What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I still don't care about trophies and achievements

It feeds my OCD. I go after them, but thy usually go hand in hand with my enjoyment of the game. If there's something I'm not a huge fan of I won't keep playing and doing extra stuff for the trophies.

I loved my achievements and gamerscore on Xbox, but the Playstation trophies don't have anything like the same allure. One reason is because they are still a pain to look at Playstation compared Xbox, where your latest ones are accessible instantly with a single button press. I can't believe they still need synching on PS, as well as rooting for first.

Rooting for first?

I like how they recently added the option to display specific trophies. If you have a bunch of games with 0% you can make it so they don't appear on your profile. I don't like how they got rid of the alphabetical sorting though. I also swear they don't load properly on PS4 as I recall some games not even being listed when I first looked through the list.

Searching for.

When one pops you have to go through a serious number of steps via the menus to find out what you just did to acquire the trophy. And then you have to wait for the synch to complete. It's a drag and I can't be bothered. I won't follow trophies on this system.

On Xbox the achievement pops and you simply hit the guide button and it gives you the details immediately. Minimal gaming interruption.

If they updated the Playstation to do the exact same thing with the PS button I'd suddenly become interested in tracking trophies.

I played some Shadow Fall online the other day with a friend and really enjoyed it. After refamiliarizing myself with how BF4 handles I was actually able to play this one without any of the normal issues I used to have when I predominantly played COD. Still kinda suck though, but I blame that on the godawful look of the whole thing. The game looks like early PS3 graphics and the motion blur they add negates any benefits of the 60fps.

Really? You need your eyes testin, it looks fantastic! (and technically is on the visual cutting edge, even by pc standards). I think It's an even better looking game than BF4, which is saying a lot. I've always loved cinematic aesthetics and dramatic, exaggerated avatar feedback, so post processing effects such as motion blur are a big yes to me.

One of the main reasons I play it is because like Halo, KZ has a very unique feel which can only be found in its series. Now people either love that style it or hate it, which is fine. I like that unlike CoD and BF it isn't just another generic military shooter. There is depth and twists on fps gameplay conventions worked in because of the sci-fi gadgetry which those games obviously don't have.

If you want to keep the frame rate locked to 60fps btw (as well as feeling far less overwhelmed by the sheer amount of moving threats) stick to Classic Warzone, which is only 7 vs 7.

I took a beating on KZ for the first week and very nearly gave up and traded it in for Assassin's Creed, but I took some good advice and stuck with it another couple of days, endured the pain.

Now I absolutely beast on it! Game is amazing online. But it's HARD to be good at.

I've always liked Killzone. I'm the only person I know that actually bought the PS2 original and has been playing them from the beginning. This one just doesn't look as good in terms of aesthetics, which is ironic since its the current gen.

Well, I strongly disagree about that. I think It's absolutely stunning.

I've always liked Killzone. I'm the only person I know that actually bought the PS2 original and has been playing them from the beginning.

But you've always been a campaign guy haven't you in that regard? I only buy Killzone for its multiplayer. The campaigns, sadly, are a bit meh.

Yes and no. I like my games to have a healthy balance between its campaign and any online features it may support. I think it's a downward trend where developers make the single player experience an afterthought to the multiplayer. That being said, I typically partake in both sides of the coin when it comes to FPSs. As opposed to something like Assassin's Creed where I've never even thought of entering the multiplayer menus, or Uncharted in which I've played very little.

I used to play local multiplayer on the first KZ all the time. The bots were a pretty decent and hilarious challenge on the highest difficulty setting, and I played 2 rather extensively, though I felt the weight and grandeur of your moveability was a bit too much at the time. The series took a serious downfall with 3, I thought. Hated the campaign and didn't really get into the multiplayer. I feel there's some truth to the "saying," I play what my friends play. There was never a strong enough community among my gaming friends to keep Killzone interesting for long periods of time. I can see myself getting into Shadow Fall though, especially if DICE don't get their shit together.

In trying my damned best to get my brother and friend hooked on the multiplayer. Because I've only ever played KZ alone unfortunately. It's true that it has a small but loyal community, but to me that's very much part of the appeal and why I'll try that extra bit harder to discover why there's appeal there at all.

In my own experience the smallest but most fiercely loyal online multiplayer communities and their games are the best.

In trying my damned best to get my brother and friend hooked on the multiplayer. Because I've only ever played KZ alone unfortunately. It's true that it has a small but loyal community, but to me that's very much part of the appeal and why I'll try that extra bit harder to discover why there's appeal there at all.

In my own experience the smallest but most fiercely loyal online multiplayer communities and their games are the best.

I just enjoy playing with friends. I can't get past more than a handful of games on my own. Also has to do with the teamwork aspect. My teams always suck unless I have at least one or two people to back me up.

Record of Agarest War 2 has incredibly convoluted battle systems. It came with an "old school" 40 manual and believe me you have to read it a few times (actually study it).I didn't know what the hell I was doing for the first few hours

I guess it explains the poor reviews, and it's one of those RPG that you can get "stuck" in if you didn't read the dialogue or forgot what a character said.Sidequests have no logs and you have to memorize them. You can even get lost on the map which is rare nowadays

Hey Steef and Alex! Does this not stir the imagination...

I'll be able to re-enact Firefly, be the captain of my own boat! Or you could advance yourself all the way up to Picard status!

Here's the full kickstarter pitch (after the trailer):

Ambitious - there will even be realistic planetary landings!! - but from what I've seen so far I'm really bloody impressed.

I keep thinking Hornist is replying to my posts because of your avatar. I don't know what it is, but in mobile view the tiny thumbnail justs seems to make the same shapes as one of Pasi's avatar jpgs. It's the grey colours or something.

So yeah, for the time being you are Hornist whenever I glimpse at the board.

You excited for Dark Souls II? Apparently they have a new engine, motion capture, sound effects... the full monty.

Yes, of course. I'll be waiting to see if there's a PS4 release...that might be my trigger to buy next gen

I keep thinking Hornist is replying to my posts because of your avatar. I don't know what it is, but in mobile view the tiny thumbnail justs seems to make the same shapes as one of Pasi's avatar jpgs. It's the grey colours or something.

So yeah, for the time being you are Hornist whenever I glimpse at the board.

I'm fine with that. The bastards hot!

Hey Steef and Alex! Does this not stir the imagination...

I'll be able to re-enact Firefly, be the captain of my own boat! Or you could advance yourself all the way up to Picard status!

Here's the full kickstarter pitch (after the trailer):

Ambitious - there will even be realistic planetary landings!! - but from what I've seen so far I'm really bloody impressed.

Wow that would be fantastic. And would assure that I never do anything else but play it.

You excited for Dark Souls II? Apparently they have a new engine, motion capture, sound effects... the full monty.

Yes, of course. I'll be waiting to see if there's a PS4 release...that might be my trigger to buy next gen

Yeah I was gonna pre-order for PS3 but decided to hold out for a port.

While I watched the first video, I felt this game is like a serious update for Wing Commander, a game I once played on PS1. And in the second video, there is Chris Roberts! It's a small world/universe!

The game looks impressive but it could be rather difficult in terms of flying these ships. It says it's a PC game. Is PC still a serious platform in the game market?

Alex

Yeah I was gonna pre-order for PS3 but decided to hold out for a port.

I hope it's more than a port. I'm waiting for Diablo3 on the PS4 also.

More than ever, I'd say. Steam really revolutionised the market. Now, almost every single new release has full native controller support 'out of the box'. The Steam platform has really pushed for that stuff, hassle free gaming, auto patching etc. That's a major part of the appeal for someone like me.

I'm a console gamer first, but PC gaming is easily just as enjoyable to me nowadays.

When's the next King's Quest game out? I just beat my third Zork last night, and I really am thinking about trying Rebel Assault but I don't know if my video card can handle it.

No clue. I was just being sardonic.

I think Quint needs to tell me what new games I ought to be playing, so I can get with the times. Or maybe we should trade Steam names, so we can schedule transatlantic play dates.

Wojo, you didn't play the King's Quest games back in the day? I'm disappointed! What about Space Quest, Police Quest, or Quest for Glory?

You say too bad, but somewhere, Quint is pleased I ignored the urge to play the old Sierra games. But he knows that when the Sierra games were current, I was playing games that were older still...

No clue. I was just being sardonic.

I think Quint needs to tell me what new games I ought to be playing, so I can get with the times. Or maybe we should trade Steam names, so we can schedule transatlantic play dates.

It appears you have taken offence over my perception of your gaming habits. Dunno why, but sorry. I can only go off the info you have given me all these years.

I'm not taking offense at this. I want to know what games I ought to be playing. I don't like multiplayer online military shoot em ups because I'm not any good and I don't want to be slave to a play date schedule with other grown men. I play on my own time, and it's usually an older game that I never made time for before.

Right now, New Vegas has my gaming attention, simply because I was unable to play it when it was current. And I'm not wasting server time or space or preventing a teammate from playing something current in the process.

On the last Steam sale, I did buy two games. One is the DuckTales remake, which isn't bad. The other is Kerbal Space Program, to dabble and crash my spaceships into Earth. Case in point: I don't have a handle on the button that separates stages, so I jettisoned my command module when I was still 65 km above the earth. I was still able to maneuver it through boosters and return my three Kerbals for a safe water landing.

Slave to a play date schedule? Wtf you on about? Lol!

What games did you have in mind when you bought that beastly gfx card? And which ones have you actually played? Duck Tails would run off your onboard chip.

New Vegas, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, for starters. My motherboard has no onboard graphics.

What I find curious is this idea that purchase of a $8 Nintendo remake somehow takes space away from a more worthy new game in my library. It doesn't, it's just a cheap indulgence I bought for my nostalgic side.

If you and Koray want to play Battlefield or Call of Duty together, you have to schedule something because of the transatlantic time difference. None of my friends still play games on PC, as they either have families now or feel they out grew them or simply are console exclusive.

Koray just happened to invite me to his party and I accepted. It was casual and unplanned. Where are you getting these other ideas from? You seem to be awfully sensitive over this lark.

Plus you don't need to have Steam installed to view the information. I can see a lot on myself from just a Web browser, as I wouldn't dare installing Steam some places.

To clarify something Quint said that I let slide, the DuckTales remake requires a graphics card that can handle Pixel Shader 3.0 with 512+ MB display memory. I don't know exactly what onboard graphics chips have that, only that when I built my system about five years ago, no i7 mainboards had onboard graphics. A Nintendo emulator to run the 8 - bit title needs much less power, but this game isn't the old version. The graphics are far more detailed, and X360 controller support is flawless. I bought the game to support and legitimize the efforts of the team that did the conversion, so they are inspired to do more conversions. Anyone who buys soundtracks from the specialty labels can see why.