What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Uncharted 2 is great!  The first Uncharted is a bit clunky at times, especially in the vehicle levels.  I’m surprised to hear they didn’t work on that for the remasters.

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. Cliches with some very clunky dialogue but the landscapes are breathtaking.

it's good once the story gets into gear.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Uncharted 2 is great!  The first Uncharted is a bit clunky at times, especially in the vehicle levels.  I’m surprised to hear they didn’t work on that for the remasters.

Just as a general aside, there is a fundamental difference between a remaster and a ground-up remake. The Uncharted collection remasters keep everything from the original games in tact, while only boosting visual fidelity and performance. Things like lighting, textures, and frames per second. A remake like the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro collections, start from scratch and fix things like controls, camera, and gameplay.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:
10 hours ago, Bilbo said:

For a 13-year old game, Drake's Fortune holds up incredibly well, in my opinion. Bluepoint did a fantastic job on the remaster, bringing it up to par visually with the other installments. It's not a long game by today's standards; how far are you into it, Bilbo?

I think I got to chapter 15 or 16 or something. I think there’s 25 in total. I stopped to play HZD. If I finish that before Ghost of Tsushima comes out I’ll try and finish Uncharted 1. 

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I think I got to chapter 15 or 16 or something. I think there’s 25 in total. I stopped to play HZD. If I finish that before Ghost of Tsushima comes out I’ll try and finish Uncharted 1. 

There are 22 chapters, so you are very close. 

All right, I just beat The Last of Us - Part 2 yesterday. And geez, what a ballsy game that one is!

Naughty Dog took a huge chance by...

Spoiler

making the player to control the woman that brutally murdered Joel for half the game.

And while I don't think the game is always successful on the many things it tries to do, I believe this is a worthy companion to the classic first game. 

And holy shit, the perfomance capture really evolved over the last decade! It's wonderful how here the mocap captured every smallest hint on an actor's performance, making everything feel all the more believable.

I recommend this video essay detailing the game's plot and structure:

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is a very minor one, but: I played the entire game with headphones on, since I was playing at night after my wife went to bed.  Well, when you find audio recorders in the game and play them back , the audio messages on them don't come through headphones, they come out of the damn controller itself, and there is no option to turn it off!  So I had to scramble to stop playing them so I didn't wake my wife up, so I never learned whatever I was supposed to learn from them

There was only a few of them but the ones in the hospital fill in Marlene’s story and acceptance of having to kill Ellie. You can find transcripts online. Can you not read them in the game though? Maybe you can’t I’ve never tried it. 

The Last of Us looked pretty cutting edge when it originally debuted 7 years ago. Increasing the resolution of the textures was never going to make it look as impressive as today's titles. PBR was not utilised in this game, for starters.

17 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

There was only a few of them but the ones in the hospital fill in Marlene’s story and acceptance of having to kill Ellie. You can find transcripts online. Can you not read them in the game though? Maybe you can’t I’ve never tried it. 

I didn't see any options to display the audio as text, no.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The Last of Us looked pretty cutting edge when it originally debuted 7 years ago. Increasing the resolution of the textures was never going to make it look as impressive as today's titles. PBR was not utilised in this game, for starters.

Well I mean, I played the entire game in 4K on my 55" living room TV, and it's not any lighting that was an issue either.  I am talking about the uncanny valley effect of them going for realism and not accomplishing it.  Even in today's games the uncanny valley is still there, they are just getting closer and closer is all.

I guess what I mean is, when a game goes for stylized graphics, likes Breath of the Wild or Wind Waker for example, they tend to be more timeless; They look great when they come out, they look great 20 years later.  But when these modern games go for realistic looking characters, they only really look great when they come out, and just age more and more poorly as more and more time passes and they get completely surpassed by better hardware and software.

It's not a huge complaint, and I don't think they made the wrong choice going for realism over something more stylized or anything, but sometime it was really quite wonky for what was supposed to be a huge AAA title.  And it was only an issue in cutscenes anyway, all the animations in gameplay were top notch

The actors were mo-capped on set but the facial animations were still key frame. ND didn’t start capturing facial data until Uncharted 4. 

I think considering it’s a 7 year old game it still looks fantastic.

Yea, I just watched the teaser and trailer for Last of Us Part 2 and the graphics were absolutely fantastic, and definitely noticed much better facial animations. 

Playing TLoU p.2. getting pissed off with having to slog through patrol after patrol, stealth killing enemies and then moving onto another section only to have to go through the same nonsense again. I'm having a bit of Deja Vu with Ellie taking down an entire army, just like Nathan Drake does in the Uncharted games!

The graphics in TLoU 2 are unbelieavable. Every minor facial expression, every small detail in the actor's performances, and it makes all the more real because of that. It's a good reason to find a great TV to play this (or to get one just to play the game, lol).

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sweet!  Looking forward to it.

I play my PS4 on my 55" 4K HDR TV

🤤 jealous. I play on 32” 1080p tv 😂

The game looks gorgeous even at that though. 

The Last Of Us: Left Behind

Played this the next night after finishing the main game.  If anybody out there like the first and/or second game and hasn't played this: I highly recommend you check it out: It's pretty awesome!

ArtStation - The Last of Us: Left Behind - Colorado Mall, Brian Beppu

It simultaneously tells two stories: The framing story takes place during the first game, in between when Joel collapses after the rebar incident, and before they are living in the basement of that house while he recovers.  In this story, you control Ellie exclusively and have to go through a mall in Colorado to get a first aid kit to patch him up.  This is where most of the gameplay is, but very little story.

Inside the Mind Behind the Brilliant New Last of Us DLC | WIRED

In between that, we get extensive flashbacks to a younger Ellie, before the events of the first game, where an old friend who had left for military training returns and they go out to rummage through an empty mall in the Boston quarantine zone and eventually the story she tells Joel in the final scene of the main game plays out.  This whole sequence was really great, with terrific acting, music, and pacing.  There is one magic gaming moment I'll never forget where Riley describes a video game you are playing as Ellie that's actually broken, it was superbly done!  Overall there's not a lot of gameplay in this part though.

The Last of Us Left Behind (Win) Arcade Video Game Ellie Riley ...

Most of the gameplay is during the framing story, and it's pretty great.  It's the exact same engine and graphics and everything else as the main game, but they add one new mechanic that was awesome, that I can't believe wasn't actually in the main game until I thought about it later:  There are a few times where you are up again both humans and infected in the same area, and you can actually get the infected to kill off the humans for you (or vice versa), which was really cool to see.  Like you could choose to take out one group yourself, or stay hidden and let the chips fall where they may.  It was really well done every time.

Overall, highly recommended, a fantastic DLC (and it's great it's included for free within the PS4 remaster)

Play time: I dunno, the game didn't tell me

I actually found the expansion to be quite meh and overrated, I was disappointed after its hype. But I realise I'm probably in the minority there.

Expansion?  It's a completely separate 4 hour side story, doesn't add anything to the main game itself

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero “Ultimate Day One Edition” Is Available ...

Played this on the Switch.  I truly don't understand the general consensus on this one, which was that it was a step backward after Pirate's Curse.  Everything I heard or read said that it was more like a straightforward platformer and less of a metroidvania, that it was missing the magic of the earlier games, etc.  Well, I liked it more than Pirate's Curse!

I'd say the music is the only thing that isn't better than Pirate's Curse; and the music was still very very good, just not an instant classic like Pirate's Curse.

I liked the new animation style, it really fit the world and characters like a glove, and allowed for nice neat character modeling and background details, like the infinite scrolling platform shown avove.

I loved the transformations, which were SUPER fun.  I understand those were a feature of the first 2 games and left out of Pirate's Curse, which is another thing that makes me wonder why everyone thinks Pirate's Curse is the best.  What I loved was that only was it fun to figure out if you needed to transform in to the monkey, the crab, the mouse, the spider, the mermaid, or whatever else, but each one was also fun to use in their own different ways - some aiding exploration, some aiding combat, some both - but ALSO I loved the little music ditty that played when the transformation toggle came up and you had to pick each one.  Super fun

The general combat was improved over Pirate's Curse too, with the hair whip being better from the start and very quickly upgraded.

All the characters were just as quirky and fun, the setting was fun.

The level design was really good!  It was pretty neat how you go through each level the first time, then subsequent visits have a ton of differences plus your new transformations let you find tons of new areas.

Overall, I loved the game and finishing it really made me want to go play the others in the series!

I'll pick up 5 when it goes on sale for the Switch, and I am glad that Wayforward just announced 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch too because I wasn't sure how to play them otherwise.  Can't wait!

Play time: 10 hours

@Jay Huh, very interesting. My biggest complaints with the game were that the writing felt really toned down, as if they were rebooting Shantae to try to appeal to a wider, and maybe younger, audience, and the levels, having had to been designed individually based on crowdfunding goals, didn't connect to each other very well, both in narrative and gameplay. I think the music suffered from that as well.

I'll be curious to see what you think of the first two: the first one definitely is a challenge, but the second one is pretty short.

I actually had the same issue with the writing in both 3 and 4, which is that they just assume you know all the characters and their backstories, which I didn't having never played 1 or 2.  This was less of an issue in 4, since at least I knew them from 3, but I feel like some sort of recap of their basic nature and their relationship to Shantae would have really helped a lot.  Another weird thing was that Risky Boots was your ally in 3, and all of a sudden she's the villain again in 4...

I didn't really experience any level disconnect like you described.  Actually, I kind of consider it a stretch to call these games metroidvanias; They are really more like platformers with SOME metroidvania elements.  Both 3 and 4 are set up the same way really, you travel to each of the levels (by Risky's boat in 3 or Sky's bird in 4) and start from the beginning of the level each time and work your way to the end, using new upgrades to access areas you couldn't before.  To me to be a true metroidvania all the levels are connected as one giant map, and when you return to old areas you are so upgraded you can find short cuts or new entry/exit posts to change how you traverse through them.  In these games you always start at the same place and there are no real shortcuts, other than late game flight powerfuls to soar past some stuff.

At least in this game you get the Warp Dance to skip to the next section of each level without replaying them, and you could immediately use the whistle once you got the item you knew you came there for.  I dunno, it was all pretty fluid to me.  Which is to say, equally as un-fluid as Pirate's Curse, I guess.

I am curious to see how Seven Sirens stacks up, but since I reckon it'll be a while till it hits the $10 mark I'll likely be playing Risky's Revenge first

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Ignore, he's just being his normal pedantic self.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I actually had the same issue with the writing in both 3 and 4, which is that they just assume you know all the characters and their backstories, which I didn't having never played 1 or 2.  This was less of an issue in 4, since at least I knew them from 3, but I feel like some sort of recap of their basic nature and their relationship to Shantae would have really helped a lot.  Another weird thing was that Risky Boots was your ally in 3, and all of a sudden she's the villain again in 4...

I was thinking about the humor mainly, but that is valid. It didn't bother me much in Pirate's Curse, it just felt like you were thrown into this group of established friends,  which if I remember is how the first one goes, too. There was one gag line in 4 that I thought was funny where a character basically admitted he didn't know if the game was a sequel or reboot.

47 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I actually found the expansion to be quite meh and overrated, I was disappointed after its hype. But I realise I'm probably in the minority there.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Expansion?  It's a completely separate 4 hour side story, doesn't add anything to the main game itself

33 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You know what he meant!

28 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Ignore, he's just being his normal pedantic self.

Woah woah woah, I truly wasn't being pedantic!

I always thought "expansion" was used for a DLC that changed things within the existing game, like Hollow Knights DLCs, the balloon game added to Mario Odyssey, all the stuff they added to Breath of the Wild, etc etc.

Left Behind is sold as a completely standalone game that you didn't even have to own the original game to play.  Isn't it more like Uncharted: Lost Legacy than anything else?

17 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I was thinking about the humor mainly, but that is valid. It didn't bother me much in Pirate's Curse, it just felt like you were thrown into this group of established friends,  which if I remember is how the first one goes, too. There was one gag line in 4 that I thought was funny where a character basically admitted he didn't know if the game was a sequel or reboot.

Hmmm, both games had funny parts that made me laugh, for sure, but thinking back maybe Pirate's Curse had more of them....  Hard to remember now!

Hmm, I don't remember any parts of 4 like you describe, IE pondering on if its a sequel or a reboot.  You may be thinking of when you find Squid Baron, and he talks about wanting his own game, and Shantae says the only audience would be a subset of her own, etc

EDIT: I found the bit on line here (play button brings you right to it):

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, I don't remember any parts of 4 like you describe, IE pondering on if its a sequel or a reboot. 

Naw, it's an NPC line from one of the townspeople, easy to miss.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Woah woah woah, I truly wasn't being pedantic!

I always thought "expansion" was used for a DLC that changed things within the existing game, like Hollow Knights DLCs, the balloon game added to Mario Odyssey, all the stuff they added to Breath of the Wild, etc etc.

Left Behind is sold as a completely standalone game that you didn't even have to own the original game to play.  Isn't it more like Uncharted: Lost Legacy than anything else?

Left Behind is considered more DLC than a standalone game. It wasn't initially available on its own, if I remember correctly. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Left Behind is considered more DLC than a standalone game. It wasn't initially available on its own, if I remember correctly. 

Whatever it is it’s great. 

Have never touched a Smash game, or any fighting game as far as I can remember, in my life, I have no idea what I’m doing, I’m just playing around with different combos seeing what Yoshi does, getting my booty handed to me and I’M HAVING FUN.

0542951C-82FE-44ED-99B7-DDF81D0E96B6.jpeg

I can't get into Smash, or any fighting games really.

As a kid I LOVED Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, but that love has no persisted into any of my adult gaming at all

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Whatever it is it’s great. 

I really liked it a lot.  I think it had better emotional payoffs than the main game, and the new addition to the combat was really fun.

Both games combined to leave me a bit weary of bleak games where you shoot everyone in the face, so I was happy to mix in some Shantae towards the end and then play Journey and then start Life Is Strange as my next PS4 games.  After those and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn, though, I'm looking forward to starting the Uncharted series, and very much looking forward to TLOU2 when it hits $20

I've been playing one of my favorite open world videogames from the previous generation: Sleeping Dogs. I love the Hong Kong atmosphere the game has, and it's a pretty funny game. Just like a Grand Theft Auto with martial arts and set on the Far East.

42 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I've been playing one of my favorite open world videogames from the previous generation: Sleeping Dogs. I love the Hong Kong atmosphere the game has, and it's a pretty funny game. Just like a Grand Theft Auto with martial arts and set on the Far East.

I think it was a spiritual successor to True Crime. I was surprised by how much I liked the game, but damn does the ending get laughably bad.

Yeah, the game isn't perfect and has some problems, and the story isn't very great either. And the game does show that it was written by people in the West, with a passing knowledge of eastern culture and way of living. But I'd be lying if I told you I'm not having a lot of fun with that.

Sleeping Dogs was better than GTA IV and V.

I was a little pro at Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting when I about 15 yrs old. I once had my BMX tyres slashed for being unbeatable on one 20p credit in the local barbers, where they had the arcade cabinet. All the local best players there were trying to get me off, but they didn't manage it. I had to push my bike home, but it was worth it.

Going to the arcade and seeing a new version of Street Fighter 2 was out was always awesome.  My local arcade even got bootleg versions from time to where, where hackers had changed or added abilities and stuff.  Kept it so it was never really stale.  I remember the first time going into an arcade and they had a Mortal Kombat machine, after I had read about it in a magazine, and being blown away

I really enjoyed these games, but I was never really great at them.

Yeah I really got into the first Mortal Kombat at the arcade too, and was good at it. Played a lot of its [superior] first sequel as well, but that was on the SNES at my mates house.

But SFII was my bread n butter. I lived and breathed that game throughout my early teens. At one time my bedroom was plastered in posters of the game. Ken and Ryu were my main characters, but I had an intimate knowledge of all of them, up to the Championship Edition, where you could also play as one of the four bosses (they weren't selectable in the original World Warrior edition of the game). I remember the hacked versions too.

I eventually fell out of love with the franchise when they introduced new characters to the roster, Cammy and Dee Jay etc. The purity of the gameplay mechanics were gradually watered down and I just sort of grew out of it. 

I don't play fighting games anymore either, and have no interest in the genre.

With that said, do you remember the reboot in the Xbox 360 era? That game was a little bit of a resurgence for me, it was a great game (and the first time I had ever been able to take opponents on in the online arena). I'd win many bouts, but would occasionally have my arse handed to me. It was humbling. But that was the last time I played a Street Fighter title. 

22 hours ago, Jay said:

I really liked it a lot.  I think it had better emotional payoffs than the main game, and the new addition to the combat was really fun.

Both games combined to leave me a bit weary of bleak games where you shoot everyone in the face, so I was happy to mix in some Shantae towards the end and then play Journey and then start Life Is Strange as my next PS4 games.  After those and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn, though, I'm looking forward to starting the Uncharted series, and very much looking forward to TLOU2 when it hits $20

I dunno, I think the main game has one of the best pay offs ever and I’m certainly not alone in thinking that but Left Behind feels like it’s an essential part of the game too. It gives context to Ellie’s “I’ve lost people too” like in the abandoned Ranch in Jackson after she runs away and it’s cool to see her survive and look after Joel when he gets injured. I think it sets up the second game nicely! 

but yeah, it definitely sounds like you need to wait a bit before playing Part II. Cost reasons aside it’s even more bleak than the first!!

It took me a loooooong time to get into HZD. Too long, and the dialogue is hilariously bad. Like it’s almost as if it was written in a different language and then just translated into English but the gameplay is great and once the storyline kicks off it’s very interesting. I don’t think it deserves some of the high praise it’s gotten but it’s definitely worth the €20 I paid. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

With that said, do you remember the reboot in the Xbox 360 era? That game was a little bit of a resurgence for me, it was a great game (and the first time I had ever been able to take opponents on in the online arena). I'd win many bouts, but would occasionally have my arse handed to me. It was humbling. But that was the last time I played a Street Fighter title. 

I sort of have been paying attention to what they've been doing with the Street Fighter and MK franchise over the subequent years since I last played them, checked out a couple youtube videos of some game play, they get talked about on podcasts I listen to, etc.  But I don't come close to wanting to grab any of them, especially not when I already have a 100+ game backlog of stuff that interests me more...

31 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I dunno, I think the main game has one of the best pay offs ever and I’m certainly not alone in thinking that

Well, that's very true indeed.  It's really not until the final seconds of the entire game that the real gut punch happens though, and it certainly is something I'll never forget.  Even still, the arcade game moment in Left Behind and just the relationship between Ellie and Riley in general was really well done, superbly handled.  Joel and Ellie's relationship was done well too, but it was also stretched over a 20 hour game with lots of repetitive moments of Ellie trying to connect to him and him just being gruff, while all of Ellie and Riley was handled in like 2 hours and hit different beats every time.

but Left Behind feels like it’s an essential part of the game too. It gives context to Ellie’s “I’ve lost people too” like in the abandoned Ranch in Jackson after she runs away and it’s cool to see her survive and look after Joel when he gets injured. I think it sets up the second game nicely! 

Yea I'd consider it essential for sure.  Really fills in some narrative gaps.  I think if I ever played through these games again, I'll probably play Left Behind after the rebar sequence of the main game, before resuming with her hunting the deer.

but yeah, it definitely sounds like you need to wait a bit before playing Part II. Cost reasons aside it’s even more bleak than the first!!

Yea, I've been attempting to avoid spoilers but have certainly picked up on the general response the game has gotten and bleak is constantly mentioned for sure.

It took me a loooooong time to get into HZD. Too long, and the dialogue is hilariously bad. Like it’s almost as if it was written in a different language and then just translated into English but the gameplay is great and once the storyline kicks off it’s very interesting. I don’t think it deserves some of the high praise it’s gotten but it’s definitely worth the €20 I paid. 

I actually got it for free as a Christmas present from my mother in law, not that that really makes me think of it too differently than any other game on my shelf... but I am really drawn into its aesthetic and what I've seen of the gameplay, and all the talk about the lore's reveal being incredible has me very intrigued.  Clunky dialogue is something I almost expect out of every video game that exists so that's really no bother for me. 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I sort of have been paying attention to what they've been doing with the Street Fighter and MK franchise over the subequent years since I last played them, checked out a couple youtube videos of some game play, they get talked about on podcasts I listen to, etc.  But I don't come close to wanting to grab any of them, especially not when I already have a 100+ game backlog of stuff that interests me more...

Well, that's very true indeed.  It's really not until the final seconds of the entire game that the real gut punch happens though, and it certainly is something I'll never forget.  Even still, the video game moment in Left Behind and just the relationship between Ellie and Riley in general was really well done, superbly handled.  Joel and Ellie's relationship was done well too, but it was also stretched over a 20 hour game with lots of repetitive moments of Ellie trying to connect to him and him just being gruff, while all of Ellie and Riley was handled in like 2 hours and hit different beats every time.

Yea I'd consider it essential for sure.  Really fills in some narrative gaps.  I think if I ever played through these games again, I'll probably play Left Behind after the rebar sequence of the main game, before resuming with her hunting the deer.

Yea, I've been attempting to avoid spoilers but have certainly picked up on the general response the game has gotten and bleak is constantly mentioned for sure.

I actually got it for free as a Christmas present from my mother in law, not that that really makes me think of it too differently than any other game on my shelf... but I am really drawn into its aesthetic and what I've seen of the gameplay, and all the talk about the lore's reveal being incredible has me very intrigued.  Clunky dialogue is something I almost expect out of every video game that exists so that's really no bother for me. 

I definitely enjoyed HZD enough to get the sequel next year. Aloy is a great character 

Rare is a video game that doesn't have rubbish dialogue. It's a given. Even the ones that are considered well written are still leagues behind the kind of writing sophistication we find in our favourite films and TV.

Games will always lead with their gameplay. In that regard, Horizon: ZD is highly polished; controlling the main character feels enjoyable and engaging. It has a gameplay loop which is derivative of other games before it, but Guerrilla hone these tried and trusted mechanics and make a compelling experience which stands out in its own right. When it all comes packaged with a really terrific sci-fi storyline (and it genuinely is engrossing as it unfolds, the endgame reveals paying off satisfyingly); some of the less successful aspects, such as rote sidequests and cheesy dialogue, are rather easy to forgive. Greater than the sum of its parts, as they say.

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Rare is a video game that doesn't have rubbish dialogue. It's a given. Even the ones that are considered well written are still leagues behind the kind of writing sophistication we find in our favourite films and TV.

Games will always lead with their gameplay. 

Completely agree!

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

In that regard, Horizon: ZD is highly polished; controlling the main character feels enjoyable and engaging. It has a gameplay loop which is derivative of other games before it, but Guerrilla hone these tried and trusted mechanics and make a compelling experience which stands out in its own right. When it all comes packaged with a really terrific sci-fi storyline (and it genuinely is engrossing as it unfolds, the endgame reveals paying off satisfyingly); some of the less successful aspects, such as rote sidequests and cheesy dialogue, are rather easy to forgive. Greater than the sum of its parts, as they say.

Exactly the takeaway I took from researching a bit.  I intend on skipping the majority of the sidequests and just focusing on the main story, seems to be the best way to appreciate the best of what they've done here