What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

You ever notice how many people on this forum like to judge people for spending their money (and/or time) on different things than they would?

That's the fun about it!

I will say, if you want to throw a ton of money at a smaller project that you think is really cool and believe in, I can get behind that. 

The thing I don't understand, and it's not to say anyone's evil or stupid for it, is physical versions with tons of goodies of upressed games i.e. Episode 1 Racer, Turok, etc. Isn't it more appealing to track down original copies of the games if you're a collector?

Again, no judgement. I just don't get it myself.

Just like many people on this forum want every film score they would like to own to get pressed to CD and refuse to buy a digital download, some people here also only want to buy physical video games and refuse to just buy them in the eShop

Yeah, but when it's basically just the same thing released on a new platform for the convenience of people to not have to dig out their old stuff or go on eBay....

But again, they're still in business so it must be working. There must be tons of people. Not that that means I GET it, but I also don't get vinyl at all, and that's a big market for some reason.

I don’t like buying digital material if I can avoid it. I always always always prefer to have something physically. Digital media is never something you can say you own the way you own physical stuff. Digital rights can be taken anyway! 

46 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Digital media is never something you can say you own the way you own physical stuff. Digital rights can be taken anyway! 

I'm too far into Steam to go back on all that collection, but I mostly only buy digital stuff when it's a proper download. Not when it's just streaming rights or locked into an app.

I dunno if that played a major factor.  The base game was already a PS4 (timed) exclusive, and they already committed to doing a graphic upgrade for the PS5, which anyone who owns the PS4 version gets free on PS5 (they just have to pay for the DLC).  Anyway, I'd imagine they developed the entire DLC chapter specifically with all the enhancements and changes the PS5 version brings with it, instead of simultaneously developing it to work on both.  Any new development or changes they do going forward are likely to only be for the PS5 version - and Part 2 of the remake will surely not come out for PS4 at all

19 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

That and nobody has an Xbox anyway. 

I think Jay and Silver were talking about it being exclusive to PS5 instead of it being on both PS4 and PS5, not about it being PS in general exclusive?

I dunno who the "They" is you are referring to (me?) but yes - FFVII Remake is a timed exclusive for PS4; It will eventually come to other consoles and PC, but for now can only be played on PS4.

You can of course also play it on a PS5, and the DLC announced yesterday will only be playable on a PS5, not a PS4

But presumably eventually when the game goes to other consoles and PC, the DLC will be there too

Just finished Cyberpunk 2077 for the second time this week, now with a female character with a different background and skills.

It was a mixed experience. On one hand, I did got to make a lot of quests I didn't make on the first time, and I could enjoy more some aspects of the story. On the other, I've encountered way more bugs and glitches this time (some of them hilarious, others infuriating).

Also, the depressing and opressive atmosphere of the game eventually got a little tiresome, considering I didn't had a break between my first and second characters. At some point in the game, I was just tired of it.

I still think it's a great game, with a fantastic story, and also that you should wait for CDPR to properly fix it before buying it. Maybe wait until the version for next-gen consoles are ready. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno who the "They" is you are referring to (me?) but yes - FFVII Remake is a timed exclusive for PS4; It will eventually come to other consoles and PC, but for now can only be played on PS4.

You can of course also play it on a PS5, and the DLC announced yesterday will only be playable on a PS5, not a PS4

But presumably eventually when the game goes to other consoles and PC, the DLC will be there too

I almost bought the game yesterday after the State Of Play because I thought it looked cool enough and figured it was as good a time as any to jump in. Glad I didn't, because Sony just announced it as one of their PS+ games for March.

So any subscribers can now get the base PS4 game for free and only have to pay for the PS5 upgrade, if they like.

EDIT - Just read that the PS+ version isn’t eligible for the PS5 upgrade. 

Forever Entertainment to publish 'multiple remakes' from a Square Enix IP

These are the guys who did the recent remakes of Panzer Dragoon and are also working on a remake of The House of the Dead

I wonder what Squenix IP they're doing - Chrono Trigger/Cross? Star Ocean? Lufia?  Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle? Parasite Eve?

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Forever Entertainment to publish 'multiple remakes' from a Square Enix IP

These are the guys who did the recent remakes of Panzer Dragoon and are also working on a remake of The House of the Dead

I wonder what Squenix IP they're doing - Chrono Trigger/Cross? Star Ocean? Lufia?  Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle? Parasite Eve?

Square Enix own Tomb Raider and its its 25th anniversary this year. Several remakes could be remakes of the original 5 PS1 games?

6 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

(I somehow never knew there were more than 3 on PS1)

Yeah, there were 5!

PS1 era

TR I

TR II

TR III

Tomb Raider the Last Revelation 

Tomb Raider Chronicles

PS2 era

Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

Tomb Raider Legend (First reboot)

Tomb Raider Anniversary (this is a remake of the original game that fits in with the new timeline created for Legend)

PS3 era

Tomb Raider Underworld

Tomb Raider (second reboot)

PS4 era

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider recently and I really liked it. I thought it was better than Rise, which was pretty boring . 

That’s the opposite of the common consensus. 

Agreed.

It's a weird thing. I can and have gone into hyper specific detail about why I like Mario 3D World more than Mario Odyssey, because I'm so familiar with the series, but for Tomb Raider it's a different story.

I played through two and a half of the new ones once. The first game was interesting and entertaining enough to finish. The second was exciting and hard to put down, and for the third something just didn't click and I keep stopping whenever I try to play it. I can't exactly tell you WHY I have such a hard time playing it, but when you feel that way, I guess you just know there's something wrong there.

How did a game like Doom Eternal do? I adored Doom 2016 but haven't had much motivation to play a sequel this soon. I know they were four years apart, but it seemed like there wasn't anything new in Eternal to bring me back in.

Tomb Raider hasn't been Tomb Raider for decades. It's an overproduced action adventure now; completely departed from the eerie lonely isolation of those deep polygonal crypts and lost catacombs of the original adventures. Now everyone has to have pages of dialogue and there's endless exposition. 

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Agreed.

It's a weird thing. I can and have gone into hyper specific detail about why I like Mario 3D World more than Mario Odyssey, because I'm so familiar with the series, but for Tomb Raider it's a different story.

I played through two and a half of the new ones once. The first game was interesting and entertaining enough to finish. The second was exciting and hard to put down, and for the third something just didn't click and I keep stopping whenever I try to play it. I can't exactly tell you WHY I have such a hard time playing it, but when you feel that way, I guess you just know there's something wrong there.

How did a game like Doom Eternal do? I adored Doom 2016 but haven't had much motivation to play a sequel this soon. I know they were four years apart, but it seemed like there wasn't anything new in Eternal to bring me back in.

I love TR13. I love that mix of ancient civilisations but with ruins of ships and planes from different time periods littered throughout the island. It felt very natural and the story was very good. 

Rise just kicked everything up a notch. It looked better (it did jump a generation to be fair) and the story was very interesting. Again you had the mix of ancient and modern with the soviet stuff. 

Where Rise felt like two steps forward, Shadow felt like a step back. The graphics weren't as good as it's predecessor and they share the same basic story. The Trinity story line was also rushed to a conclusion and felt very underwhelming after the set up in the two previous games.

I enjoy them all but Shadow is definitely my least favourite. It isn't Angel of Darkness levels of bad but it was just a let down after the previous two games. 

They've talked about unifying the timelines going forward with the next game so that will be interesting. I wonder if it'll be a soft reboot or we'll see the same Lara from Shadow just a decade or so older. 

The point of this new trilogy was to show her younger, right? So there shouldn't be much of a conflict, is there?

I don't even pay attention to the stories. The game just wasn't fun to play for me. It's as basic and simpleton as that for me.

Anyone played Beat Saber in VR? On the Oculus version you can mod it so that custom songs work and I've been getting my arse kicked by JW's Superman March, but it's so badass to play I don't care. I will master it eventually!

The Mandalorian is particularly cool too.

WHAT THE F**K

Final Fantasy VII  Remake FREE on PS+ this month!

And Remnant from the Ashes another game I wanted

I was literally installing the FFVII Remake physical disk edition I borrowed at the library when I saw it. I hope I don't have to re-download from PSN it to play it without the disk after it finishes installing from disk.

Edit :no ,I have to delete the game and re-download it from PSN if I want to play it disk free .Damn that's so stupid.   85GB that's  almost my monthly broad band limit

At least it was only a loan. Think about all the people who recently bought it full price. 

I have till June to get these PlayStation games played, before my Plus sub expires. 

I am still flabbergasted people have "monthly limits" on how much internet they can use at their homes in 2021.  I've had unlimited bandwidth for... 5 years?  More?

I do wonder if he's simply on some ancient plan and never even realized there are far better options available to him now

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I do wonder if he's simply on some ancient plan and never even realized there are far better options available to him now

My parents live a few thousand feet outside where cable and DSL are options. They use satellite internet, which has monthly data download caps, and dial-up upload speeds. 

They do not game, but mom does want her Discovery+. 

I got them on Elon Musk's waiting list.