GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

yea I don't really understand why the walkers didn't just follow the last of the men into the water and finish them off

11130494_380422995485355_900834462481430

Great drawing; thanks!

Two things I forgot: firstly, I was also afraid Jon wouldn't make it-- especially after Sam told Gilly he always returns;-- secondly, it sucks that Jorah got infected with that terrible disease, and a terrible way to kill off a great character.

And a question: since several directors work at the same time in various locations around the world, who is the one director listed in the opening credits?

Do they pick the one with the most footage in the episode?

Is there for each episode a supervising director that oversees the production and editing?

As for the score for the battle, I like; there were some nice moments-- if I recall, at the beginning, and back in the hall.

Oh, and something else: why doesn't Melisandre uses her magic to melt the snow, keep Stanis' army warm, ...?

Great drawing; thanks!

If you want to see more: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19762&page=115#entry1031746

;)

secondly, it sucks that Jorah got infected with that terrible disease, and a terrible way to kill off a great character.

He's not dead yet.

Thanks for the link; splendid stuff.

As for Jorah, there does not seem to be much hope for him; does he intend to die fighting in front of his beloved Khaleesi? He can't convince her of giving him a second chance by fighting gladiators.

:(

One more thing I forgot in my previous messages, which the review linked to mentions: the zombie kids were creepy-- and that's what helped them kill the hot new female warrior.

yea I don't really understand why the walkers didn't just follow the last of the men into the water and finish them off

I wonder if the White Walkers or their wights can operate well enough in water...

In any case, I don't think they were that bothered. The Night's King seemed to be happy to give the escapees a display of his abilities as they rowed away. I found that very reminiscent of the opening scene (of Season 1) in which the White Walker tosses a Night's Watchman's head to Will (the subsequent deserter). It's pretty clear that he could have killed Will too if he'd wanted to, but instead allowed Will to escape. In both cases, it seems as though the White Walkers are deliberately sending a message.

(The only other occasion on which we see a White Walker not fetching a Craster kid is at the Fist of the First Men, where one rides past Sam and apparently glares at him but, again, is not concerned about killing him; another message, perhaps.)

And a question: since several directors work at the same time in various locations around the world, who is the one director listed in the opening credits?

Do they pick the one with the most footage in the episode?

Is there for each episode a supervising director that oversees the production and editing?

Each episode has a director, who would be present at all of the scenes for that episode no matter where they're filmed, except perhaps the sort of footage that can be done by a second unit. At least, that's how I understand it. Sometimes scenes get moved from their intended episode to another in post-production, so a little bit of one director's work might feature in another director's episode, but these instances would be exceptions. I'm not sure how much of a role the director plays at the editing stage. I assume that Benioff and Weiss are basically in charge of the final cut.

Oh, and something else: why doesn't Melisandre uses her magic to melt the snow, keep Stanis' army warm, ...?

We know from one of the books that she struggles to make all of her magic look effortless but that, in reality, what she does takes an awful lot out of her. Making enough heat to warm an army is likely beyond what she could do by herself.

It's great that at no point while watching did I think to myself this is a TV battle. Even the Wall siege, as splendid as it was, couldn't quite manage to fully disguise its small screen origins.

Actually, how much rewatch value do you think GOT has? I really can't imagine at this point that I'll ever revisit the series say in 5 or 10 years time.

I bought season 1 after torrenting it but never found the urge to want to sit through it again and it eventually ended up on eBay.

It's great that at no point while watching did I think to myself this is a TV battle. Even the Wall siege, as splendid as it was, couldn't quite manage to fully disguise its small screen origins.

It does raise the bar concerning the eventual White Walkers versus Deanerys and her armies and dragons battle that we will hopefully get oneday.

They could release the last episodes in cinema though, like they did with the last 2 of season 4.

As long as the budget and schedule are sufficient, there really doesn't need to be a noticeable difference between a TV and film production.

That won't happen.

I doubt HBO or any studio would risk 300 million on an R rated fim.

Even a very successful one like Expendables 2 only made a little over 300 million. Fury Road, despite all the accolades made even less so far I think.

A GOT film of such a budget would have to be PG13, which will probably annoy a lot of fans.

It probably won't happen, but those rather poor examples didn't really have a huge pre-existing fanbase which was cultivated after a massively successful television and cultural phenomenon.

A movie would be a license to print money.

Please, no movie. Keep Game of Thrones a television series. But give it the scope of a movie to make sure everybody knows it's not just any TV show. That's the whole point of this megabudgeted show, right? In fact, isn't that the whole point of HBO?

Now if they'd do a limited cinema release for the final few episodes, coinciding with their initial broadcasts, that'd be cool. But Game of Thrones is a television series, first and foremost.

You're right, but I would selfishly like a movie purely because I'd love the event, hype and ceremony of it ;)

Haven't had that sort of cinematic experience since RotK, sadly. Is it so bad to want to feel that sense of occasion and deliverance again?

I think that a cinema release, roughly coinciding with the initial broadcast, is reasonably likely for the final one or two instalments, provided the brand remains as successful over the next couple of years. It could be built up into a pretty big cultural event. But I can't see the budget going up to those levels. I think a feature length episode (say 150 mins) would be fortunate to have a budget of $50 million; that would be more than doubling the rate of dollars per minute from the current standards. But, given what they were able to do in Hardhome, that sort of budget could still be enough for something spectacular.

Neat! :)

This just illustrates very clearly how amazing production this series is. Spared no expense.

We know from one of the books that she struggles to make all of her magic look effortless but that, in reality, what she does takes an awful lot out of her. Making enough heat to warm an army is likely beyond what she could do by herself.

Thanks for all the explanations!

As for Jorah, there does not seem to be much hope for him

Remember that Stannis' daughter had the same disease he has, and she survived.

It is?

I didn't remember that-- nor how come it is limited to her face, even though Stanis discussed it with her a couple of épisodes ago.

Also, the exiles that contaminated him do seem to live long enough to have their own society.

Still, it sucks. Poor Jorah.

Same here.

Actually, how much rewatch value do you think GOT has? I really can't imagine at this point that I'll ever revisit the series say in 5 or 10 years time.

So few episodes have been shown over such a long period of time, watching it all in a short time certainly is a different experience; that's what I did last year, catching up on the first three seasons before watching season 4.

Later? I don't know for certain, but there are such great character arcs or scenes (Jaime, ...) & action moments that it's not so easily discardable.

Incidentally, I have been watching over Lost; I did it once when I got the complete set, and I'm very happy to Watch it again; I was missing it.

The same goes with Twin Peaks, which I will keep watching once in a while.

Again, the main difference is that it takes a long time in Game of Thrones for major things to happen; there's a lot of introduction, preparation, exposition, ..., whereas Lost's episodes featured self-contained stories (however connected to the rest they were), and twin Peaks was mostly focused on one big mystery (with lots of new ones along the way).

Thanks to the link to the map, BloodBoal!

Whatever one makes of it, I don't see that "cheap" really fits as a description of the event. The story has been building towards it since Season 2...

About motherfuckin' time!

dany+dragon.jpg

"Jeez, that KK. is one sick customer" is what I was thinking before clicking the spoiler button.

Whatever one makes of it, I don't see that "cheap" really fits as a description of the event. The story has been building towards it since Season 2...

About motherfuckin' time!

dany+dragon.jpg

"Jeez, that KK. is one sick customer" is what I was thinking before clicking the spoiler button.

Oh God no! The Shireen scene was hard to watch...had to look away for a sec or two. The screaming...makes you kind of sick. Effective stuff though, but still sad to see it happen.

As for the rest of the episode, as BB said, it was a bit underwhelming. It had the least shock value, and some storylines are meandering way too much, particularly Arya's and Dorne. All the events of the latter now seem like a pointless affair when you look back at it. But Dorne has a bigger part to play yet, so I look forward to that in the next season.

It may have all been predictable, but it's just satisfying to finally see it happen. Plus episode 10 still has a particular goodie saved for us.

They are really lumping all the best stuff to these last few episodes of this season.

Stannis' storyline has been building to this for a long time and it got its chilling climax here. While it differs from the novels it really shows the tragedy of a man who is ever the second best, a hard but just man who desires the greatness that was never meant to be his and he still goes after it with great conviction in the end unable to admit even to himself he should quit and goes to the bitter end for this sacrificing everything for it. Martin also shows the fallible nature of human beings in their belief in prophecies and destinies as the driving force of their lives or trying to make them true in themselves. Melisandre's visions are not unerring and her interpretation of events is human and thus fallible. She has sought to make the prophecy come true as she has interpreted Stannis to the champion of the Lord of Light, which is just her very subjective reading on the omens. She is basically forcing Stannis into a mold and has found him to be a willing subject as he so hard seeks to make himself into a king, which he obviously should never be. This also shows how religious fanaticism when finding suitable ground from which to grow and gain strength can literally spell the doom of those believers but also of all those around them. Everything becomes just a means to an end in their narrow world view, expendable for loftier goals. In a very human and universal way Martin also shows how they are always thinking they are doing good but that their goal is worthy of any sacrifice, any price, usually paid by others as they serve a higher purpose which justifies all means.

Omens and prophecies are also dangerous things, always open to interpretation or even lacking all truth and verity, which is mirrored in Stannis's story so perfectly. Melisandre wants Stannis to be Azor Ahai so she seeks to make it so even by bending the prophecy to her aims so her personal system of beliefs won't come into question. She honestly believes so but in so errs on the worse side of such visions. She serves herself as much as her god in this as she also takes pride in being the person to find this bringer of light, the warrior of good against the dark. Stannis is the willing target of these believes when he constantly needs reassurance of his just claim to the throne and indeed of his destiny. They fuel each other's delusions and this episode showed the heights of this hubris, a sum of many unfortunate events and characteristics of these people.

As per usual we do not know if the prophecy of Azor Ahai is true or just big words. Is Daenerys the prophecied saviour born in the midst of fire and salt under the red comet? Is it Stannis? Is belief enough and can you make a prophecy true by gathering right ingredients and obstinately forcing the prophecy time and time again until it fits your prerequisites? We'll see if royal blood will buy Stannis the victory over Boltons. He has now lost everything, what is his life worth after this when he has sold his soul to his black hole of a need for success, adoration and ultimately love.

And finally Daenerys' story took flight so to speak. Quite a Colosseum-like arena in those scenes, wasn't it? I immediately thought of The Gladiator when I saw the overhead shot of the canopies. :)

I'm starting to believe Davos may kill Stannis.

And finally Daenerys' story took flight so to speak. Quite a Colosseum-like arena in those scenes, wasn't it? I immediately thought of The Gladiator when I saw the overhead shot of the canopies. :)

Yeah, it reminded me of that film too.

Though it seems a lot of people were rather thinking of AOTC when seeing that sequence (with Drogon's arrival to save the day similar to Yoda's arrival aboard the Clones' ship).

I don't think AOTC unless I absolutely have to.

Let's see what will kill Stannis. Davos for good or for ill is loyal to a fault to Stannis. Will this horrific act break the camel's back for Davos is an interesting question. And what did Stannis buy with the royal blood in the end? What kind of magic can Melisandre weave to ensure their victory, considering how taxing it is? See next time on the same Throne time same Throne channel!