What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I’ve searched for it and haven’t found anything, so I’m fairly sure this hasn’t come up yet.

I’ve recently finished Portal stories: Mel. It’s a full new single player campaign mod for Portal 2 with voice acting and everything, you can download it from Steam for free.

I immensely enjoyed it, it has some nice puzzles, if you loved Portal 2, then I think you will like this too.

Portal 2 is one of my top 3 favourite games ever. I fancy Mel, but how do its puzzles scale compared to the Valve originals? Are they about as difficult as their ones, or even harder? 

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

Portal 2 is one of my top 3 favourite games ever. I fancy Mel, but how do its puzzles scale compared to the Valve originals? Are they about as difficult as their ones, or even harder? 

I think they are slightly harder, but within reason. They are mostly logical, and flow with the story.

That is if you play the story mode, there is an advanced mode with the original mod ideas and puzzles, they are harder than their story counterparts.

After two week break, I finally finished the remaining 24% percent of Uncharted 3. Was to busy in that time. It was really enjoyable, some of it was amazing (like the entire pirate ship sequence). But overall it was slightly weaker than its predecessor. The entire "third act", right after the plane crash sort of doesn't live up to the promise. Thus, second game remains the best one.

Oh and cannot wait for the new one! This collection was a great warm up before Drake's latest adventure. :)

Karol

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

After two week break, I finally finished the remaining 24% percent of Uncharted 3. Was to busy in that time. It was really enjoyable, some of it was amazing (like the entire pirate ship sequence). But overall it was slightly weaker than its predecessor. The entire "third act", right after the plane crash sort of doesn't live up to the promise. Thus, second game remains the best one.

I'll have to replay them (on PS4) before I can decide. I loved the 2nd one, and I loved the third one and some of its improvements. Meelee fights in #3 are by far the most fun type of combat in the series. It also has the best score and some of the best set pieces. But the finale is a bit of a let down, story wise.

Completely disagree, the only thing that's awkwardly paced is your favorite segment, the pirate ship ;) It's literally a "Hey we have a cool idea for a set piece but it doesn't fit anywhere in the story, let's just stick it here."

The Yemen sequences are some of my favorites in gaming history.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh and cannot wait for the new one! This collection was a great warm up before Drake's last adventure. :)

Fixed.

I've played through all Uncharted games in one go (not one sitting, but within a fairly short period of time), so it's kind of one big experience for me, but maybe the second game has the best story and pacing. I agree that the third game has the best score by far, that's the one that even my mother likes :D

I have seen in a behind the scenes video that sometimes they design a whole scene or set-piece before they integrate it into the story. Their example I think was some on-foot chase scene in the third game. They've had gameplay prototypes for it even before the script was finished.

So it's completely plausible that they've really just stuck the pirate ship scene there :)

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. Can't remember where I saw the video. It was the Talbot chase in Yemen. It was a fascinating revelation for me, as Naughty Dog's story telling and character development is so on point, that they somehow shoehorn that in after the gameplay design.

Yeah, that's scene. I think you could access the BTS videos from inside the game.

I started wondering too, how many of the story set-pieces were designed by the writers and how many by the gameplay designers :D

Uncharted 3 was where they kept wrestling the control away from the player and interrupting the flow of the agency with what felt like constant chat and handholding, spoiling the pace every time as a result. It'd really gotten on my nerves by the time it was all over, the final mission was indeed a total anticlimax. The story I've entirely forgotten, I failed to be engaged by it - a first for the series. 

There are a few great moments dotted here and there of course, the standout highlight being the sublime desert trek. 

Incidentally, I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider at the moment, and it is enthralling. I actually thought the last one was hugely overrated, but this time they've really nailed the exploration and tactility of traversal; the MacGuffin too and the way it is focused on is very motivational. Visually, I'm blown away at every turn. I'll be surprised if Naughty Dog can better what Crystal Dynamics has done on this occasion. 

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Completely disagree, the only thing that's awkwardly paced is your favorite segment, the pirate ship ;) It's literally a "Hey we have a cool idea for a set piece but it doesn't fit anywhere in the story, let's just stick it here."

The Yemen sequences are some of my favorites in gaming history.

Fixed.

Oh yeah the Yemen sequence was very cool. And I also agree that the pirate interlude didn't even belong in this story. But it is by far the biggest setpiece in all three games. And I loved every second of it.

And yes, Quint. I do like the desert wandering bit too. Shame nothing much follows it.

But overall I enjoyed all three. Hopefully, the last one will be a fitting conclusion. I was looking at some footage the other day and it looks amazing.

Karol

The desert wandering was lovely, I liked the whole airplane set-piece (minus the quick jeep gameplay with the waving, that felt awkward to me somehow), it was in the first E3 demo If I remember correctly, and that was the first Uncharted footage that I’ve seen (I did not have a PS back then). It got me hyped for the franchise, so that sequence of events will always be my favourite. What I do not like is that after wandering around in the desert they wanted to emphasise that he’s barely conscious, near-death tired and dehydrated, but when he reaches the Settlement he starts running, jumping, firing like nothing happened. That threw me off and neglected the impact of the whole desert scene.

I don’t know why they’ve decided to change the composer whom the majority loved. Was it for artistic reasons or just to have a “mainstream” Hollywood composer?

3 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

What I do not like is that after wandering around in the desert they wanted to emphasise that he’s barely conscious, near-death tired and dehydrated, but when he reaches the Settlement he starts running, jumping, firing like nothing happened. That threw me off and neglected the impact of the whole desert scene.

Yes! There should have been a cutscene of him finding some water. Or something.

Karol

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

What, they've replaced Edmonson?? 

FFS, I bet it's gonna be Gears of War 2 all over again. 

Yes, they've replaced him with Henry Jackman.

henryjackmanzrf53.png

I quite enjoy Edmondson's score to Uncharted 3.  Keep meaning to check out the others.  Pity he won't be able to finish the final entry with likely the biggest orchestra budget yet.  Oh well.

You really should :)

Yes, it's a shame, I don't know what went down behind the curtains, but I hope they at least keep Nate’s theme, it’s part of the connecting tissue that binds the whole franchise together.

Edmonson was Hennig's choice. When they booted her off the project Edmonson went with her. Druckmann and Straley effectively scrapped development up to that point and started over.

I've been talking about the music for awhile now, Lee, pretty sure we discussed it when I played the beta. Or it may have been Marian. Either way I spoke with Edmonson after the news first broke and he appreciated the sentiments. Eagerly looking forward to what he scores next. 

But considering the beta lacked Nate's Theme 4.0 I'm sure it won't feature in the final game, which is a shame. I have high hopes for this game and hope it doesn't suffer from a major missing link like with Hayter's absence in MGSV. 

Indeed

On 12/7/2015 at 10:53 PM, Koray Savas said:

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer Beta

The beta is live, and I'm pleased that they brought over a lot of the mechanics from The Last Of Us. Less hardcore and unforgiving in its learning curve, obviously, but still great fun from what I've played so far. I imagine I'll put a lot of hours into it when the game launches in March. The graphics look stunning for an online shooter, which means the core campaign is going to look even better. Unfortunately, the lack of Greg Edmonson as composer is immediately noticeable. Instead of having his triumphant main theme blasting over the menu screen, we have Henry Jackman's low key percussion drones. For shame!

Oh, well, I'm still hoping that they are just holding it back or haven't finished it, and it will make a triumphant return in the full game. Maybe it was a temp multiplayer score. We will see.

It's completely believable that they've wanted to distance themselves from Hennig as much as they can while still maintaining the game's overall feel. Let's hope they succeed and the game turns out to be the last best Uncharted.

Life Is Strange

So a little over a year ago when I played the demo for Episode 1, I really disliked this game. Thinking back now, I can't exactly remember what turned me off from it, nor what really prompted me to buy the retail version that was recently released. Either way, this game may have just sealed itself as my favorite of 2015. It took me by surprise, honestly, since I had no expectations for the story to be as interesting as it was. It takes a lot of genre tropes and archetypes and turns it into something emotionally meaningful through incredible environmental storytelling, atmosphere, mood, and tone.

It's a decision based game in the vein of Telltale, but where Dontnod succeeds is that their art direction and style actually immerse you in the game's universe. Not to mention the decisions actually feel like they have weight and consequence. I would actually pause the game for upwards of 20 minutes on some occasions, to actually think through the repercussions of these choices and how it could affect the characters. For those unaware, the game is about a teenage girl who moves back to her small Oregon hometown to go to a prestigious art school. There, she discovers she has the power to control time and space while reconnecting with her childhood best friend. It was a lot heavier on the science fiction aspects of it, which I really connected with and enjoyed, with each episode having a really cool cliffhanger ending showcasing the effects of her time traveling. It is heavily influenced by Twin Peaks, with a handful of references sprinkled throughout, not to mention story parallels. Voice acting is quite good throughout (which is odd since I remember hating it during the demo), but one standout is Ashly Burch as Chloe, who gives a truly remarkable performance that really resonated with me.

Anyway, I don't know why I connected to this game so much, but I really loved the experience. It's the new standard for the genre, in my opinion, even outdoing the likes of Quantic Dream.

Yeah, I know what you say, LiS is the 3rd game on my top list for 2015 :)

I think its main success is that they nailed the art style, the characters, and more importantly, they nailed the relationship between the 2 main characters. The sci-fi elements are there as a base to the character drama and as a cool gameplay feature. I also enjoyed the investigating parts immensely.

I can recommend it for anyone. You don’t have to be from the US to enjoy the Pacific Northwest setting and the beautifully selected songs, it just oozes great atmosphere.

Oh and I completely agree, Ashly Burch was absolutely fantastic as Chloe, she should be doing these kinds of voice over works more often.

It certainly has some typical High School drama at first, but I think when they start bringing in more adult themes and some pretty dark themes as well, that’s when it all clicks together as a true emotional experience.

But I’m torn about the “choice and consequence” aspect of this game. That is why this is number 3 in my list and Tales from the Borderlands is my number 2. I won’t spoiler anything, but they kinda did a Mass Effect 3 at the end. I don’t necessary mind that, but as Koray Savas has said, they’ve made you feel that every choice will have a consequence one way or another.

Another minor hiccup for me is that the facial animations are not particularly well done, or not as well as the Witcher 3 for example (which is my uncontested Game of the Year, but that’s for a whole different discussion). It does its job, and it’s more than enough here.

For me, Tales from the Borderlands is what nailed the formula this year, it even became my all-time favourite Telltale game series. I love the humour of the whole franchise, and they absolutely nailed it, the characters were fun, the story was fun and epic, the whole thing felt like a passion project for me.

Life is Strange is more of a serious drama, and it deserves all the attention it’s getting, and the truth is, Dontnod needs all the money they can get, more so than Telltale, so if you can only buy one of the two, you should go with LiS.

How could I forget to mention the music? Yeah the songs and original score blended really well and sealed that atmosphere of angst and passion. Facial animation I can forgive for the most part because the main draw was investigating and learning through the environment, but yes, the lips rarely matched the words coming out of them.

I also really like Tales From The Borderlands but the storytelling on display in Life Is Strange takes the cake for me. Telltale's biggest area of improvement is their crap engine and sound design. 

The deep, often disturbing electronic underscore for the darker, more sinister scenes still gives me the creeps :D

Oh yeah, that Telltale engine is really bugging me too. It has improved significantly since their Jurassic Park game, which was a mess technically, but not nearly enough.

Maybe they don’t have the resources to develop a completely new engine. They are constantly working on at least 2-3 games in parallel, and they are prone to delays as it is.

As much as I adore Max and Chloe and their relationship and story, that last gut-punch in the end made me rate Tales’s story higher. The latter really ended on a high note after an epic and satisfying final episode, and it knew the whole time what it was and what it will be. And I just loved the characters (especially Loader bot ).

But ultimately, they’re really close. If you rate adult themes, serious drama, angst and passion higher than epic fun and silly humour, LiS is the one for you.

9 minutes ago, Woj said:

I played a little of their first Back to the Future episode, but I wasn't interested to finish it nor in buying more of their games. 

Not surprising, their BttF game is considered one of their weakest games in the general public. It was before they found their winning blend of tailored choices and storytelling.

I’ve been loving them since their very first game, Sam & Max Save the World (the first season).

Their breakthrough was the first season of the Walking Dead (based on the comic, not the TV show, but with mostly new characters). It introduced the core gameplay and storytelling mechanisms that won them a bunch of awards. It was emotional, it gave you an illusion of choice and consequence (they call it something like “the game is tailored by how you play”), it had great characters (it had one of the best child characters ever imho), and it was surprisingly good after the hiccups with their Jurassic Park game.

Their Back To The Future game is awful. Never played Jurassic Park, nor do I want to. Looks just as bad.

If they would stop working on 3 games at once they could find the time to fix their engine, but I suppose they're successful enough to not care. The Wolf Among Us, Tales From The Borderlands, and Minecraft: Story Mode are by far their best games. 

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Ubisoft couldn't have picked a more boring city for an open world action game. The raining overcast grayness of London is perpetually boring to explore. However, they replaced the ubiquitous map icons and collectibles (bane of Quint's existence) with a system that's a lot more manageable and more akin to Far Cry 4. You have to takeover regions of the city by completing certain missions, such as child liberation, bounty hunts, and clearing out gang hideouts, ultimately leading to a huge gang war for final control of the territory. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Unity in that regard, but it is still no match for the open world perfection of Black Flag. Luckily, it seems to be a lot smaller in terms of content than other AC games, meaning I will try to force my way through everything quickly before my next open world game: Mad Max.

I also purchased Unravel and Firewatch from the PS Store today, and will probably squeeze those short games somewhere along my play through of Syndicate.

Tomb Raider on PC looks like the next step up:

gEgL7ZN.jpg

MYPXxcw.jpg

jww9Xgz.jpg

HDRAOCe.jpg

ot8TIz0.jpg

kw8MaH1.jpg

The experience may have evolved over the years (not always for the better), but there's no deying when the path opens up into these sorts of areas there's still nothing else in games which stirs the imagination like Tomb Raider does do. 

I’ve lost interest in the AC franchise after maybe Revelations, It just became frustratingly repetitive, and the story couldn’t keep up to Ezzio’s.

Interestingly, the Victorian era London is the most interesting setting so far to me, I’m a huge fan of the era, I’ve read almost every Sherlock Holmes story, and I’m a general fan of the whole British culture, so if I had to choose, I’d rather play Syndicate first and Black Flag after. I like pirates to an extent, but I’ve never really been a fan.

As I love great storytelling, the best open world experience for me was the Witcher 3, it really was the first game that convinced me not to use fast travel that much so I could enjoy the setting as I rode from Crow’s Perch to Novigrad on my annoyingly spawning horse Roach :D

Firewatch excites me too, but not at the moment, I’m busy with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I can say I absolutely agree with Quintus that the PC version is just drop dead gorgeous. It’s a joy to explore.

I’d also like to post some screenshots (1440p, almost full settings). I took them from early in the game. I just love the lighting work and the weather effects. I’m the kind of person who gets cold rather quickly and I can say they did a fine job at simulating the immense cold of Siberia. I could easily sympathise with Lara in the snow :D

2016-02-09_00013.jpg

2016-02-09_00021.jpg

2016-02-09_00042.jpg

2016-02-09_00076.jpg

2016-02-10_00053.jpg

I'm absolutely determined to make a start on The Witcher 3. After Fallout 4 and the dozens upon dozens of others I've got in my backlog. Actually, Dying Light's big expansion is my next expected playthrough, so there goes another 20 hours over a few weeks. 

TV isn't the only medium enjoying a 'golden era' at the moment, IMO. 

I played The Witcher 3 for maybe 5 or 6 hours and it just didn't click. Never been a fan of high fantasy, and the complete lack of progression in the gameplay is a huge turnoff for me. I played Dying Light for a little longer and that didn't really click either. I'd like to put more time into both to get my money's worth but I can't see myself ever going back considering all the other open world games I have lined up.

I agree with you, Lee, about the golden era of gaming. I've never bought nor played as many games as I do now. To think I only owned maybe 20 games on the N64!

Saw pre-owned copies of Fallout 4 for £30 in Game during the week, so took in 3 games to trade against it and got it for £15.50 (quite pleasing when it was £45 - £50 on release 3 months ago).

Looking forward to getting into it.

The Witcher franchise is more than a simple high fantasy. For me, it’s even better than the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). For example, the way they depict and treat sex is something that you’ll never find in a traditional high fantasy. The universe is rough, raw, and unforgiving. There are no black and white characters, everyone has a flaw or an agenda, and everyone is a complex character, even the peasants encountered during the smaller side-quests. For me, Ciri, Geralt’s daughter-by-choice is the best written character and best women character of the year (I think she’s better than Chloe or Max from LiS). I’ve played all 3 Witcher games and I recommend it to everyone (and the original Sapkowski novels and stories too of course). Unfortunately the first one is not really aged well graphically, and you can feel it’s their first ever game, the fight mechanics are weird, but even back then the storytelling was up to the task. It uses some awesome Eastern European folklore and influences, so it has a distinctly unique feel that is close to my heart as a Hungarian (We are historically close to the Polish).

The thing about the Witcher 3 in particular is that the story is its main focus. They’ve made it so that every little side-quest can have some serious emotional conflicts in it and tough decisions. For example there’s a little village. In this village someone contracts you to kill some monster terrorising the village, it seems simple. But as you talk to the folks and elders, you discover a complete history. Some say that the monster is a blessing, because they use it as a rite of passage for their young warriors. During the quest you discover that the monster can occupy someone so you start investigating. In the end, you can choose what to do, to kill the monster as a true Witcher, or to make some kind of deal with it, and every choice has dark consequences.

In this, the world serves the story and not the story serves the world as in other kinds of open world games. And it just oozes the passion that went into it in every little tree, monster, or character. My first play-through was 160+ hours, so you won’t see much progression in 5 or 6. I was a fencer in high school (the traditional Olympic kind), and I can say this with confidence that for me this game’s swordplay is the closest that gets to the real feeling. I played it on the hardest difficulty, and I was relieved when after 40-50 hours or so I’ve finally learnt the secondary defensive sign magic, it made a huge difference in terms of gameplay.

I’ll write another example that’s not a spoiler in any way. When I was around level 10-15, I saw an unidentified draconid flying through the air (it wasn’t tied to any quest), it did not care about me, and it was kilometres beyond my level, so I quickly got out of there. Lots of quests and levels later I was stronger, more educated on the nature of these beast from the lore (there’s a huge bestiary and codex), so I said to myself it’s time to deal with it, just for fun’s sake. I knew from the bestiary that it liked goat meat, and if I could confine it to a smaller place I could easily cut it down. So I devised a plan. I mind-controlled a goat so it would follow me and I found an abandoned ruin along the beast’s flight path, so I went there with the goat and waited. The beast came and went directly for the goat, I quickly jumped out and cut it down after a fierce fight. If that’s not the definition of role-playing a monster hunter I don’t know what is, and it wasn’t even a part of the written story, it was just me playing with the mechanics of the world.

6 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

The thing about the Witcher 3 in particular is that the story is its main focus. They’ve made it so that every little side-quest can have some serious emotional conflicts in it and tough decisions. For example there’s a little village. In this village someone contracts you to kill some monster terrorising the village, it seems simple. But as you talk to the folks and elders, you discover a complete history. Some say that the monster is a blessing, because they use it as a rite of passage for their young warriors. During the quest you discover that the monster can occupy someone so you start investigating. In the end, you can choose what to do, to kill the monster as a true Witcher, or to make some kind of deal with it, and every choice has dark consequences.

Yeah, even as somebody who is getting tired of high-fantasy RPGs (there are other genres for God's sake!) Witcher 3 blew (and is still currently blowing) me away.

My favorite video games are the Super Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron II and Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour. But I don't play video games anymore.

9 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

The Witcher franchise is more than a simple high fantasy. For me, it’s even better than the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). For example, the way they depict and treat sex is something that you’ll never find in a traditional high fantasy. The universe is rough, raw, and unforgiving. There are no black and white characters, everyone has a flaw or an agenda, and everyone is a complex character, even the peasants encountered during the smaller side-quests. For me, Ciri, Geralt’s daughter-by-choice is the best written character and best women character of the year (I think she’s better than Chloe or Max from LiS). I’ve played all 3 Witcher games and I recommend it to everyone (and the original Sapkowski novels and stories too of course). Unfortunately the first one is not really aged well graphically, and you can feel it’s their first ever game, the fight mechanics are weird, but even back then the storytelling was up to the task. It uses some awesome Eastern European folklore and influences, so it has a distinctly unique feel that is close to my heart as a Hungarian (We are historically close to the Polish).

In this, the world serves the story and not the story serves the world as in other kinds of open world games. And it just oozes the passion that went into it in every little tree, monster, or character. My first play-through was 160+ hours, so you won’t see much progression in 5 or 6. I was a fencer in high school (the traditional Olympic kind), and I can say this with confidence that for me this game’s swordplay is the closest that gets to the real feeling. I played it on the hardest difficulty, and I was relieved when after 40-50 hours or so I’ve finally learnt the secondary defensive sign magic, it made a huge difference in terms of gameplay.

I’ll write another example that’s not a spoiler in any way. When I was around level 10-15, I saw an unidentified draconid flying through the air (it wasn’t tied to any quest), it did not care about me, and it was kilometres beyond my level, so I quickly got out of there. Lots of quests and levels later I was stronger, more educated on the nature of these beast from the lore (there’s a huge bestiary and codex), so I said to myself it’s time to deal with it, just for fun’s sake. I knew from the bestiary that it liked goat meat, and if I could confine it to a smaller place I could easily cut it down. So I devised a plan. I mind-controlled a goat so it would follow me and I found an abandoned ruin along the beast’s flight path, so I went there with the goat and waited. The beast came and went directly for the goat, I quickly jumped out and cut it down after a fierce fight. If that’s not the definition of role-playing a monster hunter I don’t know what is, and it wasn’t even a part of the written story, it was just me playing with the mechanics of the world.

Glad you're enjoying it. Not my type of game.

17 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Glad you're enjoying it. Not my type of game.

Thanks :) That's the beauty of different personalities even among the Williams fans.

21 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

My favorite video games are the Super Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron II and Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour. But I don't play video games anymore.

Interesting, I’ve been a gamer my whole life, heck, my thesis at the University was a moving, talking toy sized Dalek robot prototype, so the game/toy culture is a big part of my life, but I haven’t played any of these games when I was a child, not even the Star Wars ones.

Of course it was because we never owned any consoles, just PCs. Our first PC was an IBM 286 in 1990 with MS DOS and Windows 3.1 :D Basically, I knew how to play on a computer before I could read :D It’s still in my room with me as a token of where I came from :)

The SNES games are awesome side scrolling action games with mode 7 fake 3D vehicular levels that nail the feel of the movies very well. Shadows is just a bitchin' action/adventure game with huge levels that go on for 30-45 minutes and also nail the feel of SW. Disney World racing let's you take control of ride vehicles and explore faithful recreations of the attractions!

13 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

The SNES games are awesome side scrolling action games with mode 7 fake 3D vehicular levels that nail the feel of the movies very well. Shadows is just a bitchin' action/adventure game with huge levels that go on for 30-45 minutes and also nail the feel of SW. Disney World racing let's you take control of ride vehicles and explore faithful recreations of the attractions!

Thank you! :)

Nintendo wasn’t really a huge thing in our community, I don’t know if it was a Hungarian thing, or just us. Most of my friends started with the good old Commodore 64. The Disney World game sounds interesting as I haven’t been near to any real world Disney World, our post-communist idea of a theme park was one moderately good ferris-wheel, a slow and old wooden rollercoaster, cheap beer, and the saddest fable-train that I have seen. It was old even in the soviet era, and it has not changed one bit since. The fable part is just some random figurines made from polyurethane foams without much of their paint left. Oh, and the music. From speakers older than my parents :D Later, they borrowed a Rollercoaster from Scotland that had one loop in it, so my cousin and I visited it once we’ve became 18.The legally drinking beer in a theme park part was the most interesting of all :D