What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

You're essentially playing the franchises in the wrong order, but hey ho. It'd be like seeing The Mummy and then watching Raiders after it. Also, if you ever do play Uncharted, I'd skip straight to the second game. The first one is very crude now, and it was never that great to begin with. Uncharted 2 however probably still looks decent and it's the best one. It's a fabulous adventure game.

Have you played Bluepoint’s remaster? Drake’s Fortune is significantly improved in terms of visuals and performance. They did a great job with it. 

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Have you played Bluepoint’s remaster? Drake’s Fortune is significantly improved in terms of visuals and performance. They did a great job with it. 

I think I actually played through the whole thing. It's mechanically inferior to the sequels, as well as visually. NG really refined the movement and shooting mechanics after the first game; I remember the shooting gameplay in the original is pretty rote by today's standards.

Alright , finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Good game but the core mechanics felt like a mixture of Far Cry, Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed. These maps full of icons and collectibles are starting to feel familiar.  I liked solving the tomb puzzles the best and that's what sets it apart. I'l try to do the 2 previous ones to see what happened before in the story.

Alright next up is The Surge 2, a scifi souls like game .First one was pretty good.

Final Fantasy VII Remake pushed back from March 3rd to April 10th

Talk about a stacked first half of the year for AAA titles

03-11 Ori and the Will of the Wisps

03-20 Doom Eternal

03-20 Animal Crossing: New Horizons

03-?? Half-Life: Alyx

04-03 Resident Evil 3 Remake

04-10 Final Fantasy VII Remake

04-16 Cyberpunk 2077

04-24 Trials of Mana

05-29 The Last of Us Part II

The Avengers has also been delayed till September.

Of that list, I'm only following TLOU2 and Cyberpunk. Although, I am actually curious about The Avengers, since it's said to be copying the Destiny model.

This week I started playing Steamworld Dig 2

Holy hell, what a game!  A perfect sequel in the sense it keeps everything great from the original but adds millions of great new features as well.  I'm addicted!

Holy hell Steamworld Dig 2 is awesome and addicting

I think I'm 7-8 hours in now, just entered Vectron

It's so satisfying to dig down, get a bunch of resources, pop back up and cash them in, get some upgrades, and go back in more powerful.

And the boss fights have been cool so far too.

Great game.

Good. More time to fix bugs and iron out kinks. I'm cautiously optimistic just because it's CDPR but wasn't hyped for it, so this is perfect.

Surge 2 is pretty cool

It plays like Dark Souls but there's areas where NPC's have dialogue and give sidequests so that's more like a traditional RPG. The city is like a maze and it takes a while to know your way around

Got to play SteamWorld Dig 2 twice since my last post.  The Vectron area was the COOLEST area in the game by far, completely different aestethic, and holy shit inducing moments when the robots wake up and start charging at you, talk about intense!  I am sure I missed some secrets in there, hopefully just gems, because I don't think there's a way to go back in.

Now I'm trying to destroy 3 Doomsday machines, already did the first one in an area near the beginning of the game, now it looks like the other two are deep down in new areas.  Luckily I got the jetpack upgrade which is SO COOL!  The freedom of exploration now is wonderful.

49 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Cleared Battlefront II from my backlog. What a crappy single player campaign, eh?

I couldn't get past the first mission, it was so mundane and run of the mill.

49 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’ll give the multiplayer a try since it apparently has more concurrent players since launch. 

Multiplayer is legitimately awesome. I really need to make more of an effort with it.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I am sure I missed some secrets in there, hopefully just gems, because I don't think there's a way to go back in.

I 100%ed that game and there is a way back in!  It‘s pretty scary!

Yea it was creepy in there. I loved the glitches too and the way it ends with you getting run down (at least that's how it ended for me) 

On 1/20/2020 at 5:39 AM, Quintus said:

Nice one for saving me the cost and effort, KM. I fancied that game, but I'll skip it.

well if you get passed that the rest of the game is more manageable .It's like the Final Boss was in the middle of the game

Anyways finished it and now I play God of War

Just finished my first play-through of KOTOR 2, about a month after I first started playing KOTOR 1 over the holidays. Man, this was all just what I needed, to cleanse my palate of the sequel trilogy and other such nonsense. My little brother had been nagging me to play KOTOR for years; I'm so glad I finally made the time for it. Any other fans here?

8 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Just finished my first play-through of KOTOR 2, about a month after I first started playing KOTOR 1 over the holidays. Man, this was all just what I needed, to cleanse my palate of the sequel trilogy and other such nonsense. My little brother had been nagging me to play KOTOR for years; I'm so glad I finally made the time for it. Any other fans here?

Ohhhhhh yeah there are. You'll find a decent number of fans here.

Did you play with the restored content mod? It really brings the game to a new level.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Ohhhhhh yeah there are. You'll find a decent number of fans here.

Did you play with the restored content mod? It really brings the game to a new level.

I did! Yeah, I had heard that there was a lot of stuff cut last minute before the game's release.

51 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The first one is one of the greatest RPGs ever made, up there with Balders Gate and Morrowind. I never played the sequel.

I would highly recommend playing the sequel. I loved it about as much as the first, if not more.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

I did! Yeah, I had heard that there was a lot of stuff cut last minute before the game's release.

I would highly recommend playing the sequel. I loved it about as much as the first, if not more.

It took me a while, but the second one, even with its very bleak tone--the darkest "big" Star Wars story?--definitely won me over the first one. The first one is a fun romp, while the second one gets much deeper with its themes, characters and settings. I promise I didn't just copy that from a Star Wars-Empire Strikes Back review.

I like the music better too.

The music in the second one is by Mark Griskey, who composed the music for the Narnia games as well as THE FORCE UNLEASHED—all good video game scores. It also sounds live(?), at least more-so than the obviously-sampled first game's soundtrack. This soundtrack definitely made more of an impression on me than the first one.

But yes, I agree about the themes as well. Kreia has become an instant favorite SW character of mine; great voice(!), and genuinely interesting from a philosophical perspective. I wish the new canon under Disney would reintroduce her.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Never played it, but apparently it’s being remade by EA. 

Not looking forward to that. Fortunately the two originals are in my Steam library and I still CDs for them anyways. 

Finished SteamWorld Dig 2!

3 sessions ago I ventured into the temple and cleared that doomsday machine

2 sessions ago I went down the main mine looking for the third but only found a platforming challenge, so then i realized I had to go back into the plant area, and that's where I found the third and final doomsday machine

Yesterday afternoon I head back into the plant area to take the pipe to see Rosie, and was shocked after getting there and going in the door, that there was just one boss fight, which I beat on my first try, and the game was over!  Great ending and final cutscene and additional end credits story through pictures, etc.  Very satisfying.

Completion time was around 12 hours.

But then it told me my secret percentage was a mere 59% :(  I wasn't even close to having all the equipment either, I still had tons of things left to buy and I think I only had like 18 out of 42 artifacts, and tons of upgrades to unlock.

SO!  I immediately went back in and HAD A FREAKING BLAST looking for everything I missed.  One by one I went into every cave until they all got a checkmark.  Many caves I had only entered then immediately left, and while also trying to fill in the entire map I found many caves I had never found before at all!  Along the way I found two ENTIRE powerups I never had - a grenade launcher, and a longer grappling hook.  The grenade launcher is a bit underwhelming, not really sure what use-cases it has.  The longer grappling hook is basically completely pointless, as by the time I found it I already had the fully upgraded jetpack so I could basically hover infinitely anywhere.

When all was said and done, I got stuck with 40 out of 42 artifacts, 2 areas showing me 100% secrets found, and the other four areas showing me 93-96% secrets found.  And now I have all upgrades purchased except the final jackhammer one(s).

I have NO IDEA how to find the last 2 artifacts, everything on my map looks filled in!  I guess I have to look up a list of artifacts and compare it to the ones I have or something.  Blerg.  I kind of want to since I am so close to 100%.

Great game, highly recommended.  I'll probably be at 14 hours or so when I hit 100%

It looks spectacular , especially in HDR. The design is breathtaking. I'm taking my time. I explored the lake a first time, did some sidequests, cleared Alfheim,  went up the mountain and now I'm at the phase where the water level went down another time.  I think that's still early in the game.

Negatives:

You can't fall  when jumping gaps or climbing walls. In Tomb Raider or a Souls game you can fall and die so the environment is not as "dangerous" as I'd like. And maybe too many "invisible walls"

Also there's no DLC's and I'd do them for this game

Also I'd like to use the classic controls where light and strong attack are mapped to Square and Triangle instead of RB and RT (because it just works better), BUT then shooting the Axe is also remapped to Square and Triangle and that doesn't work because you can't aim with the right stick at the same time. Most games automatically re-map shooting to RT as soon as you activate the left aiming trigger but they forgot or something.

I enjoyed God of War despite my thinking it took an age to get going and then later I thought it dragged on too long. I didn't clear every side mission, focusing mainly on the main questline. Even that was exhausting, but I appreciated the fine video game craft that went into it all nonetheless.

I did a fair few, but I went around them once I began to realise how long the game would take me to finish.

The HDR is spectacular, especially inside the fast travel structure.

I found the game to be a perfect length. I never got bored with it. I wanna say it took me around 30-40 hours to 100% everything, which is the sweet spot for me. Taking on the Valkyries in the endgame was the true highlight of the combat mechanics. @King Mark you’ll enjoy those. 

My average playtime for game is usually 2-3 times the "average"

But in this game there's no way to check it. Same with Tomb Raider.  I don't understand why they couldn't include "total play time" in the save window at least

It’s a bizarre thing that’s absent from the PlayStation Network. They do track hours played in the backend, they just don’t make it public until the end of the year and put it into a little presentation for you. Strange choice.