GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I feel like there should be 2 episodes left this season, not one. A lot to wrap up. Well, I have faith in the writers, as always.

:lol: I had no memory of such a cliffhanger in book 5. It has been what, 3 or 4 years since I read it. Perhaps I should revisit it.

I always suspected that:

Jon would live through his direwolf (with his warg-like abilities) or something.

About that (book 5 spoilers):

I'm thinking they're going to end the season with Jon supposedly dead, because it's too awesome a cliffhanger for them not to use it.

Yeah, it would certainly have a major immediate impact. My scepticism comes from how much that impact could be diluted by the nine-month break. If Jon really is dead then surely they would want to make that absolutely clear now for maximum effect. If, as is more likely, he's not exactly dead, then the fact of Kit Harington being on set would give the game away well in advance of the Season 6 broadcast. Unless, of course, Jon Snow remains alive but his original body is dead. It could seem like a cop-out to make people think he was dead but then have him return in another form in Season 6, rather than properly establish what has really happened at the end of this season. I guess it all depends upon how it is handled.

I know that in the book, Melisandre, Shireen and Selyse stay at the Wall, so I think it's possible that in the book-verse, Melisandre may sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon, but here, in the show, since Shireen has already been sacrificed and Melisandre is with Stannis' army, I don't see how Jon could be resurrected.

Yeah...not immediately, in any case. There are the "ice cells" at the Wall where bodies can be stored.

I believe they will "kill" Jon at the end of the season, and that Jon will either be: a) not actually dead or b) dead but will be resurrected somehow (both in the books and the show)

The other possibility is that Jon's final utterance ("Ghost...") indicates that he has warged into his wolf before dying. The Prologue to A Dance with Dragons goes into quite a bit of detail about how a skinchanger can live on through the body of another creature after the death of his own human body, and this was shown in Game of Thrones when Orell was killed but took over the body of his eagle. In the book, Melisandre sees a vision of Jon as a man, then a wolf, then a man again, which many people interpret as a prediction of his fate.

But the fact that Jon Snow is a warg hasn't been established in the show. Not yet, anyway.

I believe they will "kill" Jon at the end of the season, and that Jon will either be: a) not actually dead or b) dead but will be resurrected somehow (both in the books and the show)

A Dance with Dragons goes into quite a bit of detail about how a skinchanger can live on through the body of another creature after the death of his own human body, and this was shown in Game of Thrones when Orell was killed but took over the body of his eagle. In the book, Melisandre sees a vision of Jon as a man, then a wolf, then a man again, which many people interpret as a prediction of his fate.

The other possibility is that Jon's final utterance ("Ghost...") indicates that he has warged into his wolf before dying. The Prologue to

But the fact that Jon Snow is a warg hasn't been established in the show. Not yet, anyway.

This. And I hope this gets established for the others too. I was always disappointed with how Martin neglected the significance of the direwolves for the other children.

Yea I'm wrapping your entire post in a spoiler. Be mindful of us non-book-readers!

Does anyone else think that the show could have maybe spent more time on the dire situation that Stannis' army is in?

How he came to the descision to sacrifice his own daughter after at first finding such an idea offensive.

Basically we hear in a previous episode how the snow has caught up with them and they were kinda stuck, and now we see some burning tents. Oh well, better burn the daughter!

It all feels a bit rushed, which is odd in a show this slow.

Agree, but 5 seasons and their ups and downs has taught me to turn a blind eye toward the plot trivialities and instead just be thankful for the fleeting thrills and solid pacing which avoids grinding to a halt whenever it can.

The Season 5 OST is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo-lF9fUuCDSGk_vsi-HsC8icjT0K5quA

Maybe the "Mother's Mercy" track will have a theme that is a clue for you book readers :)

Heavy usage of RoC so I imagine it'd for Cersei's WoS

The Season 5 OST is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo-lF9fUuCDSGk_vsi-HsC8icjT0K5quA

Maybe the "Mother's Mercy" track will have a theme that is a clue for you book readers :)

Heavy usage of RoC so I imagine it'd for Cersei's WoS

Yup.

That particular theme has been largely absent this season despite the ubiquitous nature it had in seasons 2-3. I guess it makes sense thematically.

I guess it becomes a sort of opposite of its original meaning in the story.

Yeah, when you do hear it it's broken and weak. Certainly nothing like the almost majestic settings we heard previously, particularly in Season 3.

My opinion hasn't changed on that score either. It's not one I revisit often by Zimmer's music fit the picture and worked really well with the pop music.

The sacrifice was horrible, as expected. What will Davos do, indeed?

I didn't expect that attack in the arena, and this provided Jorah with an opportunity for redemption in Daenerys' eyes; I hope she'll return quickly with the other dragons to save Tyrion and company.

I'm glad we're glad of that noblemant she had decided to marry for political reasons.

Dorne: what's with the viper sister?

It felt like there was something missing. In one scene she was the arrogant bitch she is, she defied her brother-king, turned her back on him when he warned her, then she was almost in tears, kneeling before him, and finally, empathizing with Jaime.

I could imagine her renewing her allegiance to live another day and plot against her brother, and therefore acting as was expected, but I didn't understand the scene with Jaime; that she might approach him to set a trap was highly probable, but she sounded sincere-- or maybe the trap is so good because she was sincere in expressing her feelings, but she won't let go of her vengeful intentions.

The condition for Bronn's pardon was a bit silly and pointless; not that much of a laugh.

The prince is so uninteresting I didn't even remember he had been there at the time of the kidnapping & assassination attempts.

Great king (his uncle), however.

Bloodboal: I had not thought of this, but I suppose the Mother of Dragons is immune to such diseases.

I thought it was just me who forgot who "that guy" was!

A lot of GOT characters are called "that guy" in my mind.

Same here. That he was a Kingsguard and thus had been involved in the killing of Arya's family and/or friends was obvious, but I didn't remember the specifics, in particular that he was the one who had killed her "dance teacher".

Thanks for the reminder, Incanus!

And thank you for the map, Jay!

BB why are you just posting this now? It was way back in episode 4 of this year that everyone was talking about Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. I was honestly surprised the episode didn't end with the R + L = J confirmation. That episode was either way too early setup for something that will be revealed on Sunday, or massive misdirection and the R + L = J theory has been wrong all along, a huge misdirection from either Martin or B&W.

Yes, I try my very best to cling onto the entertainment surprises people once took for granted before the info harvest that is the internet.

At the very least my approach ensures I'll garner more enjoyment from greatness than you guys by default. Which to me is priceless.

Btw, I unfortunately already know about the Targaryen twist, if that's what you guys are talking about (some random tit on Facebook revealed that to me months ago). At the time I thought he was speaking about actual published events from the books, but is it merely a theory? In that case maybe Martin is rewriting it as a consequence.

I sometimes wonder if the reason Book 6 is taking so long is because Martin is purposely rewriting as much as possible to be different than what happened on the show

I sometimes wonder if the reason Book 6 is taking so long is because Martin is purposely rewriting as much as possible to be different than what happened on the show

Maybe, but it would be foolish to abandon long gestating plot threads like that

I don't see why he would do that.

No, I think the reason why it's taking him so long to write Book 6 is simply because he's a slow writer (and these are massive books).

And because he's turned out to be a bit of a limelight whore. Which is fair enough.

George R. R. Martin:

I've been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you're halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can't do that.

As for changing upcoming events in order to be different from the show, that would have been more easily achieved by simply not telling Benioff and Weiss about his plans for the events in question!