What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Should be getting my copy of Jedi Fallen Order from my library reservation soon. I'll have to take a break from Genshin Impact.

Looks like they got FFVII remake too so I'll get to play that for free too

23 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Should be getting my copy of Jedi Fallen Order from my library reservation soon. I'll have to take a break from Genshin Impact.

Looks like they got FFVII remake too so I'll get to play that for free too

Watch out for Oggdo Bogdo

The Last of Us Part II was chosen as Ultimate Game of the Year at the Golden Joystick Awards 2020:

Best Storytelling - The Last of Us 2
Best Multiplayer Game - Fall Guys
Best Visual Design - The Last of Us 2
Best Game Expansion - No Man's Sky: Origins
Mobile Game of the Year - Lego Builder's Journey
Best Audio - The Last of Us 2
Best Indie Game - Hades
Still Playing - Minecraft
Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
Esports Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Best New Streamer / Broadcaster - iamBrandon
Best Family Game - Fall Guys
Best Gaming Community - Minecraft
Best Performer - Sandra Saad (Kamala Khan) 
Breakthrough Award - Innersloth (Among Us)
Outstanding Contribution - The Gaming Industry
PC Game of the Year - Death Stranding
Best Gaming Hardware - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
PlayStation Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2
Xbox Game of the Year - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Nintendo Game of the Year - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Most Wanted Game - God of War: Ragnarok
Critic's Choice - Hades
Ultimate Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2

https://www.gamesradar.com/every-winner-at-the-golden-joystick-awards-2020/

Haters will cry in the internet.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Last of Us Part II was chosen as Ultimate Game of the Year at the Golden Joystick Awards 2020:

Best Storytelling - The Last of Us 2
Best Multiplayer Game - Fall Guys
Best Visual Design - The Last of Us 2
Best Game Expansion - No Man's Sky: Origins
Mobile Game of the Year - Lego Builder's Journey
Best Audio - The Last of Us 2
Best Indie Game - Hades
Still Playing - Minecraft
Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
Esports Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Best New Streamer / Broadcaster - iamBrandon
Best Family Game - Fall Guys
Best Gaming Community - Minecraft
Best Performer - Sandra Saad (Kamala Khan) 
Breakthrough Award - Innersloth (Among Us)
Outstanding Contribution - The Gaming Industry
PC Game of the Year - Death Stranding
Best Gaming Hardware - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
PlayStation Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2
Xbox Game of the Year - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Nintendo Game of the Year - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Most Wanted Game - God of War: Ragnarok
Critic's Choice - Hades
Ultimate Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2

https://www.gamesradar.com/every-winner-at-the-golden-joystick-awards-2020/

Haters will cry in the internet.

The Last of Us Part II was a worthy winner. 

Ashley Johnson was robbed for best performer 

Playing Ashen. It's like Dark Souls Lite.  I always like these type of games but after Sekiro it seems a lot easier.

I also keep playing Genshin Impact doing the daily tasks and upgrading my party until they add the new region at the end of December. I'm still having fun with it.

Just completed a hard and long Dark Souls worthy section in Ashen ...with no save point for a long time. The A.I. companion in this game is pretty unreliable, getting stuck somewhere and not following you or just leaving you unexpectedly when you really need him.

I'm still alternating with Genshin so It's hard to adjust to the different button mapping when I switch .Very rare I play 2 games at the same time.  In Genshin Impact I've grinded all the materials to reach maximum level of 90 for my main party of 4 characters (including weapons and gear) and that took like 2 months of constant playing to get there. But it means for  the 5 other regions they will add in the future I can just play the story with no more grinding as I don't intend to level up extra characters. I used all the game "currency" they give you to farm in game materials and NOT use the Gacha pulls for new characters .That's why I was able to max out characters

I also got my library copy of Fallen Order I can keep until January 14. So that's next for sure.

I'm playing Just Cause 3 at 90fps with a sweet HDR mod I installed (this oldish game doesn't even natively support it lol, but that doesn't stop the PC homebrew community from figuring it out). Along with Destiny 2, this is the best HDR presentation I've seen yet in games, it's absolutely stunning when the night sky is lit up by fireballs and fireworks, the relaxing wanton destruction, backed up by a physics engine way ahead of its time, is fun as heck. 

HDR has been hit and miss for me. In some games it looks great but in some other ones the colors look washed out no matter what setting I choose, and I have to manually bump the color saturation in my TV settings 

And I'm supposed to have one of the better HDR TV's out there

And Just Cause 4 is free on PS+ this month so I added it to my library.

I saw IGN's review where they liked it enough but complained about the generic push object onto button to open gate puzzle design. I must admit that put me right off. 

But children (who haven't already performed these routines a thousand times in their gaming lifetimes) would probably find a lot to love. 

On 12/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, King Mark said:

on PC,PS4?

PS4.

The opening prologue area (essentially this game's version of the Great Plateau from Breath of the Wild) gives a very bad first impression of this game.  It's really ugly and not very interesting.  But thankfully now that I'm past it the first huge area is gorgeous and fun to explore.  I've been really enjoying this game's version of the Shrines most of all.  

Make no mistake, very nearly every aspect of this game's design is a Ubisoft spin on a corresponding aspect of Breath of the Wild.  The main difference I'm noting so far is (a) the weapon and battle system is more in line with Ubi's usual upgrade tree approach and (b) it doesn't attempt to replicate BOTW's unique physics system.

My main complaint so far is the annoying writing and ever-present narrators (Zeus and Prometheus).

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

The Last of Us 2 won the most awards of a single game ever last night apparently. 

Deservedly so. The game is phenomenal. 

RIGGED!!!1111!!!111rrrr11!r1!

I finished Ashen. Overall it wasn't that long but was quite lacking compared to Dark Souls. The minimalistic art style became a bit boring after a while and all the environments looked similar. To me it looked more low budget than artsy ( a la Journey).  There wasn't much reward in exploring since you only needed to upgrade 2 weapons and the 2 best ones were the starting weapons. And basically all the armors were useless because of a huge stamina penalty. in term of Souls-like games ,Lord of the Fallen, The Surge 1 and 2, Immortal unchained and Code Vein were all better.

Well, it's not a bad game but I just wanted to get it over with so I can start Jedi Fallen Order

Had a little mess around with Cyberpunk 2077 last night, mainly to get all my graphical and control settings preferences sorted out before beginning the game proper. Believe the hype, when you see it actually running on your own screen this game is state of the art. The reports say the launch code is a buggy mess, yet my experience last night generally went off without a hitch. But I'm still going to wait for a few patches before I dive in properly. 

I had such a bad experience with Witcher bug wise that I'll wait at least a year to try that one.

Game crashes and corrupted saves that would corrupt all the OTHER saves. Never experienced that on any other game except Divinity Original Sin

And I need a PS5

Probably the best approach. I only tried it because I picked it up for £19 via Russian VPN on GOG.com, and I was very keen to see if I can run it. This game is basically bringing the last gen systems to their knees. 

Cyberpunk seems to be the butt end of a joke going by the internet. Not something I’d have any interest in anyway but yeah. Seems half finished despite the constant delays. 

When you compare it to how polished TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, or even the new Assassin’s Creed look it’s a bit embarrassing. 

23 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Cyberpunk seems to be the butt end of a joke going by the internet. Not something I’d have any interest in anyway but yeah. Seems half finished despite the constant delays. 

When you compare it to how polished TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, or even the new Assassin’s Creed look it’s a bit embarrassing. 

Yeeesh, they’re even telling PS4 and Xbone owners to get a refund. 

40A6FED8-DDBE-489B-99B7-74D17A0DDA50.jpeg

Witcher 3 was just as bad, at least when I played it. People see it through rose colored glasses now

On 11/23/2020 at 12:04 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Watch out for Oggdo Bogdo

hahaha, I can't beat him yet. for some reason I can't dodge him in that small area and he nails me

Was just coming here to post that news

I'm sure that kinda thing has happened before, but not for a title this huge I would imagine

It’s fricken hilarious after all the hype 🤣

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Was just coming here to post that news

I'm sure that kinda thing has happened before, but not for a title this huge I would imagine

No I don’t believe this sort of thing ever happens. 

By the way, I’m enjoying Immortals pretty well!  I’m not the kind of person that sinks tons of hours a week into games and one quality this game does share with BOTW is that it’s great for dropping into for 30-45 minute sessions every night where you can always come alway feeling like you accomplished something fun.  Environmental puzzles for treasure chests, Vaults (aka shrines), legendary bosses, etc.  There’s always some minor or major task I can find just by running around the map.

Actually, I'm playing Cyberpunk in my good ol' PS4, and I haven't got any problems with bugs so far. Sure, there may be one or two errors (like something in the subtitles in Polish), but nothing that could distract me from the experience.

My brother wasn't so lucky, the game crashed with him once. But after that he had no problem at all.

When I played Red Dead 2, I spent at least four or five months with that game. I hope to spend a similar amount of time with Cyberpunk, considering next year won't be as great for new games as 2020 was, specially if you like me don't have the money now to spend on a PS5.

Bought a late Christmas present to myself, a new gen Nvidia graphics card (which I was very lucky to grab before scalpers), cost more than a PS5! I've abandoned console gaming. 

My wife got me the Last of Us 2 though, so I started that last night on me old PS4. 

Gonna wait till I've finished that and my card arrives before beginning Cyberpunk again. On PC the game is essentially fine since patch 1.05, easily very playable and enjoyable compared to the absolutely atrocious old gen console versions. 

These gamer kiddies losing their shit over the broken nature of the console game at launch make me laugh though, as if it's never happened before (or they're literally just too young to remember older games):

Skyrim would of course go on to achieve legendary status and be an absolutely massive seller, still going even now. Also, it's as if Fallout 4 just worked perfectly out of the box on PS3 and Xbox :nod:

So soon players have already forgotten about the absolute shit show that was Battlefield 4 at launch, now fondly regarded as one of the very best in the series (it is). 

So it is quite cute when ranting babies think Cyberpunk is beyond repair on their shitty old systems, and that CDPR are somehow forever damaged after this. Lol don't make me laugh. 

None of those previous examples were as bad as Cyberpunk. And the point is that they actively prevented previews and reviews from playing the console versions and prevented them from capturing their own footage of the game. My understanding of people’s outrage is not that the game is beyond repair, it’s that CDPR straight up lied and deceived the consumer into buying a game they knew was unplayable. The game went gold, and was still delayed. It’s a fairly unprecedented situation for a AAA title. 

And yes, their reputation is damaged by this, because they published and marketed the game themselves. The game will be great in a year, I have no doubt. 

35 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

None of those previous examples were as bad as Cyberpunk. And the point is that they actively prevented previews and reviews from playing the console versions and prevented them from capturing their own footage of the game. My understanding of people’s outrage is not that the game is beyond repair, it’s that CDPR straight up lied and deceived the consumer into buying a game they knew was unplayable. The game went gold, and was still delayed. It’s a fairly unprecedented situation for a AAA title. 

And yes, their reputation is damaged by this, because they published and marketed the game themselves. The game will be great in a year, I have no doubt. 

It makes a Bethesda release look positively polished. This is a game announced in the PS3/XBOX360 era that can’t run on current gen consoles at the end of their lifecycle. 

Games are often buggy at launch but the studios don’t tell their customers to look for refunds and get the game taken off the PS Store! This is more Fallout 76 than Fallout 4 or Skyrim.

The only people who defend it though are people who spend a fortune on their PCs. 

D4689E75-F1B1-43DC-B0E5-7A02A84E2635.jpeg

3709A3CA-A38A-4979-8A8C-5D781C23D11C.jpeg

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

None of those previous examples were as bad as Cyberpunk.

This is largely revisionism and I find it puzzling. Fallout 4 is one example which was a buggy performative mess at launch on any machine. Just look up the old Digital Foundry analysis videos, or take a look at old forum posts. Or I'll tell you what: skip Fallout 4 and google '76 instead, see if you can reimmerse yourself in the outrage of its day. I played Battlefield 4 religiously from the day it came out - don't try to tell me how "not as bad" that game was online in 2014, it was a disaster and it took a full year for Dice to sort it out (BF4 was a key PS4/Xbox One launch title). You're talking about hype? Whoa, it's like year one of No Man's Sky suddenly never happened. GTFO! Come on man, look up those old headlines instead of chatting shite at me.

Don't pretend like none of this ever happened just because you, like Bilbo Syndrome above, have been swept up with the newest trending bandwagon circle-jerk. Cyberpunk's launch is merely the latest in a long line of woefully bad and unacceptable game launches and for an absolute fact there will be more of them. Moreover, due to how sophisticated and extensive video game production is nowadays, it'll probably get worse before it gets better. Buggy launch shitshows of unfinished games have been happening for a long time, it isn't anything new.

And the point is that they actively prevented previews and reviews from playing the console versions and prevented them from capturing their own footage of the game. 

This is the scummy aspect for which CDPR deserve all the flak they get. However, I suspect any real damage will be relatively short-lived; gamers have very short memories where titles that later go on to redeem themselves are concerned, there is a historical precedent for this, and I believe Cyberpunk is CDPR's first serious offence. We're not talking about EA or Ubisoft here, who constantly fuck up (and so people don't ever get the chance to forget).

Right, so because there are 1D morons present here who only ever see and interpret things in black and white and lack all cognitive ability to discern nuance in literally anything they read when conversing with others online, I'll take the time to clarify that I'm not here to defend the game or its publisher: it is never acceptable to release a game in the state that Cyberpunk is in (on the last gen consoles), nor is it EVER okay to pull the utterly BS shenanigans CDPR has been playing with gamers all these years by implying that the game's pre-release press material (footage and previews) accurately reflected how the game would [roughly] look and run on PS4 and Xbox One. The absolute minimum prerequisite of any game should be stable performance and solid frame rate, things I am known here for caring greatly about in anything I play. I would be pretty pissed off had I picked up Cyberpunk for PS4! But I never, ever preorder... (I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere...)

The game will be great in a year, I have no doubt. 

It'll take that on PS4 and Xbox One, yes. But I've seen a lot the game running in 30fps locked mode on the new Xbox Series X and by accounts, and from just what I can tell by looking at it, the game is already quite playable and enjoyable on that SKU. I would have no qualms playing it there right now, it looks and runs very nice. PS5 has the pretty decent 60fps target going on, but visually the game is last gen - with it essentially running the PS4 version of the game in back-comp mode. It is a smooth but barren wasteland on that platform, and I would avoid it and wait for the proper visual upgrade coming in a couple of months (with ray tracing). The old gen versions though, CDPR have their work cut out! Then again, this is the dev who got [the somewhat overrated] Witcher 3 up and running quite nicely on the Nintendo Switch, so I don't doubt they'll pull Cyberpunk around eventually, and people will forget about the launch. By then the same disgruntled players will probably already be well into their second DLC expansion, which they'll probably still preorder like total dickheads. These things follow a pattern.

Finally, just to further elaborate on my reasons for moving fully over to the PC platform from console (where I've been enjoying overall excellent console experiences for decades), well it was a matter of cost and simple dissatisfaction with the new SKUs and their services, although I'm mainly pointing my finger at Sony when I say this. Console gaming as a hobby is much more expensive than ever before, and after doing some research I learned that I could enjoy the latest games not just running better but also more affordably simply by upgrading the two main components of my now ancient PC tower. I bought a new Ryzen CPU and motherboard (£118 all in) at the beginning of the March lockdown and then months later I took an interest in the expensive new cutting edge graphics cards being announced out of Nvidia, which would enable performance and fidelity above and beyond the already beastly new consoles. After doing the maths, I realised that for the cost of an Nvidia GTX 3060 ti (a very powerful GPU but merely the mid range 'budget conscious' offering of the new cards) I would stand to save a shitload of money in the mid-long term as a PC gamer over choosing to stay with Sony and purchasing a PS5 instead. Why? Because although the initial outlay of the GPU upgrade is quite high (by oirish pauper standards) -- although still roughly comparable (£460 to be exact) to the cost of an always risky first edition Sony system -- the longerterm operating costs are radically smaller on PC than they are on PS5. 

For one, the monthly/yearly PSN subscription fee has never sat right with me: I have always resented Sony for charging gamers to access the online services of their already purchased games purely for the privilege of playing their online multiplayer components. I honestly hoped they would drop that arbitrary multiplayer charge for the new generation (F2P titles already enjoy special status in this regard), but nope, the old Sony arrogance is very well established and it has instead elected to dig in. Too lucrative, I guess; too many console fans already well conditioned to expect a fee to play Battlefield or CoD online. This is fundamentally wrong and anti consumer, IMO. I actually thought Sony would probably revamp the entire PS Plus service with a new SKU launch, but no, they're sticking with the same stodgy old paid online service and monthly bundled pair of "freebies", which I barely ever make use of, if at all. All this in the face of Xbox's now absurdly good value Game Pass service, and well it just really highlights how lazy and lousy Sony are with PSN. I think it is absolutely rubbish at the price!

Online gaming on PC is and always has been completely free of charge. You buy the game you play it online.

And then there is the extortionately inflated asking prices of the new gen console games themselves. What a rip-off! Say I bought five big releases in the next 12 months on PS5 at 50-60 quid RRP, that's potentially up to £300 just on games! Meanwhile, the exact same titles will be significantly less on the many (I mean literally shitloads) PC digital store options, all vying for my business. I never pay more than £20 for anything (Cyberpunk cost me £19 using a VPN trick) and in reality I very rarely pay anything over a tenner. My Steam library is a joke. Then there's Epic Game Store, which gives me two literally free games every month, good ones too:

Untitled.png

That's one part of the visible library. Notice the size of the scroll bar to the right of the screen, it gives you an idea of the size of the list. All free titles - I have never bought a game on the Epic Game Store, besides State of Decay 2, which I used a £10 voucher on - emailed to me by Epic as part of a promotion.

And then there is Game Pass, which works on PC. I think it is 7.99 per month through Microsoft, but I bought a stupidly discounted 12 month sub from CDKeys.com which cost me £13.00. Just because I could. EA titles are merging with the service in the spring. More ridiculous good value.

By contrast, to buy 5 games annually for the PS5 over just the next two years (10 in total), it might cost a none savvy gamer anywhere between 500-600 pounds. To me that is insane! Not to mention just plain laughable...

"Yeah, but PS5 has the best exclusives." What - like Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding? Eventually they ended up on Steam, same as the Souls games. The new Demon's Souls remaster will end up on there too, in time.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-30-sony-says-expect-more-of-its-first-party-playstation-games-on-pc

So yeah, PC players do pay, to varying degrees, more upfront to play the latest games running and looking their very best (I like to use my old Xbox 360 controller), but on balance, there are obvious longgame (arf!) savings to be made. My upgraded system, which is still using at least three legacy hardware components, will last me for the entirety of the new console gen, and titles will always run better on it. That's one or two upfront costs followed by around 7 years of savings. Isn't that the usual console gen lifespan?

Now imagine being an ignorant gaming clown who doesn't understand this concept.

Edit: Oh - I forgot to mention I'll be selling my previous graphics card on ebay (or Facebook) for around £200. I put that cash sale towards the cost of the new card you see. So a brand new £460 graphics card becomes a £260 card. A touch over the cost of an Xbox Series S!

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. I have no problems with PC gaming, and didn’t mention it in my post, so I assume the brunt of that is for Bilbo. 

I will point out that Sony’s PS+ membership service was simply lifted from Microsoft’s old Xbox Live service, which is still required for online play. So I wouldn’t really blame them for that, as online play was free all throughout the PS3 life cycle. The PSN was poorly built from the beginning, and unfortunately everything since then still sits on that foundation, making it impossible to start over or fundamentally change it. Sony certainly doesn’t have the best software engineers. 

I have no issues with the costs of console gaming. To me, $500 is incredibly affordable as it’s roughly the same price as a PS4 was at launch, adjusted for inflation. This makes the $399 digital edition even more friendly of a price.

Yeah no the PC part/lecture wasn't intended to be a direct reply to you, I just felt like having a good ramble and it's been ages since I went on and on at length about something here. I was reminded of how therapeutic it can be to go of on a total tangent every now and then. 

Quint has ascended into a new echelon of existence, a higher strata of being. For he beheld console gaming as it descended from Heaven, like lightning.

PC and Switch has been an absolutely winning combo for me over the last two years; even  on lower settings the games look and perform probably better than their console counterparts. However, there are times where I have to fight the temptation to grab a console for some great exclusives I miss.

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

@Quintus Latest free game I got from Epic was the Hitman reboot. Have you played it?

I haven't. I've been mostly maining State of the Decay 2, with a bit of the tired old Destiny PVP for my "don't know what else I feel like" multiplayer fix. I've never actually played a Hitman title. You into it? 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

You into it? 

No better time than when it's free to find out!

8 minutes ago, KK said:

Played through Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Solid fun. The plot isn't great, but the detail in the world-building is absolutely fantastic.

You, uhhhhhh...play anything else lately? 

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You, uhhhhhh...play anything else lately? 

Lol not really. It's no secret I don't really game much. Just the Naughty Dog stuff and the bigger releases that occasionally pop up in my radar.

I also just started the Miles Morales Spider-Man game.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

Lol not really. It's no secret I don't really game much. Just the Naughty Dog stuff and the bigger releases that occasionally pop up in my radar.

Eh-hem. Have you. Played anything else lately?

27 minutes ago, KK said:

Lost Legacy was an enjoyable diversion, as intended. All of the Uncharteds are well worth playing of course, although I don't think 1, 3 and 4 ever reached the exciting heady heights of 2.

I think I must be one of the few people on the planet who wasn't totally blown away by Spider-Man. I mean, I thought it was alright, but I only ended up finishing it because I'd paid release price for it (I actually got it for my son's birthday present).