What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

They really need to have Dual Shock 4's with better battery life. I always run out of power when playing and have to use it wired. I might as well use it wired all the time

I'm getting a PS4 for Xmas and I'm debating whether to get the pro or just save the €50 and get the regular (which will probably come with a free game or two) edition. 

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means. Rise of the Tomb Raider is my reason for upgrading. The best TV I'll ever play it on is most likely a 32" tv (1080) so I'm not going to benefit from 4K. 

I'm not locking myself off future games by going for the regular version am I? 

Just now, Jay said:

Definitely go for the PS4 Slim.  For the extra $200 the PS4 Pro costs, that's 4 games you could get instead with that money!

Is the difference that much in the states? It's only €50 of a difference here! If it was €200 I wouldn't even consider it. 

For a casual gamer like me the 1TB slim seems to be the best option. €349. Can get a bundle for the same price with a game or two. If I don't want the games I'll get money for trading them in. 

Yeah, definitely talking myself out of the Pro!

Sorry, the difference was the deal I got last week where I got a PS4 Slim for $218 (and it came with Uncharted 4) vs the $399 retail of the PS4 Pro.  I suppose a regular PS4 Slim retails for $299 here or something.

I think it will be a long time until a game is made that ONLY works on the Pro AND is one you really want to play.  In the meantime, you'll have YEARS of exploring the extensive PS4 back-library that already exists on top of all the upcoming games that will work just fine on a regular PS4.

As long as Shadows of the Tomb Raider (or whatever they end up calling it) and the next Elser Scolls game play fine on the slim then I won't be too worried. 

Thanks Jay. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Definitely go for the PS4 Slim.  For the extra $200 the PS4 Pro costs, that's 4 games you could get instead with that money!

This. The Pro ain't worth buying if you're not a hardcore enthusiast and while the Slim still offers such great value for money. 

Not to mention alot of the Pro upgrades for existing games aren't working out too well so far...

The Last of Us Remastered underperforms at 4K screen resolution

Skyrim Remaster on PS4 Pro at 4K sees frame rate stutters

Sony has mandated that games will have zero exclusivity on the Pro over the PS4. There will never be a game that is only playable on the Pro. 

I would recommend getting a bundle on Black Friday instead of waiting for Christmas. For $250 you'll get the slim console and three games. 

5 hours ago, king mark said:

They really need to have Dual Shock 4's with better battery life. I always run out of power when playing and have to use it wired. I might as well use it wired all the time

You only have one controller? Buy this charging station and just swap 'em out whenever the battery runs low.

POWER A DualShock 4 Dual Charger with FREE USB Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IR2W5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KkLkyb1JQC773

I have a NIkko controller charging station and an extra controller (still in box). The extra controller was meant to replace my current one when it breaks

I guess I should use 2

9 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Is the difference that much in the states? It's only €50 of a difference here! If it was €200 I wouldn't even consider it. 

For a casual gamer like me the 1TB slim seems to be the best option. €349. Can get a bundle for the same price with a game or two. If I don't want the games I'll get money for trading them in. 

Yeah, definitely talking myself out of the Pro!

get the pro anyways

And another reason if you use the PS4 as a Blu Ray player the slim has no optical out so no surround sound

Speaking of the regular PS4 Blu Ray player, It took me about a long time to figure out how to output surround even with optical. Even if you set everything in the PS4 main sound menu it won't work. You have to press the OPTIONS button on the Dual Shock 4 controller to get to another settings menu WHILE the movie is playing and select it from there (something like bitstream). Really weird and I never would have figured it out without the Internet

I just charge my one up at the Playstation system when it's not in use, lasts me fine. On the very rare occasion that it runs low (I don't really ever play for more than 2-3 hours at a time), I have an extended USB cable. 

7 hours ago, king mark said:

And another reason if you use the PS4 as a Blu Ray player the slim has no optical out so no surround sound

This is a misleading post!  Optical is a legacy connection that would only be needed if you have an old receiver. All current receivers have HDMI inputs and get full surround from that. 

I can get a 1TB PS4 slim with Ratchet and Clank and LEGO the Force Awakens for €369.99

I'll pick up Star Wars Battlefront and Rise of the Tomb Raider seperately. That'll keep me busy over Xmas. 

I dont currently have surround sound sound so that's no issue. If I ever invest it's going to have HDMI. 

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That's a Koray solution if ever I heard one. The product isn't sufficient? Buy another one and use both!

They saw you coming, didn't they?

What gamer only has one controller? If you play for extended periods of time you shouldn't be surprised that the battery runs low. Your smartphone needs to be charged at the end of the day, doesn't it?

I only have one controller. Local multiplayer isn't a thing anymore for me, so I can't think of a reason why I'd need a second controller. Do you play a lot of local multiplayer Koray? 

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's not an endless runner at all.  Nintendo is a company that puts a lot of care and finesse into designing their games, they wouldn't do something so lazy.

I watched the video, it's an endless runner. 

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

I watched the video, it's an endless runner. 

It literally, by definition, is not.  Endless runners are high score attack games where the "levels" are procedurally generated and you run until you hit an obstacle at which the point the level is over and your score is recorded.

Super Mario Run is about perfecting your run through a meticulously designed, finite level.  When you hit an obstacle, your character is taken back to just before you "died."

To deny that those are different kinds of games is just to be purposefully dismissive to show how little you care about the game, I guess.  Which is fine, but they aren't the same thing.

When they're older I will be happy to accommodate that, in fact I'm looking forward to it. 

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The missus doesnt allow you to have friends over anymore, ey?

Sadly, online gaming services such as Xbox Live and PSN killed gaming as a social activity. I've always lamented that shift actually, but the reality is it's simply far easier to just press a button and have opponents instantly ready to play against instead of making the physical effort to go to someone else's house to do it. I still miss it! 

Whadda'ya know a friend of mine, his girlfriend to be exact, has asked me if I want to sell my PS4 to her for his Christmas present. Working it out it'd mean I'd only have to add another £100 to have enough money for a Pro upgrade. Seems like a no brainer... 

On 11/16/2016 at 2:54 AM, Quintus said:

I only have one controller. Local multiplayer isn't a thing anymore for me, so I can't think of a reason why I'd need a second controller. Do you play a lot of local multiplayer Koray? 

Occasionally when a friend is over. Not often. But I do have 6 DualShock 4s cause I'm crazy. Your joysticks don't wear out over time?

On 11/16/2016 at 2:54 AM, Quintus said:

Occasionally when a friend is over. Not often. But I do have 6 DualShock 4s cause I'm crazy. Your joysticks don't wear out over time?

• 2 weeks later...

Done with Omega Quintet.If you like difficult turn based battles and a lot grinding then play this game

Now I have this game called God Eater 2 remastered for the PS4. It looks like another  Monster Hunter style action game

Here's  the games I plan to go through in the next few months:

1)Finish God Eater 2, borrowed at the library. I don't know if I can stand another Monster Hunter type game though. I already did Toukiden and Ragnarok Odessey and they're all pretty similar and repetitive.

2)Far Cry Primal

3)Final Final Fantasy XV (I want to wait a bit for patches)

4)LOtR Shadow of Mordor

5)Fallout 4

I couldn't get into Shadow of Mordor, was disappointed. I've recently started Fallout 4 on PC, I currently have that feeling of being daunted, like I've just had to make another big time commitment. For me that's the unpleasurable side effect of large RPGs. It passes once I get to grips with all the many systems of course, but still, I wish someone could invent a game like this which didn't require constant menus and item micromanagement. 

Before that I finished Inside, which was brilliant, the final section of which was extraordinary. Made a start on the Titanfall 2 campaign, which I've setup as my breather from Fallout.

Played a few hours of Assassin's Creed Syndicate but got a bit irritated by the worst crowd AI I've ever seen and the imprecise traversal controls, may return to it another time but probably not. A pity, because the London recreation is visually incredible and it feels 'alive', as they say.

What else? Umm, made a start on Fall of Cybertron but not sure if I can be bothered with what felt like a carbon copy of the great but probably good-as-a-one-off original game. Maybe when I've run out of other games I'll carry on with it - oh wait it's impossible to run out of games. 

Oh and I finished Everyone Has Gone to the Rapture, which was another narrative driven oddity along the lines of Dear Esther, but ultimately not as emotionally satisfying as that game. Beautifully evocative on the eyes though, which is always a welcome bonus and can make a playthrough that much more compelling. 

Pretty much all the big RPG's are daunting in the first 20 hours or so when you don't have many abilities, have shit equipment and most of the systems are still obscure or  locked out, but if you oversimplify things it gets boring and shallow in the long run

JRPG's sometimes complicate battle systems to the extreme, but that's part of the fun, when you finally figure out after 30 hours how to unleash that "ultimate attack"

I too couldn't get into the rhythm of Shadow Of Mordor. Tried on two occasions about a year apart and got bored after a couple hours each time. Had the same reaction towards Mad Max. Guess there's something about WB open worlds that don't grab me.

I really like Fallout 4 but it never hit that sweet spot that 3 and New Vegas did in terms of exciting and fun gameplay. Boston never felt intriguing enough for me, though there were plenty of great moments scattered throughout. Also, the new leveling system was a step down from the others, in my opinion, and the available perks never felt like they made a difference to the gameplay. Reaching a new level wasn't something I actively looked forward to, because it ultimately became "Oh okay where do I toss this skill point at? None of it sounds good guess I'll just rank up gun mods." I still have the last DLC to play through.

I absolutely do not think it should take 30 hours to learn a game's mechanics. That's just absurd.

Never had an issue with crowd AI in Syndicate, personally. That was my favorite AC game alongside Black Flag. Really enjoyed it because they finally injected a sense of fun into the characters and stopped being so deadly serious the whole time.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture could have been 10x better if they just simply let you walk faster. Some of the moments in that game were beautiful and the score is brilliant, but I was losing my mind at times where I got lost in some giant area and spent over an hour trying to find my way out walking at a snail's pace. Still prefer it to Dear Esther though, which was too empty for my liking. Much prefer the story representation here. 

I picked up Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Dishonored 2 for cheap during the Black Friday sales, but I've been playing a mix of Watch Dogs 2 and other random games like Telltale's Batman and COD multiplayer.

In AC Syndicate, I found it constantly bothersome ie immersion breaking every time I brutally and often spectacularly murdered an NPC right in front of mindless automated onlookers who would simply react with little gems such as "Ooo, I don't like the look of this.", "what's goin' on 'ere then" and "......*indifference*" (continue on with programmed routine like nothing happened). The systems which govern the AI crowds are wafer thin and completely lacking in sophistication and emergence. I find that a huge distraction and it renders the adventure pointless. 

In Every Has Gone to the Rapture you hold down the right trigger to move faster. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

In AC Syndicate, I found it constantly bothersome ie immersion breaking every time I violently murdered an NPC right in front of mindless automated onlookers who would simply react with little gems such as "Ooo, I don't like the look of this.", "what's goin' on 'ere then" and "......*indifference*" (continue on with programmed routine like nothing happened). The systems which govern the AI crowds are wafer thin and completely lacking in sophistication and emergence. I find that a huge distraction and it renders the adventure pointless. 

I only just learned that the academic term for this is 'ludonarrative dissonance'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludonarrative

Yes, it's a big complaint for the Uncharted franchise, but these are video games at the end of the day. If someone called the cops on you every time you did something illegal the game would cease to be fun, unless that was the primary function of the gameplay. The Mafia franchise is known for implementing stricter "societal structure," where even speeding and running red lights will get the cops on your tail. In Mafia 3, it's supremely annoying that a bystander will notify the police every time you punch someone or steal a car.

And holding down R2 in Rapture doesn't do shit ;)