What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Finished the Modern Warfare campaign the other night. They took obvious inspiration from Sicario on this one. Tension you can cut with a knife. Some pretty heavy gameplay moments that left me taking breaks. A first for a game, for me. I think they handled the grounded tone quite well. 

Modern Warfare 2 and 3 fit that bill more with their optional missions like “No Russian.” This is consistent in its tone and gameplay. Tactical missions like Clean House and The Wolf’s Den are on the level of All Ghillied Up, for me. One of the best FPS campaigns of the generation, for sure. 

Holy cow the final DLCs for Shovel Knight are finally coming December 10th

https://yachtclubgames.com/2019/11/final-release-date-for-all-things-shovel-knight-treasure-trove/

Hopefully in 2020 we can an idea of what Yacht Club's actual next fully new game will be!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I lost interest in Shovel Knight literally 5 years ago, never quite finished it.  It's pretty overrated as a game, but the soundtrack is awesome.

As someone who has a lot of disdain for nostalgia media "love letters" and "homages", I _love_ Shovel Knight. It's an incredibly tight feeling platformer, with very crisp and responsive controls. Combine that with the moveset and the layout of the levels, you have an almost unparalleled sense of flow. Never once when I died did I feel like it was the game's fault, and it offered a great balance of challenge and mercy.

Of course as you mentioned, Kaufman smacked it out of the hockey stadium, and the plot is surprisingly emotional in a silly and cartoony kind of way. 

I'm not too familiar with the DLC because like you I checked out after a while.

7 hours ago, King Mark said:

Jedi:Fallen Order might be the first SW game I'll play in a long time

You’d like it. Metroidvania style worlds with Soulsborne style melee combat. Obviously no where near as difficult though. 

I made a character and started a bit of the game for Black Desert MMORPG

Was expecting complex registration  thing but you just make you character, agree to a few user agreement things (didn't read) and voila your in the game  (PS4).

I like that's it's very 3rd person "souls like" real time action style and not like what I saw of Final Fantasy XIV on You Tube. So far it controls well, looks good and seems to perform well,went from level one to 8 in a few minutes killing bugs and foxes near the opening camp .I'm guessing the rest of the grind will be long .there's was a free "pet" right now ..I read you need those. I still have a  lot to figure out since I never played one of these games before

You also get tokens to buy stuff in game just by logging in every day

It was a great FPS for its day, but more for the long and winding sense of adventure than the rather overrated gunplay itself. With that said, the gravity gun is a seminal tool in video games. The things you could do with it, it felt revolutionary at the time.

I'm assuming Valve are aiming for the same kind of impact with their VR implementation. And I don't think there's another development house in existence who could instill in me the sort of faith I have in this dev to deliver on it. It's what they do, it's why they take ages with anything.

Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet  is a good example why multiplayer in a single player game is bad

I tried the online co-op mode for a few hours and became level 280 out of max 300. I wasn't really good at it but coasted with higher level and better player. But now the main single player story is ruined and too easy because the end game boss is level 70 only

On 11/21/2019 at 10:47 AM, Disco Stu said:

I guess if this isn't able to move VR from niche to mainstream, nothing will be able to.

:lovethis: My favorite part of that video actually is that part where she's pushing junk out of the way on the cabinet to find ammo. If the game is like that all the way through, I'm in!

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

It was a great FPS for its day, but more for the long and winding sense of adventure than the rather overrated gunplay itself. With that said, the gravity gun is a seminal tool in video games. The things you could do with it, it felt revolutionary at the time.

I'm assuming Valve are aiming for the same kind of impact with their VR implementation. And I don't think there's another development house in existence who could instill in me the sort of faith I have in this dev to deliver on it. It's what they do, it's why they take ages with anything.

I haven't played it in almost 15 years (!), but I remember there being this rrally... off-putting emptiness in the world and the gameplay, like it was a full length tech demo than a fully realized game if that makes sense.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've been saying this, the industry is about to go through a revolution. Doubting Thomas's stuck in the past will be eating humble pie, just wait and see.

Judging from the thumbnail I love the ASMR angle they're going for here in this new game! 

I decided to re-start Shantae and the Pirate's Curse from the beginning last night, and had a much better time with it!

This time I finished the whole sewer area and made my way back to Scuttletown, so got to see them rebuilding it and was able to give the map to Risky Boots which allowed me to go to a whole new area!  That area was hilarious with the college coed sunbathers, and having to spin their ham around to soak up it's stink to awaken a giant lizard to get it to drool out a pool they could swim in.  This game is weird, and I love it.  I also collected a bunch of heart squids along the way and having 4 hearts of health instead of 2 makes a huge difference, as does getting the gun so I can finally shoot at enemies from a distance.  I ended my session with a map to the next area, but I haven't gone there yet.

I grew to appreciate the score a lot more now having played more of the game, every scene and section is scored really well!  I've been enjoying listening to the OST album a lot lately.

The game isn't perfect though, I still have massive issues with the controls.  Shantae just doesn't control well, it's a huge step backward for me from the grace with which you can control the Knight in Hollow Knight.  So on top of having to be awkwardly precise with some jumps and generally just sometimes her not going where I want or expect her to, the limited range and side-only nature of her hair attack is also extremely limiting, it's just annoying to have to sit there and time jumps just to kill tiny enemies that are not on the same horizontal plane as your hair reaches from a normal attack.  I hope it gets upgraded to be more like Simon's whip or the Knight's needle where you can actually attack from multiple directions, or I might lose patience with this game despite how wonderful and colorful and fun everything else is

On 9/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, Nick Parker said:

In addition to projectile attacks, you can also upgrade your hair to have longer reach.

You're missing my point entirely. If you are standing somewhere, and an enemy is to your right but slightly above you, your hair or your gun will never hit them, as they only go straight left or straight right. So, you have to jump up and swing your hair at precisely the right time to hit that enemy. And because the jump is this game is not very graceful, and because the hair attack is a very quick jab, it can take a bunch of tries to kill that enemy.

This is different from most platforming games, where you can swing your sword or whip or fire your gun or whatever in multiple directions, and the attack lasts for way more frames so you can just kind of swing wide and easily take down this basic one hit enemy. In this game they make you be frustratingly precise, which doesn't jive at all with the otherwise fun and bubbly atmosphere of the game

Steamworld Dig 2 will be my next game after Shantae 3, and Luigi's Mansion 3 after Link's Awakening.  Can't wait!

Then it's on to Secret of Mana and Mario+Rabbids!

On 11/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, Jay said:

You're missing my point entirely. If you are standing somewhere, and an enemy is to your right but slightly above you, your hair or your gun will never hit them, as they only go straight left or straight right. So, you have to jump up and swing your hair at precisely the right time to hit that enemy. And because the jump is this game is not very graceful, and because the hair attack is a very quick jab, it can take a bunch of tries to kill that enemy.

This is different from most platforming games, where you can swing your sword or whip or fire your gun or whatever in multiple directions, and the attack lasts for way more frames so you can just kind of swing wide and easily take down this basic one hit enemy. In this game they make you be frustratingly precise, which doesn't jive at all with the otherwise fun and bubbly atmosphere of the game

I didn't remember having an issue with that when I played it, so I actually popped on the game and played for a little bit to see what you were talking about.

I can understand why you might not enjoy that, but at the same time it seemed to me that the game was designed very much with that one directional approach in mind. The way the enemies are laid out, their patterns, etc., would be way too easy if you could aim in multiple directions, it'd be like blowing through filler enemies in Super Metroid. 

Of course, you can buy a couple power ups that take care of multiple directions, like the spike balls for added protection, but it feels very balanced to me.

Completed Luigi's Mansion 3 a couple weeks ago, might write my thoughts on it later!

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I didn't remember having an issue with that when I played it, so I actually popped on the game and played for a little bit to see what you were talking about.

I can understand why you might not enjoy that, but at the same time it seemed to me that the game was designed very much with that one directional approach in mind. The way the enemies are laid out, their patterns, etc., would be way too easy if you could aim in multiple directions, it'd be like blowing through filler enemies in Super Metroid. 

Of course, you can buy a couple power ups that take care of multiple directions, like the spike balls for added protection, but it feels very balanced to me.

Completed Luigi's Mansion 3 a couple weeks ago, might write my thoughts on it later!

Is it kind of like Zelda II's sword?

Just now, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Is it kind of like Zelda II's sword?

Kind of, in the directional sense, but your close distance and projectile attacks are distinct moves with different weapons and buttons to trigger them.

It plays way better than Zelda II, though I'm one of the few people apparently who actually likes that one.

Yea it does seem like it's all purposely designed, just I guess not my preference in terms of design. But dang, I made my way through the 3rd area (Spiderweb Island or something like that) and there was a great sequence where you find RottyTops and have to carry her through a series of screens where you lose you ability to attack, it's just running and jumping, and it was great! It was like a Celeste-esque timing and memorizing pattern sequence where you have infinite lives and respawn quickly everytime you die. 

Then I fixed a broken carriage drawn by a skeleton horse by using squid oil I collected from a giant squid who was said about being a boss character so I gave him a travel pamphlet I found in a sewer. Yea, this game is weird and I love it 

I also learned recently that Shantae 5 was already out, since September now? But only on mobile and only part of the game? 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea it does seem like it's all purposely designed, just I guess not my preference in terms of design. But dang, I made my way through the 3rd area (Spiderweb Island or something like that) and there was a great sequence where you find RottyTops and have to carry her through a series of screens where you lose you ability to attack, it's just running and jumping, and it was great! It was like a Celeste-esque timing and memorizing pattern sequence where you have infinite lives and respawn quickly everytime you die. 

Then I fixed a broken carriage drawn by a skeleton horse by using squid oil I collected from a giant squid who was said about being a boss character so I gave him a travel pamphlet I found in a sewer. Yea, this hsmr is weird and I love it 

Ha, I forgot that part of the game. Very fun indeed! Shucks, Jay, you're making me think of giving the game another spin! Have you been capturing those pirate bat things?

Yeah, the fifth game was partially released on mobile in September, with the rest of the game releasing before the end of the year, in conjunction with the full console version. Very weird release strategy, and reviews I've read say it does not feel like it was made for mobile. Maybe they wanted to try accruing some extra wing-wangs to finalize development? I don't know how successful that would be.

Still, I have pretty good hopes for this one, since it's not crowdfunded this time.

Yea I collect the bat's whenever I find and kill one. I like that when you get in Risky's boat, the island selection tells you how many squids and bats you're missing at each one. I have found all of them in any location yet! 

The music in this game is amazing

Finished Code Vein. Love Souls-like games and always a highlight of  the year. Environments weren't as awe inspiring as  a true Dark Souls but exploration and combat was still cool. Also it had an interesting JRPG anime style story like the God Eater serie (same developers)

Code Vein= Dark Souls inspired

God Eater= Monster Hunter inspired

Now I can play that MMORPG Black Desert. I was just logging in for daily rewards and already have a ton  of in-game money and equipment without doing anything

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Now I can play that MMORPG Black Desert. I was just logging in for daily rewards and already have a ton  of in-game money and equipment without doing anything

Surely you know this is how most f2p beginnings go. They seem "generous", at first.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Surely you know this is how most f2p beginnings go. They seem "generous", at first.

I'm sure but it's not f2p, the base game is 40$. I paid 20$ on a PSN sale.

I read you don't have to purchase anything to complete the game. Only inventory storage space is useful but you can get it in the game too.

i just want to play it for a while to add a MMORPG experience to my gaming resume. I payed Monster Hunter World but I'm not sure it counts

I feel dumb; It turns out I had access to upgrades in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse already, and didn't realize!

In the shop in the main town, the item list just showed potions, autopotions, and I think one other thing.  well derp, it turns out if you keep scrolling down, there's actually more stuff there :p

I was able to buy upgrades that made my hair attack faster, and do more damage, and an upgrade to make my gun do more damage :p  I'm also exploring the 3rd major area still, and found another upgrade, a pirate had that I can do long jumps / slow descents with.  Everything is getting better in this game.  The controls are still incredibly clunky compared to Hollow Knight but I'm living with it.