What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

11 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I thought it was lazy to have an 1800s Snape, like they needed to convey to the audience that only Snape-looking people teach Potions.

Even I was more creative at 11!

5381384024_7ca5b727e7_z.jpg

Sony coming in for some reasonably deserved flak today:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-17-ps5-is-a-surefire-hit-but-sonys-broken-promises-are-eroding-trust

The comments are a tidal wave of dissent too. Which to me is bloody refreshing actually. 

It does seem like all that bluster from Sony a while back about PlayStation launching with the best exclusives was a load of crap. At least Microsoft has been upfront in regards to their reliance on third party support during Xbox's own release phase. 

I'm definitely conscious of that "old Sony arrogance" creeping back into the firm, as mentioned in the article. 

It's nice that Square Enix is going back to high fantasy for a main numbered Final Fantasty gave for the firs time since... 12?

When they started fighting giant creatures in the trailer, it reminded me of that one episode of The Witcher we watched

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

I much prefer medieval fantasy settings to futuristic ones

Depends on the talent of the people making the setting, I'd say.  Medieval is harder to screw up, futuristic is harder to make original and fresh

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

Wow I like that art style

Well, for Nioh there was a skill that slowed down time and enemies and that was the only way I could beat some of the bosses.And I remember I really struggled with an early game boss. But you could still level up if your were too weak unlike Sekiro

I just read that the new Potter game won't have the involvement of J.K. Rowling, thankfully. Nothing against her, but I believe the franchise should evolve and have other people telling stories set in that universe, similar to Star Wars and Star Trek.

I wonder who will score this game. Maybe they'll call Hannigan back?

On 9/17/2020 at 1:46 AM, Koray Savas said:

Managed to snag a PS5 pre-order from Target.

Sony launching a console like it’s the year 2000. Months ago their head of marketing said they will give plenty of notice for pre-orders. Then today in the announcement showcase they didn’t even mention pre-orders. They later said on Twitter that they start tomorrow, but then Walmart went live with pre-orders and slowly every other retailer followed suit. Now it’s sold out everywhere and already going for $1000 on eBay.

What a joke. 

Genuine question: What is it specifically about the PS5 that makes you want to own it on launch day, vs waiting for a later time?

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

Genuine question: What is it specifically about the PS5 that makes you want to own it on launch day, vs waiting for a later time?

Console launches are always exiting for me. It’s a new generation! It’s fun to get new hardware and tech and play the new games. This is the first line-up of consoles with SSDs, so I’m looking forward to see some real performance boosts in the games coming out. 

Yeah, but other than just owning the system (like, for the sheer sake of it), what game specifically (and not also available on PS4) are you intent on owning a PS5 for, just so that you can play said title? Is there one?

As for what I'm doing...

I've predominantly been a PS4 gamer for most of a decade, but I think the market is changing and players are now even more savvy than they once were. Honestly, the "exclusives" aren't a platform selling point for me anymore. Price and general wealth of choice are. Over the last few weeks (and confirmed after Sony latest stream) I've decided I'm going to stick to my PC for a couple of years, maybe upgrading the graphics card further down the line (if absolutely necessary). PC gaming has evolved a LOT from where it used to be, back when PS4 launched; it's more intuitive and plug n play than PC gaming ever was. For example, I use my old Xbox 360 pad for 90 percent of everything I play on PC, it just works - graphical button prompts and everything. And PC gaming is just so ridiculously cheap, or better... completely free. Then there's the steadily growing cross platform play, which is the single best thing to happen in gaming in a decade. It means I'll still be able to party up with my old Destiny mates, should I ever want to again. Then you can add the option of Game Pass on top! There's really no downsides.

Nah, I'm going to at least wait, possibly for the less fugly black edition. Maybe. But even if I don't ever bother, I'll eventually still get to play "PS5 exclusive" Demon's Souls via Steam. Of that I have zero doubt, and I'm a patient guy.

I just can't justify owning the new Sony system. Even just for the sake of being able to say "I've got one." 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Yeah, but other than just owning the system (like, for the sheer sake of it), what game specifically (and not also available on PS4) are you intent on owning a PS5 for, just so that you can play said title? Is there one?

All of Sony’s first party titles. All the third party games that will look and run better on the new consoles. Video games are my primary form of entertainment. 

I'll actually be quite surprised if Microsoft don't intend to release any of the big marquee titles on the competition's platforms. I'm thinking some of the exclusivity may just turn out to be timed, albeit over a significantly longer period than people are used to. Look how long it took PC to get Horizon Zero Dawn for example. That kind of time frame will apply, I'd bet. Basically, Game Pass will see Skyrim 2 for at least a year before Playstation does. 

That's my best guess at the thinking behind this acquisition. 

I'm mostly concerned about the next Elder Scrolls, but all these Bethesda games take about a year's worth of patches before being playable so by that time I'll be on the PS5

Plus there might be a general gaming outrage if the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls is exclusive to the xbox

Fallout and Elder Scrolls are the most obvious leverage for Microsoft in all this, but I've got a feeling Sony will eventually get those releases too. Eventually. I think MS will ask for a bit of give and take though, at least in regards to its Game Pass library on the PC platform. 

Any JWFanners playing HADES?  It's getting pretty universal praise across the podcasts I listen to and subreddits I follow

Apparently it's from the makers of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre but I've never even heard of those games before

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Have you played Hades?

It’s been in early access until just recently, and I believe only on PC and Switch at the moment. I’ll wait for a PS4 release before giving it a shot. But Bastion and Transistor are fun games. 

Genshin Impact. This looks like a fantastic open world JRPG with BotW style graphics. It's free to play but apparently you don't need to spend a dime to complete it or feeling like your missing out on anything . It's a single player game with optional multi player not an MMO .Glowing reviews. Might play this next or after Ashen. 

I hate gacha and I pretty much exclusively associate the genre with mobile gaming. Everything in the game will be designed around tempting the player to spend money, and I guarantee that multiplayer will be the main thrust of the game, but that it will also allow solo players to access most of the activities. However, I will say the animations are of particular high quality in this one, at least. That suggests an unusual degree of mechanical polish, which while appreciated, I still can't help but feel cynical about motivations behind the extra effort put in. The slicker something feels, the more likely we are to become hooked, right? 

Also, I just never understood the appeal of controlling characters that look like this:

IsOMH9y.jpg

They are pushing Genshin Impact hard, I've seen commercials on TV for it. Most of the time I never see video game ads on TV

several reviews say you don't need to do the gacha stuff to complete the single player mission and never felt tempted to do so and it's VERY optional only to unlock characters that give non essential boosts .There's no roadblocks to completing the story behind something you have to pay.

I downloaded it so we'll see.

I remember Mass Effect Andromeda had these optional multiplayer loot boxes but it didn't affect the single player story at all

I've put roughly the same amount of time into State of Decay 2 and I'm still playing. Started out in Standard mode, got a few groups of survivors all the way through and added them to my legacy pool. Moved up to Dread Zone difficulty and took some of my favourite past survivors with me. It was totally manageable with all their levelled up gear and traits. Now I've started a Nightmare run with my best of the best, and I'm worried I'm going to end up losing some of my oldest most talented crew members. 

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting.  I really got into the flow of gathering resources and solving the puzzles (a similar feeling to gathering resources in The Last of Us).  The story and score were pretty solid too.

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting.  I really got into the flow of gathering resources and solving the puzzles (a similar feeling to gathering resources in The Last of Us).  The story and score were pretty solid too.

One of my favorite sections in a video game is when 

Spoiler

you first play through Lucas' torture puzzle through a VHS flashback and have to suffer horribly, which gives you the knowledge as Ethan to outsmart the puzzle later. Lucas' shock and anger is sooooo satisfying.

Resident evil is one of the few game franchises I never played.

Deciding between Ashen and Genshin Impact now. Maybe I'll get the shorter Ashen out of the way first.

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

One of my favorite sections in a video game is when 

Reveal hidden contents

That was one of mine too

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

Resident evil is one of the few game franchises I never played.

Deciding between Ashen and Genshin Impact now. Maybe I'll get the shorter Ashen out of the way first.

I saw this on Reddit this morning about Genshin Impact. Make of it what you will:

jHNwid5.jpg