What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

that's right the JWfan gaming community is so far xboxone free.

Hey, to be honest now, Plants vs. Zombies makes perfect sense on a touchscreen device, whether it's a phone or tablet o

When I see people playing these games on the bus it depresses me. Even hot chicks play these "obstacle course" games where you just swipe the screen to change direction to avoid this and that., And you can immediately tell none of these people would be interested in playing anything remotely more complicated

You'd be surprised what video games the hot chicks play if you'd get to know them. Nobody can take their Playstation, a TV, and a really long extension cord onto the bus. You're lamenting a situation that makes sense; when you start gathering statistics about people who play their cell phone games at home on the sofa, or at their desk, then you can start panicking.

I got PvZ 2 for my phone but I'll be dammed if I buy all the special plants. I haven't touched it in a week.

I haven't touched it in a couple weeks, but that's because I've pretty much done all I could do. I have a few stars left to earn in the Wild West but they're a bitch. I haven't bought any of the purchasable plants, and while it would be nice to have them, you can play the game perfectly fine without any of them.

Oh man, Portal 3 on PS4 would be stunning.

Hopefully Bethesda uses an entirely new engine for Fallout 4. I would love a completely glitch and bug-free experience in that world.

Such games will likely never be bug free. There's just too many variables to account for.

To an extent, yes, but these games at one point or another were essentially broken and unplayable. I still never completed the last New Vegas DLC because of how much it would lag and freeze. Obsidian pretty much said they abandoned any hopes of patching it and moved on to their next project. With a stable engine and development by Bethesda, stuff like this should never happen.

It's a new generation, anything is possible! If Battlefield 4 on console can match its PC counterpart why can't Elder Scrolls and Fallout? ;)

I honestly would be perfectly happy if they used the same engine as Skyrim. Never had issues with that game aside from maybe one or two freezes and drops in frame rate when too much stuff was happening. I love the little bugs and glitches that result in dragons dive-bombing underground and flying backwards. They just need to used an engine that's capable of handling their ambitions.

It's only "next generation" for you the end user. The games are still designed on desktop computers, whether Mac and/or PC, and the Bethesda RPGs are made for multiple platforms, including PCs. Bugs and glitches can happen to any platform, but they increase if you increase the number of platforms. PC games are difficult to debug because of an infinite diversity of hardware combinations, and the consoles can be buggy because they're so new.

I'd like to think that being next-generation would reduce the bugs, but Oblivion was next-generation with respect to Morrowind, and both were buggy. It's the game breaking or crash to desktop glitches I hate the most.

White Knight Chronicles 2 is a much better JRPG than the first one

The first one's story ends abruptly with no real resolution, but i read it was because the story in the second part was supposed to be in it but they didn't have enough budget to release it all at once.

In the first one the NPC's in towns just stood there and did nothing, but in the second one they give a ton of sidequests

As soon as I heard the music I knew what it was going to be lol. How the hell does stuff like this still happen?

I beat Knack today. Say what you will about its aesthetics, but it's certainly one of the more challenging games I've ever played, though that's not necessarily due to intricate mechanics. I played it on Hard, and it will test your patience. You die in typically one or two hits, it's about being patient and choosing the right time to strike your enemies. Story isn't even worth mentioning, and it's too long for its own good. If I had to guess, it probably took me around 12 hours to clear. Missions and story setbacks are created just to stall and increase the amount of repetitive gameplay. Frame rate dips occur a lot more than they should, which is never. How does a PS4 launch exclusive have frame rate dips when too much is going on? Seriously? And Sony made Studio Japan put this and Puppeteer a priority over completing The Last Guardian? For shame. The game has its moments, and it definitely had a lot of potential for an intricate beat 'em up in the vein of God Of War, which will hopefully be expanded upon once the sequel arrives. I feel like Sony rushed this one out just to have their next gen mascot. The cute little thing even runs in place as the loading icon just like in LittleBigPlanet.

I would tackle the Battlefield 4 campaign next, but it deletes my save every time I quit the game. Load it back up the next day, poof, have to start all over. DICE really blew it with this one, it has more problems than a brand new Bethesda game. I'm only dealing with the last of them too, I heard the game was literally unplayable on launch. Good thing the multiplayer is fantastic for the most part.

Can't remember if I've ever started the campaign yet. I did do about four levels on the PC version last month though, and it actually wasn't horrible. A very pretty shooting gallery I suppose.

Well I guess we can kiss goodbye to youtube game walkthroughs

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/12/13/is-nintendo-claiming-copyright-on-youtube-videos-again

I knew it was going to come to a point where even 10 seconds of copyrighted contents will be automatically removed. It was just a matter of the contents industry figuring how to do it. The shit version of the internet is just beginning

Didn't you follow up on it though KM? I've only read into this briefly last night, but haven't all the games publishers disapproved of the removal of the user uploaded content? Something about hoe it all helps with publicity/sales.

I'd expect the vids to reappear soon enough once YouTube stops being a dick.

I knew it was going to come to a point where even 10 seconds of copyrighted contents will be automatically removed. It was just a matter of the contents industry figuring how to do it. The shit version of the internet is just beginning

Jesus Christmas calm the fuck down! Do you even know what you sound like?

This might not apply to anyone here who likes top down isometric turn based PC RPGs from the nineties, but GOG is losing the license to sell Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics at their website tomorrow at 1:59 PM GMT. This means they are offering the games for FREE until that time. If you get them before then or they're already part of your library, you'll still be able to download them after that time.

Can't remember if I've ever started the campaign yet. I did do about four levels on the PC version last month though, and it actually wasn't horrible. A very pretty shooting gallery I suppose.

Yeah I was enjoying it, but my progress got deleted twice so I gave up.

I've heard about that BS bug. What a joke, huh!

How you finding multiplayer? Gameplay, mechanics, visuals? You doing alright on it? How you liking the greater sense of team play compared to headless chicken maniac kill whoring in CoD?

Jesus Christmas calm the fuck down! Do you even know what you sound like?

Copyright holders and takedown notices are going to ruin the internet within the next 5 years. It's just going to happen, nothing paranoid about it. Technology is catching up to let them do it

Google will block every search ( already happening, try looking for something copyrighted and now half the results is DMCA takedowns)

You tube will be crippled ( no more short TV clips, game footage or even filmed live concerts)

Most "free" videos and clips will be region restricted (happens to me a lot even for simple movie trailers)

Embedded videos will be unrippable except to the most tech saavy (already Download Helper doesn't work a lot of the times)

I'd say were about 50% there

I know I'm paranoid about some things like social network sites and giving your credit card info to any site, but I think I'm right about this

How you finding multiplayer? Gameplay, mechanics, visuals? You doing alright on it? How you liking the greater sense of team play compared to headless chicken maniac kill whoring in CoD?

I'm lovin' multiplayer for the most part. Playing with friends is a bit cumbersome to work out but when it does and there are no loading errors or game crashes it's fantastic. I had always heard that Battlefield is all about team play, and when I first played 3 a couple years back I quickly realized that was all just BS. Unless you're playing with a group of coordinated friends, there is no team work. But I guess one could argue that since EA has upped it's popularity over the past few years to compete with COD, more solo gamers have switched over. The visuals are outstanding aside from some pop in textures upon game starts, mechanics are fluid with a sense of weight. It has the perfect balance between Killzone and COD, which I find are two extremes in the genre.

Still not a fan of the bigger game modes, primarily because of the lack of team work. I swear I'm the only medic that actually revives people. So I mainly stick to TDM and Domination, which are great. My KDR is around 1.20 I think. Some games I'll do fantastic, others I'll do awful. Varies, but that tends to be the case with most games I play. In COD I usually sat around 1.4-1.6.

This might not apply to anyone here who likes top down isometric turn based PC RPGs from the nineties

For those who don't mind top down isometric RPGs:

Looks very promising. Glad to be a backer.

I'm lovin' multiplayer for the most part. Playing with friends is a bit cumbersome to work out but when it does and there are no loading errors or game crashes it's fantastic. I had always heard that Battlefield is all about team play, and when I first played 3 a couple years back I quickly realized that was all just BS. Unless you're playing with a group of coordinated friends, there is no team work. But I guess one could argue that since EA has upped it's popularity over the past few years to compete with COD, more solo gamers have switched over. The visuals are outstanding aside from some pop in textures upon game starts, mechanics are fluid with a sense of weight. It has the perfect balance between Killzone and COD, which I find are two extremes in the genre.

Still not a fan of the bigger game modes, primarily because of the lack of team work. I swear I'm the only medic that actually revives people. So I mainly stick to TDM and Domination, which are great. My KDR is around 1.20 I think. Some games I'll do fantastic, others I'll do awful. Varies, but that tends to be the case with most games I play. In COD I usually sat around 1.4-1.6.

The reason you're the only medic that revives people is because of CoD/casual players invading the game @launch. The reason you aren't noticing the tangible sense of team work is because of CoD/casuals invading the game @launch.

It was the same with BF3.

It takes about 3 months before they all fuck off back to Black Ops or whatever and the Battlefield loyal are finally left to explore the shit out of Conquest and Rush - the bread and butter of the Battlefield experience - for those with the quality enough to stick around beyond the personal killstreak buzz.

Trust me: this game is pure team work, once you tick with its rhythm. As I said, it takes patience (which is the reason why BF will never dethrone CoD).

Well I'll see. Ghosts is absolutely shit online, somehow looking and playing worse than Black Ops II. I'll try to get back into Killzone soon, and if that doesn't stick BF4 will be my primary FPS until Destiny hits in June. Only thing holding me back from Premium are the bugs. Once they sort everything out and add some more close quarters content I might take the plunge. Or more sensibly just buy the relevant add-ons.

This might not apply to anyone here who likes top down isometric turn based PC RPGs from the nineties

For those who don't mind top down isometric RPGs:

Looks very promising. Glad to be a backer.

It looks like a nostalgia game from a bygone era. The Isometric perspective was fine in the Ultima days but does not work at all in 2014. It's for the people like you who haven't played a RPG since Baldur's Gate because they think nothing has been released since that' s worth their time

That said I'd try it if they make it for the PS4 but already it reminds me too much of Dungeon Siege 3

And the environments looks detailed and picturesque, but I'd expect the PS 4 to have the graphical power to render something like this in 3D , 3rd person

Um, they rereleased Baldur's Gate with updated graphics and quests for a large number of people who still appreciate and play old games. You may not personally know any of the vast crowd of retro gamers but that's because they don't generally play on the consoles, and/or they believe there is more to gaming than shiny graphics. Just because some RPGs are third person does not mean all games must abandon the top down isometric view. You might not have heard of a little game called Diablo 3 but it wasn't exactly Skyrim over the shoulder. I happened to buy BG and its sequel last year when GOG had a huge sale, so I don't need to upgrade. But I also bought FarCry 3 to give my 7970 a workout.

It looks like a nostalgia game from a bygone era.

Yes, they generally "don't make 'em like that anymore". Which is why I've been waiting for something like this for 15 years (I kinda missed BG when it came out and when I tried it later, I didn't like it and didn't get very far).

The view isn't about graphical power, it's about the game concept and controls. And controls apply to console in particular in this case. I'm pretty sure it needs a mouse, and for whatever reason, console games seem to refuse to even support mouse input, even if the hardware allows it. From what I've heard, Dragon Age on the PC had a battle mode somewhat like this, and was lauded for it, but they took it out and replaced it with a 1st/3rd person version for the consoles, which is why I never got to play it.

Wow, your stubborn. it's like "I love RPG's but they haven't made any exactly like I want in the past 15 years so I don't play at all". In the meantime your depraving yourself of great games. (Well, I assume you don't play anything, since you never post about games your playing currently)

Just get used to the friggen PS3 controller, it's not that hard...

Or maybe you ONLY like isometric view tactical RPG's...the thing is they don't really make them anymore

You might not have heard of a little game called Diablo 3 but it wasn't exactly Skyrim over the shoulder.

I want to play it on the PS4. But apparently the single player campaign is shit and I only buy games for the single player story.

But I did play Dungeon Siege 3, and my impression is that isometric view is very restrictive. We had no choice in past games but it's not great now.

My love of old games and their charming yet quaint graphics is analogous to your love of John Williams' music. The industry has moved on but you still like something that's old fashioned.

Well it's a cute and convenient analogy of course but it isn't really applicable. For it to be, KM would have to be unwilling to try newer music and like it, which I'm fairly sure he has (attempted to). And besides: he does like some newer music.

The analogy only works when it's based on ignorance. Like for example when Marian seems to flat-out refuse to try new video games that are technically accomplished both in design and visually; preferring instead to reside happily in his isometric comfort zone. Which is absolutely fine.

Then you have Wojo who just because he installs Far Cry 3 suddenly thinks he's The Lawnmower Man.

I had fun with Far Cry 3.

It's not as long as Fallout to accomplish everything in the game

I finished White Knight Chronicles 2, which was overall decent. Some bosses were challenging unlike the first and the addition of sidequests helped a lot.

Now I feel like tackling Borderlands 2. I already bought Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep DLC . (I should have been patient and waited for the GOTY edition that I saw for cheap last week)

PS Pillars of Eternety wouldn't look so bad if you could move the camera angle, but it looks just like fixed, pre-rendered backgrounds

Made my way through some of the Battlefield 4 campaign, just completed the typhoon misson. It's actually quite passable and even enjoyable, most likely because it's oh, oh so preeeeety. The bombastic cinema of it all certainly immerses the senses. I'll never touch it again because it's about as emergent as a rolled up rug, but for a one off playthough I'm content enough.

Btw Koray, do you have War Tapes enabled in your audio settings? Because you really should.

Like for example when Marian seems to flat-out refuse to try new video games that are technically accomplished both in design and visually; preferring instead to reside happily in his isometric comfort zone. Which is absolutely fine.

I don't refuse new video games. I play little in general (I lack the commitment to make the time to consequently play through most), but I love the Naughty Dog games, for example. And stuff like Pillars of Eternity IS new games, just based on classic concepts. Which has been my major gripe with "modern" games - the, as far as I can tell, overall reduction to mostly the same concepts over and over again.

PS Pillars of Eternety wouldn't look so bad if you could move the camera angle, but it looks just like fixed, pre-rendered backgrounds

The point is, there are many people who like this sort of game and therefore helped fund this one, because it's about time something like this was made again. I don't think anybody would complain if you could get the same quality of game with a moveable camera, but I doubt the logistics of that could be pulled off (and if they could, then only by big, rich studios who don't make that sort of game). Because the whole point is to have an actual RPG, as in something that resembles a pen and paper RPG insofar as that you control a group of characters through a story, with focus on the characters' dynamics and interactions. That's something you can best manage from a top down view, and even if you could move the camera, you'd mostly stick to that view nevertheless. Any other view would make the controls more convoluted, so chances are they would suffer in the top down view as well if they tried to make the game work better in a kind of 3rd person view. Plus the design requirements would be exponential, hence the graphics would suffer.

The typical 3rd person view adventure type game, often with action elements added to the mix, is in my strong opinion about as anti-RPG as you can get. Those games may make great action adventures, and I'm not complaining that they are made and played, but what I demand is that we also get some actual RPGs.

I'm gonna try and figure out how exactly the PS4 Share button works. Read online that you can mess around with some settings. I did some hilariously awesome stuff on BF4 yesterday and hitting the button just saves some random 15 minutes of gameplay from 2 hours before. Missed out on sharing the glory!

You nailed the key point, Marian. Top down RPGs are derived from pen and paper gaming. People still do that. I never did show an interest in it until recently, but all friends who do or did moved away and have families, thus no time. I can't even find friends with the time to set up and play Axis and Allies.

Modern RPGs are lighter fare that combine first or third person action and reaction style gaming with leveling and statistics, like the Bethesda RPGs, which omit dice rolling and large party control. In short, there's a game for everyone now, rather than a "oh, you want to game? You must play this" attitude.

###

I think my new 7970 has some kind of video recording software supplied with it. Not that my uber cautious style of play is worth sharing online.