What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

It's a shame that FF legend Hironubu Sakaguchi is stuck in the past and making useless games

Fantasian. "we wanted to re-create the feel of RPG's of the PS One era with pre-rendered backgrouds.." 

I instantly stopped reading and forever puts that game in the never play list

But I guess the PSOne nostalgia crowd will be happy.

56 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Your aversion to anything retro is really quite bizarre.

In video games.

20 hours ago, King Mark said:

It's a shame that FF legend Hironubu Sakaguchi is stuck in the past and making useless games

Fantasian. "we wanted to re-create the feel of RPG's of the PS One era with pre-rendered backgrouds.." 

I instantly stopped reading and forever puts that game in the never play list

But I guess the PSOne nostalgia crowd will be happy.

The game is actually meant to be a project to take him back to Final Fantasy VI, which was on the SNES, not PS1. It also happens to be one of the greatest games of all time, so if he can his collaborators can get back to that inspiration, that's the opposite of useless. 

E3 2021 will take place June 12th-15th this year as a free, “reimagined, all-virtual” event, the Entertainment Software Association announced today. Organizers announced that the lineup includes companies such as Nintendo, Xbox, Capcom, Konami, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive, and Warner Bros. Games. Sony is notably missing from that list so far.

E3, gaming’s biggest annual conference in North America, typically takes place in downtown LA every June and attracts a mix of developers, press, and consumers. Last year’s event was canceled in April due to COVID-19. In its absence, Geoff Keighley launched Summer Game Fest in partnership with many developers to deliver game reveals and news; the digital event is also returning this June.

E3 is expected to resume in person next summer.

ESA president and CEO Stanley Pierre-Louis says the organization is “evolving this year’s E3 into a more inclusive event” that will still include game reveals and news. The organization confirmed in February that it would hold an online event only this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/6/22368617/e3-2021-virtual-event-digital-microsoft-nintendo

Also

Nintendo, Xbox and Ubisoft back digital-only E3 2021 But PlayStation and EA remain absent

There aren't any legitimate concerns.  Wokes are going after how fictional races (orcs and other enemies) are depicted  in videogames and movies, that's where were at in 2021. 

I'm not sure what you mean about spyware .I'm playing on the PS4 and there's no spyware

They cancelled Days Gone sequels (upsetting a legion of fans in the process) and decided to recycle exhaustingly done to death old content instead, how ambitious of Sony. Dead boring.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

They cancelled Days Gone sequels (upsetting a legion of fans in the process) and decided to recycle exhaustingly done to death old content instead, how ambitious of Sony. Dead boring.

The Bloomberg article is really enlightening. What the hell is Jim Ryan cultivating at Sony?

Explains why there was a mass exodus of top tier developer talent from multiple studios over the last year, particularly at Bend. Can’t believe they tried to delegate them to a support studio for Naughty Dog. 

Sony had completely lost me by the very tail end of PS3. I was one of the original idiots who bought a PS3 over an Xbox 360 at the time and loved it, and as soon as they did that brand pivot and the Playstation brand became more Americanized, they stopped making all the quirky and fun and imaginative games. PS4 AAA games were almost all third person action games. They didn't even bother to put out a proper Gran Turismo and now just flat out closes Japan Studio which was the last holdover from when games were fun on Playstation.

I hope this is an opportunity for Xbox. Sony needs their feet held to the fire. 

Also, Days Gone was awful. It didn't need a sequel. We definitely need a third version of The Last Of Us though. Nobody played it the first two times.

I completely disagree. The PS4 was a superb generation of gaming, and was peak Sony.

Days Gone is not perfect, but is seriously underrated. Bend is a legacy team that got the short stick for much of their existence. They finally got a shot at a stand-alone AAA title, and Sony immediately tried to take that away from them. Sony did no favors to Days Gone by releasing review copies that weren’t patched and largely broken. The game was perfectly playable at launch, which is not what the reviewers got to play. 

A sequel could have been turned around much quicker and much more refined, since the assets are already there. The horde mechanic is a blast, but was unfortunately locked away to the endgame. 

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I completely disagree. The PS4 was a superb generation of gaming, and was peak Sony.

Agreed. Sony fucked up with the PS3 but got back on track by the end of the generation. PS4 was just knock out after knock out. 

This move is potentially a misstep but I’ll wait and see where it goes first. 

Hey, it's just my opinion. I'm a big opponent of the moviefication of video games. It's always those games that are mostly movie that they make into movies too, which seems kind of redundant. It's those movie-esque games that became almost all they put out on Playstation 4. Not for me at all.

I didn't play Days Gone, but I read a lot of good and bad about it. Mixed reception, then (although seeming unanimity in regard to its strong second half). But mixed reaction is much more of an incentive for me to try something than boring old "universal praise", so I'm planning on getting it for PC later this year.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I didn't play Days Gone, but I read a lot of good and bad about it. Mixed reception, then (although seeming unanimity in regard to its strong second half). But mixed reaction is much more of an incentive for me to try something than boring old "universal praise", so I'm planning on getting it for PC later this year.

It’s free on PS+ this month if you still have the subscription. 

So what video games have my fellow JWFanners been playing for the last month or so?

I was playing Super Mario 3D World and Golf Story on Switch (with a little bit of Super Mario Picross thrown in as well), and sometimes dabbling in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on PS4 (mostly I was just frustrated by that though), but haven't touch any of those in over a month, as the only gave I've been playing for the last 30 hours of video game time I've found for myself has been:

Final Fantasy VII

I just finished disc 1 the other night, so I think I'm about halfway through.  I'm enjoying it so far, especially it's place in history as trying to evolve past the general look and gameplay most 16bit era RPGs had, yet not being as polished or having the QOL features as modern games have.  The English localization it at times abysmally terrible, but you can tell despite this why so many characters have been brought into other properties (not just other FF side games and FF7 spinoffs but things like Kingdom Hearts, Smash Bros, etc).

I'm looking forward to beating it and getting back into other games though; Every 60 hour RPG I play is like 4 or more shorter games I could have played instead

My wife and I are enjoying Immortals Fenyx Rising. We are taking different orders and have different play styles. I don't care if it's a BotW clone. I'm having a lot fun in this game. I like the combat more. 

Just now, Darth Wojo said:

My wife and I are enjoying Immortals Fenyx Rising. I don't care if it's a BotW clone. I'm having a lot fun in this game. I like the combat more. 

The combat is for sure better, but the world is not as immersive feeling and I found the story to be annoying and overly intrusive.  That said, it's a really fun game and I would love to see more BOTW clones that are this good!

I played Link's Awakening Switch, A Link Between Worlds, and now Ocarina of Time 3D, all mostly at my daughter's behest because she loves the world of Zelda games.

Truly, all I really want out of video gaming is new Mario and Zelda games every year until I die, filling the time around them replaying the existing Mario and Zelda games :lol:

Speaking of Fenyx, just finished A New God, the first DLC. I didn't know anything about it, I bought the game with the season pass originally, so I was surprised to find out this had zero exploration and little story, just lots of vaults - a lot of actually challenging ones making creative use of new powers or clever combinations of multiple at the same time. Only a couple went into tedium for me, but generally they needed more thinking than even the late game main game ones IIRC, I mostly powered through those. Not what I expected but really enjoyed it overall!

Although I'd be perfectly happy if Bowser's Fury was the only new Mario adventure this year!  It's so much fun even if it is short.  In fact, its brevity increases its replayability for me; I've 100%ed it three times since it came out.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The combat is for sure better, but the world is not as immersive feeling and I found the story to be annoying and overly intrusive.  That said, it's a really fun game and I would love to see more BOTW clones that are this good!

I like that the weapons do not break. No, the environment is not as interesting, and the lack of weather effects and FIRE is a let down. The only environmental penalties seem to be stamina drainers.

But the color scheme is adorable and the more varied set of monsters is appreciated. I like that enemies can inflict friendly fire damage on others that get in the way. Gliding is definitely more useful in this game, and being able to magically summon your horse, kill it, and resummon it again feels at home in the magical world. 

I fucking hate the lasers. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Wojo said:

But the color scheme is adorable

I completely agree, although why they made the opening "training" area the ugliest area of the game is beyond me.  The reveal of the gorgeous first major area was maybe more impactful because of it, but those opening hours felt more like a slog because it was so ugly.

And then after I explore the first two additional areas a little, then I check my map to find the series of islands south of the first area, which Hermes' storyline doesn't take us to. At first, those purple bad guys are tough... Now I eat chimeras and gryphons for lunch. 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

That game looks cool - you played it?

I played the opening a bit, got distracted with other games and such

Wow thanks for the tip - there's actually a bunch of games they are giving away free!  Here's the link to that:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/83ccec1a-8c8e-4ef7-bb02-ba0fdf042e6c/1

I picked up Horizon, Abzu, Enter The Gungeon, Thumper, and The Witness!

It's been on my radar since hearing it praised pretty highly on a podcast and then looking it up and seeing it's pretty high ratings.

I don't play a lot of puzzle games though so wasn't that compelled to buy it, but I'll check it out for free!

Did you ever get around to Portal?

Those two are the pinnacle of first person puzzling, with a cracking sci-fi adventure narrative to boot. I'm thinking of going through them again in VR, via mods. 

I played Portal for a bit when I first installed Steam on my old desktop (it was free at the time, maybe it still is) and loved it, but never came back to it.

I'd love for them to release Portal 1 & 2 for Switch

Portal 2 is one of my favorite games.

The Witness is super obtuse. Maybe I’m just terrible at puzzles but I struggled a lot with understanding what to do in that game. There’s literally zero hand holding or explanation of what to do or where to go.