GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I think there's a reason they didn't but I won't say here as it'd be a spoiler.

To be clear, everyone is welcome to discuss anything they like about the books or future episodes, etc. You just gotta put it in a spoiler block, that's all.

So I'm wondering what are they going to do with like eight story threads in the remaining episode. The spoilers I know don't give me any ideas.

(PS: I'd prefer Game of Thrones over Lost with all its faults (and they're many) and really inferior score. I possibly wouldn't have said the same a few years ago, but it seems to me these days that GoT is way more fun to watch.)

So let's see, in next week's episode we need to see:

1 Arya and The Hound - Did they venture into the Eyrie or not? Will The Hound survive his neck wound?

2 Brienne and Podrick - Will they arrive at The Eyrie? Will they find Sansa there?

3 Sansa and Petyr - What are they getting up to in The Eyrie now?

4 Stannis and Melisandre - What did Stannis do with the gold? Why did Melisandre want his daughter to come? Where are they going? Are they finally heading to The Wall?

5 Jon Snow - Will he get to meet Mance north of The Wall?

6 Sam and everyone left at The Wall - Will they be able to withstand another night's attack?

7 Tyrion - Will he be executed? If not, how does he get out of it?

8 Jamie - Will he go to Casterly Rock and marry someone and pop out babies like his father wants?

9 Cercei - Will she marry Loras Tyrell like her father wants?

10 Ramsay Snow & Roose Bolton & Theon Greyjoy - We might not see these guys, their story might be done for the season....

11 Balon Greyjoy & Yara Greyjoy - We haven't seen them all season, apart from Yara's one-episode attempt to free Theon. What are they up to now? Isn't Balon supposed to be one of the Five in the "War of Five Kings"?

12 Danaerys & her company in Meereen - Surely we need to see them in the final episode, but there storyline has no pressing issues currently. No idea what they'll get up to next week or how their season's story will end. Maybe we won't see them?

13 Bran & Jojen and Meera Reed - What will they find North of the Wall?

Who am I forgetting?

And damn, that's a lot to wrap up in one episode (even one extra-long one!)

You don't think we'll see Brienne & Podrick, Sansa & Petyr, Stannis & Melisandre, Jon Snow, Castle Black, The Boltons, the Greyjoys, or Bran and the Reeds?

Bullocks!!

They've used 20 episodes to adapt a long book. I wonder what book readers think of the overall results and time distribution.

It's not really 20 episodes. More like 10 episodes + some of this season's storylines.

I think it is actually pretty close to 20 episodes. The material corresponding to bits of Books 4 and 5 doesn't amount to a lot of screen time at all.

Will likely see:

1 Arya and The Hound - Did they venture into the Eyrie or not? Will The Hound survive his neck wound?

4 Stannis and Melisandre - What did Stannis do with the gold? Why did Melisandre want his daughter to come? Where are they going? Are they finally heading to The Wall

5 Jon Snow - Will he get to meet Mance north of The Wall?

6 Sam and everyone left at The Wall - Will they be able to withstand another night's attack?

7 Tyrion - Will he be executed? If not, how does he get out of it?
8 Jamie - Will he go to Casterly Rock and marry someone and pop out babies like his father wants?

3 Sansa and Petyr - What are they getting up to in The Eyrie now?

12 Danaerys & her company in Meereen - Surely we need to see them in the final episode, but there storyline has no pressing issues currently. No idea what they'll get up to next week or how their season's story will end. Maybe we won't see them?

13 Bran & Jojen and Meera Reed - What will they find North of the Wall?

I can see some of these being fused together somehow.

Won't be seen:
2 Brienne and Podrick - Will they arrive at The Eyrie? Will they find Sansa there?
9 Cercei - Will she marry Loras Tyrell like her father wants?
10 Ramsay Snow & Roose Bolton & Theon Greyjoy - We might not see these guys, their story might be done for the season....
11 Balon Greyjoy & Yara Greyjoy - We haven't seen them all season, apart from Yara's one-episode attempt to free Theon. What are they up to now? Isn't Balon supposed to be one of the Five in the "War of Five Kings"?

They've used 20 episodes to adapt a long book. I wonder what book readers think of the overall results and time distribution.

I think this season struggled most to distribute the plot stuff. And it all boils down to the "need" to see every single character in each episode. Thus you have a couple of episodes that are nice, but don't really have much going on. And I'm worried how they're going to pull off the finale without it seeming rushed and a bit chaotic.

The last season did a better job of distributing the book material, but it had its own share of flaws.

Here are my guesses about the finale:

• The Sansa and Littlefinger storyline has basically wrapped already for this Season. If we see them in the last episode, it will be nothing more than a brief coda to their thread. The same goes for the Boltons and Reek (I'm not sure whether there'll be a final catch-up with Yara or not). That should leave around an hour to deal with five separate storylines, with an average of just over ten minutes for each of them.
  • In King's Landing, the remainder of Tyrion's story will play out as in the book. We'll also catch up with Tywin and Cersei earlier, as shown in the preview.
  • At the Wall, Jon Snow will meet with Mance and, just when things are looking at their most bleak for the Night's Watch, the cavalry will arrive. I don't think there can be time for much else.
  • In Meereen, there isn't much of a story to be resolved, yet there'll obviously have to be a significant development to end the season. My guess is that the dragons will cause trouble again, this time resulting in human fatalities, forcing Daenerys to have them caged (and making this the first season in which Daenerys's storyline doesn't end on an upbeat note).
  • Near the Vale, Arya and the Hound will bump into Brienne and Pod, and some sort of altercation will ensue. I'm intrigued to find out whether the Hound's fate will be as ambiguous as in the book. Arya will surely have to board a ship in this season. Given that Braavos has already been designed and shown, I was expecting her to arrive there in her final scene, but I'm doubtful now that there will be time for that.
  • Bran and co. will arrive at the mysterious tree on the hill, and will be introduced to Brynden Rivers and the Singers. Some conceptual ideas concerning greenseeing and skinchanging will surely have to be conveyed, but, again, there won't be time for very much.

It actually dawned on my, that apart from Kings Landing, Castle Black and maybe the Eyrie, nothing much happened.

-Bran was seen last season traveling North, and that's really all we ave seen him do this season. Sure they got captured for a bit, escaped, headed up North some more.

-Arya and The Hound traveled to the Eyrie, some people were killed and injured

-Stannis and Ser Davos went to Braavos to ask for a loan to raise an army

-Mellisandre hinted about something involving the Lord Of Light (can't remember the details, she was naked...)

-Dany takes over Mereen and decides to rule Slavers Bay from there, she kick's out Jorah

-Theon becomes Ramsey's thrall, refuses to be freed and betrays the Ironborn.

All of these storylines are spread over a full season but in terms of actual plot, there isnt a lot going on.

The Jon Snow/Castle Black story got quite a bit of exposure this season, but even all of the stuff in Crasters Keep seemed like filler. It's not in the books I believe. The producers NEEDED something there. But it doesnt seem like it will have any bearing on the rest of the show.

The meat of the season was once again in Kings Landing. It does make me wonder. How much time has passed this season?

Tommen was supposed to get married 2 a forthnight (2 weeks) after his brothers funeral, right? And Cersei 2 weeks after that. Since neither event has happened it would mean the season takes place in a period of less then 2 weeks.

The timeline is quite confusing in the show. What makes it even more puzzling is that Bran storyline takes place two books after, say, Oberyn's duel.

Karol

Tommen was supposed to get married 2 a forthnight (2 weeks) after his brothers funeral, right? And Cersei 2 weeks after that. Since neither event has happened it would mean the season takes place in a period of less then 2 weeks.

A bit longer than that, I'd say.

• In Episode 1, Margaery says that her wedding to Joffrey is in two weeks.
  • Pod's visit to Tyrion in prison (Episode 3) seems to occur at least a few days after the wedding, given what he is able to reveal about preparations for the trial.
  • The trial is set to take place two weeks after Pod's visit.
  • I don't see anything to help pin down the Episode 5 scene in which Tywin and Cersei agree that Tommen's wedding will be in two weeks, but it seems reasonable to place it in the second half of the pre-trial fortnight, which would be close to four weeks after the season's opening.
Altogether, this would suggest that five or six weeks have passed in King's Landing so far this season.

The timeline is quite confusing in the show. What makes it even more puzzling is that Bran storyline takes place two books after, say, Oberyn's duel.

But the events at the beginning of Book 5 take place immediately after the end of Book 3 (and run concurrently with the events of Book 4), so the gap isn't really all that significant.

I guess the "Sansa coming down the stairs with dark hair" and "Roose legitimizes Ramsay as they observe The North" did feel season-ending moments for their storylines, so I suppose we won't see them.

Nobody else's storylines have felt like that, so i think we'll see all of them next week.

It'd be lame if, for example, the last we saw of Brienne and Podrick for the season was them taking that fork in the road, or the last we saw of Dany was her kicking out Jorah, or the last we saw of Bran was them escaping from Caster's Keep, etc.

Gonna be a packed episode! It will probably be good though, they tend to be when they are fast paced.

You don't think we'll see Brienne & Podrick, Sansa & Petyr, Stannis & Melisandre, Jon Snow, Castle Black, The Boltons, the Greyjoys, or Bran and the Reeds?

Bullocks!!

Sansa/Littlefinger and Theon/Ramsey won't appear in the finale. All the rest will.

But I'm starting to think they might keep a few things from the end of Book 3 for the beginning of Season 4! Else, as some have pointed out, it could feel way too rushed.

You mean Season 5?

And I thought you hadn't read Book 3 yet?

Talking about Margaery, I find it surprising that both her and Olenna have completely disappeared in the second half of the season. They had major scenes in the first three episodes or so, then I think we only briefly saw them during Tyrion's trial, and that's it. They didn't have any line of dialogue since episode 4, I believe.

True. Didn't Olenna depart for the Reach in Episode 4, though? Since then, virtually everything in King's Landing that I can recall has been concerned with the trials of Tyrion, which I guess Margaery doesn't have much to say about...

I'm starting to think they might keep a few things from the end of Book 3 for the beginning of Season [5]!

Anything in particular?

Again, I'm not saying Lost is better a better series. It is certainly not (in terms of writing at least). But it demonstrated how you could successfully use all the threads in a more coherent and satisfying way, without over-cluttering the storytelling.

Lost was conceived as a TV show though, so they could design the plot lines to match their specific format. GoT, which has to follow the books, is more restricted in that regard.

I don't think the disappearance of Margaery is all that odd.

She was in every episode this season from 1-5. All the King's Landings scenes from 6-7 were basically centered around Tyrion and/or his trial. Episode 8 we only saw King's Landing for the Mountain/Viper duel, and Episode 9 King's Landing wasn't featured at all.

It will be interesting to see if she pops up in Episode 10 or not. I have no idea if she married Tommen or what happens with her in any way, so no spoilers please. I wonder, would she be allowed to live in (or even have a reason to stay in ) King's Landing if she wasn't betrothed to Tommen?

I don't think the disappearance of Margaery is all that odd.

She was in every episode this season from 1-5. All the King's Landings scenes from 6-7 were basically centered around Tyrion and/or his trial. Episode 8 we only saw King's Landing for the Mountain/Viper duel, and Episode 9 King's Landing wasn't featured at all.

It will be interesting to see if she pops up in Episode 10 or not. I have no idea if she married Tommen or what happens with her in any way, so no spoilers please. I wonder, would she be allowed to live in (or even have a reason to stay in ) King's Landing if she wasn't betrothed to Tommen?

She also appeared in episode 6, without any lines. I assume she will appear in the finale.

Yeah, it does seem like too many major events for just one episode, and I'm expecting to see all five of them! (With one reservation which I'll mention below.) By the way, the last thing you listed doesn't appear until Book 5.

The second one is one of the things I believe will be kept for Season 5

It's possible. In fact, as far as I know, it's not even absolutely certain that this storyline will be included at all in the TV series. If it does appear this year, then the makers have done a great job of keeping it under wraps. On the other hand, it would require only a very brief scene to introduce it, in which Michelle Fairley might only appear for a single shot. I think it's more likely to be included than not.

Nah, its too much to throw that in the mix too. I believe they're saving that for the next season. It was a cliffhanger plot point in the 3rd book anyway.

The third event on BB's list should have wrapped up this episode, no matter what others are saying. It would have been much more effective.

The fourth could be in the next season but I have a feeling they'll wrap it up here.

On top of that, they're going to give something to Dany and Theon too. The finale sounds like a mess. But I guess I'll have to trust they know what they're doing.

A great, thrilling episode.

Sam had two very good dialog scenes at the beginning.

Splendid continuous 360-degree shot of the battle scene in the fort at some point.

That anchor/pendulum thing was cool.

This episode shows that catchphrases DO NOT work in drama!

"You know nothing Jon Snow."

As final words, it's predictable, cheesy and dramatically false.

My feelings. I feared she would say that, was glad she didn't-- and then she did.

:P

She didnt do much this season. All we did was saw her pillage and kill.

Did Gilly kill Janos Slynt?

Of course not; he's cowering in a corner of the pantry.

However, I thought there was something that looked like a human leg next to where she picked that ham to defend herself with at the end.

I thought I saw Theon in the teaser. Maybe I was imaganing it. Well hopefully he's not in it! One character down, about 10 more to go!

And that last point will be introduced in the end of the episode, likely as the closing shot, and they'll explore it a bit more extensively in the next season, and then they're out of book material. From there, they're on their own.

-Bran was seen last season traveling North, and that's really all we ave seen him do this season. Sure they got captured for a bit, escaped, headed up North some more.

The only good that did was show us that he could control Hodor in warg mode.

Otherwise ,they might have skipped the storyline for half the season, and when returning to it, we could have easily believed they had traveled a great distance in the meantime.

The ultimate revelation had better be good, especially as they'll have to come back (!).

-Arya and The Hound traveled to the Eyrie, some people were killed and injured

That was good; great characterization of both.

-Mellisandre hinted about something involving the Lord Of Light (can't remember the details, she was naked...)

She talked in that scene?!

I suppose Jorah will come back as the unexpected savior at the last minute of a hopeless situation.

The Jon Snow/Castle Black story got quite a bit of exposure this season, but even all of the stuff in Crasters Keep seemed like filler. It's not in the books I believe. The producers NEEDED something there. But it doesnt seem like it will have any bearing on the rest of the show.

Craster's Keep: it gave us Gilly, which helps Sam grow as a man and "warrior", plus a bit more about the White Walkers and their interest in babies; we now know what they become.

A lot of it was filler, though.

Oh, the whole thing also got rid of plenty of characters, starting with the head Crow, leaving room for a bit of conflict and evolution at Castle Black.

The meat of the season was once again in Kings Landing. It does make me wonder. How much time has passed this season?

Pity we didn't see more of Margaery.

No one seems to have mentioned Maeaster Aemon's scene from this episode yet. Peter Vaughan is a wonderful actor and surely had his best scene of the entire series so far there.

Great episode, one of the better ones of the show in general. Siege was well mounted and there was battle storytelling here to rival Helms Deep. Quality special effects and convincing scope, you can see they weighted the budget at this end of the season.

I agree. But the excellence of episode 8's action and it's epic nature highlighted more then ever how bad the music on the show really is.

We got great visuals, but really second rate, barebones, overly synthetic, emotionally unengaging music.

You would expect a composer to really sink his teeth into this stuff, but instead what Ramin gave us is just the same predictable stuff.

Yeah, the music often betrays the show's budget and limitations in scope, which is a shame. Someone should tracking those scenes with Howard Shore Helm's Deep action!

Turns out Tyrion is in Toronto!

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-culture/2014/06/09/big-chance-awkward-run-peter-dinklage/

Time to go hunting for a dwarf? Wonder how long he's here for.

It can't be the budget!

Lost used an orchestra, every single Star Trek TV show used one. Even if they were small ones.

I'm not using the budget to excuse the music. I'm just saying the music gives the impression of a battle done on a restricted budget.

No one seems to have mentioned Maeaster Aemon's scene from this episode yet. Peter Vaughan is a wonderful actor and surely had his best scene of the entire series so far there.

The second great scene with Sam I was thinking of in my previous message.

Agreed.

Yeah, it does seem like too many major events for just one episode, and I'm expecting to see all five of them! (With one reservation which I'll mention below.) By the way, the last thing you listed doesn't appear until Book 5.

The second one is one of the things I believe will be kept for Season 5

It's possible. In fact, as far as I know, it's not even absolutely certain that this storyline will be included at all in the TV series. If it does appear this year, then the makers have done a great job of keeping it under wraps. On the other hand, it would require only a very brief scene to introduce it, in which Michelle Fairley might only appear for a single shot. I think it's more likely to be included than not.

That Lena Headey photo (on Instagram, I think)is definitely hinting at it, though...

Karol

Great review, Alvar!

No one has mentioned the scene with the big fucking chain scraping along the wall, that was badass! I want that for my house.

the Viper versus Mountain duel was OK. I liked the choreography for Oberyn. But Jon and Styr was much better. Neil Marshall is really the best director they have when it comes to action. The shooting schedule for this ep must have been the longest ever. Lots of complicated fight scenes and shots there.

That anchor/pendulum thing was cool.

- One aspect of the battle I truly dug is the diversity of the "techniques" used to defend the Wall and of the defenders (the archers hanging by a rope, the cook (that guy was hilarious! ROTFLMAO And frightening, too!), the barrels of oil, the scythe, Ghost...)

No one has mentioned the scene with the big fucking chain scraping along the wall, that was badass! I want that for my house.

:huh:

- I hope the capture of Tormund won't lead to a cliché "Oh, no! The Wildling has escaped, even though we were extemely careful with our prisoner" scene later on.

It won't. Tormund will be of some use in the next season.