What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

New Star Wars game coming this year. It'll be a multiplayer focused on dogfights:

I’d rather a story driven single player 

This is probably just a slight extension of BFII17's Starfighter mode and I wasn't much of a fan of that. Actual gameplay please.

I quite like it! My only qualm would be controlling Vi's beemerang can feel pretty clunky sometimes. 

Other than that, it's been a thoroughly delightful ride! It's been especially surprising how much it improves on the original Paper Marios, in ways I never realized were issues with those games to begin with! Like how you can take on more than one sidequest at a time (rather than needing to abandon one for the other as it was in the Paper Marios), or how keeping it to three main party members keeps the game design so much more focused than Paper Mario having eight when you're only going to bother using Goombella and Vivian most of the playthrough anyway. 

Those developers are so lucky they got their game out just before the actual new Nintendo Paper Mario entry

Haven't tinkered inside a PC tower for ten years, but I finally dedicated an evening to upgrading my motherboard and CPU to one of those sexy Ryzen chips. Fuck me my PC feels reborn. Dishonored 2 @60fps is soooooo much better than the deathly sluggish PS4 version. 

5 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I quite like it! .... it improves on the original Paper Marios, ...Like how.. keeping it to three main party members keeps the game design so much more focused than Paper Mario having eight when you're only going to bother using Yoshi most of the playthrough anyway. 

fixed. ;)

It seems Miles Morales will be decent sized.

UPDATE: Contrary to earlier reports, Spider-Man: Miles Morales will reportedly be a standalone spinoff game similar to Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Shortly after Bloomberg reported that, a Tweet was sent out from Insomniac confirming it's a "standalone game," not DLC/an expansion pack.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/spider-man_ps4/spider-man-miles-morales-is-not-a-spider-man-sequel-and-is-instead-just-an-expanded-remaster-a176002

2 hours ago, The River (Fal) said:

fixed. ;)

I remember his attack being pretty weak though...maybe I didn’t use him properly...

I like all the party members as characters though. Well, except maybe Flurrie..

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

I have nightmares of PC gaming. Maybe due to post traumatic stress disorder of my PC gaming days

I always imagine you to be thinking PC gaming is still exactly like how it was back in the Windows XP days 😂

Finished GRIS for the second time, for all the achievements. Love it.

nW6mH4N.pngNcYP1zU.pngkL70s0t.pngEIP9Bck.pngWZXHJdg.pngwC1kP50.png

Fantastic looking soothing abstract casual platformer with great music depicting

Spoiler

the 5 stages of grief

, integrating the mechanics and visuals very well into that theme. If the above screenshots tickle one's fancy, it's worth a whirl, it's done in below 5 hours. Maybe get in in one of the 90.000.000 Steam sales per year.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, Bilbo said:

It’s one of the greatest pieces of media I’ve ever consumed but I’m a bit iffy on some of the spoiled story directions from the sequel so I think I might hang on for a bit and see what general players make of it.

Fuck it, the reviews are too positive, pre-ordered. 

Holy fuck do I not regret this! I’ll finish the game tomorrow but up to now... 🥺 the critics got this one right. Phenomenal game. Builds on the last one but is definitely it’s own thing. It’s harrowing though. It’s a tough play through. Crash Bandicoot it ain’t! 

9 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Hmm, I don't want to play a hard game.  Skip

He means emotionally and thematically tough, not difficulty.

The game probably has the most accessibility options ever in a video game. The experience can he customized and played by anyone. 

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He means emotionally and thematically tough, not difficulty.

The game probably has the most accessibility options ever in a video game. The experience can he customized and played by anyone. 

Indeed. There are oodles of difficulty settings to suit anyone’s taste and I’m sure a grounded mode will be added in a future update for the masochists out there. 

Finished it today. Fuck. 

Anyone here playing The Last of Us - Part 2?

The game arrived today here at my house, and I'm pretty eager to start it. Problem is, my brothers will play it as well, so I'll need to be extra careful when passing through the living room when they're there playing it.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone here playing The Last of Us - Part 2?

21 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Holy fuck do I not regret this! I’ll finish the game tomorrow but up to now... 🥺 the critics got this one right. Phenomenal game. Builds on the last one but is definitely it’s own thing. It’s harrowing though. It’s a tough play through. Crash Bandicoot it ain’t! 

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Finished it today. Fuck. 

Heh, they're making a sequel to the retro-ized Bloodstained spinoff game that came out before the full real game

Sound effects reminded me more of Ninja Gaiden than Castlevania

I just finished The Last of Us 2. Damn.

Don't believe the review bombers. This is a very worthy successor and companion piece. Everything is bigger. The gobsmacking visuals, the massive world-building, the gore and the gutting character turns (it's much bleaker than the first). For the most part, I think they made all the right moves here. And I like how they could make a simple revenge plot as rich and complex as they did. I did think the pacing hit a bit of a snag in the middle, and I could have used less of the gratuitous dog-shooting. But I don't have much else to complain about. As a story, it can't compete with the brilliantly simple Joel/Ellie premise of the first film, but it clearly knows that and manages to do its own thing. And like its predecessor, none of ideas here are necessarily very original. I mean the zombie genre was already at the end of its rope when the first game came out. But the storytelling is just so damn good, none of that matters.

I don't game much at all, but I'd come out of the woodworks more often for stuff of this quality.

56 minutes ago, KK said:

a story, it can't compete with the brilliantly simple Joel/Ellie premise of the first film

56 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't game much at all, but I'd come out of the woodworks more often for stuff of this quality.

My hypothesis stands!

1 hour ago, KK said:

Don't believe the review bombers. This is a very worthy successor and companion piece. Everything is bigger. The gobsmacking visuals, the massive world-building, the gore and the gutting character turns (it's much bleaker than the first). For the most part, I think they made all the right moves here. And I like how they could make a simple revenge plot as rich and complex as they did. I did think the pacing hit a bit of a snag in the middle, and I could have used less of the gratuitous dog-shooting. But I don't have much else to complain about. As a story, it can't compete with the brilliantly simple Joel/Ellie premise of the first film, but it clearly knows that and manages to do its own thing. And like its predecessor, none of ideas here are necessarily very original. I mean the zombie genre was already at the end of its rope when the first game came out. But the storytelling is just so damn good, none of that matters.

Yes! Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too. 

3 hours ago, KK said:

Don't believe the review bombers. This is a very worthy successor and companion piece. Everything is bigger. The gobsmacking visuals, the massive world-building, the gore and the gutting character turns (it's much bleaker than the first). For the most part, I think they made all the right moves here. And I like how they could make a simple revenge plot as rich and complex as they did. The pacing hit a bit of a snag in the middle, and I could have used less of the gratuitous dog-shooting, but I don't have much else to complain about. As a story, it can't compete with the brilliantly simple Joel/Ellie premise of the first film, but it clearly knows that and manages to do its own thing. And like its predecessor, none of ideas here are necessarily very original. I mean the zombie genre was already at the end of its rope when the first game came out. But the storytelling is just so damn good, none of that matters.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s 25 hours long. Much bigger than most linear action games. 

I think the first one was about 15 hours by comparison? Part 2 definitely isn’t a short game. 

124 hours into FF 12 Zodiac Age

Trying to clear all the side contents. This is  a HUGE game full of stuff to do.

I spent the whole night in an unmapped secret area and had to draw a map by hand on a piece of paper to find my way.

yeah I did that but didn't find a good one  at first so I drew one myself (Great Crystal)

this is the one I should have found

The-Great-Crystal.png

The Last Of Us Part II

The first game is one of the best ever made, in my opinion. Its narrative, characters, combat, and set pieces are all woven together masterfully to deliver a stunning experience. Part II attempts to expand on that, and succeeds in many ways, but also takes it further than was necessary. The game is bloated at the roughly 28 hours it took me to beat it. The narrative isn’t strong enough this time around and the pacing isn’t tight enough to warrant the play time. But some stellar moments still shine through. The fidelity and animation are top notch. It’s very similar to Red Dead Redemption 2 in how grounded the movements are. Every moment feels weighted and the combat still packs a great punch. I just wish it was more finely condensed. The first game was about 15 hours and had bigger set pieces and stronger character arcs. There’s probably a solid 15 hours in this game too, but it’s stretched out over an extra 10 that wasn’t necessary to achieve the end goal of the narrative. 

Finished Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age. 140 hours over 3 months ( I wasn't in my gaming groove and didn't play more than few hours at a time). I liked this game more than FF XV even though the structure was similar and graphics more dated. Most of the time played is the sidequests, optional hunts and grinding to make craft weapons.  But the "secret" stuff is way too hard (and nearly impossible) to figure out by yourself. It was made in the days where they expected you to buy a guide. It's too bad because if you don't google anything you'd miss about half the contents. There's supposed to be an ultimate boss somewhere but I gave up.

Now I'm starting Dragon Quest Builders 2. I liked the first one quite a bit.

Recently (well, recently-ish at this point), I did something with my PS4 I hadn't actually done yet since buying it... I actually played it.

I picked it up a few years back intending to play it (the Uncharted Games and the Last Of Us being the primary reason for wanting it, plus to catch up on cross-platform franchises that interested me like the Tomb Raider reboots, Batman Arkham games, maybe some MGS).  Well, I never found the time and had really only used it to play DVDs and BDs for a long while.

But back when the pandemic started and Sony gave Journey for free to PS4 owners), I set up a store account to grab that, and ended up downloading a bunch of demos while i was in there and checked those out before playing my first actual full PS4 game (more on that in a bit).

The demos I checked out were:

In the Lab: DOOM (2016) – 3rd Voice Gaming

Doom (2016)

I am old enough that I remember anticipating the original DOOM as a new game (after anticipating Wolfenstein 3D, after being a fan of Commander Keen), and played a ton of the original Doom, Doom Ii, Final Doom, etc back in the day.  I was intrigued by Doom 3 in 2004 and made sure the computer I was getting around that time was powerful enough to play it.. then never actually played it.  I heard so many good things about this reboot of the franchise (and Doom Eternal) that I was curious about it, so was happy to see a demo existed so i could play it.  Well, I dunno, I thought it was a mixed bag.  I kind of enjoyed the super-fast paced, hectic nature, it was fun just charging in blasting away baddies (as opposed to say a duck, cover, and snip style of some other similar games), but the melee moves you had to do to finish them felt kinda unnatural, and using a controller felt like it wasn't the "right" way to play it, it felt like keyboard+mouse would be better.  So I've kind of lost interest in checking out the franchise (or the recent Wolfenstein reboots) - maybe I'll give them another chance when my backlog is way smaller.....

Catherine: Full Body Localizers Talk Trans Controversy and the ...

Catherine: Full Body

Ehhhhhhhh I dunno about this one.  I love a good puzzle game, and aren't opposed to a weird sexy storyline that wraps around it, but I didn't really find the puzzling to be all that fun or rewarding.  Like as I made my way through the first level, I just constantly felt like I was randomly stumbling on the right solutions.  I never felt like I was outsmarting a tough situation, which a good puzzle game can make you feel.  I think i gave up halfway through the second level in the demo and have no regrets.  Oh well.

FINAL FANTASY VII Remake - First 45 Minutes Gameplay 4K HDR (PS4 ...

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Holy crap, I loved this!  I haven't actually ever played the original game (I was a Nintendo kid), but have always wanted to, and have been very curious about this remake.  I've fallen in love with the soundtrack, so it was cool to play this and put the music in context.  The first thing that threw me for a loop was the casual swearing, like people just throwing out shits and f bombs.  I'm sure that's just standard fare for modern gaming, but I have been out of touch with non-Nintendo modern games for about 2 decades until recently so it was just kind of weird (especially since all the old Final Fantasy games I grew up with were super clean).  Anyway, I wouldn't say that I necessarily fully grasped the combat system, but it was fine (and I'm sure easy enough to learn in the full game).  The graphics were incredible, looked awesome in 4K on my TV.  I had no idea motion capture was used so extensively in modern gaming, and it really helps immerse you in things so much more (too bad everyone still has lifeless eyes).  I can't wait to pick this whole game up once it's available for twenty bucks, it seems like a really cool story with cool characters.  The demo ended in a weird place, after escapting from the exploding reactor it kind of cut mid-walk into a hodgepodge cutscene of random scenes.  Oh well.

Additional demos I downloaded but haven't checked out yet:

Resident Evil 2 remake

Resident Evil 3 remake

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

I can’t get through the first Uncharted game. It has the worst controls and camera of any game I think of. It’s PS2 quality. I know it’s an early PS3 game but still. Could have been fixed in the remaster. The series picks up with the second one apparently.

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. Cliches with some very clunky dialogue but the landscapes are breathtaking.

Heh.  Uncharted 1 was going to be the next game I played after The Last of Us, but then I decided I didn't want to play two Naughty Dog games in a row so I checked out Journey and now I'm playing Life is Strange.  After that Horizon will be next for me, I recently came across some footage and thought it was breathtaking and the combat looks like a blast

I mentioned several pages back that anyone looking to make a "start" on Uncharted could really do with skipping to the second game. The first one wasn't particularly special even when it originally came out, but by now it is mechanically and visually quite crude and the moment to moment gameplay would likely feel quite annoying.

Recently I've played:

Dishonored 2

Prey

Resident Evil 7

Many hours poured into all three of these titles over the past month or so. But I lost interest in each and haven't finished any of them, bored by the run-of-the-mill played it all before systems. This is probably inevitable after 30+ years of gaming, but I still try to find something new(ish) and engaging.

I do believe I'm growing tired of gaming (and this bothers me).

31 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Prey

Resident Evil 7

Aw, you didn't enjoy these? I'll admit, I cooled down on Prey after I completed it, but I enjoyed it a lot as I went through it. Granted it was the first game of that ilk I played in a while.

But Resident Evil 7 is a favorite of mine to this day. So it was the gameplay that turned you off?

When I bought it (thankfully very cheap on Steam) I didn't realise that the game is largely a sneak in the shadows affair where the playable character is mostly helpless against the essentially invincible chief assailant. Outside of the Arkham series I've never been a fan of stealth sections in video games and so basing an entire experience around hiding and surviving just isn't my forte. I prefer traditional survival horror, where you get to blow the zombies/creatures away - permanently, and where one is not constantly stressing about ammo conservation.

Well this is good news for me since I just finished Shantae 4 and was trying to figure out how to play 1 and 2!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I mentioned several pages back that anyone looking to make a "start" on Uncharted could really do with skipping to the second game. The first one wasn't particularly special even when it originally came out, but by now it is mechanically and visually quite crude and the moment to moment gameplay would likely feel quite annoying.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I can’t get through the first Uncharted game. It has the worst controls and camera of any game I think of. It’s PS2 quality. I know it’s an early PS3 game but still. Could have been fixed in the remaster. The series picks up with the second one apparently.

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. Cliches with some very clunky dialogue but the landscapes are breathtaking.

For a 13-year old game, Drake's Fortune holds up incredibly well, in my opinion. Bluepoint did a fantastic job on the remaster, bringing it up to par visually with the other installments. It's not a long game by today's standards; how far are you into it, Bilbo?

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

When I bought it (thankfully very cheap on Steam) I didn't realise that the game is largely a sneak in the shadows affair where the playable character is mostly helpless against the essentially invincible chief assailant. Outside of the Arkham series I've never been a fan of stealth sections in video games and so basing an entire experience around hiding and surviving just isn't my forte. I prefer traditional survival horror, where you get to blow the zombies/creatures away - permanently, and where one is not constantly stressing about ammo conservation.

The older Resident Evil games were like that, too, though: I played Resident Evil 2 for the first time a couple years ago and if you got liberal with ammo, you'd be screwed pretty damn quick, usually for the rest of the game.

Also, those stealth sections are more setpieces than anything:  I think there are maybe three sections in the game where you have to sneak around? In general I think that trend of the invincible baddie you have to avoid is one of the lamer ones in video games (damn Amnesia), but in 7 it's a little more colorful, and is contrasted by sections where you get some arsenal to really knock some fools out. Of course, as with most survival horror games, there is always that push and pull of picking your battles wisely.