What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The prices of the next gen Xboxes must have shaken Sony to the core. Microsoft are smashing speculation out of the window and shit has got real: you're essentially getting a thousand pound gaming PC for less than half the price. 

Now all they need are console exclusives...

Is it really launching with only Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Gears Tactics as new games to play on it?

They must have been so annoyed that Halo 6 got delayed

Well to get 'em started they have all the big third parties included with their Game Pass (and now including EA's catalogue, as announced today). 

Some gamers just want to play CoD and FIFA on max settings, and aren't that bothered about you're Uncharteds and your Gods of War. 

I'm on PC mostly these days anyway, but I absolutely would like to see Sony's lead cut into in the next gen. Because competition is good. I think Sony have gotten too comfortable at the top, even if they deserved to be there this past gen, due to Microsoft's catastrophic mistakes at the start of it. 

The current gen is funny because PS4 has the better games and Xbox One has the better console (better controller/battery that lasts longer than 30 minutes, no jet engine fan noises, better backwards compatibility, better box, 4k Blu Ray player).

I'm curious to see if Sony will be motivated to fix the last console's problems or if they'll retain the same course

It sounds like you are describing the launch version of the PS4.

I have the PS4 Slim and have never heard the fans turn on, and my controller lasts way longer than 30 minutes, that's a rididulous claim.  I played Last of Us for 5 hours straight one night I thought the battery meter dropped like one dot

It is too bad I can't play 4K Ultra HD BDs in it, though, but I guess they would have had to have installed a different laser and increased the price to make that happen

I have a second generation PS4 Pro and I have to have a 15m HDMI feed from the adjacent room to the living room TV due to its obscene fan noise. It's an absolute joke of device in that regard. 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

It sounds like you are describing the launch version of the PS4.

I have the PS4 Slim and have never heard the fans turn on, and my controller lasts way longer than 30 minutes, that's a rididulous claim.  I played Last of Us for 5 hours straight one night I thought the battery meter dropped like one dot

It is too bad I can't play 4K Ultra HD BDs in it, though, but I guess they would have had to have installed a different laser and increased the price to make that happen

The controller time was a hyperbole.  It's more like 60-90 minutes, which is still an unacceptably short time.

That's doesn't line up with my real world experience whatsoever.  I dunno who is only getting 60 minutes out of their PS4 controller.  Weird.

I have a PS4 pro that was made about 2 years after it came out and I rarely hear the fan. I remember they just revised the hardware  on the model I bought and the noise issue was fixed

My PS4 controler lasts about 8 hours. I dimmed the front light panel to minimum in the settings

2 hours ago, Jay said:

That's doesn't line up with my real world experience whatsoever.  I dunno who is only getting 60 minutes out of their PS4 controller.  Weird.

Yeah I don’t understand this nonsense at all. I get anywhere between 7-9 hours. I have two controllers and have never been in a situation where I have to play with the controller plugged in. 

I have a slim and the fan never gets overly loud. 

I’m not going to get the PS5 at launch because the whole console launch thing seems a bit crazy. I will leave it awhile. 

I’ve never been tempted by an Xbox though. 

Bloody hell they're even letting people pay for the system monthly with interest free credit. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-09-xbox-all-access-the-best-way-to-buy-an-xbox-series-x-or-xbox-series-s

Crazy good value from the Xbox camp. I can't wait to see what Sony come back with after today's frankly astonishing updates out of Microsoft. 

I don't think Sony cares what Microsoft does.  They like doing their own thing, which they can do handily with so many AAA exclusive franchies in their portfolio

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think Sony cares what Microsoft does.  They like doing their own thing, which they can do handily with so many AAA exclusive franchies in their portfolio

Yes. Microsoft is having to do all these things because of the fact that nobody bought an Xbox last generation so they have to be creative. 

Sony night not have as much of a lead next generation but I don’t think they’ll lose much sleep. The exclusives will keep them ahead. 

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I very much disagree with this. Sony have been second to Microsoft before, and no matter their lead they worry about it happening again. They're not Nintendo; they're not an idiosyncratic company like they are. Sony are so always aware of Microsoft's deep pockets and considerable console market experience (MS literally invented online console gaming) that they have held off revealing their PS5 pricing (with mere weeks until their system releases) till Microsoft went first. I honestly believe Sony have really struggled to reconcile the Microsoft threat in direct relation to perfectly pitched price point. A more confident hardware company would have announced such crucial pricing ages ago. 

It's naive and quaint to think Sony don't care about their biggest most immediate rival. 

PS5 price vs Xbox is not a main consideration to me .Sony has more RPG's so I stick with them

And I'm not getting a launch model for sure. I'll finish my PS4 game back up (quite considerable and at least a years worth) and then get the quieter, cooler and more stable model revision of the PS5

I'll likely get a PS5 over the Xbox, but I'll probably wait for the black model refresh (because the white one looks gaudy dated AF even before it has come out). I was really disappointed by Sony's final design and far prefer the clean n simple look of the new Xbox systems. 

The $300 Series S is a pretty impressive feat, but I don’t see how there’s $200 more value in the Series X, if the performance points are so similar. Devs have to design to the lowest common denominator anyway in this regard.

PS5 is going to be $499 like the Series X, the only question is what will their digital SKU cost? The specs are the same, just sans a disc drive. So I can’t imagine the price being less than $449. If they manage to pull off $399, I’d be impressed. 

If I wasn’t so embedded in Sony’s ecosystem (friends, trophies, exclusives) I’d definitely go with Xbox. Game Pass is an astonishing value. 

The Avengers game so far is the disappointment of the year.

The combat system is okay, I guess, but most missions are very boring. Many of them involve you being next to a thing JARVIS needs to hack, so you need to stay close to the target while maintaining the enemies away. Problem is, since you can't leave the area otherwise JARVIS won't hack the systems, therefore you get overwhelmed by enemies in a matter of minutes. It's infuriating, and not fun at all.

The score is ultra generic, and sounds like it came from a low budget movie. The main theme is limp and pathetic. For all the critics that MCU composers deal with, but most MCU scores are leagues ahead of this crap.

The plot is not bad, but it's VERY bland. Imagine an Avengers movie produced by Simon Kinberg and Avi Arad, distributed by Fox and released in the mid-2000s a la Fantastic Four.

The initial battle is the best part of the game so far. On it, at least you get to play with almost all the heroes. After that, the Avengers simply disband (thanks to the idiotic plot) and you'll play for a very long time with the team incomplete. My brother already beated the main campaign and he said that you'll only have all of the heroes before the final mission, which is simply disappointing.

I believe that, while the game industry already mastered how to make a game about a single hero (see Batman Arkham franchise, PS4 Spider-Man), but they still struggle with games involving teams of super-heroes. I was hoping that this game would be the first "classic" to feature a whole roster of heroes, but that didn't happened.

I didn't tried the multiplayer yet, since I focused only on the main campaign. But I hope the multiplayer missions are funnier than the main story, because that so far has been pretty bad.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ve actually had the Switch version of this on preorder since way back when it was first announced as Gods and Monsters.  Still looks cool and I’m looking forward to playing it

No one else in this thread gives a single damn about this game, go back to the Nintendo thread!

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Avengers game so far is the disappointment of the year.

The combat system is okay, I guess, but most missions are very boring. Many of them involve you being next to a thing JARVIS needs to hack, so you need to stay close to the target while maintaining the enemies away. Problem is, since you can't leave the area otherwise JARVIS won't hack the systems, therefore you get overwhelmed by enemies in a matter of minutes. It's infuriating, and not fun at all.

The score is ultra generic, and sounds like it came from a low budget movie. The main theme is limp and pathetic. For all the critics that MCU composers deal with, but most MCU scores are leagues ahead of this crap.

The plot is not bad, but it's VERY bland. Imagine an Avengers movie produced by Simon Kinberg and Avi Arad, distributed by Fox and released in the mid-2000s a la Fantastic Four.

The initial battle is the best part of the game so far. On it, at least you get to play with almost all the heroes. After that, the Avengers simply disband (thanks to the idiotic plot) and you'll play for a very long time with the team incomplete. My brother already beated the main campaign and he said that you'll only have all of the heroes before the final mission, which is simply disappointing.

I believe that, while the game industry already mastered how to make a game about a single hero (see Batman Arkham franchise, PS4 Spider-Man), but they still struggle with games involving teams of super-heroes. I was hoping that this game would be the first "classic" to feature a whole roster of heroes, but that didn't happened.

I didn't tried the multiplayer yet, since I focused only on the main campaign. But I hope the multiplayer missions are funnier than the main story, because that so far has been pretty bad.

The game’s multiplayer endgame is the focus of the game. The campaign was probably more of an afterthought to get you up to speed with the combat and controls for the loot grind. I’m enjoying it myself so far. It’s not amazing but it’s not terrible. Kamala Khan is a solid protagonist. 

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It must be really bad if the film scores seem leagues ahead.

I watched the recent trailer for Gods and Monsters Immortals Fenyx Rising and thought the graphics were really goofy looking.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:58 AM, Koray Savas said:

The $300 Series S is a pretty impressive feat, but I don’t see how there’s $200 more value in the Series X, if the performance points are so similar. Devs have to design to the lowest common denominator anyway in this regard.

PS5 is going to be $499 like the Series X, the only question is what will their digital SKU cost? The specs are the same, just sans a disc drive. So I can’t imagine the price being less than $449. If they manage to pull off $399, I’d be impressed. 

If I wasn’t so embedded in Sony’s ecosystem (friends, trophies, exclusives) I’d definitely go with Xbox. Game Pass is an astonishing value. 

Visual grunt wise, the main difference between the S and the X is resolution. It is the high end Xbox - as in it literally compares to a powerful higher end gaming PC. Think of it in terms of the annual tiered iPhone releases; some people will always just want to buy the best most expensive one available.

The Sony ecosystem tether regarding all my past digital purchases is a main consideration for me too, it's a major downside IMO of an almost all digital library collection that has been amassed over many years. Android and Apple users face the same "account severance" issue whenever deciding to switch phone platform. But regardless, I think Sony is going to be forced to offer more perks in its PS Plus subscription now that Game Pass is revealed to be the brilliant subscription service it's set to be. Because there's really no comparison in terms of value: Game Pass blows PS+ away.

On 9/11/2020 at 5:24 AM, King Mark said:

So looking forward to this:

Not necessarily something I'd really get into these days, but it looks a lot like Fable, which is no bad thing.

Have you watched the 4K version of this btw?

Shiny. Those more expensive 4K capable machines might be worth having over the Series X after all ;)

Godfall also instant buy.

Progressing in Borderlands 3 is frustrating. I do all the sidequests and try to be complete but all the loot I get is below my level and completely useless so I sell everything. Only the stuff I buy on the hub spaceship is scaled to my level

Looks alright, although it was a struggle to get past the awful EPICTM Hedwig's Theme. Hopefully the 1800s setting will give us a new spin on the world, and I wonder if JK had anything to do with this?

wow didn't expect FFXVI for another 10 years. 

It seems they've gone back to proper FF medieval settings too. That road trip in the mid-west in FFXV was pretty lame.

That HP game is intriguing, but not sure what it is .A RPG where you fight monsters?  Might be cancelled by the anti-Rowlings Twitter mob though

Managed to snag a PS5 pre-order from Target.

Sony launching a console like it’s the year 2000. Months ago their head of marketing said they will give plenty of notice for pre-orders. Then today in the announcement showcase they didn’t even mention pre-orders. They later said on Twitter that they start tomorrow, but then Walmart went live with pre-orders and slowly every other retailer followed suit. Now it’s sold out everywhere and already going for $1000 on eBay.

What a joke. 

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Highly unlikely, especially given that with high profile people, "cancelling" is mostly a symbolic gesture.

Yeah, it’s just twitter outrage. I don’t think it’ll actually impact anything. New Strike book is selling well apparently. 

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Looks alright, although it was a struggle to get past the awful EPICTM Hedwig's Theme. Hopefully the 1800s setting will give us a new spin on the world, and I wonder if JK had anything to do with this?

It's not like the Wizarding Word's really keeping up with the real world, at most I think the teachers will be different as far as Hogwarts is concerned. That was all exciting, but unfortunately the second half seemed almost cartoony but pretty generic videogamey fantasy thing to me.