What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I played the demo of that on PS4 and enjoyed the speed and chaotic nature, but it was kinda boring when you've killed everything and had no idea where to go and had to wander around to find some corridor entrance you missed.  

That was my biggest problem with it.  That and the floaty movement + platforming

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Halo either then? 

Not a huge fan, though I haven't played much of it.  Only a bit of Halo 1 on pc recently and a little of Halo 3 a decade ago

Some pics I took while playing Ghost of Tsushima.

It's one of my favorite gaming experiences from this year. The game is pretty much flawless, except for the music, which is just okay. Considering all the talent involved, I'd expected a better, more "showy" score.

Ghost of Tsushima_20200726191443.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima_20200806193733.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima_20200808235249.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima_20200813195328.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima_20200814230245.jpg

ghost of tsushima 1.png

Just finished Ghost of Tsushima. The art design is off the walls. So much detail, from the open world production, to the costumes, and the score/diegetic music; the last of which I've really warmed up to since I was underwhelmed by the album some time ago. There's clearly a lot of craftsmanship to this whole thing. It's just a shame that the story doesn't live up to the same standard. The characters are mostly walking clichés and the drama kind of falls flat by the end. Some of the open world activities also start to get a little repetitive, but it's still solid fun.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

:o

Did you at least like the music and Joe Pesci?

That WAS Joe Pesci?!!

He was tragically underutilized though.  He would have been a more interesting romantic lead than Reporter McReporterface

Music was a bit of a mixed bag, some good parts but some not-so-good (a note for note rip of a JNH's Batman Begins cue).  No big emotional themes or fun peppy music like I usually like for anime-style games

Plus I generally find James Bond/femme fatale antics boring 

18 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

fun peppy music like I usually like for anime-style games

https://youtu.be/6bJnukMWGe4

And of course one of my favorite arrangements of one of my favorite songs

https://youtu.be/votCEPMHm9Y

20 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Plus I generally find James Bond/femme fatale antics boring 

I love how ridiculous and sexual the game's personality is.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

https://youtu.be/6bJnukMWGe4

And of course one of my favorite arrangements of one of my favorite songs

https://youtu.be/votCEPMHm9Y

I actually hadn't heard that song before this game and thought it was an original composition.  Was a bit disappointed to find that it is was a cover but a good arrangement nonetheless

3 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I actually hadn't heard that song before this game and thought it was an original composition.  Was a bit disappointed to find that it is was a cover but a good arrangement nonetheless

I probably would have been, too, but it fits in so seamlessly with the game's sound, it's astounding to me. I meaj the practice of using a classic song as a main theme certainly has a lot of precedent in film scores...I also would get a kick out of playing this for colleagues who are only familiar with playing it Sinatra style.

I love the musical personality of the game too, very unique yet vaguely retro.

Is anyone else not even remotely interested in the new "Fall Guys" game?  It just looks like boring Mario Party minigames with a coat of pastel paint.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I probably would have been, too, but it fits in so seamlessly with the game's sound, it's astounding to me. I meaj the practice of using a classic song as a main theme certainly has a lot of precedent in film scores...I also would get a kick out of playing this for colleagues who are only familiar with playing it Sinatra style.

I love the musical personality of the game too, very unique yet vaguely retro.

Yeah, it sounds like they're singing it in that vague "half Japanese lyrics half English" way that they do for a lot of Japanese songs.

Playing Outer Worlds .Very fun, like a colorful Fallout game. 

I've been exploring every nook and cranny of the first planet for a week. not sure why people say it's a short game

On 8/29/2020 at 10:18 AM, King Mark said:

Playing Outer Worlds .Very fun, like a colorful Fallout game. 

I've been exploring every nook and cranny of the first planet for a week. not sure why people say it's a short game

A week?? I think I explored that entire first planet in a matter of hours. 

My usual RPG pace. You must have skipped over a ton of things

1st planet:20 hours

my play  times are usually twice the "average" time people finish games

Inside,' Desperately Trying to Break Out(side) | Goomba Stomp

INSIDE

Very cool side scrolling platform / puzzle solving game, I liked it a lot.  The puzzles and various mechanics you use to solve them were really thoughtful, interesting, and constantly evolving, and the art and sound design were fantastic too.  

Like Journey it tells a story without a word of dialogue (spoken or written), but unlike Journey the story is actually easy to follow and interesting, though still full of ambiguities and open to lots of different interpretations (especially the ending)

There's even a side quest you can do where you get a longer ending if you find 12 secret areas along the way; I only found 4 (well, I found 5 but only figured out how to unplug the orb in 4 of them) and am not sure if I want to start over and try to find them all.

Playdead

what do you mean by "level"?

Do you mean building #4 in its entirety?  Or literally just the last dot on the progress meter?

I thought all the parts with the underwater female creature were cool but, but I didn't quite understand why she kills you if you mess up at any point when you're in the submersible, yet later when you fall in the water she gives you the gift of breathing underwater?

I think I'll buy and play Playdead's first game - Limbo - soon, and look forward to their upcoming third game

Vanquish

Didn't really live up to the hype for me.  The campaign story was overly short and ended on a really uninteresting boss fight.  The movement mechanics were likely revolutionary at the time but Warframe offers a faster, less restrictive feeling take on the same thing (and for free!)

Hmmm playing Outer Worlds on normal difficulty and it's just too easy . I also collected hundreds of food items and medecines and never used a single one in the entire game.

I'll try to finish it on hard but not Supernova where your companions can perma death

Resident Evil 2

Both Leon’s and Claire’s A campaigns. I started to do Leon B before deciding that playing the game two more times for the real ending just wasn’t worth it. So I moved on to...

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

I don’t scare easily. I’m not afraid of movies, shows, or games generally speaking, but the hour I played of this game terrified me. I honestly don’t know if I can keep with it. Might just have to play it in 30 minute intervals or something. 

I've not really mentioned anything I've been up to in here lately, but it's because a few weeks back I finally found something which grabbed me and I've been putting a lot of effort into it, I'm pretty much addicted. State of Decay 2 came out in 2018 and was panned at the time for not only being a buggy broken mess, but probably mainly because the original indie title had garnered itself a lot of love and plaudits in 2013 for being the zombie apocalypse sim which finally nailed the fantasy (albeit quite crudely and clunkily, in a charming kind of way) of what it would be like to control and manage a ragtag band of survivors and look after their daily hardships on a Dawn of the Dead/Walking Dead inspired backdrop. The first game had a strong cult following, and I dabbled a little at the time but decided to wait for a more fleshed out and bigger budget follow-up. Yet the potential then was obvious. Microsoft was now putting money into the sequel and excited fans had been expecting the zombie sim to end them all, but alas it didn't deliver on the mouth-watering promise and the newer game was at that time deemed a failure. 

Fast-forward two years later, and as is the case with seemingly 3 in every 5 big new releases these days, the game was to continue to be worked on and supported long after the initial release window. The developer (handily named Undead Labs) stuck with it and would release numerous patches and major updates, addressing nigh on every bug and tightening and adjusting the many complex systems which govern the irresistible end of the world sandbox they have created. Positive word of mouth began to show up on the sites and communities I frequent/lurk in, YouTubers I follow began to reappraise the game, "it's good now", they said (a common phrase in gaming social media these days). So since I'd upgraded my PC and was looking for something to flex it, I decided to take a punt.

This game is f***ing badass. It's a time sink I've not experienced since my old Destiny playtimes, and I can't stop wanting role play within its world.

[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

BrAmisI.png

I really need to get to that van. It just needs to have gas...

Dayton_(State_of_Decay_2)_Screenshot_2020_09.02_-_22_41_40_65.png

Discovered a new town and abandoned the noisy vehicle before it ran dry, hope there's some people I can get with here.

qMAi6zY.png

I should reach that two-story building before nightfall.

O43xN3C.png

These guys turned out to be okay.

aOQTCIq.png

Assuming control of one of the others next morning, I run into trouble while out scavenging for resources. 

OPo4re1.png

But he had my back, thank god. DEATH IS PERMANENT IN STATE OF DECAY. You lose a survivor in the wild, and they're gone for good.

opaYlSv.png

Taking time to recover in the sanctuary of home base.

zPu0ZEo.png

There are various elements that need keeping an eye on.

bp3RCAM.png

RPG tropes govern the effectiveness of your survivors and finding the perfect grouping is endgame absorbing in of itself. But lose a survivor, and you lose all the work you put into them! Which devastating.

jqlZEK7.png

Cameron is feeling upbeat, probably because of that sweet fast-loading crossbow he just found. *Daryl Dixon fantasy activated* The loot is random and some rarer than others.

7V90uIj.png

So another night and another increasingly desperate search for dwindling ammunition reserves in a really inviting abandoned police station. That's State of Decay.

I know most of you guys here are Nintendo/PS4 players, but I highly recommend this game. It's full of player-made stories, which are sometimes the best ones, right? Not to mention the fabulously satisfying melee combat (the sheer number of bespoke killing animations in this game is unreal) and the meaty firearms feedback is goddamn cool (popping heads is panicky and delicious). Unfortunately it is too risky taking screenshots when you're close to being overwhelmed by the zombie hordes.

Look it up online, this game has turned it around and now has the following it should have done two years ago. It's basically the preeminent Walking Dead tie-in without the license as made by the only developer to ever really nail the zombie apocalypse survival sim.

Hell of a sales pitch. I've never been that interested in zombies as a trope, but I'm starting to regret not getting it when it was free on Epic some time ago, now.

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

I don’t scare easily. I’m not afraid of movies, shows, or games generally speaking, but the hour I played of this game terrified me. I honestly don’t know if I can keep with it. Might just have to play it in 30 minute intervals or something. 

Can you imagine that crap in VR? There is a progression where you start to come at terms with your situation though, and ultimately even start to get the upperhand. It's very very satisfying if you stick with it.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Can you imagine that crap in VR? There is a progression where you start to come at terms with your situation though, and ultimately even start to get the upperhand. It's very very satisfying if you stick with it.

My plan was to play it on PS VR, but decided not to give myself a heart attack. 

On 9/6/2020 at 5:31 PM, Quintus said:

I love posts like these.  You should post this on the Patient Gamers subreddit, too!

I finished The Outer Worlds (42 hours playtime) .Pretty great game with interesting story and characters but like Fallout a bit too much of your time is taken by inventory management.

I have Borderlands 3 next

The prices of the next gen Xboxes must have shaken Sony to the core. Microsoft are smashing speculation out of the window and shit has got real: you're essentially getting a thousand pound gaming PC for less than half the price. 

Over to you, Sony.