What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

No reviews yet, but I expect it to be a bigger and better game than DA2. It's supposed to be an open world game like Skyrim

ok, doing Witch and the Hundred Knight, which is kind of a Japanese Diablo

Still haven't finished Alien: Isolation on PS4. Quite a long game, but I can understand it may outstay its welcome for some people, because the game is so slow paced (which I have no problem with) and built around the idea of completing objective after objective (in the style of 'before you can enter room A you need to find the door B to find a way around C and find key D so you can finally open the door to A). And then the next set of objectives. And all that while either the alien is creeping about or rogue androids keeping you on your toes. The formula does work for me at least and the game is highly polished from an audio-visual standpoint. It really does make you feel you're in that cold bleak universe trying to stay alive. It becomes a bit easier once the flamethrower is made available, because as we all know it's afraid of fire, but not much else...

Are there no windows or airlocks on Sevastopol? Seems all you'd need to do is punch a hole in one like Resurrection or open the door, and bye bye xenomorph. It'd also make for a very quick game.

I want to, but I see a lot of flack on the forums about how they're not the Collector's CD versions, they're the older ones, or something like that. I'm not really sure who to believe. I own both Collector's and non-Collector's versions of both games, so I'm more interested in finding a way to get those copies working through DOSBox than re-buying both games again. I bet there has to be documentation online as to how to get it work. Yes, it'll probably force me to get one of my joysticks out of mothballs if it doesn't support the X360 gamepad. I don't really have the time at the moment to devote to either of these, though.

i tried them.

Yes it seems the Windowns versions are the updated collector's editions of the games. (Collector editions from 1995 revamped in 1998 with XVT graphics)

The DOS version of TIE is the true originals from 1994 + defender of the empire, ie TIE fighter opening intro does not have Superstar Destroyers. It does not feature Battles 11, 12 & 13 (The second expansion pack since it was exclusively part of the collector's edition)

Hmmm. That's unfortunate. Maybe I should just emulate Windows 98 and play whichever versions I want to that way, Collector's or originals. So far the only game that really excites me out of this batch is Fate of Atlantis.

I remember alt+tabbing into the level editor for TIE Fighter, so that if I got fed up with a level, I could disable the lasers on whichever capital ship was bugging me. Cheating? Big time.

Yes it seems the Windowns versions are the updated collector's editions of the games. (Collector editions from 1995 revamped in 1998 with XVT graphics)

The DOS version of TIE is the true originals from 1994 + defender of the empire, ie TIE fighter opening intro does not have Superstar Destroyers. It does not feature Battles 11, 12 & 13 (The second expansion pack since it was exclusively part of the collector's edition)

So what exactly are people criticising? The Windows versions are the full SEs and the DOS versions are the full DOS versions? Is there anything I'm missing here?

So what exactly are people criticising? The Windows versions are the full SEs and the DOS versions are the full DOS versions? Is there anything I'm missing here?

No, at least in TIE fighter, the DOS version is missing the second expansion, enemies of the Empire (Thrawn kiicks zaarin's butt) because it was a bonus from the part of the collector's edition. So you couldnt fly the missile boat in 1994 graphics.

No, at least in TIE fighter, the DOS version is missing the second expansion, enemies of the Empire (Thrawn kiicks zaarin's butt) because it was a bonus from the part of the collector's edition. So you couldnt fly the missile boat in 1994 graphics.

I still don't understand. It seems you're saying that the second expansion was never released for the original DOS version? Then how is it missing here?

I'm pretty sure I've played the gunboat in the DOS version though.

Missile boat is the last available craft in the game, created by Thrawn to fight the TIE Defender. But I checked and in was in the Defender of the Empire expansion, my mistake.

The game had three versions. The 1st floppy one, released in 1994, which had one floppy expansion, Defender of the Empire.

Then it was re-released on CD-Rom in 1995, the "Collector's edition" with the original game (with an enhaced opening sequence, more dialogue, etc) along with the Defender of the Empire expansion plus one new expansion, Enemies of the Empire. It was compatible with win95.

Then in 1998 it was released a Special Edition with X-Wing vs TIE fighter engine.

The GOG version of the DOS game, is just the original game + 1st expansion without any of the enhancements the collector's edition had.

I hope that finally clears it :D

I believe I own then the Collector's and Special Edition of each game. I will still hesitate before buying either GOG version, as I have not tried to emulate Windows 98SE in Windows 7.

Shit, there's a known game crashing bug in my game and I get randomly kicked out to the PS3 menu screen

The makers haven't been able to patch it

It's really annoying because you can;t save anywhere

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare

For the first few days I was immensely enjoying this one. I barely played multiplayer in Ghosts so it was my first time foraying backing into the franchise since Black Ops II. The online is pretty great. The exosuit really changes things up in terms of verticality and one-on-one confrontations. It has a nice weight to it and doesn't feel cheap in that it requires good timing and spacial awareness to utilize effectively. What I'm slowly starting to not gel with, though, are the weapons. None of them feel great, and so not even a week later I'm not in the mood to play it. The campaign was fun; better than anything Treyarch churned out but not amazing. Really fantastic motion capture work too.

Ah well, back to chasing that 30 then.

I bought CoD too, it's really good online and feels like it has much greater depth of gameplay than previous entries (sci-fi gadgetry and traversal tends to have that effect), but I haven't played it since the day after it came out. Because Destiny.

I have no desire to return to Destiny. You saw me playing with a second character before. That's how bored I got wih it lol. I'm also essentially level 30. All I need are the raid gauntlets to hit it and considering how uselessly random the loot system is I don't feel like playing the Vault Of Glass every week to try and get them.

Assassin's Creed Unity on Tuesday. Far Cry 4 a week after that. I'll be plenty busy.

I'm also planning on picking up a ton of games on Black Friday. Alien: Isolation, Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor, DriveClub, to name a few. All depends on what goes on sale.

I don't play games I'm bored with when I'm bored, I won't make a second (or third) character. I'll play till I get my final armour piece and then... argh shit the DLC will drop.

Went on CoD for a bit last night, to show my brothers the game. The connections online are currently an absolute train wreck, so I'm going to allow them a month to sort it out. I hope they do or its gone.

I don't play games I'm bored with when I'm bored, I won't make a second (or third) character. I'll play till I get my final armour piece and then... argh shit the DLC will drop.

Went on CoD for a bit last night, to show my brothers the game. The connections online are currently an absolute train wreck, so I'm going to allow them a month to sort it out. I hope they do or its gone.

There no other games to play! ;)

I haven't had any online issues so far.

Completed Alien: Isolation today ! Great game, even if the ending falls a bit short.

But what an experience !!!! One I will happily go through again. Brilliant setting, atmosphere, sound and graphics.

There is also a survivor mode: new maps with a set of objectives to complete with a time limit.

And I also have 2 DLC to go through, scenario's that are apparently set on the Nostromo. Awesome !

And here is the beast in all its glory:

ai_1280.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the combat system employed in the Fallout games (3 & New Vegas). It feels flat and a bit clunky.

I love the turn based system that Dragon Age and KOTOR employ. Dragon Age 2 was too much of a departure from that.

I'm not a huge fan of the combat system employed in the Fallout games (3 & New Vegas). It feels flat and a bit clunky.

Those games absolutely absorb me in their world and pass the time like nothing else... I'm actually going through New Vegas right now.

I can understand it can feel dated in many areas, but that has never been an issue with me, for me it's about the world, how it's presented, and how deep the character building is.

It's the Bethesda template and exploring their worlds have always been highly addictive.

Those games absolutely absorb me in their world and pass the time like nothing else... I'm actually going through New Vegas right now.

I can understand it can feel dated in many areas, but that has never been an issue with me, for me it's about the world, how it's presented, and how deep the character building is.

It's the Bethesda template and exploring their worlds have always been highly addictive.

yeah, hopefully they will work on the combat and less re-use of the same cave layouts in future games

I was enjoying New Vegas until I broke it by installing some mods that obviously didn't work. And I was getting pretty damn far in the game, too, though I still hadn't committed to any of the main factions. I had made it up to Novac and got my apartment there, but I really didn't want to go to the rocket factory yet to clear out the ghouls, because I wanted to try and help both factions inside: keep the nightkin alive and get the ghouls into space. So I was doing a ton of side quests outside, like helping the Boomers and going after all the Legendary creatures. I was able to exploit the wall design of Dead Wind Cavern to keep the Legendary Deathclaw at bay while I killed him. The NCR loved me, the Legion didn't hate me, and I still never set foot inside New Vegas itself (though I got the bogus passport so it was a matter of time), and I didn't explore any of the DLC's (other than Easy Money to get a quick death before reloading). I didn't bother to reinstall the game because I started to play Skyrim. But I won't be able to get back into that game, or any game, for at least a few weeks.

I got everyone to like me except the Legion

Before the last battle I could choose 2 endings

Trying to finish Witch and the Hundred Knight without breaking my PS3. It caused several hard disk crashes where the PS3 did a system file check at booting. Maybe they make it look more serious than it is

Why is that good to see?

Because Ubisoft are con merchants.

Really, you sure you're not talking about Activision? They've won me over with Black Flag and Watch Dogs. One of my favorite publishers now. Got Unity today, will be getting Far Cry 4 next week, and will undoubtedly get The Division on day one.

I enjoyed Far Cry 3

The only problem is that the sidequests look like checklists on the map instead of dialogue with NPC's. This takes away from immersion into the world and reminds you your just playing a game

Why is that good to see?

Because Ubisoft are con merchants.
Really, you sure you're not talking about Activision? They've won me over with Black Flag and Watch Dogs. One of my favorite publishers now. Got Unity today, will be getting Far Cry 4 next week, and will undoubtedly get The Division on day one.

You got Unity? Welp! The launch day review embargoes work on you then. Enjoy those widely reported drops to 15 fps!

I was enjoying New Vegas until I broke it by installing some mods that obviously didn't work. And I was getting pretty damn far in the game, too, though I still hadn't committed to any of the main factions. I had made it up to Novac and got my apartment there, but I really didn't want to go to the rocket factory yet to clear out the ghouls, because I wanted to try and help both factions inside: keep the nightkin alive and get the ghouls into space. So I was doing a ton of side quests outside, like helping the Boomers and going after all the Legendary creatures. I was able to exploit the wall design of Dead Wind Cavern to keep the Legendary Deathclaw at bay while I killed him. The NCR loved me, the Legion didn't hate me, and I still never set foot inside New Vegas itself (though I got the bogus passport so it was a matter of time), and I didn't explore any of the DLC's (other than Easy Money to get a quick death before reloading). I didn't bother to reinstall the game because I started to play Skyrim. But I won't be able to get back into that game, or any game, for at least a few weeks.

It's funny but these types of games always manage different people to have vastly different experiences. There's so much choice and consequence in these Bethesda RPG's no 2 players play it the exact same way. And I always explore too much and have conversations with everyone, so I have a ton of quests to do, and I only complete two or more when I'm in the area they're in. This way I can lose track of what I'm supposed to be doing in these quests. Luckily the pip-boy is a very helpful tool to keep it all (somewhat) organised. But the memo's that aren't linked to a quest I keep forgetting about. Also people I have to bring back stuff for. I collect a bunch of this or that and then I forgot who it's for... :unsure:

Other than that, having a blast ! :lol:

Here you go Koray, here's some more surprises from your new favourite wonderful publisher: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=931099

And so: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/11/12/congratulations-ubisoft-youre-the-new-ea/

Keep on consumering dude! Never go voting with your wallet!

These aren't surprises, and none of this stuff effects me as a gamer. Never experienced any of that "game-breaking" lag on Advanced Warfare, and have had only issues with the frame rate in Unity at one short instance, which ironically didn't involve any NPCs. I don't rely on reviews for any of my media consumption, I buy stuff based on past history and what I deem looks like an enjoyable experience. My biggest problem with Unity are the ridiculous load times, which for a current gen only game, are unacceptable.

Looking forward to Far Cry 4.

I've enjoyed every installment of Far Cry tremendously. Even FC2, which seems to be most loathed of the bunch, I love that african setting, selection of weapons, and the buddy system. It also features the most gorgeous day-night cycle and realistic weather I've ever witnessed in a game. I remember just waiting for the night to end, and seeing the sun rise in amazement. I've recently replayed it and its graphics remain stunning. Why the hell that day-night cycle was broken in part 3 is a mystery to me.