What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I'm pretty disappointed the previously vaunted 60fps of the PS4 version didn't end up happening in the end (naughty of Sony to display in that frame rate for their version's trailer). But it's 30fps and without any sort of post processing motion blur it looks horrible in motion in the gameplay videos I've seen, the CPUs in these consoles are utter trash! So I'll be getting the game for PC eventually instead, I'll use my trusty Xbox 360 controller. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, what a dangerously misleading clickbait title. 

One developer that has no interest in entering the movie market, though, is Bethesda, according to Vice President Pete Hines. Unless, that is, Peter Jackson – director of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies – expressed an interest in its Elder Scrolls series.

“I think if Peter Jackson turned up at Todd Howard’s office and said, “I want to do Elder Scrolls,” well that would be a pretty serious conversation you would have to listen to,” Hines told Australian website finder.com.au. “

That's like if someone said, "I have no interest in having sex outside my relationship, but if Sophia Loren or Raquel Welch from 1961 walked in the room, that's a pretty serious conversation you would have to listen to." Then you're quoted as saying you want to cheat on your spouse. 

Most hardcore gamers don't care one way or another. I'd love the rumoured Witcher movie to get the Game of Thrones style treatment, but I'm not exactly praying for it to happen. 

It was just a thought I had reading the post above it - not directed at any of you.   I know a handful of people who are super pumped about Assassin's Creed.  Good luck to them!

Nearing the end of The Witcher 3 now, and the last time I played was a hoot! With time to kill the evening before some very serious business the following morning, our hero Geralt of Rivia finds himself in the company of two other Witchers (and old friends of course) and to pass the time they decide to go on a massive bender in the castle! The entire main quest 'mission' was basically just multiple choice ways of getting smashed on ale, and it was hilarious. It was 30 mins of 'gameplay' and it ended with the three brutally hard men wearing ladies garments. Not since the original two Monkey Island games of 25 years ago have I sat playing a game whilst laughing stupidly at the TV. Brilliant!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

25 years ago when you played the Monkey Island games they were on a TV and not a computer monitor?

Why yes, my little wise arse. The Amiga 500+ outputted to my portable 14" TV in my bedroom. 

Mind blown? 

Ah nice, we never had an Amiga. I played all the old Sierra and LucasArts games on an IBM PC with a computer monitor.

Before that, though, we did have a Commodore 64, which I think outputted to a TV (can't remember)

It's an ambitious game; it'll need development time post release which will probably see drastic changes in the coming months until the experience is improved and more rewarding. That's how it is for large scale ambitious releases nowadays, and it's the reason I decided to wait before looking at getting it. 

If the game can be modded or the developers stay active adding stuff, then the game will have legs. I want it when it goes on sale. I don't have the time to throw at it. 

I think adjustments to the economy and loot algorithms will be the first quick fixes which players will say make the game immediately less tedious and more rewarding. Then there will be inventory management/streamlining improvements, UI enhancements etc. Apparently the micromanagement meta is a huge pain in the arse at the moment.

well ,I finished Trails of Cold Steel. It was super long at 130 hours.

It was similar in structure to Final Fantasy Type-0, where the story takes place in military academy of a war torn country. Half your time is spent doing school stuff (side missions and talking to NPC's) and the other half is story related and takes place on the world map and takes you to a new city in each chapter. It was a very slow moving game but the story was interesting and the combat (turn based) had some difficulty spikes, especially bosses.

Now I'm trying something different...Dying Light, a zombie open world game that looks similar to Dead Island. Anyone played this?

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you mean in your personal opinion, or the general consensus of the interwebs?

I like it well enough, but I had expectations in check. It's a game without a purpose, really. Take the material farming and loot management from Destiny and make that the whole game and you'll have No Man's Sky. They even copied the UI exactly. 

5 hours ago, king mark said:

Now I'm trying something different...Dying Light, a zombie open world game that looks similar to Dead Island. Anyone played this?

If you liked Dead Island you'll love Dying Light. It's more of the same but faster and with far better traversal, visuals and general levels of polish. The character levelling side of it is decent too. I finished it and I intend to get the big standalone expansion eventually. 

I like it so far, it's a nice change of pace.Right now I'm just grinding to get that perk that makes your weapons last longer, because it's really annoying they break after very little use

Final Fantasy 15 is delayed 2 months...

Started playing No Man's Sky on PC yesterday. Man, I don't think I've felt this excited with a video game since I was a little kid! I'm having loads of fun just flying around and exploring all the different nooks and crannies. I still haven't left the first system but I might manage to do that today...all I need is some Antimatter! Though maybe I should explore all the other planets first...

Exploration-based 3D platformers are sadly very much a thing of the past.  They're too hard to make good I think.

Yooka-Laylee is very much being marketed as "Banjo-Threeie" but what with it being made by a much smaller team and for much less money, I'm not holding my breath that it'll that good.

It's supposed to include heavy elements of that, plus a lot more. I've followed games like this that promise those concepts for years, but they never delivered. 

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

I only watched the first 15 minutes, but they told me Star Citizen isn't really another game about shooting people in the face. 

But that was the ultimate end game in this demo. They spent an hour walking and flying from one place to another for it to end with one guy getting killed to take over some cargo.

Looks gorgeous, but immensely boring with no character density in the environments. I watched the first 15 like you, and then skimmed through to the parts with actual action. There didn't even seem to be any inventory management, which means the game is literally just walking around. Poor demo! Though I gathered from the banter and audience reactions that this is a perpetual beta type game that never reaches its end goal, like Rich said. 

Nah, I just think you're a bit dense and need absolutely everything in life spelling out mate. Any gamer who watched this video was blown away by the potential but there's this one guy called Koray who said "but what's it for? It looks boring." 

It's PC only anyway, so don't concern yourself with it! 

It probably won't live up to the promise, but damn that planetary landing was stupendous nonetheless. 

8 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

It's PC only anyway, so don't concern yourself with it! 

It probably won't live up to the promise, but damn that planetary landing was stupendous nonetheless. 

Moving on then...

Are you going back to Destiny for Rise Of Iron?

Definitely, I'm really looking forward to having something new to do in the game; although I bet most players burn through the brunt of the content in a matter of days. I only return to the game for its PvP and the very occasional raid these days. Just finished off the Iron Banner this week and now back to The Witcher, which I've almost finished (thank god). 

Are you going to bother with it? 

I haven't decided yet. Depends on how many of my friends go back. I did see one on the other day playing Iron Banner so I guess they're gearing up!

I never really got into all of the content for Taken King, so I have no idea how far behind I am at the moment. 

You're probably a long way behind but it makes no real difference since higher level loot than what you currently have will soon drop in general play and will be sold from vendors so it's never too much work making your characters relevant again. Did you ever do the King's Fall raid? 

5 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Beautiful rendition of John's classic epiphany music there. 

Hahaha, that's too funny. It's a shame they released an incomplete game, and the hype certainly hurt it. It’s still an interesting piece of programming, but this kind of procedural generation can be as much of a drawback as a helpful tool to extend the longevity. I’ve seen a comment that got my attention, the commenter called it “Quantity Over Quality: The Video Game” :D My gut feeling is that they’ve developed this system for generating planets which I can imagine took a lot of time, money and effort for a small indie team, but did not have the time or creativity to decide what to really do with it, so they’ve put some basic survivor elements, some shell of a lore with this center of the universe stuff and the random alien language wordfindings, and they’ve tried to communicate it as vaguely and mysteriously as possible to maintain the hype level. I especially don’t like that they’ve tried to sell it as a “kind-of-MMO”, which turned out to be false at the time. They’ll work on it for sure, maybe it will be like they’ve wanted it to be years ago, but the 60 $ price tag is way too much for it now.

I’m a little bit late to the party, but I’ve been playing Overwatch for the last few weeks, mostly with my cousin as a team, and it really hooked me in. I’ve been playing Blizzard games since the first Warcraft and Diablo, so I had a vision of what to expect, and for me it succeeds at what it’s trying to do. And I especially like the time and effort they’ve put into the lore, the animated shorts, and the general design of it all. I’m a kind of a guy who values some knowledge in a lot of areas more than being a master of only one, so the character pool of the game suits me very much, I enjoy playing the fast-paced flanker Tracer as much as the Russian weightlifter lady Zarya with the BIG GUN, or the angel like support, Mercy. It’s the best when you have at least an illusion of a team, but playing with one partner is still much better than playing solo.

The one thing I don’t like is the algorithm of the loot boxes, it’s overly grind-y to encourage you to pay real money for boxes, but that’s still no guarantee that you’ll unlock the cosmetic that you want, and it has too many duplicates. Fortunately it doesn’t affect the gameplay, so it’s a minor thing, but it can be regarded as a bit of a shady business, especially with the summer games’ cosmetics which you can’t buy from grinding in-game money, you have to unlock them from boxes, and it’s basically impossible to do so by only levelling up and getting the 1 free box per level. I got lucky and unlocked one of the legendary skins that I wanted, two times within 5 levels/boxes :D

What do you think about this and microtransactions in general?

12 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

You're probably a long way behind but it makes no real difference since higher level loot than what you currently have will soon drop in general play and will be sold from vendors so it's never too much work making your characters relevant again. Did you ever do the King's Fall raid? 

No, I don't think I ever did that raid. I remember playing the game a lot in the weeks before the expansion in order to prep for it and then when it actually came out some other new game took my attention away and I never went back. I think the light level then was maxed at 312 or something, and I ended up around 298.

I do miss the way that game handles though. Perfect shooting mechanics.

I played some of Titanfall 2's beta and it cemented my decision to not buy. Maybe down the line for discount to experience the campaign, but the multiplayer felt weirdly floaty and imprecise to me. I don't recall that from the first.

Pity. The raid is absolutely fantastic. The final Oryx battle can be crushingly hard to achieve fireteam synergy on though. If you want to have a crack at it before Rise of Iron I can probably get you in because I think there's a couple of lads in my group who still need calcified fragments from it. 

I forgot to load up the Titanfall alpha but I'll have another chance this weekend. 

On 22/08/2016 at 8:13 PM, SzPeti42 said:

Hahaha, that's too funny. It's a shame they released an incomplete game, and the hype certainly hurt it. It’s still an interesting piece of programming, but this kind of procedural generation can be as much of a drawback as a helpful tool to extend the longevity. I’ve seen a comment that got my attention, the commenter called it “Quantity Over Quality: The Video Game” :D.

Another comment I noticed on the Eurogamer forums was "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle."

What do you think about this and microtransactions in general?

For cosmetics items only I don't mind them at all. Especially if the revenue helps to finance continued support for a game long after its release. Video games are more expensive to make than they have ever been before and I appreciate that publishers need to find new ways to make their investment back. There is however a very fine line between optional non intrusive microtransactions and blatant nickel and diming. I play Overwatch too, and I simply ignore the cosmetic purchases.