What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Interesting, hadn't heard of that one; Looks similar to Alien Isolation, which I've picked up

It does look similar on the surface. But I guarantee you have never experienced a linear storyline quite like the one presented in SOMA. It's the only game I've played which evokes existential thoughts in the player, and makes ideas fire through one's mind in bed afterwards. I think the trailers mainly concentrated on the horror/suspense aspect, which was definitely ill thought out; there is sooooo much more to the game than creepy scares - the devs even re-released the game a couple of years later with a new difficulty setting which radically toned down the player danger in the more stalky sections of the game. They recognised that it was the story which was driving the very strong word of mouth, and they rightly acted on it. I played it the original way btw (it's perfectly doable and enjoyable, a couple of minor annoyances accepted).

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

It does look similar on the surface. But I guarantee you have never experienced a linear storyline quite like the one presented in SOMA. It's the only game I've played which evokes existential thoughts in the player, and makes ideas fire through one's mind in bed afterwards. I think the trailers mainly concentrated on the horror/suspense aspect, which was definitely ill thought out; there is sooooo much more to the game than creepy scares - the devs even re-released the game a couple of years later with a new difficulty setting which radically toned down the player danger in the more stalky sections of the game. They recognised that it was the story which was driving the very strong word of mouth, and they rightly acted on it. I played it the original way btw (it's perfectly doable and enjoyable, a couple of minor annoyances accepted).

Is the game really that strong? I honestly don’t remember there even being any dialogue. I played for a couple hours, got tired of the run and hide mechanic and BioShock inspired environments and stopped playing. 

I remember you mentioning you played the beginning and was distracted by something else, that you didn't particularly enjoy what you had played up until that point. I nearly didn't get into it myself either, but then something happens in the game which really pulled me in. I also think headphones are nigh on essential for SOMA, especially in the witheringly realistic later stages of the story. I felt utterly transported. Still one of the best games I've ever played, at least in the modern era.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Is the game really that strong?  

Read the Steam reviews.

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've often wondered if:

Spoiler

It would one day be possible to transfer a human consciousness without it being a new copy i.e. like in the game, multiple copies are made therefore the minds transferred into the satellite afterlife are not the same as the original.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Is the game really that strong? I honestly don’t remember there even being any dialogue. I played for a couple hours, got tired of the run and hide mechanic and BioShock inspired environments and stopped playing. 

Most of the meaningful interaction is through the dialogue of the characters you encounter throughout the game!

Depends on the game. I found Journey to be an incredibly profound experience, and there isn’t a word of dialogue. 

I definitely didn’t invest enough time to judge SOMA fairly. I only remember a little of what I played. Quint generally has a similar taste in game, I find, so I trust his judgement. 

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I found Journey to be an incredibly profound experience, and there isn’t a word of dialogue. 

Seemed artsy fartsy to me. Played it and immediately forgot about it.

If you want something artsy fartsy but good, then play Shadow of the Colossus re-mastered

And the only game I liked without enemies is Yonder, the Cloud Catcher Chronicles

Shadow of the Colossus... I still haven't finished that game. I think I've got about 6 more encounters to get through, but it is a chore. I know this is supposed to be a beloved game (it does have its moments), but I find its travel/boss fight/travel gameplay loop to be decidedly languid, it doesn't really hold my attention. I can certainly see how its epic confrontations would have impressed in the original version of the game, though (in a time just prior to God of War).

Ghost of Tsushima is out Friday. Reviews are good, I expected Assassin's Creed: Japan and it seems that’s what it is. Should be a bit of fun!

Without the Ubisoft bloat of course ;)

I tried to go back to Red Dead Redemption 2 and just couldn’t. The control scheme and lack of fast travel instantly put me off again.

So now I’m doing a 100% run of The Last Of Us Part II so I can clear up 100GB on my hard drive. 

On 7/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, Koray Savas said:

Depends on the game. I found Journey to be an incredibly profound experience, and there isn’t a word of dialogue. 

It has recently been released on the PC. Does it play well without a gamepad?

19 minutes ago, Romão said:

It has recently been released on the PC. Does it play well without a gamepad?

I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t. It’s a simple platformer, with I think about only three buttons to use. Jump, move, and “sing” musical notes to interact with the environment. 

It’s only a 3-4 hour time investment. 

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t. It’s a simple platformer, with I think about only three buttons to use. Jump, move, and “sing” musical notes to interact with the environment. 

It's not that difficult, either. I once got in argument with an old roommate 'cause when he got to the credits he anf his girlfriend just started chatting about whatever and I was like "Yo, pay attention!" He got pissed at me because he thought the credits were just there to be something pretty to look at while the names were on the screen.

Makin' my way through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's not that difficult, either. I once got in argument with an old roommate 'cause when he got to the credits he anf his girlfriend just started chatting about whatever and I was like "Yo, pay attention!" He got pissed at me because he thought the credits were just there to be something pretty to look at while the names were on the screen.

I can’t understand how someone can finish that game and be so casual about it. I had tears welling up lol. Needed time to sit quietly and reflect on the experience. Wintory’s score is magical. 

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I tried to go back to Red Dead Redemption 2 and just couldn’t. The control scheme and lack of fast travel instantly put me off again.

So now I’m doing a 100% run of The Last Of Us Part II so I can clear up 100GB on my hard drive. 

Yes, without the grinding bloat! (I have pre-ordered Valhalla though) 

Ghost was supposed to be delivered tomorrow but amazon still hasn’t shipped it when I woke up this morning so I cancelled my order and I will get it from Gamestop in a week or two. I’ve a stack of other games to play as it is anyway.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The game has fast travel and there are many sliders which help hone the controls (I tweaked them to a point that I was quite happy with it). But Rockstar are absolutely terrible at controls and always have been.

To me, the lasting memory of RDR2 was its absolutely magnificent world. The story itself was in the end pretty shit.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's been on my radar for years, but it's now finally available on steam. It will be the next game I play.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The game has fast travel and there are many sliders which help hone the controls (I tweaked them to a point that I was quite happy with it). But Rockstar are absolutely terrible at controls and always have been.

To me, the lasting memory of RDR2 was its absolutely magnificent world. The story itself was in the end pretty shit.

I’m surprised to hear you say that. Everyone praises the narrative. The game is super impressive to me technically, but for some reason I can’t get into a groove with the gameplay loop. Something as monotonous as Fallout 76 holds my attention more.

I know there is technically fast travel, but not in the traditional sense. The game doesn’t let you beeline the main story, which is what I want to do. I booted up the game and found myself somewhere off in the wilderness on the other side of the map of my next mission. I didn’t feel like riding all the way to the marker at that specific moment. 

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone here will get Ghost of Tsushima?

On 7/15/2020 at 7:34 AM, Bilbo said:

Ghost of Tsushima is out Friday. Reviews are good, I expected Assassin's Creed: Japan and it seems that’s what it is. Should be a bit of fun!

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I think I’m on someone’s ignore list 😂

Sorry :(, I haven't put anyone on the ignore list, it's just that sometimes I go straight to the last post without reading the last few posts on a thread.

Anyone else disappointed that the Assassin's Creed series has abandoned the overall mystique of the modern-day story, along with Desmond from the first few games? It's like Ubisoft cut out the juicy stuff and thought players were only interested in playing through the historical scenarios and settings. To me, that modern-day storyline was half of what made the AC series enjoyable, with Desmond's team etc. 

It's the other way around for me. I couldn't care less about the modern day stuff, it ruined the sense of immersion in the more recent games and I lost all interest in Desmond's story after Brotherhood (which was a great game for both its historical and sci-fi storylines).

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Anyone else disappointed that the Assassin's Creed series has abandoned the overall mystique of the modern-day story, along with Desmond from the first few games? It's like Ubisoft cut out the juicy stuff and thought players were only interested in playing through the historical scenarios and settings. To me, that modern-day storyline was half of what made the AC series enjoyable, with Desmond's team etc. 

I hate the modern day stuff. I want the historical stuff only. The modern day stuff always felt like filler and tacked on as a unique selling point. I think you’re the first person I’ve met who actually likes it!

Yeah it's always just an obtrusive chore that yanks you out of the interesting stuff. One thing it helps with is that they can explain away any glitches or lack of features as "oh it's a bug in the Animus" or "oh Abstergo haven't implemented swimming into their version because it's irrelevant".

Valhalla looks cool. I would love to see them follow it up with an Irish set companion but that’s probably a pipe dream 

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I hate the modern day stuff. I want the historical stuff only. The modern day stuff always felt like filler and tacked on as a unique selling point. I think you’re the first person I’ve met who actually likes it!

It was a major part of the story in those early games, with mysteries within the animus and from without. I guess people just want Historical games...

It didn’t help that the modern day plot line was convoluted just for the sake of it. They had to keep making up stuff to justify churning out a game every year. I don’t expect it’ll ever actually conclude. 

Red Dead 2: Redemption

So far, it looks pretty but the gameplay is clunky and unsatisfying.  Rockstar's control scheme, combat and mission design are terribly dated.  The overly realistic gunplay has no visceral feedback and feels like shooting in the dark most of the time.

Dragon's Dogma

The lore/story/general design are pretty minimal/bland and there are a lot of stupid gameplay feautures (pawns) but it's still oddly engrossing.

This is thanks in no small part to the fluid controls/graphics and a dynamic combat system with a satisfying sense of progression.  (especially after playing Red Dead 2)

21 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Dragon's Dogma

The lore/story/general design are pretty minimal/bland and there are a lot of stupid gameplay feautures (pawns) but it's still oddly engrossing.

This is thanks in no small part to the fluid controls/graphics and a dynamic combat system with a satisfying sense of progression.  (especially after playing Red Dead 2)

one of my favorite PS4 games. It's awesome and gets even more awesome the further you get in the game and Post-Game  . There was nothing like firing a tornado with my mage .I hope you have the Dark Arisen dungeon, that was one of the coolest thing I ever played

EA Hints At Buying WB Games For Titles Like ‘Batman’ And ‘Mortal Kombat’

A recent investor’s call saw the EA CFO hint at being interested in acquiring WB Games, which would give them rights to Batman, Mortal Kombat and more.

After the news broke in June that AT&T is reportedly interested in selling WB Games to other companies, a recent EA investor’s call seems to imply it’s looking at acquiring the division from AT&T. Fans are still eagerly waiting to hear more about the next Batman: Arkham game, but if EA gets its hands on WB Games they’ll also acquire studios like Rocksteady, NetherRealm Studios, Warner Bros. Montreal and TT Games. This would also give EA access to Mortal Kombat through NetherRealm Studios, as well as other IP owned by Warner Bros. like Game of Thrones and Harry Potter.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen teased the company’s interest in buying WB Games during a recent investors call, explaining they’re always looking into acquiring more studios and IP, explaining they’re “more interested than ever.” Obviously this could mean they’re eyeing up other smaller studios to buy, but since WB Games seems up for sale, it seems likely they’re carefully analyzing whether it’ll be a good investment. Jorgensen didn’t go into specifics, but did mention that EA “take a look at almost everything.”

“We’re always looking at that. We’ll always continue to look at that. We hope we can find more. It might take some time, but trust that we’re more interested than ever, because we see that talent and building great new franchises is critical to the long-term business.”

Do you think EA should buy WB Games for titles like Batman and Mortal Kombat? Sound-off in the comments below!

https://heroichollywood.com/ea-wb-games-batman-mortal-kombat/

EA will own the rights for DC and Star Wars if that happens.

Journey on Steam

Journey

Well that was... I dunno!  Parts of this game were incredibly frustrating, where I just wandered around with no idea what to do.  And to make matters worse, the quasi-co-op feature sometimes led to someone else solving the puzzle for me, so I was left with no idea how I was supposed to progress through the area.  That's kinda weird.

But then other parts... were utterly sublime.  Sliding through the sand... the misty caves.... flying... so many unforgettable experiences, especially because of the music.  Without Austin Wintory's terrific score, this game doesn't have nearly the impact it would otherwise.  Especially with no dialogue and a barely perceptible storyline, it's the combination of figuring something out and getting to a new area, getting to do something cool there, while amazing music soars along with you that makes the game a worthwhile experience.

I can't say I understand the story at all, something about a civilization that expanded, split in 2, attacked each other, and collapsed, and you are there to explore it, but then you loop back to the beginning at the end so... wtf?

Luckily the game is so short the pros outweigh the cons.  Sony gave this game away for free when the Pandemic started, and it looked great on my TV and was a overall fun experience.

Total play time: I think 3-4 hours?  I wish the PS4 would tell me these things.