What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Ah, then the calming affect of Safe Rooms is lost on you then, which is a shame. Sometimes you just can't beat the relief of reaching one and hearing the soothing "you're going to be okay now" piano melody quietly tinkering away in the background as you gather yourself together and regroup, heal and consider your next move.

I rather appreciate the psychology behind that particular progress securing game design. It's anything but redundant.

Note how they are the only ever utilised in survival horror games...

Yeah I know what you mean. I got those feelings a lot in The Last Of Us when I reached large loot areas. It doesn't help that survival horror is essentially dead. Dead Space is guns blazing action horror.

I finished The Last of Us recently. What a game. An incredibly gripping experience. I don't game a lot, but I love stuff like this.

You referring to the Winter chapter with just Ellie? Yeah, that was definitely my favorite part. I thought the narrative design of that chapter was brilliantly executed. The direction they took helped bring the game to another level. Things got dark fast.

What system are you on? If you loved this you would adore the Uncharted games.

PS3. I might give Uncharted a go at some point if I get some more free time,

You definitely should. I'm a very inconstant gamer myself, but the UC series is fantastic. I'll have to play it again at some point.

Yes I agree.

One of the main characters died during Valkeria Chronicles and it took me several hours to get over it. It was worse than any sad scene that I'd seen in any movie

You definitely should. I'm a very inconstant gamer myself, but the UC series is fantastic. I'll have to play it again at some point.

Definitely. Uncharted is great!

But I was still surprised by how powerful and immersive the emotional journey The Last of Us was.

I'm wary of it, because I feel like there isn't much to do with the formula at this point. It's a first for Naughty Dog to make a 4th installment in a franchise and to continue one cross-generation.

But then again they're by far the best game developer of the past 7 years.

Nintendo hasn't been relevant in my home since the catastrophe that was GameCube. Valve and Irrational are up there, and I'd throw up Bethesda too. Not familiar enough with Bungie and the Halo franchise, but they're certainly well made games. Destiny is their first non-Halo game, correct?

Nintendo has designed many fantastic games in the past 7 years. The systems they are available on is irrelevant when discussing the game design.

For Christmas I was given a new Xbox 360 to replace my old one which burnt itself out after a fine 7 year tenure.

Who wants to be a dear and talk my incompetent self through the necessary steps to access stuff on my old hard drive with the new machine, assuming that's even possible? If it's not I may be beaten for claiming it was a worthwhile investment and I'll have to surrender it to the younglings.

I think the Wii U will be declared a failure sometime in the next couple years, and then there will be a strong possibility that Nintendo will not make a system to compete with the PS5 and XB4 in the next generation, and will instead start licensing their games out to those other systems, like Sega did. If they do, I hope they also do some HD remakes of their Gamecube and Wii-era (and DS and 3DS era) games for those systems.

It was a failure before it even came out. Once they stop ducking about with motion controls as peripherals and make a current gen system they'll make some money.

The shysters at Microsoft have made it so that simply snapping on an old hard drive to a new machine is impossible. They're internal now. Sooo I have to fork over $20 for the special transfer cord.

I played 150 hours, finished the main quest and all the scripted sidequests..I consider it finished

But If I hadn't sold the main game I would have played the last expansion

What the hell. Not only do I need the cord to transfer hard drive contents, I also need a bigger hard drive? Why do they do this? Just to take advantage of people who don't pay attention to what they buy because they assume there's no BS like this involved?

My old one was one of the originals. Worked like a charm for like 7 years or so, slowed down a bit lately, then finally gave warning signs of... burning.

I'm way too frustrated to deal with the new one now. I'll regroup tomorrow and probably end up getting an external hard drive for it and the cable to transfer my old stuff. :kaboom:

I lost my Skyrim save games in October. Fortunately I had gotten bored with the game thirteen months prior, which is bad because by then, all my loot stashes were forgotten. Now that I have a decent card, I'd like to revisit it with some serious mods installed.

The stuff that I find at the beginning of the game, I sell for money to buy training in all the skills I'm too lazy to learn through grinding. When does the training become useless?

You need to get some skills to 100 so it takes a while..

I broke the game crafting too powerful equipment. A good way to play would be not to use the crafting system, just the special weapons and armor you get in quests

I'm going to play Record of Agarest War 2. ..obscure JRPG. I'm not sure there's even a guide online. I played the first one 2 years ago

I exploited a glitch in Skyrim that maxed all my skills to Level 100. I had already poured 150 hours into the game and completed everything so I decided to be the scourge of Tamriel. When I returned to the DLC it made combat harder though. Dragons seemed tougher than ever and I don't even want to imagine what fighting that super invincible guy is like.

and I don't even want to imagine what fighting that super invincible guy is like.

I was wondering if my super weapons would be enough...

I did that in Morrowind and played for a whole 7 years as a totally untouchable character. And it was still incredible.

I'm surprised you had the patience to play it that long without mods! The number of cliff racers in the game makes it almost unplayable. Fortunately, simple mods to reduce their numbers exist.