What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I'm pretty far into Sekiro now. I didn't have as much problem with the further bosses but they were still hard, but 4-5 attempts  not 50. Some were more Dark Souls like, and since there's no stamina bar in this game maybe a bit easier than in  those games.

Ghost Of Tsushima

I knocked this one out very quickly. It launched right when I had a week off from work, and so I played it almost non-stop to 100% completion during that time. While I think it's a fairly pedestrian game overall, it has a satisfying gameplay loop that kept me really engaged throughout. The dialogue and voice acting are poor, the story is relatively uninteresting, yet I found the open world perfectly manageable and fun to explore. The art direction is gorgeous; and I really enjoyed the music by Ilan Eshkeri and Shigeru Umebayashi. Combat is fun but still provides some challenge, with the duels really standing out. I wish the Soulsborne games were more accessible like this.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

After Ghost Of Tsushima, I tried to go back and finish my second run of The Last Of Us Part II. I lost interest after an hour or two of playing, but still had that itch for a Naughty Dog game, so I decided to do a speed run of Uncharted 4. Beating the game in under 6 hours was the only trophy that I needed to platinum the game back from 2016. I wish I didn't have to skip the cutscenes because this is just a fantastic action adventure game all the way through, and I would have liked to revisit it more traditionally. I remember at the time it launched, that I thought it went a little long, but after the extremely bloated Last Of Us sequel, this felt like a breeze. Awesome story, voice acting, art direction, and gameplay. The set pieces still hold up, and while Drake's Deception is still my favorite Uncharted, this game is a very close second.

Jak 3

So after Uncharted 4, I wanted to play something fairly simple and bite-sized, but decided to keep the Naughty Dog train rolling. I booted up the PS4 port of Jak 3, as it was the only one in the franchise I had yet to play. Man how games have changed! I gave it a generous 10 hours or so of gameplay before moving on to something else. It was frustrating to control, story was boring and nonsensical, and generally just didn't have a good time with it. Which is odd considering I recall enjoying Jak II quite a bit. This one did not age well.

Déraciné

After losing interest in Jak, I decided to dust off the PS VR and play this From Software exclusive title. A bizarre game about a 'family' living in a boarding school during a fictional ancient time. You control a faerie that can manipulate their world and traverse time, and discover that their lives were forever altered by the presence of an evil faerie. It's a pretty limited game in terms of engagement. It's more a point-and-click style adventure game than anything else. The assets are all straight out of the Soulsborne games, so it has a very familiar feel to everything. I enjoyed the art direction and exploring the environments in VR, but otherwise not that special. A quick 2-hours.

Life Is Strange 2

I played Episode 1 of this game back when it launched last year, but lost interest and moved on to something else. I decided to go back and finish it. It pales in comparison to the original game, as well as the spin-off Before The Storm. Annoying protagonists, and a story that seems to be written solely to push a leftist agenda. You play as biracial Hispanic brothers on the run after their father is killed by a police officer after being racially profiled. You discover that your child brother has telekinetic powers, and he kills the officer in his grief and rage. So now you're on the run to try and get to Mexico to escape the law and live in your father's hometown. Which is a fine premise in and of itself, but nearly every character you run into along the way is a white male Trump-supporting bigot hellbent on killing you for being a Mexican. It makes zero sense and does nothing to really serve the story.

Red Dead Revolver

I played a few hours of this PS2 gem from 2004. It still holds up incredibly well today as a PS4 port; and was instrumental to me as a 14-year old in discovering Italian cinema and film scores. The soundtrack is curated from the likes of Morricone, Nicolai, Bacalov, De Masi, Cipriani, and others from the best Spaghetti Westerns out there. It holds nothing back in its pastiche of Leone and I love every minute of it.

Resident Evil 3 (2020)

I managed to beat this one across two sittings yesterday, as it's a very brisk 4-5 hour game that can apparently be beaten in an hour if you know what to do and where to go. I remember very little of the original PSone game, and made the weird choice to start with this one as I have yet to play Resident Evil 2 remake or Resident Evil 7. It was okay. It has the facade of a AAA aesthetic, but it's very AA or even A in its execution. Which is completely fine. I enjoyed my time with it, despite the dialogue and voice acting sounding like it was written and recorded in 1999 like the original game. Jill's redesign takes heavy inspiration from the Tomb Raider reboots, but still keeps a little too much of that old school video game "sexy" character design for my liking. Not to mention the awkward flirting between her and Carlos amidst a zombie apocalypse. If you want a tacky horror thriller that's quick and easy, this is it.

Yea I looked up everything Life Is Strange after I played and beat the first game, and Before The Storm looks good but man I didn't read hardly anything good about LIS 2.  I'm glad I didn't buy it!

BTS is nothing great. I haven't looked much into 2 either but from what I did read the teaser episode "Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit" may be better than the actual game.

I don't know if I'll be able to finish Sekiro. I know a 4 phase boss that requires no mistakes awaits me at the end and I've already pushed the limit of what I'm able to do in gaming. I can't even kill  regular enemies in the last part of the game. I have about 3-4 bosses left but it's become next to impossible.

i'm not sure what From software was thinking. It's seriously undermining all the respect I had for them and the Dark Souls series and I'm not sure I'm looking forward to their next Souls game anymore it they make it unplayable except for the most elite of the twitch gamers.

It's like 10X harder than the final Valkyrie Sigrun  in God of War and required to beat the game not an optional side boss.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Sounds great Nick, can't wait to play it. What system did you play it on? 

I played it on PC, but in response to a post you made about a week ago, I too have seen articles saying that the Switch is the best console port. Apparently they did a bit of give and take, and in reducing some graphical features present in the other ports, they actually boosted some other elements that resulted in an overall better looking game.

Yea I'm sure the PC version is still the best of all

I own it on PS4, but after seeing those videos I might wait for a Switch sale

So I just got an HP Omen, not necessarily for gaming per se, but I needed a fast machine for working from home, and this beaut sports a great graphics card for Adobe Creative suite stuff.

But since I now have a gaming computer, anyone got any PC game recommendations? I haven't done this since the old Half-Life days.

Spelunky is a 'roguelike' platformer (randomly generated levels within the same worlds) that's very difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, is super rewarding. Completely inspired by all the classics, and extremely well polished.  If you don't care for platformers, don't bother.

Hotline Miami is a top-down shooter with graphics similar to the ORIGINAL GTA series.  Set in Miami in the 80s.  It's a game that rewards different methods of playing.  You can either be stealthy or play completely chaotic, it's up to you.  Very violent, but in a pixel-art way, with an amazing soundtrack.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

How does it hold up?

Those LucasArts point & click games are timeless + the 3 different paths you can eventually choose (Team, Wits or Fighting).  I love it.

yesss, that title screeeeeeen.

free pizza and vhs tapes:

3 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

So I just got an HP Omen, not necessarily for gaming per se, but I needed a fast machine for working from home, and this beaut sports a great graphics card for Adobe Creative suite stuff.

But since I now have a gaming computer, anyone got any PC game recommendations? I haven't done this since the old Half-Life days.

Portal 1 & 2. They're dirt cheap too.

Not that you're interested, but I recently finished upgrading my own PC. I've had an old desktop tower for ten years, but I neglected it when I got into PS4. So I've basically kept the original case but stuck a new motherboard inside it and I've attached a really fast Ryzen 3300X CPU, some new DDR4 ram and a new Nvidia gfx card. And now it'll run anything at max settings. 

Trouble is, I'm not really into gaming at the moment. But building a PC was great! I like to fiddle with components more than I actually use them, and making a desktop computer is essentially Lego for dads.

I have not built a new desktop for myself since Fallout 3 was new for PC. 

I need to soon, though. I am working to convert all my DVDs and blurays to MKV for network streaming. My current i7 is not fast enough to convert the video files without significant quality loss. A new high end dedicated rig would fix that. For now, my maxed out gaming laptop is the workhorse. 

Heh, I last built a PC to be good enough for Doom 3, which I never even bought or played!

Luckily my work provides me with a laptop that I use for all my personal computer-y things these days, though I've done all my gaming on consoles for a good while.

Been thinking about getting back into some PC gaming though

The thing about PC gaming these days is that you don't really need to ever spend a penny to build up a sizeable library of very good, very well reviewed games. When you have the now numerous online storefronts literally giving away titles every month, it gets quite absurd just how large one's free library soon becomes. Just this week the Epic Store's free game is Soulslike Remnant: From the Ashes - a well received release which is merely months old. Before that I was given Subnautica, GTA V, Journey to the Savage Planet, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Kingdom Come Deliverance. It's ridiculous! And that's just one store's worth of freebies (plus many more I didn't list). My Steam library is massive, and some of these titles I paid pennies for.

More and more I'm struggling to justify the upcoming cost of a PS5, along with its monthly (and pricey) PSN sub. Especially when I already play my PC content with my preferred input method of choice - my trusty old Xbox 360 pad, which just automatically works with everything nowadays.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

More and more I'm struggling to justify the upcoming cost of a PS5, along with its monthly (and pricey) PSN sub. Especially when I already play my PC content with my preferred input method of choice - my trusty old Xbox 360 pad, which just automatically works with everything nowadays.

Not sure if it was just your choice of words, but subscribing to PS+ on a monthly basis is more expensive than the annual subscription. It’s also routinely $45 for a year during the holidays. I don’t find that expensive at all, considering the free games and discounts that come along with a subscription. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The thing about PC gaming these days is that you don't really need to ever spend a penny to build up a sizeable library of very good, very well reviewed games. When you have the now numerous online storefronts literally giving away titles every month, it gets quite absurd just how large one's free library soon becomes. Just this week the Epic Store's free game is Soulslike Remnant: From the Ashes - a well received release which is merely months old. Before that I was given Subnautica, GTA V, Journey to the Savage Planet, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Kingdom Come Deliverance. It's ridiculous! And that's just one store's worth of freebies (plus many more I didn't list). My Steam library is massive, and some of these titles I paid pennies for.

Same! While it's nice to know that the game is already well-optimized for your machine, what I've discovered recently with modern games such as the Resident Evil 2 remake is that even on low-to-mid settings, they tend to look and perform on par with their console counterparts. Throw in all these freebies--I now own two Total War games that I didn't pay a cent for--and consistently cheap deals--I got the entire Deus Ex series last month for $10USD, all expansions and DLC included--it's hard to argue with.

Exactly! By backlog is so enormous I'm sure not knowing where to start is contributing to my general feeling of being put off from playing anything at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Not sure if it was just your choice of words, but subscribing to PS+ on a monthly basis is more expensive than the annual subscription. It’s also routinely $45 for a year during the holidays. I don’t find that expensive at all, considering the free games and discounts that come along with a subscription. 

Yeah I don't know why I said monthly. I bought my current annual subscription in the PSN sale, where I saved about a tenner on the normal price. But I always resent it - since I must probably play less than ten percent of the included two "free" games which Sony wheels out every month. Essentially, we are charged a premium for playing online multiplayer - a universal privilege which has always been completely free to do on PC. It has forever bugged me about the online enabled consoles. In this era of F2P popularity, Sony and MS should at least now offer a tiered sub model; one including the perks and another purely for multiplayer access only. After all, players of the massively popular Fortnight and CoD: Warzone aren't required to pay a thing in order to enjoy those experiences.

I've just spent the evening playing Microsoft Flight Simulator and I have to say, it's been a blast. What a stunning work of art Asobo Studios have created. I am so glad that MS have returned to the series, and I can't wait to see where they're headed with this.

Might try flying over JW's house tomorrow...

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I don't know why I said monthly. I bought my current annual subscription in the PSN sale, where I saved about a tenner on the normal price. But I always resent it - since I must probably play less than ten percent of the included two "free" games which Sony wheels out every month. Essentially, we are charged a premium for playing online multiplayer - a universal privilege which has always been completely free to do on PC. It has forever bugged me about the online enabled consoles. In this era of F2P popularity, Sony and MS should at least now offer a tiered sub model; one including the perks and another purely for multiplayer access only. After all, players of the massively popular Fortnight and CoD: Warzone aren't required to pay a thing in order to enjoy those experiences.

That would be a good option. I feel like Sony has to do something with PS5 to compete with Game Pass’ insane value.  But the Halo delay just killed any reason to buy an Xbox at launch, so Sony might feel confident to just keep things trucking along as they are. 

I got lot of the free PS+ games . When the subscription went on sale on Black Friday I bought a bunch of cards and stacked years until 2025.

i still buy a few games especially the ones I want when they go on sale 50-70% off. Most of what I play is free and borrowed from the library , like Sekiro right now. Only I have to finish it in 3 weeks because someone reserved it after me. I'll have The Outer Worlds soon

Inching close to final boss and for the first time I have doubts I can complete a game. 4 phases and apparently like fighting Sigrun (final Valkyrie) on Give Me God of War difficulty

OK final boss Sekiro. I have 6 days to beat it. 

Koray I understand why you quit this game.  I didn't like it very much as it's difficult to the point of not being enjoyable. I hope From  Software tones it down for Elden Ring

23 hours ago, King Mark said:

OK final boss Sekiro. I have 6 days to beat it. 

Koray I understand why you quit this game.  I didn't like it very much as it's difficult to the point of not being enjoyable. I hope From  Software tones it down for Elden Ring

I've seen my brother beating the final boss, and honestly I don't know how he made it (of course, it took him a long time). It has 4 phases, and if you die you restart on phase 1 again, which I thought it was just mean. 

I spent 5 hours on final boss so far and made it to phase 3 a few times then he wrecks me. I even tried the "cheese" method on You Tube and it got me killed even faster . I don't think I can beat it. It's pretty bad they made a game only a few people can finish and it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth for a long time. It's not the matter of distinguishing "casuals" from the "git gud" people , I've played games on console for the past 15 years and never encountered something like this

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I've seen my brother beating the final boss, and honestly I don't know how he made it (of course, it took him a long time). It has 4 phases, and if you die you restart on phase 1 again, which I thought it was just mean. 

On 8/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, Quintus said:

How come you've agonisingly brute forced your way through the thing if you don't actually like it? 

The rest of the game is interesting enough apart from the boss fights.The final boss makes me feel like I never learned the game properly and just luckily won all the previous boss fights. Like a punishment for making it all the way to the end but not playing flawlessly all the way through (beating the previous bosses without taking a hit) .

I did win fairly though but this is just 10X harder than anything else in the game.Like a gigantic fuck you for playing the game. It's like other games hardest bosses on "nightmare" difficulty and I never played anything beyond "normal" or "hard".  Or the hardest of hardest the Post Game stuff but they decided to roadblock the ending of the game instead so you never get to the Credits and say you finished it. From what I read about 10% of the people who own the game beat it

also, it seems that From patches the game to defeat the cheese strategies on YouTube

Almost made to 4th phase using the guide . Now I usually die because of a technical issue like losing the camera lock on and being  disoriented long enough for the boss to one shot me

This talk of boss encounter phases really does bring back memories of Destiny raid groups. You know how you're saying everything has to be done absolutely pin point perfect in order to get from one phase to the next; well imagine that same requirement applying to SIX players all at once - if one person makes even the slightest error then it's the end of the run and a "wipe" is caused (everyone dies and restarts from the beginning). Such is the initially off-putting difficulty it can feel genuinely insurmountable. But many hours and near endless wells of patience later, the group will be making inroads. A couple of days later, eventually everyone will execute their designated roles literally perfectly, and the boss will go down, the sweet loot fountaining out of his fallen body. The thrill and the camaraderie upon such an achievement is immense, it is the most powerful sense of triumph and relief I've felt in all of gaming. But it can be an absolute nightmare getting there, and I just think life's too short now. I don't play Destiny anymore. 

I beat Sekiro final boss...4 attempts after I installed a brand new controller over my 3 year old one.  I still used a You Tube strategy though .Game overall NOT recommended even if you like Dark Souls..it's just too tedious.

now fuck this game...I'll go get Outer Worlds tomorrow

i dunno about Destiny, but waiting for 6 people to get their shit together seems to take a lot of patience

It takes the kind of patience I never knew I had. In fact it helps build patience. Of course, there's also plenty of banter and laughs along the way, which keeps it light and enjoyable, for the most part. 

Here's the game trailers from DC Fandome yesterday:

This one seems cool!

And this one... A Suicide Squad game, really? Rocksteady could've done so much more, like a Superman or a proper Justice League game. But this SS game seems decent at least:

I played the demo of that on PS4 and enjoyed the speed and chaotic nature, but it was kinda boring when you've killed everything and had no idea where to go and had to wander around to find some corridor entrance you missed.  I might give it another chance some day