What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

7 years late but I bought the Last of Us Remastered during the week. Going to wait until I have a bit of down time before diving in. 

Nothing more needs to be said about that game that hasn't already been said.

The one tip I would offer is this: disable Listen mode!

I dunno, being unable to see through fucking walls is the old fashioned way to play games these days, but it makes for a vastly superior experience overall. On normal difficulty, it isn't an exactly hard game anyway. (I played on Hard and it was still enjoyable).

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Great game and decent dramatic and suspenseful game too. I clocked it in a weekend and found it an adrenaline rush on easy mode.

I always play games on easy/story mode... I'm more interested in story and experience than the challenge. I'm not a huge gamer though. 

Normal is essentially easy mode these days anyway. Apart from outliers such as the From Software stuff, mainstream games haven't been hard for around fifteen years. Today's easy mode is basically grandpa mode.

I remember playing Last Ninja 1 & 2 on the C64 in 1988. They were uncompromising back then and would be considered unacceptably difficult now.

The Last Of Us on Grounded mode is one of the most difficult games I’ve ever played. It almost broke me, but I made it through. The cabin scene with David took me several hours to beat. 

I’ll always be proud of myself that I beat COD: World At War on Veteran. Somehow, someway. 

Ninja Gaiden on XBox for me! It's notoriously hard already, but it's also one of those games where depending on where you save you can really screw yourself over. There were several times I thought I'd have to start the whole game over!

36 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’ll always be proud of myself that I beat COD: World At War on Veteran. Somehow, someway. 

Christ, I remember I did that too. A thoroughly dreadful experience. 

Last of Us is vastly overrrated!

On 1/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, Koray Savas said:

Taking on the Valkyries in the endgame was the true highlight of the combat mechanics. @King Mark you’ll enjoy those. 

I attempted one in mid game and it took me 2 hours of attempts to beat it. I'll go back later for the rest when I have better armor.  This is Dark Souls hard...

And I kept losing when it has 1/10th of it's health bar left

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Use a free trial of PlayStation Now?

I might need to look into that. I was not aware this exists or that PS# games can be streamed to PC. 

EOIXNvLWsAA0ZUe.gif

So far each Valkyria in GOW  has taken me 2 hours+ to beat (I beat 4). I'm still playing with early game armor though.These are REAL boss fights where you have to learn to counter their every move

I also have a very sore thumb and almost made a blister

I did all the sidequests now, so I upgraded to the Dwarven armor and Valkyrie armor, better enchantments and the last 3 Valkyries didn't give me too much trouble .My super frost beam would take out half their health bar in one shot

Now I tried the Valkyrie Queen Sigrun and I'm getting my ass kicked . But I did get a lot of practice from those I beat when I was under levelled and I'm getting her health down pretty far.

Edit :I beat Sigrun after a few more tries on normal difficulty. It was tight, I was almost dead but she missed an attack and I nailed her. Still a very difficult boss battle  but took me less time than the first few Valkyries I faced.

God of War is definitely one of the top 10 games of the PS4 era, maybe top 5 even.

Did anyone play State of the Decay a few years back? I always fancied it but didn't bother at the time. Anyway, I finally bought a cheap copy of it on Steam and have been playing it a fair bit, on and off. Somehow, a truly definitive zombie survival action management sim is still yet to be made, but SoD is about as close as anyone's gotten so far. It has a real time clock working in the background, even when the game is closed. The other night I went to bed concerned that one of my main characters, who'd fallen gravely ill, might not survive the night. I booted up the game again the following evening with a a real sense of trepidation, and was relieved to discover he was okay and over the worst. 

So, that was a first for me in video game experiences. Turns out it's still possible to be surprised. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Are you playing the original or the sequel? I played a few hours of the sequel but didn’t fancy it much. A bit too buggy and underdeveloped for me, though the core concept was interesting. 

The original albeit the updated/remastered Year One Survival Edition, which came with both expansions. 

Btw, the sequel saw a year's worth of updates since launch and is still supported. Reddit seems to think its great these days. 

I finished God of War .The only thing I didn't like was the timed  poison mist  maze...got annoying real fast.   I also turned off the QTE's in the settings because I feel no game should have QTE's

Now i'll try something completely unusual for me..Jay's speciality, a 2D sidescroller RPG  called Super Neptunia RPG. Just because I'm a fan of this series and it's actually gaming parodies.

Here's what's written on the box: " Neptune awakens with no memory of who she is in a strange world where 2D games reign supreme.." I guess they'll make fun of the Switch

32 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Jay's speciality, a 2D sidescroller RPG

What's a 2D sidescroller RPG?  I've never played something like that to the best of my knowledge

Unless you are talking about something else using terminology I've never seen before

Hollow Knight , Octopath Traveller.. .Games where you can only move from one side of the screen to the other and jump a lot. Maybe I should call them 2D platformers but a lot of them seem to have RPG elements lately

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's a 2D sidescroller RPG?  I've never played something like that to the best of my knowledge

Unless you are talking about something else using terminology I've never seen before

Looking up on Google, the only ones I could think of you might have played were Castlevania series and Zelda II

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Hollow Knight , octopath traveller and games like that

Hollow Knight is an Metroidvania Action Adventure game.

Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania. Octopath Traveler is a JRPG. Nobody would call either game a "2D sidescroller RPG". I think you just made that term up. 

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

I finished God of War .The only thing I didn't like was the timed  poison mist  maze...got annoying real fast.   I also turned off the QTE's in the settings because I feel no game should have QTE's

Now i'll try something completely unusual for me..Jay's speciality, a 2D sidescroller RPG  called Super Neptunia RPG. Just because I'm a fan of this series and it's actually gaming parodies.

Here's what's written on the box: " Neptune awakens with no memory of who she is in a strange world where 2D games reign supreme.." I guess they'll make fun of the Switch

Hehe, that actually sounds pretty funny, and I hate that aesthetic. I'd never play it but the comedic and satirical potential there is a goldmine.

Can't say that 2D Neptunia game is very exciting, but I'll try to finish it

I also have Bard's Tale IV Director's Cut. I watched a bit of gameplay and it seems interesting

So bard's Tale 4 is interesting. Everything feels very old school like a game from 2 decades ago ( turn based combat, inventory...etc..), but you move around in first person perspective so at least you get drawn into the environments

On 2/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, Edmilson said:

I've been playing the Paul McCartney scored videogame Destiny over the last few weeks. So far, it's good, great shooter fun. And great score as well.

McCartney only co-wrote the title song with plays over the end credits. Michael O'Donnell composed the score, with additional material written my Bungie stalwart Michael Salvatori.

48 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So bard's Tale 4 is interesting. Everything feels very old school like a game from 2 decades ago ( turn based combat, inventory...etc..), but you move around in first person perspective so at least you get drawn into the environments

That's even more old-school!

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

McCartney only co-wrote the title song with plays over the end credits. Michael O'Donnell composed the score, with additional material written my Bungie stalwart Michael Salvatori.

That's what I've read, but the official OST does credit McCartney as co-composer, alongside Michael Salvatori, C. Paul Johnson and Martin O’Donnell. Even on Spotify the Destiny OST is a credited as a Paul McCartney album. In any case, I know he didn't worked on actual cues for the game, I just found amusing the idea of ex-Beatle Paul McCartney composing the original score for a science fiction videogame.

Overall, Salvatori, Johnson and O'Donnell did a great job, there's some really good, evocative choir music on the game.

The full breakdown of what happened is online, maybe Kotaku or somewhere like that. It's ancient history now.

Edmilson, Marty O'Donnell composed the vast majority of the thematic material in the first game. You should check out his Music of the Spheres, which was eventually leaked and then released officially - O'Donnell had been until then forbidden from releasing the score himself.

22 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

That's even more old-school!

Well I know what you mean but it's not like that .

I think Bard's Tale  4 is similar to Divinity Original Sin, but in first person perspective instead of Isometric, which I like a lot better of course .

I don't mind retro elements in games as long as you give me a first or 3rd person perspective to get immersed in the environments. 2D sidescrolling or Isometric view are relics of the past when consoles didn't have enough graphical power.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm checking every day to see if the WSOP is canceled since I've had a flight booked for month.  Of course that flight have halved in price since I booked it

Anybody here ever play the ACE ATTORNEY games?

Image result for ace atttorney

I've never played one, but their fans are very vocal about how great they are, and a trilogy collection of the original 3 games is currently on sale in in the Switch eShop for $15, so I'm contemplating picking that up.

Any thoughts?

I just picked it up for sale on PS4. I’ve played the first couple chapters of the first game and am enjoying it. It’s very much the root of DanganRonpa, a game franchise I love. But it doesn’t have the complexity and “challenge” of those games. Maybe in the sequels they ramp up the trials. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Cool, thanks!

I played the second one back in the day. The major appeal is the writing, characters, and the slow sense of feeling like you, the player, is solving a novel crime that no one else has. If you're looking to take a break from more action oriented games, these games _really_ slow down the pace.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've heard that Rocksteady would announce their new DC-related game (which may or may not initiate a shared universe on gaming and include other heroes from the Batfamily) on E3. I was anticipating that game, so this is really sad.