooter” game or does it fall on another genre?

6 hours ago, woj said:

I wish that would have come to the PC. 

There's a remake of sorts called Praey for the Gods but I'm on the fence about buying an incomplete game. 

What isn't complete these days, so much is left off because of release schedules and content offered up as DLC.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

What isn't complete these days, so much is left off because of release schedules and content offered up as DLC.

True, but Early Access games are where indie game makers freely admit their games are incomplete. The AAA game companies release games on whatever release dates their pubs established, and we hope they are complete. 

I want to try an MMO but FF XIV seems too daunting

Black Desert seems fun and it's half price with PS+ now .There's no monthly subscription fees

I bet it'll run like shit on PS4. The game was quite pretty on PC when I last tried it, but it wasn't well optimised.

You should have tried Destiny by now, which is in a fantastic "ideal" place right now - and it's free.

Someone assembled their Pacific theatre Battlefield V gameplay into a cinematic compilation and I think the repetitive nature of the music they used makes it feel a bit like a cartoonish war footage snuff movie.

Finished Shadow of the Colossus. Very beautiful game and feels epic at times but clunky PS2 era controls. Graphics seem completely re-made for PS4. A sort of camera auto adjust  (when you let go of the right stick) makes you dizzy, makes it hard to control the character  or look in the direction  you want to or aim .I don't understand why that wasn't fixed.The horse riding is also counter intuitive and I had to look up a tutorial 

Had to look up a few solutions on You tube on how to climb some of the colossus. Some require you to stand in a specific spot for something to happen and sometimes  it's very hard to guess what your supposed to do. Like standing next to specific stone structures the colossus is supposed to break so you can climb on it, or finding a spot that will make the colossus do a "special" attack that will let you climb it after dodging it.

Anyways, kind of a mixed experience like Last Guardian.

it's not an online game...but the game takes place within a MMO

I don't mind some games with Multiplayer like God eater 3 and Monster Hunter World though I do almost all of it solo. Or Dark Souls with the ghosts of people and messages helping you

Black Desert is a MMO you can do most stuff solo, that's why I chose it.