What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

At least it was only a loan. Think about all the people who recently bought it full price. 

I have till June to get these PlayStation games played, before my Plus sub expires. 

I have 5 years stacked from the Black Friday specials

I don't think I'd want to tie myself into a single platform for that long, including its digital store. 

I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night, not expecting much, but hey they made it so you can tailor the challenge to your preferences; this includes disabling voiced prompts from Lara when you have been pondering a puzzle for more than five seconds and switching off dumb shit like wall hacks. Perhaps this one will be less of an on rails experience compared to previous rebooted entries. One thing certain is it sure is pretty, particularly when you get down into the actual tombs, implausibly hidden for hundreds of years since their ornately conspicuous entrances are blatantly obvious in their stone's throw distance from regular civilisation. A reminder that these last gen consoles are still quite capable, where adequate 30fps single player adventures are concerned. 

Holy shit!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

I thought it was just a re-rendering but it looks like they rebuilt it from scratch!

So I can just download this and I don't need to get it on disc like I did with the old games?

Wow. I'll get around to it soon.

I just spent the evening sort of revisiting the original game in this YouTube walkthrough, totally bewildered at seeing it being so easily beaten in three hours when back in the day, it took me two years to finally finish, and that was with cheats.

How many of you, like me, just watch RPGs on Youtube for the story?

I don't enjoy the grinding and slow gameplay of the vast majority of RPGs, and the stuff people really put emphasis on in those games is story, music, art, and all of that can be gotten from just watching someone play.

It's like the modern internet version of just watching your older brother play it instead.

I've never sat down and watched a youtube playthrough of any game from any genre

I've only used them as tools to figure out how certain score tracks are used, or to help decide if I want to buy a game or not

Fellas, what say you about connecting my gaming laptop to the loungeroom 65" TV via HDMI? Is there a greater chance of lag compared to a regular computer monitor? Should I get a mechanical keyboard designed for gaming? Would that improve the experience?

7 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Are you going to have a table big enough for the keyboard and mouse?

Yeah, that's no problem.

I just don't want to play these games while hunched over my computer desk. Is Black Mesa and the other HL games in 5.1 or just plain stereo?

Also, can I boot this game from an external HDD or does it need to be on the internal computer HDD? 20GB is a lot.

Did you plug it into your big telly then? If you switch it to GAME mode the input latency would be perfectly fine. I'm assuming you wouldn't use a controller. 

Star Wars Squadrons in VR. Flew an X-Wing under and around a rebel armada, mind was blown. The cockpit immersion alone, with all of the recognisable buttons and layout, is INCREDIBLE. I'll start the actual mission next, now that I've gotten over that novelty. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Some trailers from today's Square Enix presentation

All the news: https://www.polygon.com/22337940/square-enix-presents-march-2021-announcements-trailers-release-dates

I actually watched the presentation yesterday for some reason, even though I'm not really the audience for Squeenix games, and all I could think at the end was if I was a long time Square Enix fan, would I think I tuned into the wrong stream. All those western studios they've bought over the years, especially Eidos, it's so outside of SE's expertise. I know that's the point, but you think they'd still brand it as Eidos instead of putting the Square Enix logo all over it. I feel like Square Enix still gives off a certain expectation of style. It would be like if Nintendo owned EA and branded the next Madden as Nintendo.

Looking forward to Life Is Strange. Lots of Twin Peaks vibes and references in the first game and Before The Storm that I missed out on during my first playthroughs. I’ll probably play the remastered versions again before True Colors. 

Did you completely skip Life is Strange 2?  From everything I read about it, it sounded kinda lame

I loved Life is Strange 1 and planned to play Before the Storm, but now I guess I'll wait for the remaster.  Still not sure if I'll bother with LIS2

I played it quite substantially, twice (after the widespread acclaim) but in the end I just found it too teenagery to ever be bothered seeing it through. 

23 hours ago, Quintus said:

I played it quite substantially, twice (after the widespread acclaim) but in the end I just found it too teenagery to ever be bothered seeing it through. 

You're talking about the first game, right?  With Max and Chloe in a Seattle high school?

Life Is Strange 2 is about younger, male protagonists on a road trip

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Did you completely skip Life is Strange 2?  From everything I read about it, it sounded kinda lame

I loved Life is Strange 1 and planned to play Before the Storm, but now I guess I'll wait for the remaster.  Still not sure if I'll bother with LIS2

I did play through 2 about a year ago and wasn’t a fan. A character from 1 makes a brief appearance towards the end, but it’s inconsequential. Not sure if 2 will play any role in True Colors but doesn’t seem like it. 

42 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I did play through 2 about a year ago and wasn’t a fan. A character from 1 makes a brief appearance towards the end, but it’s inconsequential. Not sure if 2 will play any role in True Colors but doesn’t seem like it. 

Yea, I have yet to hear anything really positive about 2.  

People seem like to like Before the Storm, though

I killed a headcrab with a chair leg last night. The first blow smashed the chair to pieces on the zombie body, so I grabbed a leg and cleaved the crab into the ground. 

Sometimes I got to be careful not to knock the clock off our mantelpiece. 

It sure is! And I still remember how wowed I was by the original game when I first saw it activated on a PC at the electronics shop back in early 1999. At the time, I was only familiar with traditional sidescrollers on the old consoles, so a more realistic and interactive 3D environment was very novel and exciting to me. My parents bought the latest and greatest Compaq PC available at the time, and the store threw in the game as a freebie.