What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

It's early alright, it was there in the beta, and should have been the first thing to be altered. Needs to be patched ASAP. They always talk about the focus on teamwork, well let me play with my team.

All my problems aside, the small game modes like TDM and Squad Rush and Deathmatch are excellent. I honestly think vehicles ruined this game, at least in the console version where the scale of the maps are too big for 32 players. Not to mention all the games I've been playing mostly only had 24.

Time for a new game. I'd consider that new Batman game but I'll avoid Battlefield 3 like the plague (as I do Call of Duty)

As for your comment on me not being a true gamer Quint. I'll make a claim of my own that people that play these mass marketed FPS shooters aren't true gamers and your far more of a gamer if you play any RPG than those.

I'd define a gamer as someone who plays video games on a regular basis/knows a bit about the industry. Most people that have posted in this thread qualify.

Infamous: Festival Of Blood

This "add-on," which is pretty much a stand-alone game in the Infamous franchise, is all kinds of awesome. Only downside is that it's so incredibly short. I did everything in two sittings of roughly an hour each. The story itself could probably be beaten in 45 minutes.

That aside, it has everything going for it that Infamous 2 had, which is a lot. I still consider it a contender for GOTY. So if you're a fan of the franchise, I definitely recommend picking this up. The $10, or rather $7.99, is worth it, in my opinion. There's also some nice new music thrown into the mix, but it's doubtful that will get a release of any kind.

As for your comment on me not being a true gamer Quint. I'll make a claim of my own that people that play these mass marketed FPS shooters aren't true gamers

Completely agree. There are people who own a console purely to play CoD and FIFA games and nothing else. They are affectionately known as "Daves"

If you were to take a look at my 360's hard drive you would find a large and eclectic mix of genres, from action games to god sims, rpgs to side-scrolling platformers. Racing games share space with puzzlers. I will play ANYTHING, if it's well made.

I've got the best taste in games I know ;)

Hey Koray here's some guys you'll be up against in Dark Souls if you beat Demon's Souls

This fight was so fucking hard. It's the kind of epic videogame battle you remember for a long time

That guy makes it look easy. I don't get how none of the attacks hurt him.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

This is the best game that I've played on the PS3. Naughty Dog is one hell of a fine developing team. The best graphics I've ever seen on console, and the most fun I've had playing a game since, well, Uncharted 2. If you own a PS3, you need to buy this game. Stellar gameplay, story and characters, and most of all pure fun. This is better than any Summer blockbuster. Greg Edmonson's score, with some help from Azam Ali and Clint Bajakian, is outstanding.

Quint, I hope you picked this up, you haven't signed on in a month or so.

That guy makes it look easy. I don't get how none of the attacks hurt him.

Usually those guys that make guides on Youtube are pretty good. He seems to be just avoiding the range limit of the attacks and his stamina bar is pretty high to absorb hits . Also staying out of both bosses way all the time . I don't even know how he can get that close to them. I killed them from much further away with spells

I reality avoiding the rapid attacks of the spear guy (that stun you) and the big hammer of the other guy (that can kill you with 1 direct hit) was NOT easy

Chapters 1-3 are amazing. From Chapter 6 through 10 it's a just slightly dodgy but from 10 until the end it's the best gaming has to offer. I love the Arabian music but I think that's mostly Azam Ali and not Greg Edmonson. I'll have to wait until I receive my CD.

I absolutely loved the game show riddle in chapter 5 or whatever it was. And while the burning chateau was more scripted than most sequences, it was still damn engaging. Plus I have NO idea how to program something like that.

Koray, I picked up U3, I'm just doing Yemen at the moment. Splendid visuals and effortless charm aside, I'm... underwhelmed. So far it has not grabbed in the way the previous two did. For me, the heavily-scripted hand-holding formula is getting tired and stale. I like to play games; not watch them. Here's hoping the game will kick into gear in the second half.

Whilst I've had no internet I managed to finished Batman: Arkham City. Sublime. In the end it was as good as Asylum, but not better than it.

Then I feel you might be disappointed overall then. The game focuses much more on melee and the characters, and thus the action set pieces are quite harder than they were in the previous games. There's a plethora of those hard-to-kill bastards with shotguns. Uncharted has always been a Hollywood blockbuster in video game form, but I'd say more so this time around than normal. I'm perfectly fine with that, it's actually what I prefer from my gaming experiences.

Uncharted has always been a Hollywood blockbuster in video game form, but I'd say more so this time around than normal.

Thats funny, because in Naughty Dog's response to Eurogamer's 8/10 review they said they consciously tried to make it less handheld this time.

That game sounds more like an interactive movie than a game. I have to play the first 2 sitting on my shelf.

I have some free time for "short games" because I want to wait 3 months to play Skyrim (until it's properly patched, like I did with New Vegas)

In the meantime I did my first ever "second playthrough" in a game with Dark Souls

Uncharted has always been a Hollywood blockbuster in video game form, but I'd say more so this time around than normal.

Thats funny, because in Naughty Dog's response to Eurogamer's 8/10 review they said they consciously tried to make it less handheld this time.

Well it is, in some cases. There will be levels were you can opt to try and sneak through undetected or go in guns blazing. But more or less, it feels more "directed." There are awesome chase sequences galore, but you can only go in the direction they choose.

I found it very interesting in the making of featurettes how they actually design the levels before they write the story, and then adjust whatever story ideas they have to fit in with what they have already developed. One of the foot chases was developed and ready to go, but they didn't know who Drake was chasing until the writing team caught up. Fascinating, since it feels the complete opposite. I find the stories in the franchise to be of the upmost quality.

The structural design is nothing short of brilliant. I read a book on game engine design by one of the developers involved in the Uncharted engine, and at times it touched upon how their engine does certain things, and what impact it has on level design. The fact that one can know and recognise these technical design limitations and yet get a totally organic feeling from the finished game shows the design skills involved.

Also big kudos have to go to the management team. Designing a chase sequence through half a city must take a lot of time and personnel (i.e. a lot of money). And all for a detailed scenario nobody will have time to look at. Not cutting stuff like this shows financial commitment to a product that not only sells well but has artistic value, too.

I've just finished the Yemen bit. The final chase chapter seemed to take a few hints from Heavy Rain with it's heavily scripted brawl. But it never detracts from the actual game - far more, it enhances the scope and allows you to immerse yourself not in the game as a game, but in the actual story.

I love the riddles in this one so far. They make more "sense" than in the previous instalments. They're still rather over the top and far fetched if you look at them in a completely rational way, but they're on the level of good Indiana Jones puzzles. I've never liked Zelda-style riddles, where you just have to run around until you find all the buttons and figure out in what order to press them. UC3's puzzles work on the plot level, not on the engine level.

Well it is, in some cases. There will be levels were you can opt to try and sneak through undetected or go in guns blazing. But more or less, it feels more "directed." There are awesome chase sequences galore, but you can only go in the direction they choose.

I found it very interesting in the making of featurettes how they actually design the levels before they write the story, and then adjust whatever story ideas they have to fit in with what they have already developed. One of the foot chases was developed and ready to go, but they didn't know who Drake was chasing until the writing team caught up. Fascinating, since it feels the complete opposite. I find the stories in the franchise to be of the upmost quality.

Well, since its an action game, it makes sense to assume such action sequences would have been there anyway. So designing them first and filling in the characters later isn't really such an illogical thing to do if you think about it.

It's not illogical, but it's damn difficult to blend that all together and have the final product be as good as it is.

The game is filled with detail and charm and excitement, so despite how scripted it is, every second is just pure fun. Not to mention how the unbelievable score ties it all together. When Drake falls through the window into the market and "Bazaar Brawl" kicks in as he says "Hello boys." Video game magic.

I'm on Chapter 11 of my second play through, on Crushing difficulty.

Well, Uncharted did go up a gear once it hit the abandoned boat yard. I've just finished the sea storm level, thrilling stuff. At last I'm able to "play" the game as I did the previous two - it feels like an Uncharted adventure, as it ought to. Y'know, I do like the parts of the game where you're part of a group - the banter really carries it and it's nice to feel the camaraderie between these fun characters, but Nathan Drake really excels when he goes it alone. For me, the series' most memorable moments stem from the isolation, the solo survival. In this instance I think they weighted it slightly too much in the character banter stuff - where I'd have personally preferred a purer, tomb raider style of gameplay. There's a fine line between ambitious characterisation, development of narrative and purity of gameplay, but I think Naughty Dog didn't quite find the right balance they were after.

Indeed. It turned out to be padding in the end, but a worthwhile diversion it was nonetheless. It suggests that NG weren't sure they were striking the right balance, either. Or perhaps it is proof that a game's story should never be designed around pre-conceived set-pieces.

Playing

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Seems like a Zelda-ish fantasy adventure game like Darksiders. I like it so far.

The hardest thing when starting a new game is that you have the controls of the previous game hard wired in your reflexes (Dark Souls)

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Hardened Edition)

This whole "war of the FPSs" has ended up with opposite results than what I was anticipating. I got hyped for Battlefield 3 which led to me being disappointed, and I didn't expect much from MW3 which led to me being satisfied. The multiplayer is more of the same, as expected, with bits of Medal Of Honor, Crysis 2, and Battlefield 3 itself added to the mix, ultimately ending up with a good multiplayer experience.

The campaign, which I was expecting to be trash, is miles ahead of Battlefield's effort, and a good joy ride (have only played first 3 or 4 levels though). Brian Tyler is here this time around instead of the usual Zimmer associate, and he does what he does best - mimic Hans.

COD Elite is down due to high traffic levels, but I'm interested to see what it can offer once it's more usable. Overall a success in my book.

I decided to pick up the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection as well, and will be getting Skyrim on Friday. Video game overload :kaboom:

I want Skyrim so much, but I just can't. I have class work to concentrate on for five more weeks, and once I get my desktop back, I have to finish New Vegas, The Witcher, and a plethora of others.

I thought I was gonna have Modern Warfare 3 yesterday but the money I had set aside for that had to go bye bye to an unplanned payment for Medicade. I am getting a new credit card in the mail, hopefully either by the end of this week or first of next week. The day I get it I'm going to Wal-Mart and picking up Modern Warfare 3 for sure. I haven't played Black Ops since Monday but can't wait to get Modern Warfare 3.

From what my friend Joe has been saying it definitely seems like it's the best Call Of Duty game. I'm also glad that he said there is theater mode for it. That was one of the best features they made for Call Of Duty.

I'm looking forward to it!

Personally I hate those that hack their accounts to cheat at a game like Call Of Duty. What the hell is the point of playing it if you're gonna cheat? I mean seriously...

I only cheat on games in story mode, and after beating the game atleast once, its just rude to cheat in multiplayer (unless you ALWAYS lose, but still)

Yes, but when I played New Vegas this summer I encountered ZERO bugs, so it was worth waiting a bit

The initial review said the game was riddled with bugs

I only played Dark Souls and Two Worlds 2 at initial release date this year

I've rented CoD for the hell of it, should arrive today. I tend to play it online for a few weeks before getting bored, which is fine this time since I haven't actually bought it. I'm mucking about with Battlefield 3 as well. Oh and Skyrim should arrive on Friday all being well, I'm very excited about that. Still got Uncharted to box off, and some side-quests to wrap up on the bad arsed Batman Arkham City.

Holy Shit... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-10-the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-review

I'm such a fucking child.

I haven't even scratched the surface of Skyrim, but my initial reaction is disappointment. The graphics and engine are exact to Fallout, maybe slightly better. Gameplay trailers had me fooled. One of these days I should probably get a gaming PC.

Melee combat is as awkward as it was in Fallout, and the menu system isn't as good either. It's gonna take some time for me to completely grow on the game. One thing that stands out above the rest, though, is the score. Can't wait to receive that 4-disc set signed by Jeremy Soule.

Well what did you expect graphics wise? Of course they reached the limit of current gen consoles a few years ago. That's why I can't friggen wait until new consoles come out so we can finally get better textures and shading

As for combat I don't expect the hyper precision and "realness" of Dark Souls, but more imprecise "floaty type" character melee combat , hit the monster until it dies with not much strategy and with most weapons doing exactly the same thing. If all open world RPG's had the combat of Dark Souls it'd be awesome

I really don't feel like getting a gaming PC regardless

I guess Eurogamer were wrong then, huh Koray?

KM, the visuals are STUNNING. Take no notice. The combat is vastly improved over Oblivion, as is the sense that you're really traversing the beautiful, frosty world the artists have created. Gone are the floaty third person controls of both Oblivion and Fallout.

They reckon it's impossible to concentrate on the main quest and I can well believe them - every turn reveals a new dusty footpath, an intriguing cave, a rusty door to a long abandoned crypt. Resistence is futile.

Funnily enough I was talking with a mate about it over Live last night: I don't think I'll ever finish this game, but I will absolutely soak up the experience nonetheless. It's one of those game's you can literally play forever.