What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

On 4/8/2016 at 8:18 PM, WojinPA said:

Thanks for the tip, though i was only interested in the origins season pas which fortunately i already got :)

14 hours ago, WojinPA said:

It's strange that the game is on Windows but not Microsoft's flagship console. SOL. 

These timed console exclusives need to bugger off. The Destiny ones are by far the worst - the Xbox crowd have to wait 12 months to get content the rest of us have long since rinsed out, it's bloomin' ridiculous. 

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

For good reason, it's 10 years old!

Once the PS4 Neo is released I'm sure you could find good deals on a launch PS4, if that's in your budget. 

Is it that old already? Didn't you love Journey, Koray?

PS: The Neo is expected for mid 2017

abzu_bois.png

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is it that old already? Didn't you love Journey, Koray?

PS: The Neo is expected for mid 2017

abzu_bois.png

Yes, Journey is a superb game. 

Speaking of timed exclusives, Inside is already heading to PS4 at the end of the month. 

That's my issue with the pricing of these indie dev oddities, especially the console versions. I'm already awaiting the Steam sale copy of Inside. The Witness too on PS4, but not before it drops below a tenner. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I played both Journey and Abzu this week. Both quite lovely. But also bit too brief.

Karol

Your 90 minute play through is well below the average times I've been hearing. Must have blown straight through the ending, mate!

I have no issues spending $15 on a 2-3 hour experience. After all, people do it every weekend at the movies. Games have never been cheaper than they are today; their creators deserve to be paid.

35 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Your 90 minute play through is well below the average times I've been hearing. Must have blown straight through the ending, mate!

I have no issues spending $15 on a 2-3 hour experience. After all, people do it every weekend at the movies. Games have never been cheaper than they are today; their creators deserve to be paid.

Might have been slightly longer than that actually. Two hours seems more like it. ;)

But yeah. definitely recommended. I was sort of tired of violence in games, and plots. It's nice to have something a bit... inexplicable and ambient.

Karol

I definitely think £15 is far too much for two hours of game. I don't care how profound it is or how much blood sweat and tears were poured into its making, I'll only play it once and then I'll uninstall it. If there was nothing else to play in the meantime I suppose waiting for £5 to be knocked off its asking price might possibly have caused me mild inconvenience, but being absolutely spoiled for choice is a real thing at the moment isn't it, so may as well exert that consumer prerogative. The Witcher 3 still refuses to be ejected while all this is going on.  

29 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That's fine, I just don't understand why one medium deserves it and not another. 

For starters, a cinema ticket doesn't cost £15 here. 

Must be nice!

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It took me longer to finish Journey or Flower but I admit I tend to dwell around in environments like that. I also happen to think that is the purpose of those games.

I do as well, but they were also longer games than Abzu.

45 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Must be nice!

I do as well, but they were also longer games than Abzu.

Everything I play takes me twice as long as it ought to because I'm busy soaking the sense of place and admiring the incredible evolution of graphical fidelity, it's a major part of gaming's appeal to me and has been probably since Knight Lore in 1984, when I first began to notice a sense of appreciation for the advances being made. I think this is standard behaviour for anyone of age who was gaming during the leap from the 2D pixels and 3D polygon stages of graphical design. Children born when the PS2 was out have no such concept and just think games which look good and have broad visual content are a given, they take it for granted. 

Another major hold up is the pesky time sink that is sandbox design, but only a relatively small number of games are actually designed to encourage any sort of player experimentation. 

I'm a nook and cranny player, for the most part. I love games with rich environmental detail and am always looking to go off the beaten path of a campaign or mission.

It's why I love Fallout so much. I just walk out in a random direction and follow whatever sidetracks. 

Fallout 4 will be my second 'big' playthrough I'll allow myself this year. I won't exhaust the world but I'll absorb its atmosphere and place as players like to do in those sorts of vividly realised environments. 

One of the reasons I don't like to linger too much on sidequests and sundry in RPGs, particularly open world ones, is that I find it can harm the central thrust of the main quest/storyline, its dramatic course and climax becomes undermined and weakened by all of the other distractions so I try my best to keep that the main focus, as difficult as that can be. I've noticed it with The Witcher 3, which is full of little stories some of which are days of gameplay long. By the time I've returned to the main thread I've almost forgotten what had happened thus far. It has a negative impact overall for me, to 'dilly dally'. 

A friend of mine adores Fallout 4 ... I have it too, but I found the post-apocalyptic environment and the sense that completing it would be a huge undertaking an oddly depressing combination. Dunno if I'll bother returning to it. 

8 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Fallout 4 will be my second 'big' playthrough I'll allow myself this year. I won't exhaust the world but I'll absorb its atmosphere and place as players like to do in those sorts of vividly realised environments. 

One of the reasons I don't like to linger too much on sidequests and sundry in RPGs, particularly open world ones, is that I find it can harm the central thrust of the main quest/storyline, its dramatic course and climax becomes undermined and weakened by all of the other distractions so I try my best to keep that the main focus, as difficult as that can be. I've noticed it with The Witcher 3, which is full of little stories some of which are days of gameplay long. By the time I've returned to the main thread I've almost forgotten what had happened thus far. It has a negative impact overall for me, to 'dilly dally'. 

I get what you mean, but I feel like Witcher 3 might be an exception more than the rule because of its insane size and scope. With Fallout, the main story isn't really what I'm after, it's all the random stuff I run into along the way that I love. Can't recall if you played or enjoyed Skyrim, but they took a lot of the world building from that and put it into the wasteland. Crafting, cooking, repairing, weapon mods, settlement building. All of it optional of course, but it gives a purpose to all the typically meaningless junk lying around the open world. Need rubber to craft something? Now that useless toilet plunger you found has come in handy, etc. 

12 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I definitely think £15 is far too much for two hours of game. I don't care how profound it is or how much blood sweat and tears were poured into its making, I'll only play it once and then I'll uninstall it. If there was nothing else to play in the meantime I suppose waiting for £5 to be knocked off its asking price might possibly have caused me mild inconvenience, but being absolutely spoiled for choice is a real thing at the moment isn't it, so may as well exert that consumer prerogative. The Witcher 3 still refuses to be ejected while all this is going on.  

I bought Journey last week for under a tenner from the Playstation store (it was half priced). And that is exactly the right price.

Karol

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There's some great art directionin that film. You should pay attention.

Trekkies talking about art direction ... What a world!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I bought Journey last week for under a tenner from the Playstation store (it was half priced). And that is exactly the right price.

Karol

Yeah I picked it up in the PS3 sale years ago, forgot to play it and then luckily they later released a remastered PS4 version for free! (to players who already owned the original) 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I get what you mean, but I feel like Witcher 3 might be an exception more than the rule because of its insane size and scope. With Fallout, the main story isn't really what I'm after, it's all the random stuff I run into along the way that I love. Can't recall if you played or enjoyed Skyrim, but they took a lot of the world building from that and put it into the wasteland. Crafting, cooking, repairing, weapon mods, settlement building. All of it optional of course, but it gives a purpose to all the typically meaningless junk lying around the open world. Need rubber to craft something? Now that useless toilet plunger you found has come in handy, etc. 

I'm going to stay away from the crafting and base building because I'll NEVER finish the thing if I start (I'm the sort of person who will disappear into map editing suites for silly amounts of time). Played a lot of Skyrim on PC, modded the hell out of it. But I never did finish it, I always lose interest in Bethesda games. The only things for me which let their RPGs down are the countless repetitive fetch quests and the perfunctory, feedbackless combat. 

The Witcher 3 is littered with those as well, no? I remember doing some side quest which was literally nothing but "bring this to me." It lasted a whole 2 minutes because the item was so close and it got me a whopping 10XP. I was perplexed as to why such a mission even existed. Dead Island was another game that had truly meaningless fetch quests.

I'm sure Bethesda RPGs have their share, but I honestly can't recall anything specific from the past. Fallout 4 has endless "clear out this area" quests for those who are inclined to grind for XP, but the world is so vast that I immediately stopped doing them when I realized the quest line would never end. There are also "defend this settlement from attackers" timed quests that I promptly ignore so I can fail them and have it removed from my quest list. I'm the type that likes to clear out all active side quests before continuing on the main story, an issue I had with Witcher because every time I stopped by a billboard I got like 20 more to do.

The Witcher has a broad range of side quests some of which are tiny XP boosters (easily spotted and ignored) and others which turn into absolutely massive storylines which have an impact. I never feel like I'm fetching items for NPCs in The Witcher otherwise I'd have given up on it ages ago. 

I've got to be honest, but I can understand people now who say "The Witcher 3 has ruined Bethesda RPGs" for them.

None of this to say I'm not thoroughly looking forward to getting into Fallout 4. I'm hoping there's been some evolution in its own quest design. 

Oh I think that's obvious. CD really delivered a powerhouse title that makes Bethesda look like they develop in a vacuum. It'll probably be another 5 years before we see their next game but I'm hoping they take note of games like Witcher 3 and Dying Light, games which are both beautiful and vast. Thing is, neither of those were able to hook me for more than about 5 hours and I'm something like 200 into Fallout 4.

It's Fallout 3 except you can actually use all the junk you perpetually over encumber yourself with. You'll love it. 

2 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Yeah I hope Fallout 4 can finally get me to complete a Bethesda RPG after playing them all. 

Not to discourage you, but my presumption is that you'll have the same outcome in the end. It's really just a refined more stable version of Fallout 3. They also changed the leveling system for the worse, in my opinion. But the quest system is more robust. They took the factions thing from New Vegas and made it a bit meatier by limiting it to 3. Railroad, Institute, and Brotherhood Of Steel. Each faction has its own quest progression that's satisfying and eventually you'll have to pick sides in the inevitable clash. 

I read an article where it talks about the endgame, how it really doesn't matter what you do or who you side with, it railroads you into one of two possible outcomes. I know that sounds like a vague description of New Vegas too, but I really don't want to get it before it's $5 or so. I've played that formula to death with all the previous games that I still get decent mileage from, though I've yet to beat any. 

Well depending on who you side with, you lock yourself out of their expansive home bases. I don't mean to spoil, but I think it's pretty obvious that in a Fallout game you're going to blow something up with a nuke. 

Hmm, well you can in 3. I don't remember doing so in the vanilla game of New Vegas, nor in 1 or 2. I just really have zero interest in base building. Fallout was never about building things before 4, except for the chincy weapon crafting. My mom still has my Legos if I need my building fix. 

It isn't about base building. It's completely optional after an introductory quest teaches you the basics. You can completely ignore it if you want, I just never understood your obsessive need to pick up every last item until you were over encumbered. So I thought this would give you something to do with all the junk, but I guess not.

There's a tab in the Pip-Boy just for your junk items. You can sell them or dump them in your workshop and whenever you craft it'll tell you how many parts you have and what will be used to craft the item you have highlighted. If you need more of a specific part, you can highlight it so whenever you're out searching the environment it'll put a magnifying glass next to an item to let you know it'll give you the parts you're looking for.

Gears and screws, for example, are usually necessary for crafting gun mods and upgrading armor, so I always pick up stuff like watches, desk fans, typewriters, etc. because those items have the necessary parts.

If you're not into scrounging through drawers and cabinets, vendors will have bulk shipments for sale. So you could buy a pack of 25 screws, though it'll cost you hefty caps.

It's very Minecraft-esque, and not something I would typically be into, but I've spent countless hours designing and building up my main settlement. The newest DLC lets you build your own vault! So I've just tipped my toe into that. Previous DLC packs have added a lot to the settlement stuff, so now you can construct machines and conveyor belts, essentially a giant factory, that will produce parts for you over time. That level gets a bit too deep for me, so I haven't really messed with it to figure out exactly how it works.

That's fine. The fan community is essentially doing the same thing by bringing Morrowind into the Skyrim engine for PC. I don't really care about Oblivion.