What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I usually try to avoid watching too much gameplay footage not to spoil the game.

I like to see a minute of it just to get a general impression

it can be played coop and online as options, but the main story is offline solo player. Supposed to be 50-100 hour

Read is was similar to FFXIV but offline

Curling? Nah that's rubbish.

now hurling. That's a different sport altogether. 

Most people agree with "insane Irish" after the arching it alright ?

I'm very impressed so far by Sword Art Online. They created a really immersive and beautiful world and it's easy to  lose yourself in the game. For once there's a JRPG that looks like it should on the PS4 and doesn't look like it could run on the PS2.   The battle system is pretty good and it's challenging so far.

Only problem is I only have it for 2 1/2 weeks so I'll have to rush a bit through it. I have a feeling it's one of those super long games that can take me a month to complete

So I kept closing a game (via the PS and options buttons) and re-starting it about 10 times in a row (because the blacksmith kept failing the upgrade on my sword) and poof, the PS4  crashed and shut itself  off suddenly when starting the game .I guess it stressed the console or the disk  drive and you shouldn't do that. I hope the console is not damaged.

(this game only has autosave and no manual saves, so you really have to close the game completely while in-game if you want to undo unwanted progress. Auto save with no manual save option is one of my most disliked feature in all gaming)

Dragon quest XI looks like what Zelda Breath of the Wind should look like on a PS4

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/16/dragon-quest-xi-field-exploration-ps4-stroll-town-3ds-new-footage/

Don't know if I ever will after reading about how infuriatingly unresponsive the dog monkey can be, and how confoundingly inconsistent the puzzle design is. Oh and it runs like dog monkey shit on the base PS4. 

Final Fantasy (the car one)

I don't really care about Final Fantasy but having played 5 hours or so, it's been very pleasant so far.  Driving back and forth through picturesque fantasy-Americana locations with my gang of boyfriends.  The music is really nice too.  

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

So anyone tried The Last Guardian?

Karol

I have. As a big fan of Team Ico's other two games I was looking forward to it for many (many) years. And I think despite its frustrations, some intentional and others not, I found it to be an ultimately rewarding experience. If you're a fan of Ico and/or Shadow of the Colossus I'd definitely recommend it, but it falls more on the Ico side of design and requires a lot of patience to get the most out of it. 

The score is phenomenal. 

I have it but have been trying to clear off other titles from my backlog before moving forward. Recently beat COD: Infinite Warfare, and it's continuous proof that Infinity Ward knows how to make a proper shooter campaign. The discrepancies in quality compared to the Treyarch games are night and day. Impressive graphics, voice acting, a fine enough story to wrap up the gameplay in and you've got a pretty fine FPS. Still need to complete Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2.

I've most recently played Oxenfree, and am pretty impressed by this little gem. Possibly the only game I know of that adds real value to multiple play throughs in that the story changes and different scenes and endings are unlocked based on previous choices. Hard to clarify without spoiling the story, but it is centered around time looping and alterations. A great aesthetic with its art direction and sound design; and fine voice acting and dialogue choices make this one a memorable experience that doesn't overstay it's welcome at a few hours long. Surprisingly deep and rewarding for a $20 indie. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 2003 Buffy game on the PS2 called Buffy: Chaos Bleeds. I'd like to play this, so I'll have to buy a used copy from eBay. My experience with pre-owned games hasn't been great due to the condition of the discs, but I'll give it a go.

There's a different Buffy game that came out a year earlier in 2002, but it was only on the original X-Box. So if I want to play that game, I'll need to get a whole other console, since I never had an X-Box. I'll have to see if there are any used ones in good condition.

Finished DMC Devil May Cry. Short game like 15 hours .You can re-do levels at higher difficulty or to find all the secrets but I don't see the point once you've completed the game

In these types of games I'm not very good at memorizing elaborate button combos so I end up using the basic ones for the entire game

next up Far Cry Primal

Just wrapped up Mafia III. Sort of indifferent with this one. The open world mechanics are pretty boring. It's a big empty world with no fast travel or anything to do besides drive to your next mission or find collectibles. The standard missions are a chore and the enemy AI is beyond bad. Yet the story and voice acting are great, and the big "murder" missions, so to speak, are fantastic. A case where this could have been a linear third person shooter without any bloat and the end result would have been much better. Mafia II was kind of like that, with a partitioned open world that was only available to you at certain points in the story. Big fan of that one and am glad the new development team continued Vito's story into this one, even if he isn't the protagonist. There's nice closure for his character. 

Anywho, think I'll do Watch Dogs 2 next. 

I'm probably going to try Mafia 3 when it's really cheap, which won't be long. 

Just arrived in Hell in Doom, which takes a surprisingly long time to get there. Game is frickin brilliant. 

19 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm probably going to try Mafia 3 when it's really cheap, which won't be long. 

Just arrived in Hell in Doom, which takes a surprisingly long time to get there. Game is frickin brilliant. 

Indeed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played a Dragon Quest game since the original one for the NES when I was a kid.  Was thinking up picking up 4, 5, and 6 for the DS. 

Got the Uncharted remaster around Xmas. Only played the first one but couldn't get into it. I felt the movement was sluggish and the characters were all super annoying. Maybe it was a bigger deal at the time but I found it pretty lame. Think I wasted €30 

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Unfortunately, the characters don't get any less annoying, nor do the forced, unearned scenes of sentimentality.  

I think you're trying too hard; best to trade it in instead. 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think you're trying too hard; best to trade it in instead. 

But I bought it digitally. :crymore:

I do like some things about it at least.  Many of the individual set-pieces are lots of fun (the KOTCS Jungle Chase level reminds me of those great early 2000's arcade rail-shooters), the graphics are great, and the dialogue is mutable.

As game dialogue goes I really enjoy the Uncharted games in that regard. It has a spring in its step and doesn't take itself seriously at all. I did have issues with the script during the last act of the final game though, but I won't go into it. 

Uncharted 3 is dialogue heavy, so you're gonna struggle there probably. 

The first time I tried it I put it down to having just completed Rise of the Tomb Raider which is obviously light years ahead gameplay wise. Thought to myself that it would be unfair to judge Uncharted off the back of that being a much older game. 

Tried it again at the weekend though and nope. Just stuck on some Ratchet and Clank. 

I think I'm going to play Tomb Raider in between Uncharted 1 and 2, and Rise of the TR in between 2 and 3, if I can find it cheap enough by then.  I dunno what to play between 3 and 4, maybe the Last of Us?

I think the core gameplay of the later Uncharted games blows the recent Tomb Raiders away. The last two Tomb Raiders I did finish, but I found them a chore in their second halves. 

I'm looking forward to checking out the revival. The last time I played a tomb raider game was the original ones on the PC in college