What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

At first I had something similar with the ending. I was expecting some great emotional payoff... but no the characters just talked a bit, fade to black. Felt weird.

But now in hindsight the emotions were already there during the game's climactic confrontations with David and in the hospital. So it came out right at the end.

It's more satisfying when looked at that way. It still feels like a sour note to end the game on. The ending level's excessive violence is a major contributing factor to my dissatisfaction. Joel's devotion to Ellie comes off more unsettling and creepy than poignant. Which would be fine if the rest of the game had led to it but it sticks out like a sore thumb in the otherwise natural progression of the story.

I think it's an important character moment between them. It feels natural for Joel to react the way he does (in the hospital), and Ellie gives him an out but he denies it. How do you find the ending excessively violent? It's nothing more than what was seen before.

The game poses the question at several points what the real difference is between Joel and the bad guys, particularly David. Of course he's not as bad but they're all barbarians doing what they think they must in order to survive, namely butchering a ton of people. It is also alluded to that Joel was a member of one of the roving gangs of hunters prior to the events in the story. As for the ending, it is supposed to be ambiguous and uneasy in terms of Joel's actions. And given the brutality of the gameplay throughout and the building co-dependency that forms with Ellie and Joel (informed by the original loss of his daughter) makes it an appropriate, inevitable conclusion.

Also, sick Tayne avatar Mr Big.

The game poses the question at several points what the real difference is between Joel and the bad guys, particularly David. Of course he's not as bad but they're all barbarians doing what they think they must in order to survive, namely butchering a ton of people. It is also alluded to that Joel was a member of one of the roving gangs of hunters prior to the events in the story. As for the ending, it is supposed to be ambiguous and uneasy in terms of Joel's actions. And given the brutality of the gameplay throughout and the building co-dependency that forms with Ellie and Joel (informed by the original loss of his daughter) makes it an appropriate, inevitable conclusion.

Also, sick Tayne avatar Mr Big.

Thanks!

I see what you mean. I really enjoyed the subplot about the bandits getting revenge. Usually in games like this, killing "bad guys" doesn't have any consequences, moral or otherwise. It was a cool subversion of expectations.

The ending has grown on me over the last couple of days.

Here's my completed games for 2014:

Record of Agarest War 2

Time and Eternity

Dark Souls 2 + 3 DLC's

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy X-2

Tales of Symphonia

Tales of Symphonia:Dawn of a New World

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace

Fairy Fencer F

Risen 3

The Witch and the Hundred Knight

Natural Doctrine

Tales of Xillia 2

well it's better than:

Call of Duty

Destiny

Actually what do you play besides FPS and the occasional linear adventure game? your mocking my RPG's but there doesn't seem to be much variety on your plate either

DS2 is a bit easier if you quit Demon's Souls or DS1 because of difficulty while retaining the epic journey

It's essentially the same franchise. Sony just wanted them to make an exclusive like Demon's Souls was.

yes but I think there will be a proper Dark Souls 3

worth playing anyways

10 years from now they will be regarded as absolute classics like Final Fantasy VII or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Dark Souls 1 is in my top 5 videogames of all time

But it's more fan base that will play the game all the way through or multiple times.

Most people that buy the latest Assassin's Creed play for a week then toss it aside

well it's better than:

Call of Duty

Destiny

Actually what do you play besides FPS and the occasional linear adventure game? your mocking my RPG's but there doesn't seem to be much variety on your plate either

You haven't played Destiny you ignorant moron. Fella, I play every genre other than sports. Get back to your generic shite.

It's essentially the same franchise. Sony just wanted them to make an exclusive like Demon's Souls was.

I've heard it's somewhat less focused and polished than Demon's Souls, which did put me off.

Dude, I was baiting. Forget about it! I did play a few hours of Risen 3 on the PC though, got it ridiculously cheap so it would have been rude not to. It was quite good. Once I hit level 32 in Destiny I'm going to make a start on Inquisition, again on the PC, for them 60fps. I watched my brother on the PS4 version and it looked fantastic actually.

My issue with massive role playing games these days though is I hit a boredom barrier after about 50 hours. I need to feel compelled by a strong storyline to want to push through all the way to the end, and that is exceedingly rare. The new Dragons Age delivers in that regard apparently. Oh and Shadow of Mordor is said to be very strong in that regard as well, plus it has Batman's benchmark fight system.

Risen 3 was good. It's worth playing all the way through

Far Cry 4 is probably one of the first games I'll play on the PS4 so it's not like I hate all games with guns

It's the middle of the night now. Trying to stay awake to watch the rest of a movie

I have 2-3 more games to complete before I get my PS4. Destiny will probably be free with it but I'm unsure about paying for PSN+

Oh man I would love to see KM play Destiny.

I'm contemplating on Battlefield Hardline. The beta felt like an expansion of Need For Speed and BF4 combined, but the delay actually put it in a sweet release window where no other FPSs are coming out.

Kinda want Dying Light too.

I have a couple of guys in the States I do mats farming (materials) with, they usually come on a few hours before I go to bed.

The Hardline beta was lots of fun but generic and more like a mod. Not worth the price they were asking. Hopefully they have used the extra dev time to really invigorate the gameplay and modes with enough differences to separate it from standard Battlefield.

I keeping getting asked to try for that trophy, but I have no interest in it.

Beat the Hard Vault of Glass every week though, my character is a beast! The Hard Raid is the most challenging and stressful piece of game design I've encountered in over thirty years of gaming. Beating it is incredibly satisfying, especially when you finally roll the exotic you've been coveting for weeks. Got the Vex Mythoclast just this week.

H44vFHW.jpg

*drool*

I'm starting to enjoy Killzone: Shadow Fall somewhat more.

But mainly for the multiplayer / botzone which in every game seems like a well-rounded and fun package. Warzone is an excellent mode, and there is a good selection of maps.

Normally I don't play a lot online, but this series has definitely swayed me over to do so once in a while.

The big maps with lots of people quickly descend into chaos. I prefer it when there are two smaller teams of equal strength.

The campaign doesn't completely suck but it's so radically different from the previous games it's hard to get into the story and characters.

Multiplayer is brilliant; hobbled somewhat by some headscratching dev decisions. I played it a lot. How easy is it to find games these days? Are the matches full and with balanced sides?

There's still decent activity online. Can't compare to the earlier days, but I have no trouble finding matches.

Like I said I'm not an obsessive online gamer. Quite the opposite, but in the KZ games I've always loved the Warzone mode, which isn't your standard deathmatch mode, which gets tiring fast for me.

I only played about an hour last night, but I don't think any game has made me laugh as much as The Stick of Truth. The attention to detail is really good, and it feels like watching an episode. I've never played a turn based RPG like this that requires reflexes and timing, but I got the hang of it. Just the hobos and stronger sixth graders made me realize I'm not ready to explore too much yet. The gamepad makes it feel natural.

I only played about an hour last night, but I don't think any game has made me laugh as much as The Stick of Truth. The attention to detail is really good, and it feels like watching an episode. I've never played a turn based RPG like this that requires reflexes and timing, but I got the hang of it. Just the hobos and stronger sixth graders made me realize I'm not ready to explore too much yet. The gamepad makes it feel natural.

Played that a lot during the first couple of months of owning it, but got stuck and gave up. Must revisit it.

The new wave of Star Wars games is out on GOG.

- Battlefront II

- Knights of the Republic II

- Dark Forces

- Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

- X-Wing Alliance ---> this one is excellent

- X-Wing vs Tie Fighter: Balance of Power

I still haven't gotten any of the others from the first wave.

Nah it's just a store. For prices though it can frequently be cheaper than Steam, which is why the Steam sale isn't as exciting as it once was. Loads of online alternatives offer better prices all year round, you just have to watch out for the deals. GreenManGaming.com is another good source.

GOG typically packages all game files plus DOSBox into a single executable file that installs on current Windows machines, and sometimes Linux and Mac. That way you can play games that are even twenty years old on modern Windows machines, like Descent and SimCity 2000, along with very recent games like the Witcher and Stalker series.

Is that required in all cases? Absolutely not. If you own or have the old game, you can probably tinker around with DOSBox or another means of launching DOS or compatibility mode to get the old game to work. GOG just makes this easy and convenient.

GOG also bundles these games with freebies like soundtracks, wallpapers, manuals, hints, and patches.

The final perk is that GOG games are DRM free. After downloading, you can install on as many machines as you want and play without needing to be online or logging into a system to play.

Many games are offered on both Steam and GOG, but you have to be a savvy shopper. Prices and availability do fluctuate, meaning sometimes Steam is cheaper. And many GOG games no longer support multi-player over Internet or LAN because they're so old.

That's true even if games are pulled from the storefront and are no longer sold at GOG.

Here's a great example. Their deal with Interplay to sell Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics ended, and the games are no longer sold through GOG (they moved to Steam). But because I bought all three games before the deal ended, they are still in my library and I can download them anywhere I wish. (But I do keep these files safe in case this ever changes.)

I have noticed that many times when GOG updates games, they change the filenames. So if you have a big folder where you keep your installer files that you haven't installed, and you download them again several months later because you still haven't made time to install them yet, the different file names will take up space. I often delete my folder and start over when I need space.

- X-Wing Alliance ---> this one is excellent

I consider XWA and TIE Fighter some of the best games ever made.

The final perk is that GOG games are DRM free. After downloading, you can install on as many machines as you want and play without needing to be online or logging into a system to play.

This. Which is why I favour GOG for games that are released on both GOG and Steam.

I bought my PS4 (Last of Us bundle)

I decided not to wait for the "slim version" because:

1)There are no reported issues with this console as it is

2)It's already smaller than my PS3 and has a nice design

3)I want to play Dragon Age