What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Started Uncharted 4. So far it looks great, but there is a lot more cutscenes. And they are lengthy indeed. Fortunately, it's all involving and entertaining.

Karol

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I don't want to properly evaluate Uncharted until I've finished it, but I'm on Chapter 8 and it's fantastic.

I'm on chapter 21 and it's fantastic.

Karol

Prologue, 22 chapters and an epilogue. At least that's what I read somewhere.

EDIT: Yeah, I was right. Just finished it.

Karol

Finally got around to finishing Uncharted 2. I found it to be fairly middling overall. Some individual moments are fun but the endless gunfights get tiring. I didn't particularly like the lead (struck me as a loud-mouth Nathan Fillion wannabe) and some moments felt way too melodramatic for what is essentially a breezy Indiana Jones adventure.  The score is boring.  

I'm enjoying the 3rd one much more though.

The second one? Yeah. The fourth one is just as good, though. At least. It's not like it tries to change the formula or offer you anything you've never seen. It's just a perfect execution of a concept that you love. Cynics might say it's just more of the same. And they would be right. But it's just so much damn fun that I don't care. And it looks awesome too.

Karol - who just finished it this afternoon

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Finally got around to finishing Uncharted 2. I found it to be fairly middling overall. Some individual moments are fun but the endless gunfights get tiring. I didn't particularly like the lead (struck me as a loud-mouth Nathan Fillion wannabe) and some moments felt way too melodramatic for what is essentially a breezy Indiana Jones adventure.  The score is boring.  

I'm enjoying the 3rd one much more though.

Idiot!

I just ordered Uncharted 4 this morning from Amazon (Prime) for £32 and an hour or so later it's in my hands. How the fuck are retailers supposed to compete with that? 

2016 is awesome! 

Enjoy!

I picked up that 2013 Tomb Raider game for PS4. Finished Nathan Drake's latest adventure and needed something in the same vein. 

It's ok. Nothing amazing, though.

Karol

I just bought used copy of that. So can't say that I wasted any money. And it's not a bad game. Just a bit monotonous visually. I get it,a grim and gritty reboot and all. But there's only so much murkiness I can stomach.

Anyway, have you started Uncharted 4?

Karol

Uncharted 4 has been a joyous experience. Naughty Dog has to be one of the best developers in the world. 

Do Uncharted 4's cutscenes ease up any the further you get into the game? I'm reluctant to skip them on the first play-through, but having to wait to get into the thick of the action wasn't a part of the previous 3 games.   

Why would anyone want to skip cutscenes? They are really good and help in forming attachment to characters. Even though those games are really linear and you can't change the narrative I really felt affection for all those characters and the new game develops them further. I actually cared about them.

Karol

Depends on why you're playing the game again. The narrative, acting, and presentation are the reasons to play Uncharted, in my opinion. If you just want some gunplay action, there are better games out there. 

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Do Uncharted 4's cutscenes ease up any the further you get into the game? I'm reluctant to skip them on the first play-through, but having to wait to get into the thick of the action wasn't a part of the previous 3 games.   

I was having an issue with them myself for the first couples of hours of the campaign, I very nearly commented on it here. But they DO draw back a fair bit after a while, they eventually let the player just get on with playing without constant interruption. Thankfully. I had a similar problem with the last game in this regard. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you heard of this game where you can explore billions and billions of planets? Crazy! 

It's been discussed several times in this thread, read this nice post for example

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19752-video-game-thread-ii/&do=findComment&comment=1228135

It's $60, there's no demo, the odds of meeting another living person are allegedly small, and it's very ambitious. I'll wait for it to go on sale around Christmas. 

I won't. No Man's Sky will likely be one of the few games I acquire on the day of its release. I have no qualms with taking a punt on this standard of ambitious design.

34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I've seen some footage from this. Graphics don't look terribly appealing.

Karol

They're procedurally generated! That means randomly placed. There's no employee at Bethesda or CD Projekt Red being paid to place trees and asteroids for days on end.

I would surmise that user mods will create high resolution textures in the future.  

No Man's Sky's functionally stylistic visuals look terrifically appealing to me. Considering they're basically the result of complex algorithms they're very good, actually. 

And of course: gameplay > graphics, as always. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

What do you see, Alex?

Karol

An engine that creates a world as big as our galaxy. It's the first one of his kind. Remember how bad early CGI was? Well, today it makes your Marvel worlds come true. Trust me, soon it will fill those billions of planets with even more superheroes.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Are these the graphics Alex is complaining about?

Crappy 30fps though? Try a native 1080p @60fps demonstration instead.

It's a very impressive game engine.