What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

7 hours ago, petaQ said:

Maybe Bethesda believes it's kind of a big deal to celebrate taking players back to the legendary and oft-requested  island of Vvardenfell. 

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14452658/elder-scrolls-online-morrowind-expansion-release-date-price

It's an expansion. If you own the original game, it's only $40. If you buy it bundled with the original game, it's $60. So it won't work without the base game. $100 gets you a box and statue of a Dwemer automaton. 

Actually sounds interesting, making the long walk from Seyda Neen to Balmorra again. But I won't pay a subscription for a game I'd play irregularly. 

My mistake then. 

FYI though, they got rid of sub fees for ESO awhile ago, at least on console. It was the reason I finally picked it up. 

Finished World of final Fantasy and Far Cry Primal

Far cry Primal was the shortest Far Cry yet for me...I beat it in 30 hours. But I still have a map full of icon "sidequests" and collectibles to do. Not sure if I want to

There are difficulty options in Far Cry? Never knew. 

A couple weeks ago I finished up Rise Of The Tomb Raider and a couple of the DLCs. Didn't feel like messing with the replay and endurance modes so I moved on. Didn't like it's cliffhanger ending and the reveal of a bigger plot at play that was nonexistent throughout the whole game. They should make like Uncharted and keep these standalone experiences.

Before moving on to another big game I'm going to try out Murdered: Soul Suspect, which I bought awhile ago on a super sale. 

I'm doing the Far Cry Primal icon sidequests since I'm waiting for a game from the library (Tales of Berseria). About 10 to go.

i might have time to do the collectibles too

I'll do my best to ignore the majority of those. It's a great game so far though, I love how it opens up once you get your first village up and running. On PC it's surprisingly well optimised, so playing it with a 60fps target is an incredibly stunning experience. 

Last night though I did pay attention to one of those icons, and it turned out to be a sort of mini-game in which you controlled a wooly mammoth who has to lay the smackdown on an army of marauding hogs for 10 minutes. It was the worst piece of gameplay I've endured in recent memory. Even worse - after completing it the icon still remained on the world map! Pfft... 

17 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'll do my best to ignore the majority of those. It's a great game so far though, I love how it opens up once you get your first village up and running. On PC it's surprisingly well optimised, so playing it with a 60fps target is an incredibly stunning experience. 

Last night though I did pay attention to one of those icons, and it turned out to be a sort of mini-game in which you controlled a wooly mammoth who has to lay the smackdown on an army of marauding hogs for 10 minutes. It was the worst piece of gameplay I've endured in recent memory. Even worse - after completing it the icon still remained on the world map! Pfft... 

actually, some icon missions turned out pretty good. You should at least do the  "villlage missions" and "cave missions".

Just tame a Saber tooth tiger early in the game and it's pretty powerful to kill enemies and you can ride it to travel fast

If free to play didn't make money in the long run, they would not do it. I appreciate mobile gaming because my Playstation stopped working when I tried to play on the toilet, and my Xbox kept getting stolen when I tried to play on the city bus. Cell phone gaming changed my life forever. 

mobile and portable gaming is bad as a whole

A lot of the JRPG's I play are ported to PS4 from a PS vita version and they could have been so much better if they had been developped for the PS4

World of Final Fantasy is an example. It was made for both platforms but I think there were lots of compromises in the game to accommodate the PS vita version, like no 3rd person camera for exploring the environments

1 hour ago, petaQ said:

If free to play didn't make money in the long run, they would not do it. I appreciate mobile gaming because my Playstation stopped working when I tried to play on the toilet, and my Xbox kept getting stolen when I tried to play on the city bus. Cell phone gaming changed my life forever. 

Mobile gaming grossed roughly $30 billion in a market comprising of nearly 2 billion cell phones. The console space did about the same with about 200 million consoles. App stores peddle to the lowest common denominator and that's where free to play and micro transactions were born from and now bleed into the console and PC space, which are getting littered with trash games that no one wants to play. Almost half of all the games available on Steam were released in 2016. Not an impressive trend. 

1 hour ago, king mark said:

mobile and portable gaming is bad as a whole

A lot of the JRPG's I play are ported to PS4 from a PS vita version and they could have been so much better if they had been developped for the PS4

World of Final Fantasy is an example. It was made for both platforms but I think there were lots of compromises in the game to accommodate the PS vita version, like no 3rd person camera for exploring the environments

The Vita is a great device and completely separate from the mobile gaming industry. You just want better graphics for JRPGs. 

All I'm saying is that if I ever decided to put video game console investment style money into mobile gaming, equivalent to a $300 system and five or six games at $50 apiece, kill me. Just fucking kill me. A few free games or maps from my Google Rewards money, sure, because it's not real world money. 

I'm utterly mystified and enchanted by Far Cry Primal's staggering open world wilds, and the way it feels like gaming's first real digital ecosystem in the first person view. The simulation is just amazing. Easily the finest Far Cry game to date (an overrated series anyway if you ask me, at least after Crytek's original); and the best streamlined Elder Scrolls adventure Bethesda never made. Progress has been slowed down greatly simply because I can't stop taking snaps, some of which I'll share later. On PC it is eye wateringly beautiful to behold, and these hi res images are probably taking up and fair amount of drive space by now. 

I was playing it on the PS4 and it looked pretty good

now I'm playing Journey since I got it free from PSN. Not really sure what I'm doing so far or if you can even save your game so I guess I have to finish it

I think I  have to make my scarf longer by collecting thingys to fly more distance...but it doesn't really matter since the game is already over

did this actually cost money to play ?

yes, it's on my list

But this next 2 months there's an avalanche of titles I want to play, the most concentrated RPG months in memory:

Tales of Berseria

Gravity Rush 2

Nioh

Horizon Zero Dawn

Witch and the Hundred Knight 2

NIER Automata

Atelier Firis

Personna 5

Mass Effect Andromeda

Shiness, The Lightning Kingdom

Toukiden 2

Dark Souls 3 DLC

So i came up with this trailer fo a cancelled (but finished) Rogue Squadron Trilogy Game, for the Wii.

It's me or after John Debney's Lair, Factor 5 thought it would be great to go fully orchestral for the game's soundtrack?

If it is not true orchestra, it is a really good synth. It Would be a disgrace that a cool orchestral Williams derivative score could be stored in someones harddisk without ever seeing the light of day :(

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Easily the best PS4-exclusive alongside Uncharted 4. It's big, beautiful, fluid with just enough weight to the gameplay to make it feel excellent to play. Not unlike Guerilla's gameplay from the Killzone series, but much more refined and smooth for an action-RPG. Love the art direction and sound design; graphics are superb. Score is nice in places but the heavy action riffs can get grating in a long fight. It's challenging even on Normal, and there's the right amount of collectibles to not make it feel too overwhelming (i.e. Ubisoft). Leveling and crafting are standard fare and in line with Far Cry. One annoying and questionable mechanic is that fast travel is considered an item that needs to be crafted or bought in order to use. With an open world of this size, I've been currently putting skill points into being able to call a mount at any time to make point A to B less of a grind. Some of the dialogue is awkward and poorly written/performed, but the story itself is really interesting and engaging. If you own a PS4, buy it!

I'm going to wait a while before I get stuck into that one since I'm still playing Primal at the moment. Horizon looks great though, looking forward to it. 

Skimming over that Kotaku Switch review, it's worrying to me that he says Zelda's performance takes a major hit whenever it's played in its dock plugged into a tv. That's shocking! 

I'll be keeping an eye out for Digital Foundry's forthcoming analysis, which ought to be fascinating. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Quintus said:

I hate crafting in games, it's mundane as fuck. 

Not a fan of The Last Of Us? ;)

Inventory management is an OCD gamer's dream! Honestly though, don't most games that involve crafting let you bypass it completely? Bethesda RPGs are rife with it but it's never required to accomplish anything. 

After about 20 hours I was starting to find Far Cry: Primal a little repetitive, so I'm having a break from it. I've gotten back into GTA 5 again, though this time I'm on the PC version (I'd originally started it on PS4 when it came out but got distracted). Amazingly detailed sandbox and still unparalleled in terms of sheer things to do. 

Far Cry Primal took me 38 hours to complete everything except the collectibles. It was a short game by my standards

do you ever finish the games you start?

I always play until I see the credits at least, and only one game at a time

I trial quite a few games via demos and really cheap Steam sales. I'd say I finish about 20% of them, or another way of putting it is I only see the end credits to games that really engaged me on multiple levels. For eg: a game might be highly polished mechanically, but the motivation to progress isn't supported by captivating mission design. Or the story setup might be intriguing, but the core gameplay itself isn't fun, or it feels same ol' same ol'. I need everything to be just right in order to stay interested. 

The vast majority of releases aren't worth my time. 

You should also bear in mind that I only get the opportunity to progress further maybe 2 hours at a time, 2-3 evenings per week. 38 hours in Primal seems like nothing to your marathon sessions, but to me 38 hours is a real leisure time commitment to get through. 

Holy shit take a look at these stunning video game pixel art gifs:

https://imgur.com/gallery/XZPfG