What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I just found out an Earthblade trailer dropped while I was gone

I was excited until I saw the 2024 date at the end!

How can these people take 6 years to produce their next game after Celeste?

Same with Team Cherry, Silksong will be 6 years after Hollow Knight, too.....

So frustrating to look forward to both games and scores year after year and keep having to change my expectations...

• 3 weeks later...

Don't let it's cutesy disney animated look fool you, Kena Bridge of Spirits is fucking hard...almost dark souls level.   I sprained my wrist repeating a boss fight 25 times

Tried playing Death Stranding but it was just too tedious, both in the gameplay and the long, exposition heavy cutscenes.

Started playing Vampire Survivors on gamepass and it might be one of the best things ever (and this is coming from someone who hates pixel art and 2d side scrollers).  The premise is that it's a bullet hell game, but you're the guy with the gun.  The automatic attack pattern a simple mechanic that allows for a variety of approaches in terms of choosing powerups and timing your various attack just right

2 recent streaming/downloadable Doctor Who games (The Edge Of Reality and The Lonely Assassins) are now on a 'Deluxe Bundle' disc, so I bought it and blew the dust off my PS4 (it's been a while) to start playing the first one ... it's quite fun, it's first-person and your character is being 'guided' by Whittaker's Doctor (Tennant's will pop up at some stage too) in order to fight off an alien threat. Any game where you attach jump leads to a scrapyard magnetic 'grabber', then power it up with the sonic and use it to take a Dalek out of action is all right by me.     

A little off-topic, but what don't we move all gaming threads to the General Discussion subforum? I feel they're less visited than they should because they're hidden hire among all the other weird Other Topics threads. Also, videogames surely belong among the subject matter discussed on GD, alongside television, movies, etc. Finally, there's already a videogame thread in GD (Videogame Music), so why not move the others too?

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

there's already a videogame thread in GD (Videogame Music)

That's not a video game thread, that's a music thread. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

That's not a video game thread, that's a music thread. 

That is beside the point. What I'm trying to say is that videogames, as an art form, deserve to be among other art forms like music, movies and TV shows in General Discussion, and not here, hidden among all the weird stuff from Other Topics.

• 3 weeks later...

I continued the PS4 PC rerelases with Spider-Man, and while the gameplay, particularly swinging and climbing through Manhattan, is highly enjoyable, it felt a bit like an unfocused mess in general, trying to do way too many things with the story and characters. Miles Morales, on the other hand, felt like it had clear ideas and goals and mostly executed them really well, especially the racial minority/"our Spider-Man" aspect.

Then I went over to a first go at Plague Tale: Innocence, which was gorgeous, the voice acting and character writing really strong, and the stealth/action/interaction mechanics were nice and varied enough, though I didn't really feel there was enough space to really get to know or have to use a lot of them. My favourite part was probably arriving at the castle, pushing the rats out and seeing the group dynamics strengthening.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2023 at 9:57 PM, Edmilson said:

A little off-topic, but what don't we move all gaming threads to the General Discussion subforum? I feel they're less visited than they should because they're hidden hire among all the other weird Other Topics threads. Also, videogames surely belong among the subject matter discussed on GD, alongside television, movies, etc.

On 19/01/2023 at 3:37 PM, Edmilson said:

videogames, as an art form, deserve to be among other art forms like music, movies and TV shows in General Discussion, and not here, hidden among all the weird stuff from Other Topics.

I've pondered this, and decided I agree with you.

General Discussion now includes Book and Video Game talk.

Katamari Damacy (Reroll)

Anybody here like this game, or even this series in general?

I tried it out over the weekend on Switch, because NSO subscribers got the whole game for free for 4 days or something.

I didn't really like it at all, just found it boring with weird controls. But maybe I'm missing sometihng?

I’ve always known of Katamari going back to the PS2 days but never played it.

I tried Reroll a couple years ago on PS4 since it was cheap on sale and yeah, the controls prevent me from enjoying it. Otherwise it works for me as a weird Japanese physics engine sandbox. 

11 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Waiting for my Super NT to come. Anyone here have experience with it? If it's as good as the Mega SG, it should be mighty fine.

Is that one of those things that pretends to be a console? kinda like an emulator, but hardware?

2 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

one of those things that pretends to be a console

That's a way of putting it lol. Using FPGA, it's basically hardware emulation instead of software. It is, in effect, reproducing the games identically to original hardware, but with 1080p upscaling, and an ability to load roms. (It can play cartridges, too, obviously)

On 04/02/2023 at 7:35 PM, Holko said:

Then I went over to a first go at Plague Tale: Innocence, which was gorgeous, the voice acting and character writing really strong, and the stealth/action/interaction mechanics were nice and varied enough, though I didn't really feel there was enough space to really get to know or have to use a lot of them. My favourite part was probably arriving at the castle, pushing the rats out and seeing the group dynamics strengthening.

And now I went through Requiem. Just fantastic, a really well-written character focused story (heavier than the first) with fantastic affecting acting, worldbuilding and again good enough gameplay to support it, this time a bit cleaner and more refined as far as abilities go. My biggest problem with Innocence was probably the villain and especially the final bossfight, which was a way to over the top cliche multiwave bossfight against the magical powered enemy that IMO really didn't fit into how everything else was presented - this time it all meshes together much better. Music kicks ass. Looked and ran great, no early launch optimisation problems or non-top of the line HW performance compromises.

Man, these characters and this voice acting especially... not sure if I can go back to shovelware "open world" collectathons with badly directed batch recorded unemotive misemphasised quips and NPC lines for a while. Feeling zero motivation for checking out Hogwarts Legacy firsthand, for example.

I'm 40 hours into Elden Ring and only did the first major area (Limgrave) so expecting a 200h playthrough at least. It's good but somehow lacks the intricate environments of the previous games and more spread out being an open world and the dungeons seem more simple. It's also less stressful because you can run away from most encounters. I accidentally got teleported by a trapped chest to a higher level area and grinded killing monsters there for a few hours and went up 30 levels very fast. Then I wiped the floor with the starting area main boss so it's easier than previous souls games so far. But I read the next areas are really hard no matter how high level you are.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone play any dumb daily mobile games?  I can't believe I've been playing Fire Emblem Heroes daily for 6 years now.  Time flies

Metroid Prime: Remastered

I opened up my copy and played through the first section and........... didn't love it.  In fact was kind of turned off by a lot of it.

Mainly my issue was the first person perspective.  Like when you're in ball form you can see the world around you easily, and instantly know where to go and how to get there. But then when you go back to first person view, your sight is so limited, you have no peripheral, it just feels claustrophobic.  It made me wish you could just stay with the camera behind the shoulder Resident Evil 4 or The Last Of Us style, and control Samus that way with a wider view of the environment.

Outside of those issues, I just didn't find this first section very fun.  It was kind of neat slowly exploring a new place, reading info and lore with the scanner, occasionally fighting some enemies, etc.  The boss fight was actually pretty good, for a first boss anyway.  But then the escape sequence drove me nuts.  Because the limited view, I got mixed up and turned around when you have to go through the tunnels many times, and ended up dying before the timer ran out.  Which led me to discover my next big annkyance, which is that the save system is so old-fashioned; Having to find specific rooms to save in and NOTHING you do outside of them is saved until you find another one.  So dying during the escape sequence meant I had to go fight the stupid boss all over again!  Modern games with numerous, automatic check-points are just such a huge benefit, and something they could have added in since this was a remaster.

What become even more frustrating was when I died at almost the end of the escape sequence because I again couldn't tell which direction to go, and so had to fight the boss AGAIN and go through the whole escape sequence AGAIN.  Yikes.

Once I got my cutscene and landed on the planet I saved there.  Hopefully this is just prologue-sequence issues and once I start the main game proper and have to earn all my equipment back things will be better - we'll see!

@Jay, I had the exact same experience as you back in 2006 when I first tried to play the game on Gamecube, and I never picked it up again. But everyone tells me it's one of the best games out there, so I've been curious to give it another go. 

@Docteur Qui

I am happy to report that I put about an hour into the actual main game now, after that really dissatisfying prologue bit, and had a MUCH better time!

I think it's a combination of several factors: One, you're on a big planet with lots of open space and sky, so it doesn't feel so claustrophobic.  I enjoyed just walking around and seeing waterfalls and ledges and stuff in the distance I know I'll be able to get to eventually.

Two is I never found myself getting lost.  They've segmented the areas nicely so far, and once I'm in an area it's always been clear how to proceed through it, even when multiple paths present themselves.

Three is starting with no powers and having to find them again gives that amazing rewarding feeling that makes me love metroidvanias so much.  Once I got the missiles I loved going back through my head all the places I had gone past I knew I could missile and seeing what was in them, then getting the morph ball and doing the same thing.

And finally it's all been much easier, I never died and lost any progress.  

I suppose I'm getting more used to the somewhat cramped first-person perspective too.

So yea, enjoying the game MUCH more now and already looking forward to getting back in and making more progress.

Put another hour or so in and got the morph ball bombs and varia suit

It's pretty fun, and gets a little more fun with every powerup you get.  Like any good metroidvania!

One thing I will say I am not impressed with much is the bosses.  They are kind of lame so far.  I just mean their design; The puzzle-solving to figure out how to beat them is fine.  The last giant plant monster I found made me feel like I was playing a Resident Evil game though

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a 4th session of Metroid Prime Remastered in

I got the Boost Ball (I think that's what it's called, lets your ball go a little faster, can be used to shot up curved walls) and explored a lava area and a snowy area.  Didn't even have to beat a boss to get the powerup

It's starting to get obvious that I there will be a jump powerup, and hopefully soon.  So many jumps now have to be precise, or I see things juuuust out of reach of my normal jump range

5th session of Metroid Prime, got the charge beam and the double jump

Holy COW did I STRUGGLE with the mechanic where you can use the boost ball on half-pipes to go back and forth and eventually get enough height to reach new areas. I must have spent five FRUSTRATING minutes trying to get the timing down to get to the ledge I needed to get to for the double jump.  SHEESH!  I hope there isn't much more of this, or if there is, that I can pull it off quickly next time...

The double jump doesn't seem to be as exhilarating as I thought it would be.  Charge beam is kinda fun.

What's weird is that the first 4 powerups I found (missiles, morph ball, morph ball bomb, varia suit) were all locked behind bosses, while the next three I found (boost ball, charge beam, double jump) all were not.  So I've been playing quite a while now just kinda wandering, no major battles to speak of.  But maybe I found the powerups in a different order than typical, who knows

In the original very first pressing of the game, you could glitch to the double jump right after arriving on the planet.

I always got the Charge beam prior to getting the bombs, makes the boss fights (especially Flaaghra) easier.

You should have another miniboss fight coming soon.

Yea I definitely could have gotten the charge beam earlier, it was in this room where you have to scan 4 runes, and I had been in there, but hadn't found all 4 and gave up and wandered somewhere else.  Should have stayed until I found em all, oh well

I'm now 140 hours into Elden Ring and I think I'm between half and 2/3 of the game done. It's huge. It has one of the most fascinating game worlds I've ever seen but it's a very "lonely" game because it you vs the world.  The story is vague  and most of the NPC's say cryptic things and there's no characters to get attached to

Playing the hit new game from Squaresoft called Final Fantasy VII. At first, I was like, “where are 4, 5, and 6?” I looked into it, and apparently a few of them didn’t come out in America, but they went with the original title anyway. Wild. This Cloud guy is a real pill. Aeris is a real cutie, though. I hope they end up together.

Finally got a 6th session of Metroid Prime Remastered in.

I got the super missiles (I then couldn't even figure out how to fire them, and am not sure if I've ever come across any place I needed to use them), wave beam (pretty cool), and thermal visor (kinda nifty, not sure yet if I can use it to find stuff I wouldn't know about otherwise, or if its just a solution for dark rooms)

The enemy types keep impressing me; Some of hte guys with tough backs in the snowy area are a pain, but finally got to fight Metroids and Space Pirates.  The game has a pretty good balance to exploration and combat