What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

I saw this on Reddit this morning about Genshin Impact. Make of it what you will:

jHNwid5.jpg

yes, but  if the game ends when you run out of quests, you stop playing until the next update and more quests and areas are available?  What the reviews are saying is that you don't need to grind bosses "post game" until they add more contents .The 3 locked regions won't open up if you grind your characters anyways.

Games like Borderlands 3 aren't much better. I grinded all the best weapons in the base game but the ones that could top them are locked behind DLC's that cost 20$ each..so I just stopped playing

I'll start it tonight and find out for myself and report my progress.

Keep in mind I tried a MMO (Black Desert) and didn't like it because you just do random useless and boring stuff , but apparently Genshin Impact plays like a single player game and the gameplay and story is actually good.

Genshin  Impact

You can only navigate in game menus with the left stick .Weird. For a few minutes I couldn't do anything and wondering if it was a bug

Attack = O . whaa? Can't re-map buttons in game.

Did a bit of remapping in console settings so square = attack, O = dodge/sprint and right bumper = interact. I remember i had to do this in Outward which had a weird control scheme too. I hope there's no intricate combos , QTE's or prompts  in the game using those buttons that will screw me up.

So far the game looks really good and like a single player JRPG

Check it out it's free!

Played a bit more...seems like a lot of fun and a lot of things to master. Combat seems very interesting and complex . World is gorgeous and character conversations like a real JRPG. It's the kind of game I feel immediately drawn into

I have to watch a few YT videos to avoid making mistakes that will waste resources and stuff and getting myself stuck or screw up progression

Well , I did need a healer character  that wasn't in the story progression,  and I did have to use the Gacha but for free using the bonus rewards they give  you . and i also unlocked one of the strongest characters in the game the same way. Basically I have enough characters in various roles to level up for the rest of the game, which is 6 right now.

It's a bit like Black Desert where I got so much free stuff just logging in 

I mean, at the end of the day, it's perfectly reasonable and justifiable to eventually spend around abouts what you'd spend on a regular priced game, on a F2P one. Especially if you have clocked up tens and even hundreds of hours on the thing, entirely for free. And you enjoy it. 

I'm not going to. The odds of getting something you specifically want though Gacha is pretty low.

But for anyone interested  I'd download the game now and get that free guaranteed healer because it looks like the window for that is over in 4 days.  You get free token for registering for the game now since it's new and they want to lure people in and you can use them for that. Or your going to be cooking food a lot. The first few hours were a lot harder without a healer

After playing Genshin Impact for a while I can see where the roadblocks are.

It's NOT the Gacha system because getting several extra characters is basically useless. There is only enough resources in the game right now to upgrade ONE or TWO characters (and their weapons and accessories) which will be your main damage dealers. The other ones are only there to inflict status effects and elemental synergy. I have 2 extra characters outside of my main party and they will be benched permanently. And all the good weapons can be acquired in game .

So DO NOT waste your resources pulling the Gacha lever EXCEPT the one pull (using the registration gifts) that guarantees Noelle the Healer (for now) . You'll need those gems (used both to pull the Gacha lever and buy upgrade materials) for the characters you already have.

Upgrade the MAIN character first, it's the only one you can  fully upgrade without  excessive grinding, THEN you can focus on your second favorite/most useful one.

Upgrade the free 4 star sword that comes with the PS4 edition, it's better than the other ones you can get in game

Genshin Impact is really amazing on all levels and really sets the new standards for JRPG's .I've been playing a week and still have loads of stuff to do. I'm not feeling at all I'm playing some FTP game but something I might have paid 80$ for.

The only game that looked the closest and almost as beautiful was Dragon Quest XI but the world in that game was really empty and full of invisible walls and you could only interact with specific things. Tales of Zestiria also had a similar look but also very limited in what you can do.  Most other  JRPG's have small "corridor areas" that look pretty but all the scenery is just decoration where you can't go.

Still no use for the Gacha system and I have more than enough characters and weapons  and no need for more. I'm a bit worried for those that are late to the party and the launch freebees go away though. You really need one of the healers that are available now with no hassle. Barbara is still free if you reach Adventure Level 20 before mid November before the next update

There's one free character you get at the end of a dungeon but it was really HARD so this game requires some skill.

My plan is to do all the available contents then wait for the next regions to be accessible

Cell phones are just small TVs anyway

Replaying Shadows or Mordor hoping to actually finish it this time.  The combat is fun and the nemesis system still feels revolutionary to this day but the gameplay relies a lot on grinding to get better.

I think it could have used a few more cakewalk story missions to vary things up.

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Cell phones are just small TVs anyway

Replaying Shadows or Mordor hoping to actually finish it this time.  The combat is fun and the nemesis system still feels revolutionary to this day but the gameplay relies a lot on grinding to get better.

I think it could have used a few more cakewalk story missions to vary things up.

I just found it got really repetitive really quickly. 

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Any PlayStation gamers that use PS+, this site is offering a 12-month subscription for 50% off, at just $29.99.

Thats cheaper than any holiday sales that I’ve ever seen, so I stockpiled a few years worth. 

DeadlyEdibleArgentineruddyduck-size_rest

That site looks a bit shady and it seems good for US only too

Why isn't anyone else playing Genshin Impact? It's one of the best games ever . There is no real pay wall after all since you can't buy the materials to upgrade your characters and weapons. People complain it's difficult to upgrade characters after all the contents is finished but It's more like a level cap preventing you to get too powerful before the next regions are added .Like Bordelands expands level cap after a DLC is out

Playing a bit of A Plague Tale: Innocence and it's pretty grim, I suppose. Imagine The Last of Us but with rats. Less of an action beat 'em up though; more of a sneaky puzzler. All very linear with the main emphasis seemingly being on story and characters, with bits of simplistic stealth gameplay interspersed to compliment the gloomy atmosphere and eye-catching art. It's not bad so far.

[click to zoom]

oZyqb58.png

8tyk6yD.png

Lg32abM.png

3SM9LoA.png

If there's two things I like about modern games which have an emphasis on story, it's ambient dialogue (and interaction) between the playable protagonists, and a good photo mode. 

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yep. Shadow of War can be just as bad or worse.

That one at least looks humorously irreverent.  The first is just a bland revenge story that happens to completely go against the spirit of the source material

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Given that you finished the game, I'm assuming the general gameplay was very compelling. 

It's generally fun but kind of empty overall (partly due to the lack of a compelling story).

It goes for super cheap nowadays so it's worth getting.

Yeah it did. It says they're waiting for shipping and crunching for the day 0 patch for 3 weeks more. Leaves me less time to try out how it runs for my laptop and decide if I want it for christmas but I can take that.

Didn’t the studio make a big deal about not doing crunch? 

I can’t see anything but the game being disappointing when it eventually releases anyway. 

Glad I held out buying a copy. 

I'm still on State of Decay 2 though, although I've just recently started up CoD: Warzone with a work pal again. It really is a phenomenal Battle Royale experience (a genre I just can't get into). 

On 10/28/2020 at 7:14 PM, Quintus said:

Glad I held out buying a copy. 

I'm still on State of Decay 2 though, although I've just recently started up CoD: Warzone with a work pal again. It really is a phenomenal Battle Royale experience (a genre I just can't get into). 

I was very big on Blackout, as you might remember. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with Warzone since it launched. It’s recently become my go-to late night gaming fix. I’ve gotten much better at it and finally won some games after perpetually losing. There’s still a lot I wish it did differently though.

My favorite battle royale has got to be Fall Guys, which could very well be my GOTY. Haven’t played a game that made me laugh and have fun like that in a long time. 

Geez I must have spent over 150-200 hours in Genshin Impact so far. Too bad there's no play time listed anywhere.

I can reconfirm the Gacha is of no use whatsoever except if you absolutely want to gamble to get your favorite character, which might end up sucking when you actually use it. And unless you get it at the beginning of the game you won't be able to upgrade it anyways . Keeping your  main 4 character party upgraded takes all your ressources.

I've accumulated 8000 of those "currency" gems used for Gacha pulls that  I use for more important in-game stuff so I can basically never run out.

I'm soon at the point where  I'll put the game on pause until  the next contents update because I almost cleared everything on the map.