What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I'm now revisiting my favourite mods for Half-Life 2, but damn it to hell, some of them are seriously broken since another update that Valve did for Source engine games on Steam. There are fixes to be found by some helpful fans, but it's a shame that such hard work by bedroom developers can be ruined in the blink of an eye, or in this case an update that makes Valve's Half-Life games run a little faster, or so I've read.

PS4 seems to be a well balanced and built piece of hardware, but its online network side needs a LOT of work (which we are constantly reminded of with frequent downtime). The Playstation Network doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live.

Gaming got rid of those like 8 years ago.

I was wondering because I had to get an external USB to be able to play GTA V last year. I got the most basic Xbox package possible, with less than a gigabyte of memory.

PS4 seems to be a well balanced and built piece of hardware, but its online network side needs a LOT of work (which we are constantly reminded of with frequent downtime). The Playstation Network doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live.

Interesting. How does the Xbox compare in other fields?

It loses to PS4. The Sony system is the more tangibly powerful system of the two. The Xbox One is pretty pathetic tbh - it struggles with 1080p on most multiplatform titles and frame rates tend to struggle compared to their PS4 counterparts.

The only reason I'll eventually get an Xbox will literally be to play Halo 5, which will be beautifully optimised to within a kilobyte of the hardware's life. I saw the wonders the developer did with the old 360 and Halo 4 - the best looking game on the last gen console.

Other than Halo, I'd talk anybody out of getting an inferior piece of hardware and recommend the more capable Sony system.

One final consideration for a lot of people is what console do their friends play on? That's an important question for anyone looking to play online with some chaps they know. In which case people should just go with the same platform.

Thanks for the advice! I'll take it into consideration.

The only reason I'll eventually get an Xbox will literally be to play Halo 5, which will be beautifully optimised to within a kilobyte of the hardware's life. I saw the wonders the developer did with the old 360 and Halo 4 - the best looking game on the last gen console.

The exclusives are another important factor for me. I've always found the Playstation exclusives to be more interesting than the Xbox exclusives, mostly because I'm not into First Person Shooters.

That's also the main reason to get one eventually. The Master Chief Collection looks awesome, but since I already have all these titles I'm not willing to double dip, though Halo 2 Anniversary looks excellent.

No, Halo has always been about its MP, storyline, quality combat and AI and it's cool to see the evolution in graphics anyway. So only Halo 5 could make me buy one.

And yep what 343 Industries did with Halo 4 is mind-boggling. It goes to show that that aging hardware still had some serious juice in it.

Oh yes, it is indeed. It's great having a spare few quid for one's own entertainment.

@DreamTheater

I only played Halo 2 again a couple of years ago, so while the MCC is enticing, it's not really essential to me. Plus I've heard it has performance issues in areas, which further puts me off.

Gaming got rid of those like 8 years ago.

I was wondering because I had to get an external USB to be able to play GTA V last year. I got the most basic Xbox package possible, with less than a gigabyte of memory.

Right, I forgot Microsoft used to sell those barebones consoles with 4GB of space. Made absolutely no sense to me. Sony even threw one out on the market a couple years ago. Not sure who those appeal to, even a casual gamer would fill up the space with a single game.

If space is a serious issue for you, both PS4 and Xbox One have 500GB hard drives, but only Sony lets you remove it if you want to stick a bigger one in the console.

Oh yes, it is indeed. It's great having a spare few quid for one's own entertainment.

@DreamTheater

I only played Halo 2 again a couple of years ago, so while the MCC is enticing, it's not really essential to me. Plus I've heard it has performance issues in areas, which further puts me off.

Screw the Xbone (for now :lol: ).

I'm going through all of them again and it's the first time I'm doing Legendary on Halo CE (Anniversary).

Now this is seriously difficult ! Sometimes 15-20 attempts to get through one section !!!! Or 30 minutes to get to the next checkpoint. :huh:

Even though I'm pulling my hour out at times, I'm never going to stop enjoying those 5 minutes of fun (or frustation) repeated over and over.

Call Of Duty: World At War on Veteran is still probably the hardest campaign I've beaten. Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with AI or strategy or good gameplay design. It's a cloud of grenades over your head, infinite waves of relentless charging enemies that down you in 2 bullets, kind of hellish frustration. I remember flat out quitting, having got all the way up to the final level. But months later I went back, determined to finish.

I believe that was also the one CoD I grinded through on Vet. It was a horrid experience, but also one of the better campaigns in the series. My favorite multiplayer of the entire franchise.

Yeah Halo on Legendary difficulty is... legendary ;)

But it does make supposedly tough as nails Master Chief look like a push-over. I think the sequels are better balanced on legendary.

I only played World at War once, it was good though. If I remember correctly it would send wave after wave of soldiers unless I progressed beyond a particular point on the map. Felt a bit cheap really.

Each cup of coffee is brewed from grounds in a single use cup made of plastic that also contains foil and a filter. Tea, cocoa, and cider are also available. Millions of these cups enter landfills every day. Take that, Planet Earth.

You guys play the same online shooter for 200 hours and you mock me for my grinding games?

Hey don't look at me, I abhore the grinding in Destiny.

It took me awhile to adjust to the feel and movement of Far Cry 4 but now I'm loving it.

Heh heh, Koray "abhors" grinding in Destiny yet he got himself to 29 anyway. That's some SERIOUS grind. I know exactly how long that takes to accomplish. I dunno, but if I "abhorred" something I'd just completely ignore and avoid it. To abhor something is to be utterly repelled by it. Level 29? Methinks somebody is full of shit ;)

Bloody drama queen :P

Excuse me for not catching up on the 122 pages of this thread, but are any of you playing Sid Meier's Beyond Earth? Is the game any good? The music is fantastic! Clearly the crew who worked on Zimmer's Interstellar had heard the score.

I have zero interest in Civ V and its spin-off.

Thank you, that is incredibly interesting. Do you have a blog or any other way for us to know what you aren't interested in?

Excuse me for not catching up on the 122 pages of this thread, but are any of you playing Sid Meier's Beyond Earth? Is the game any good? The music is fantastic! Clearly the crew who worked on Zimmer's Interstellar had heard the score.

Considering Zimmer (not a "crew") wrote the score many months before the game was released, no. You just can't help yourself can you, even in a completely unrelated thread? Neither can I apparently. Still waiting for you to give some Williams plagiarism accusations a go.

I already pointed out my disinterest in all things Dragon Age. That really stems from my boycott of all things Bioware until we get KOTOR 3, so even if it happens, Mass Effect can stick it. And I've already seen how utterly unfappable the first person sex scenes are in GTA V are, so I won't be getting that.

I still like to play Civ IV, or at least have the disc on the pile of games I think I'll have time to play. And with Alpha Centauri from GOG, I have no need for its flashier little brother.

I already pointed out my disinterest in all things Dragon Age. That really stems from my boycott of all things Bioware until we get KOTOR 3, so even if it happens, Mass Effect can stick it. And I've already seen how utterly unfappable the first person sex scenes are in GTA V are, so I won't be getting that. I still like to play Civ IV, or at least have the disc on the pile of games I think I'll have time to play. And with Alpha Centauri from GOG, I have no need for its flashier little brother.

Ok, it sounds like a blog of what disinterests you is unnecessary since you already mentioned those.