What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Bilbo if you had simply disabled your internet connection to the PS4 the game would likely have played straight from the disc.

It's only CoD though. Sounds like a lot of bother over nothing.

56 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Bilbo if you had simply disabled your internet connection to the PS4 the game would likely have played straight from the disc.

It's only CoD though. Sounds like a lot of bother over nothing.

My PS4 is not connected to the internet. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

When I turned on my PS4 it automatically started to download. The notice will pop up if you attempt to launch the game, and give you the option to bypass.

What you had was a regular update. That wasn’t the issue. 

Here’s other people complaining about it: https://community.callofduty.com/t5/World-War-II-General-Discussion/CANNOT-PLAY-new-game-unless-you-first-do-update/td-p/10459656

Yes, I should. I believe firmware updates actually get included on game discs.

This isn’t anything I’m doing wrong. This game is impossible to play without first downloading a very large file. It’s not something that can be skipped.

It’s my own fault really, it said “internet required” on the front of the box but I just assumed that was for online multiplayer.

Crash N Sane Trilogy and Battlefront II were two recentish games tht I got that played abolsolutely fine without the need to download anything.

Ah, internet required being stated on the box is the killer there. Yeah.

Because otherwise it would definitely had installed ver.1.0 straight from the disc.

4K textures are why games require enormous installation space these days, it's quite absurd. Even a blu-ray is insufficient.

Too bad you can't haul your console to a friend's house with unlimited data and download it there. At least with something small like a gaming laptop or Switch, you could sit at a restaurant or bar. But it's not like you can lug your TV down to the local Panera. 

To be somewhat fair to the developers/publishers, they could have overlooked major bugs in the golden disc version or added major features afterward, so they want people to download the fix before raging online about a nonfunctional or incomplete game. But they still could have an "essential fixes" category to download, which would be much smaller, and you could play after downloading that while downloading the rest.

I was watching a few Blurays on my PS4 and they just didn't sound right ( the  music was very muted and sounded like 96 kbps MP3's)

Figured it out. When the movies playing , press the option button , go to "settings" in the menu on the bottom of the screen and turn OFF the dynamic range control (it's "auto" by default, meaning it's on when you don't want it to)

This kind of explains it even if it's a PS3 thread

https://www.psu.com/forums/threads/dynamic-range-control-audio-turn-it-off.110147/

This applies to all you guys with PS4's so I thought I'd post it

I was scratching why the mixes sounded so horrible, like the Close Encounters finale sounded like I was listening to it on a telephone, and also the Star Wars OT music mix , but it was that stupid setting

And it's not easy to find since it's not in the PS4 main menu audio settings

no, it's not in the XMB

While playing  the film (or the film main menu) you press the recessed "options" button on the controller you get a menu on the bottom of the screen and you have to go to "settings" there and you have various picture and sound options

it's also where you have to set the output to "bitstream direct" or you won't get surround  sound even if you set it to dolby digital in the XMB

it's really weird to have this "hidden menu"

I wonder if that's why Master and Commander's dialogue is so annoyingly quiet but it's sound effects so incredibly loud. I'm on a 2.1 setup though, so it should downmix correctly anyway. But Master and Commander has always needed to be watched with remote volume micromanagement.

E3 kicks off with an expectedly terrible conference from EA, who just can’t seem to learn from previous years. Can’t say I’m too excited about Anthem anymore. The game is supposed to come out in 8 months and they’re still showcasing concept art. 

It really was. It was cringy.

I see Anthem is getting a lot of negative feedback after its second showing. Personally, I think it looks full of potential. IF they can make the player agency in the world and during the melee feel satisfying in the hand.

I have high hopes for it, and I’ve stayed away from nearly all gameplay and info about it since its E3 reveal a couple years ago.

Press that have played Anthem behind closed doors are saying that the shooting and flying mechanics feel perfect. 

36 minutes ago, Holko said:

Elder Scrolls VI, hell yeah!

It’s hard for me to get excited about a game which is an inevitability and also won’t be coming out for 3-4 years.

Excited for them to show it at E3 2020 though!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Plus 2 years for modders to make it playable and legendary. At least we know it's coming.

What's crazy is how they'll have wrung cash out of the Skyrim rag for a freakin' decade by the time the next game's out.

It's one of, if not the the biggest gaming and internet phenomenon and icon of the decade, so of course they're milking it.

Kingdom Hearts 3 gets a release date of January 29th 2019

That's over 13 years after Kingdom Hearts 2 was released.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What's crazy is how they'll have wrung cash out of the Skyrim rag for a freakin' decade by the time the next game's out.

Blame me, I bought it three times.

After playing a lot of Breath of the Wild, the thought of going back to Skyrim is unappealing. The emergent gameplay, interactive and dynamic environment, and cooking system really took that type of game to a higher level of immersion. The bar has been set very high for any future single player games in Tamriel. 

The Last of Us 2... the quality of the facial capture - during actual gameplay, is next level stuff. It's going to make everything so much more intimate, especially the brutal violence. Could be an uncomfortable experience.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Resident Evil 2 remake looks like a lavish production

The only RE game that I played to completion. But since then I've played Dead Island, Dying Light and The Last of Us. Resi Evil sort of feels old hat to me now.

RE2 was the first RE game I played, the original version back on PS1.  I was very impressed by it as a total Nintendo-only kid at the time.  I eventually got the RE0, the REmake, RE2, RE3, and RE:CV for Gamecube.  I never got around to playing past 0 and 1!

Many consider RE4 to be one of the greatest games ever made, though its more of an action game than a survival horror game

RE2 was also my first RE game, but on the N64.  The next one I played was the Gamecube REmake.  And the only other one I've ever played is RE4 on Gamecube!

I did own a Dreamcast from 2000-2001, and I remember wanting Code Veronica, but I never got it for some reason.  It didn't help that the video store never carried Dreamcast games.  I used to never buy a game without renting it first since I was using money I earned delivering newspapers to buy them.

The Dreamcast was one helluvan awesome system.  Too bad Sega gave up on it so quickly

A buddy of mine in college downloaded and burned the entire library of games. That certainly cut into sales if they could be copied that easily. 

They were already on the way out before the Dreamcast was released, they knew it'd probably be their last system. It did pretty well until the PS2 released and tore its jugular out...probably would've done better if they used DVD instead of GD, but they couldn't afford it. Shame, but they really went out with a bang!

Can't watch the RE2 video right now, is it a graphic remake, mostly, or is it a gameplay change too, like the style of 7? RE4 was the first hard-M game I played as a teenager, it blew my mind like the enemies in the game. I've played it too much and would probably have to wait at least ten more years to give it another shot, but as an adult I appreciate its (hopefully intentional) kitsch in the plot and writing. That game has some of the best bad dialogue ever.

Finally Elder Scrolls 6 announced.

So I guess Fallout 76 can be single player if you want.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That new Sony Samurai game looks cool

you mean the one from the Dark Souls people?

47 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Finally Elder Scrolls 6 announced.

So I guess Fallout 76 can be single player if you want.

you mean the one from the Dark Souls people?

Nioh?  N(i)o, The Ghosts of Tsushima.