What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

The new Tomb Raider is way too short and the Trinity resolution is rather disappointing. The gameplay is fine but it’s a disappointing end to a very enjoyable trilogy. 

They're probably going to have to reboot it again. I hear it's a soulless game, although I already felt that way about the all new Lara Croft titles. Technically proficient but dull survive 'em ups.

47 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is there a video game series that's ever been rebooted as much as Tomb Raider? What's up with this series?

Just Doom, I guess

I don't really think video game series rebooting is as much of a problem as film/TV reboots.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

They're surely going to make a 4th one, right?

I’ve no doubt they will. It would be very easy do a soft reboot/sequel for the 4th one. Time can pass a few years and the ending would allow for a shift in tone to a less serious and grim Lara. 

Overall I’ve really enjoyed the trilogy but the final one was a bit of a letdown. I think The second one was the best. This one feels rushed

Odd that this one would be the rushed one, when the second came out only 2 years after the first, while this one came out 3 years after the second.

They changed dev studios between 2 and 3.

They May well have spent a longer time of the 3rd but it still feels like they rushed it. It’s slitchy and the story doesn’t feel like it was given enough time. 

I sound harder on it than I should. It was still an enjoyable game and there are a tonne if side quests and optional tombs to explore but the narrative felt very short and rushed. 

Anyone here 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Apparently games aren't supposed to include women?

Been in the mood for a good strategy game, wonder how this one is? 

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

A noticeably proactive movement seems to have become really prevalent just latey.

Strange, this recent movement where people seem proud of their bigotry and hatred.

I used to play Settlers and Civilization. All the workers and settlers were male avatars. How did these cultures live? 

At least Age of Empires II had male and female workers, even if all the soldiers were male. Even clicking on the females produced a female voice. After the Conquerors expansion, I only played as the Spanish. 

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

Gaming is an incel infested retreat and pastime for sad little women haters like these guys. A noticeably proactive movement seems to have become really prevalent just latey.

Haven't I been saying this for years?

I'm a better, more moral person then you because I don't game, Lee.

;)

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Is this similar to how people complained that there were no people of color in medieval Bohemia in Kingdom Come?

Its the same thing probably, just a different kind of people who are complaining.

33 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It’ll never be truly agnostic though. I expect we’ll see it for Fortnite, Rocket League, and not much else. 

You could be right, but I'm okay with that since it's their pilot test for Playstation Classic crossplay.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is completely alright. If one does not expect the substantial leap in quality (gameplay and graphics) that was between 2013 and Rise, and are content with it being more of the same, just in a different (breathtaking) location, they'll be just fine. The story could have used an actual arc for Lara or a proper resolution for Trinity. And I am really glad to have spent the last 2 days of playtime gathering every collectible only for the damn bastard to be bugged out so I didn't get the achievement and am now stuck at 99.96% for this playthrough. The whole thing took 35 hours, with 2-5 of those being passive, alt-tabbed out.

You consider the difference between Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider to be a substantial leap?

RE: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

People who played the game offline and never installed the day one patch got a different ending that was scrapped last minute, in which it leads directly into the original Tomb Raider from 1996. Odd that they backed out on what would have probably been a solid fan service. Doubly odd because this reboot trilogy was supposed to predate the original game. Don’t know why they couldn’t lead it into a remake instead of buying more time for more filler story. There’s only so many times you can “rise.”

9 hours ago, Wojism said:

A lifetime of playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse has ruined my reflexes to the point where I have no idea how to play Doom on the Switch. 

Aren’t you a PC gamer? Why the hell would you play Doom on Switch?

Killer 7

One of my absolute favorite pieces of media. One of the best examples of "interactive narratives" that has really surged in the last 15ish years or so. Originally, the game was going to be more complex in its mechanics, but Suda51 wisely pared down the gameplay to be as unobtrusive as possible, allowing the player to experience the very unique universe the game conjures.

The game constantly changes its structure, so while the basic gameplay remains the same, you never know what you're going to find yourself getting into. I remember back in the day, it was criticized for being too convoluted, but really the game is relatively easy to follow if you pay attention. (Though of course multiple playthroughs help.)

The score is very eclectic, matching the narrative's frequent changes in tone and locale. The voice acting is excellent, a rare example of a game where I can't imagine playing it in its original language, especially when you have thespian heavyweights like Dwight Schultz contributing their talents in a very low-key way (back before you would see Kevin Spacey or Ellen Page dominate a game's marketing). The cutscenes are deeply stylish, constantly changing art styles, while somehow remaining deeply cohesive.

Honestly, the only complaint I can muster is that the hit detection for the shooting is off, although it's consistent, meaning you can compensate your aim. I highly, highly recommend this to anyone who laments that the gaming world is nothing but roguelikes, nostalgia platformers, and first-person shooters.

A bit of practice is all that is required to move from one method of control to another. I found it surprisingly hard to get back into k/m play after years of controller usage, but with a bit of determination I was back up on the top five spots in post carnage reports on Battlefield. Then I had to unlearn it again when I eventually headed back over to console. In the end, I settled on controller for both platforms. Nowadays, if a Steam purchase doesn't list controller support in its features, I don't buy. Fortunately, almost everything that comes out on PC plays great with my trusty old Xbox 360 pad.

It's where I played Doom, using the Xbox pad.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Aren’t you a PC gamer? Why the hell would you play Doom on Switch?

The hell because my wife bought it for herself on Switch and she asked me to play it. I'm on the second difficulty and can't get past the first big battle when the elevator takes the Doomguy outside right after the the title screen. Nope. I'm done. 

I did look up what is presently required to use keyboard and mouse on Switch, but it takes the purchase of two pricey dongles and running the signal through a laptop. No thanks. 

3 hours ago, Wojism said:

The hell because my wife bought it for herself on Switch and she asked me to play it. I'm on the second difficulty and can't get past the first big battle when the elevator takes the Doomguy outside right after the the title screen. Nope. I'm done. 

Besides your personal difficulties with the controls, how does the game perform on Switch?

Tried out the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 on my brother's Switch last night...damn, I _really_ want a Switch now.

It's a great console.  Nice easy way to play a lot of indie faves, plus Nintendo is making wonderful 1st party software for it

It performs fine. I know there are reviews that the graphics are bad on TV but not having seen the PC gfx at the same size, I don't see a problem.

Loading times before levels are too long, but that is a characteristic of using a cartridge, and magnified by my repeated deaths and reloads from checkpoints. 

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a great console.  Nice easy way to play a lot of indie faves, plus Nintendo is making wonderful 1st party software for it

I had a good feeling about it the moment it was announced, which I did not get from the Wii U. Nintendo has done such an excellent job capitalizing on the potential of the Switch. To be perfectly frank, I can see this becoming one of the greatest consoles of all time, and only a year and a half in I believe it's Nintendo's strongest since the SNES.

The Wii U is a running gag in the halls of Nintendo, by the way.

32 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The Wii U is a running gag in the halls of Nintendo, by the way.

Some great fucking software on it though, even if the design and interface were all over the place.  I just finished Yoshi's Woolly World and I truly think it's a platforming masterpiece.

Incredible first party games on that system.  I hope they all get ported to the Switch so everyone can play them

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Incredible first party games on that system.  I hope they all get ported to the Switch so everyone can play them

The Switch is to the Wii U as the Borg is to other civilizations.

Here's a Digital Foundry analysis vid of Red Dead Redemption II which any non Nintendo gamer is bound to find fascinating and which goes to lengths to explain why game world immersion is increasingly important to many players these days:

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Here's a Digital Foundry analysis vid of Red Dead Redemption II which any non Nintendo gamer is bound to find fascinating and which goes to lengths to explain why game world immersion is increasingly important to many players these days:

Can't research this at the moment,  is this going to be released on PC same time as console? I haven't been able to own a television in over a year, but damn if I'm gonna miss this game. Only thing offputting is that it's a prequel with a lot of recurring characters (compare this with the difference between Revolver and Redemption),  but I trust them, if it's the same team.

3 minutes ago, Wojism said:

I didn't think Rockstar released anything on PC at the same time as consoles. It usually takes them many years, if ever. 

Aw, shucks, man, don't say that. Please don't say that....