What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I tried playing the first Wolfenstein reboot and couldn't get into it.  So drab and boring.  Felt like a mediocre 2007 shooter.  Duke Nukem Forever is better

Duke Nukem Forever is one of the worst games I’ve ever played. Surely, you can’t be serious?

The New Order has a poor opening but if you push past the prologue it is an incredibly rewarding game. 

I'm playing Rockstar's Cowboy Simulator™ and every time I hit pause it's a goddamn work of art.

DyPC68E.jpg

zVVSYTn.jpg

rpSL9Ly.jpg

HmZvRkx.jpg

57Gx4II.jpg

hjN56r0.jpg

XQ2EK17.jpg

P4S0Ru8.jpg

tuzoh1o.jpg

f3MOYmb.jpg

This is going to take me a long time to finish.

Duke Nukem Forever was immersive because it, like Duke3D before it, permitted the player to use a toilet. This level of unprecedented immersion was, um, ... unprecedented. 

I saved them until way towards the end since nothing important was gated behind them.

In early game they smoked my ass. When I came back late game I had so many power ups it was relatively easy. 

I just redid it again and again until the proper reaction to every telegraphed attack became muscle memory. The hardest was to stop myself from moving, because on their downward attack they stayed down longer than expected, so I kept walking into them after getting a hit in!

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Duke Numen Forever was like a fun old 2006 game. The Wolfenstein remake was like a boring old 2006 game

Idiot!

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's not even a question in this case, hence why I called it a simulator.

Sarcasm. I even put the emoji in there for you, c’mon man!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Idiot!

Sarcasm. I even put the emoji in there for you, c’mon man!

Sorry dude, at the time I was typing with one eye still buried into my bed's mattress 😪.

Anyone else check JWFan while lying on their front, arm down the side of the bed?

Here's an interesting article about Silent HIll 2 speedrunning, RNG puzzle generation, and the ethics of knowing the latter to increase your performance in the former

https://kotaku.com/speedrunners-baffled-by-mysterious-stranger-sending-sil-1837073855

Count me in as a person who's mostly baffled by the massive popularity of speedrunning. I mean for a game like Super Mario, sure, but Silent Hill 2? I feel that's like having a luxurious silk cloth and using it to clean the toothpaste stains and shaved hairs from your bathroom sink.

I didn't know the puzzles were randomly generated, though, which is cool. To this day, the way the game calculates how you play hasn't been fully figured out, I want to say, which is amazing for a game near 20 years old now.

I remember after I beat the game being very satisfied with the ending I got, and after watching the others on YouTube, thinking, "Man I'm glad I didn't get those endings, they suck." Then my friend beat it, got a totally different ending than I, was very satisfied, and said that he saw the ending I got on YouTube and hated it. 

So however the game does it, it's uncanny apparently. 

Yea I didn't know people did speedruns for these kinds of games either, but in the end I guess you can speedrun anything

Speed running is an impressive subset of the industry. It’s incredible the dedication and time people put into learning every centimeter of a game to maximize time. People find ways to break and glitch through in crazy ways. I have zero interest in it but whenever I come across speedruns I’m always amazed. 

Speed running is just another type of gimmick play. 

I just watched a fifteen minute video of a guy who beat Skyrim using a torch as his only offensive or defensive weapon. Along with vegetable soup for its long-lasting healing abilities. Pretty cool. 

I don't; understand for the life of me why you'd want to do that.

Main problem in FFXV so far is I can;t find a control scheme I like They reversed the dodge and attack button from the usual position (here O to attack and square to dodge??)  so it's like playing without the Y axis reversed for me. And Lock On target has a weird 2 button system that makes it useless

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I don't; understand for the life of me why you'd want to do that.

To prove that it's possible. Some people love old games so much that after eight years, they still look for ways to make them interesting. 

Other people play as many games as they can, exactly one time through, and then never think about them again. 

We all have our own gimmicks. 

Still haven;t mastered the Final Fantasy XV combat after 20 hours. I was playing it like a straight action game like Dark Souls but it felt wrong then I read I should treat it as a turn based game that "looks" like an action game. The dodge roll doesn't dodge anything for example , it's just there to reposition

it's very confusing but I'm getting there

https://wayforward.com/wayforward-reveals-official-title-and-new-details-for-shantae-and-the-seven-sirens/

@Nick Parker

THE LACK OF A RELEASE DATE IS TORMENTING but I am relieved it's coming to PS4. Being heartbroken at Hollow Knight's sequel being Switch-exclusive was quite enough!

Time limited exclusive. It'll come to all other platforms in a few months. 

Speaking of Shantae I almost started on the plane... Then went back into Hollow Knight instead. I finally beat the second Trial at the Colosseum! 

3 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

https://wayforward.com/wayforward-reveals-official-title-and-new-details-for-shantae-and-the-seven-sirens/

@Nick Parker

THE LACK OF A RELEASE DATE IS TORMENTING but I am relieved it's coming to PS4. Being heartbroken at Hollow Knight's sequel being Switch-exclusive was quite enough!

Hell yeah! I'm a lot more excited for this one than 1/2 Genie Hero, being a Kickstarter game really held it back from attaining its full potential. 

So how are my HOLLOW KNIGHT peeps doing?

I beat the game a while back but only the bad ending, and I've been going back in here and there to head towards the betting endings.  Since beating it, I've

-Gotten the final nail upgrade

-Gotten the final charm notch

-Gotten the final vessel shard I was missing

-Finished another mask and now have 4 mask shards needed to get the final mask

-Gotten half of the Kingsoul (from the White Lady)

The toughest things I've done since beating it are defeating Hive Knight, Grimm, Traitor Lord, and the second Trial at the Colosseum.  All of those bosses took many, many, MANY attempts!!  The easiest thing was beating all 7 Dream Warrior Battles, I dunno why I put them off during the main game (well, maybe they wouldn't have been as easy then)

So remaining for me to do to get the good ending is awaken my dream nail at 1800 essence (I have 1590 right now), head into the White Palace to get the other half of Kingsoul, get the Voidheart and beat Radiance

Remaining bosses I can collect essence from are Failed Champion (tried to beat him a few times last night, he's tough!), Zote (ditto!), White Defender, Soul Tyrant, or Lost Kin, the latter three of which I haven't even encountered yet.  Anyone have any opinions on which of these 5 options is easiest?  Beating any one of them will get me to 1800 essence.

Then I have to decide if I want to do any other post-game shizz, like

-Freeing all the grubs to get Grubberfly's Elegy (I probably have a dozen left to free)

-Defeat the Enraged Crystal Guardian to get a mask shard (I thought his initial version was super tough at the time!)

-Delicate Flower quest for a mask shard

-Some more Grimmchild stuff and whatever else comes with that (something about a Carefree Melody?)

-The third trial at the Colosseum

Any opinions on which of those is most worth doing?

Took what was supposed to be a short excursion sidequest on my way to another destination and now I'm in way over my head with these people. I didn't sign up for this sort of work!

2y2OICK.jpg

On 8/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, Jay said:

So how are my HOLLOW KNIGHT peeps doing?

I beat the game a while back but only the bad ending, and I've been going back in here and there to head towards the betting endings. 

None of the endings matter

Spoiler

because none of them involve saving poor Myla. :( 

(In seriousness, I haven't gotten any ending yet and am in no rush to. I just like to explore aimlessly and tend to accomplish things purely by coming across them. I recently discovered the coliseum though and might delve into that when I feel like dying horribly)

I wish the setting for Final FantasyXV was a bit more exotic and Fantasy-ish. The open world looks like various locales from North America with country music playing as underscore.

it's the crappiest Final Fantasy music I've heard, even though it seems generally praised

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

I wish the setting for Final FantasyXV was a bit more exotic and Fantasy-ish. The open world looks like various locales from North America with country music playing as underscore.

it's the crappiest Final Fantasy music I've heard, even though it seems generally praised

Wasn't that the whole point of the game and how it was marketed for years leading up to its release? To break up the mundane "exoticism" of the series' previous Super Fantasy setting? 

I can't comment on the game specifically, but in general Shimomura > Uematsu. Count my general dislike for the latter to be another reason I was lined up for my coworkers' firing squad back at the Big N.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

:eek2:

I'll be honest that she's not my favorite, either, but for the amount of sheer prolificity she's done some very good stuff, and maybe even some great stuff. I love her score for Super Mario RPG.

I dunno man, Uematsu has so many bangers in his career, and Shimomura has some good stuff but nothing quite as legendary as what Uematsu did for Final Fantasy alone

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno man, Uematsu has so many bangers in his career, and Shimomura has some good stuff but nothing quite as legendary as what Uematsu did for Final Fantasy alone

I feel like a lot of times Uematsu's "legendary" stuff just isn't up to snuff for me. I mean kudos to him that he found something that obviously worked, but his voice just isn't that compelling usually. What's frustrating is there a few tunes I'll hear from him that hint at a far more interesting dude, but then whoosh it's back to the usual. And really, outside of Final Fantasy, what does Uematsu _really_ have? A cover band fulfilling some rockstar fantasy of his playing really softcore and milquetoast versions of tunes he wrote for the series decades ago?

He's not a _bad_ musician, just not one that perks my ears up 99% of the time.

But fuck One Winged Angel.

32 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

outside of Final Fantasy, what does Uematsu _really_ have?

His cues for Chrono Trigger and Front Mission: Gun Hazard are great!

It was supposed to be a solo Mitsuda score but he developed stomach ulcers working on it, so Nobuo Uematsu ended up doing 9 cues and Noriko Matsueda did one too.

Uematsu did a bunch of important cues like the Boss Battle music, the Bike Chase, and this absolute banger

His style for the cues blends in perfectly with Mitsuda's style, and you'd never know who is who just by listening to the album

Then their next score for each of them was a full collaboration, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, with Uematsu doing 29 cues, Mitsuda 24, and then 4 cues each by Junya Nakano and Masashi Hamauzu

Just like Chrono Trigger their styles blend so well together you'd never know who's who when listening to the album.

Uematsu did some fun jazzy stuff