Scores that surprise you.

Kevin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some will kill me for this but... I just discovered Poledouris' "Conan". My God, this is amazing music. And this is the kind of music we need to hear more in epic blockbusters!

Some day, if I become a famous film-maker, I'll bring back this type of scoring. Believe me! Belieeeveee meeee!

I never even bothered to finish CutThroat Island. Terrible film. Worse than Hook. If some enjoy it as a guilty pleasure, more power to ya, but I can't do it. I also have mixed feelings about the score, and seeing the first half of the film didn't help. I appreciate its traditional orchestral swashbucklingness, but it's just so annoyingly...big. Doesn't let up very often, and when it does, the quieter music rubs me the wrong way somehow. I bought the complete soundtrack, but I ended up making a playlist that mimics the OST because the complete release is just too much for me most of the time.

I actually prefer CutThroat to any of the Disney pirates films.

There's something so enjoyable in watching Frank Langella ham it up.

The score is amazing. I love that bombast.

I'd say the first Pirates is about a million times better than CutThroat, but with the others, it's more of a toss-up.

Hahaha

Pirates 2 and 3 have diluted the appeal of the first for me. I wish I could go to Lacuna, Inc. and erase those two.

Sometimes Temp-track-itis bothers me, sometimes not. Cutthroat bothered me for some reason. And often times, I love bombast, like ID4.

• 2 months later...

I have to co-sign with Breathmask on Wall-E. I wasn't blown away by Newman's previous Pixar score Finding Nemo, but for Wall-E he managed to keep his quirky voice but infuse humanity in the robot. Has some of Newman's best ever orchestral writing in pivotal moments.

Found some more:

Daybreakers

Copernicus' Star

Prince and the Pauper (Korngold)

Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace

I was impressed with WALL-E in the context of the film, and I was eager to buy the OST (my first Thomas Newman album). I'm sad to say, though, that it doesn't satisfy me as a standalone listening experience. Not entirely sure why, but the quirkiness just doesn't do it for me. The only parts I still really unabashedly love are the brassy fanfares for the Axiom - those are pretty cool.