RIP John Barry

Charlie Brigden

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

So I guess ten revisions of the same cue are not an option. Gotta love the old school approach.

It's almost as funny as Bernard Herrmann giving intructions to Brian DePalma.

Karol

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

It's almost as funny as Bernard Herrmann giving instructions to Brian DePalma.

Karol

Eh? Please explain, if you will.

There was an essay by the director recounting his working relationship with Herrmann. Who liked to give intructions as to how the opening sequence should look like, describing it shot-by-shot so he can write music for it. And De Palma ended up being grateful to the old grouch. There was also a mention Herrmann couldn't stand the picture being temp-tracked with his own music so the spotting session would continue with no sound.

I tried to find the article, but I can't find it. Anyone?

Karol

The brilliant John Barry's death made me re-visit his stunning "Out of Africa" Soundtrack, one of the first in my collection. This in turn led me to look for an expanded edition, which I thought surely must exist, and I was surprised that the only alternative was a slightly expanded Varèse Sarabande Re-Recording

Any opinions on the Varèse, and does anyone know why one of the most acclaimed soundtracks in history has never been given an official expanded edition? (ala Dances w/ Wolves, twice).

I haven't seen Out Of Africa since it's debut on home video. I'm not sure how much music is missing and the Varese recording doesn't make mention of how much music was omitted from the original album, all the liner notes mention is that they added cues left off the album.

If the score was recorded in the USA, well re-use fees is your answer or Varese chose to stick as close to Barry's original presentation.

Somewhere in Time is one of those must have scores if you collect film scores in general, and John Barry in particular. Seriously it was a huge score back in the day.

From today's New York Post- Thanks to Brad Wills at FSM for finding this:

http://www.nypost.co...HMm8BMJCzDPTGGL

When Barbra Streisand tried to meddle with his music for "The Prince of Tides," her directorial debut, Barry snapped: "You don't buy a dog and do the barking yourself."

She told him she loved all his scores. He replied: "Yup. And I wrote them all without you." And quit the movie.

ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO

That is a GREAT story

Just wondering .John Barry might be the only film composer other than Williams that the "mainstream" public might have heard of (because of the Bond scores). Was there any mention of his death in regular news programs and entertainment news shows?

If not is that what we have to expect when Williams passes on?

Just wondering .John Barry might be the only film composer other than Williams that the "mainstream" public might have heard of (because of the Bond scores). Was there any mention of his death in regular news programs and entertainment news shows?

I don't know where you live, Mark (my atlas doesn't have an "Ethereal Plain Of Shadows", just Manchester ;) ) but in the U.K., it was in every newspaper, and in every major news bulletin. When The Master finally retires to the great podium in the sky, I suspect that the U.S.A. will mark his death with extensive coverage - N.B.C. especially so, for obvious reasons.

Classic F.M. will run a 2-hour programme dedicated to his life and works, and will play all the best bits of his scores...performed by the COP, because to play the O.S.T.s would cost more.

The broadsheets over here will be respectful, but a little snooty, as befits "this kind of music", and the red tops, will probably run with a story saying "'My last night with Big Johnny W.' says loved-up second violinist". It's the respect, you see...

Definitely. The media made a pretty big effort to report it, interviewing Sir George Martin and John Glen. Though sadly, they only seemed to focus on his songs (i.e. Bond and Born Free), not his incidental music. Which is a shame.

Frankly I think Barry got more mention in the public than Goldsmith did.

I've seen quite a bit of write ups for him. You're not going to see a ton of coverage, most popular musicians don't even get that much attention either, unless it's someone like Elvis or MJ.

However I'm sure Williams will get more coverage than any film composer when he dies. I know how important that is to some......

RIP! Very sad news. I'm not familiar at all with Barry's works, so I listened to a wonderful medley of James Bond music, performed by the London Symphony Orchestra on Classic Film Themes.

(As a sidenote, I recommend this arrangement to anybody...I've only seen/heard a few Bond films/scores, but I lobve it. Here's the Amazon link, you can also purchase the individual track on iTunes. http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Film-Themes/dp/B000QQU3SW )

ok I was just asking. I didn't watch the news for a few days

John Williams has composed for the NFL, the Olympics, and the President. He won't go unnoticed.

That pales in comparison to Star Wars, though.

ok I was just asking. I didn't watch the news for a few days

John Williams has composed for the NFL, the Olympics, and the President. He won't go unnoticed.

That pales in comparison to Star Wars, though.

Or Jaws.

Thank you for further proving my point.

The brilliant John Barry's death made me re-visit his stunning "Out of Africa" Soundtrack, one of the first in my collection. This in turn led me to look for an expanded edition, which I thought surely must exist, and I was surprised that the only alternative was a slightly expanded Varèse Sarabande Re-Recording

Any opinions on the Varèse, and does anyone know why one of the most acclaimed soundtracks in history has never been given an official expanded edition? (ala Dances w/ Wolves, twice).

According to Barry, there was around 35 minutes of music s perhaps the Varese is near complete?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0X6A0WJPw

I actually did a blog entry last week (based in large part on the excellent BBC documentary Quint put up for us--so I owe you on that one, buddy) that compares composing music with the craft of writing. I forgot to mention it here. If anyone's interested, here's the link.

- Uni

I actually did a blog entry last week (based in large part on the excellent BBC documentary Quint put up for us--so I owe you on that one, buddy) that compares composing music with the craft of writing. I forgot to mention it here. If anyone's interested, here's the link.

- Uni

I just read it. Very interesting. :)

Karol